Forum: Writing Mary Sue: the Mother of Challenges

Discussing: Halbarad

Halbarad

So, um, what does the canon have to say about Halbarad's love life?

Re: Halbarad

Absolutely nothing. Write away!

He has so much potential!

I see him as galant, yet with a quiet reserve....sturdy & intelligent but intuitive in the way men used to the wilds are.....

I really am intrigued by the possibilities...Too bad I have to work for a living.

Give me a seed and I may throw an illustration at you....
What do you think he looks like?

E.W.

*bounce*

Wow, what a lovely prospect!

Mm, let's see. He's fairly big; lean, but because of his lifestyle more than his genes. He leads with his shoulders. He has the sort of face that could get away with a moustache (!). His hair is still mostly black, though he's only a few years younger than Aragorn, and he tends to wear it down. He's shy. He's a tremendously good captain, but he's shy and he turns pink when he's embarrassed.

My ideas are very mutable, so let me know what you're thinking. If you're looking for inspiration, I can toss you a story outline.

Stulti, psyched

I'm thinking of a trimmed down, lighter boned, Tom Selek sort. He blushes beautifully AND has great mustache face!

E.W.

Alrighty. Dusk and Dawn is in the beta section. It's short. I had a great long chapter book all planned, with lots of action and mushy love scenes, but it got utterly hijacked by a noisy OMC and Aragorn pulling a Dilbert. I salvaged the planned beginning and end from the chaos, and I want to know:

Does it work as a vignette all by its lonesome?
Is it choppy? Where?

Thanks, y'all!

I don't know what I'm going to do with all that material involving Amlong and his big mouth now. Geez.

- Stulti

Lovely vignette. I think it works beautifully all by itself but I would love to see more about what lead up to the battle. Hmmm...the only thing you might want to change is to mention Halbarad's name at the beginning of the fic. But other than that, I think it's great! I love Hal. there definitely aren't enough fics about him so write more!!

jen

I think this works well as a vignette. Quiet, poignant, good use of Halbarad's foresight.

The one part that didn't quite make sense to me was the line "and this time the words were all for her" (or something to that effect), because the next thing Aragorn says has to do with all the duties he has to take up before they march on to the next battle.

As for unusable material, join the club. Ergh. ;-)

Ooh, depressing. Poor woman. I'm not good at commenting on writing style, so I can't elaborate when I say that it was a little bit choppy. But I'm sure that the other, more knowledgable people on this list will be more than happy to tell you.

Well Stulti,
Your Halbarad post caused a Nazgul to come up a bite me. Nasty little bugger wouldn't let me go til I wrote the first chapter of a fic. LOL. So thanks for the inspiration!

News From Bree

- jen

I'm not good at commenting on writing style, so I can't elaborate when I say that it was a little bit choppy. But I'm sure that the other, more knowledgable people on this list will be more than happy to tell you.

On a big scale or small? That is, are my sentences bumpy, or is it the progression of thoughts and ideas that needs smoothing? Or both?

Thanks, Klose. I can't improve if nobody tells me what my weak points are!

Stulti

Well Stulti,
Your Halbarad post caused a Nazgul to come up a bite me. Nasty little bugger wouldn't let me go til I wrote the first chapter of a fic. LOL. So thanks for the inspiration!

Woohoo! I'll be following this.

- Stulti

Dusk and Dawn is a nice vignette, Stulti. You sketch the characters with good economy -- I like that. It's how I like to write. (Well, the only way I can write.) Anyway, I would enjoy reading more about Gudrun and Halbarad ... plus your cultural gapfilling that lets in Ranger women as warriors. I have a wife for Halbarad in my unused backstory, but she isn't a warrior. Nice job!

Good luck writing!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Writing Mary Sue: the Mother of Challenges