Forum: Writing Mary Sue: the Mother of Challenges

Discussing: Frodo

Frodo

Do all of you look at someone who finds a 3'6" furry footed, curly haired non human appealing as some sort of sicko?

Eh, so what.

I loved him before EW was more than a gleam in his daddy's eye... so THERE!

Besides... you know what they say about big feet?

Anyway, I read a lot of Frodo romances. I believe they are the hardest to make believable, especially given the context of the story. There is so much going against the poor boy - you basically have to either catch him young - before he comes of age and gets the ring, or after Bilbo has left but before he turns 50 - in which case you have the 'love interest' of the ring itself to contend with, or save your heroine till after he returns from the WotR - when he is essentially broken and too tormented to be much use to anyone. Each approach has some difficulties and it making romances that involve Frodo takes some plotting skills. I have seen well-done treatments of romance at each of the above stages of Frodo's life and would be happy to include links to them in this thread (gotta dig them up - will edit later when I have found them.)

I am also wondering if perhaps no one will even bother open up this link! I mean, I had no idea there was such romantic interest in Legolas, maybe I one of the only few in the world that finds Frodo attractive?

Ariel

Re: Frodo

Well, I can't say that hobbits have ever appealed to me romantically, although clearly they have their own opinions about what's hot and what's not. ;-)

And given the influx of Frodo/Sam stories, I don't know that you're the only one to find either him or Sam attractive, although I understand that that's not *exactly* the pairing you meant . But I think there must be at least some hobbit fanciers out there.

I think you've given a good description of the difficulties involved in writing a Frodo romance--the time frame is so narrow, and there are so many complicating factors. And the protracted childhood/adolescence of hobbits makes it even harder. A hobbit in his tweens is essentially like a sixteen year-old kid, and we all know how well those high school romances tend to go. That makes option one problematic.

The Ring probably wouldn't immediately be a felt presence, as it were--I can't see it being an active... um... competitor for Frodo's affections for quite some time, particularly given that he doesn't ever use it in the Shire. But who knows? Maybe *that* he was single was part of why it was so passive for so long (well, by comparison, at least).

At least with Legolas, I have an undisclosed number of *centuries* to play with, even though, of course, I'm setting the story in the Fourth Age. Makes me rather grateful!

Um... no, that *wasn't* the paring I meant! ;)

I may be just interacting with those of like persuasion but there are at least 50 ladies on an internet group I belong to that are hobbit fanciers (Frodo in particular). On this site there are groups that fancy all the characters (and several at once) and I have noticed that the Frodo fanciers tend to be older, 35-50, single or married late, and few have children. We are also TOTALLY insane. Legolas fanciers tend to be younger - though I am sure there are exceptions to both 'rules' - but that is what the mathmatical averages show.

Despite the difficulties with a Frodo romance, it is possible, both using book canon and by creating an AU. There is also the possibility of him at last finding love in the West, although you do have to stretch this if you don't want it to be a cross species thing. Somehow I just have never bought hobbit/elf pairings... maybe it's a height issue... I don't know... and yes, I know there is some precedence, but apparently even Tolks thought better of pursuing it in his final works. I have seen the Tol Eressea angle done with delicious results in the group I belong to so it is quite possible.

You do have the advantage with Legolas and the 'window of opportunity' but somehow the fact that you have to work in a more confined timeframe means a Fro romance has to be even more well crafted.

Speaking of well crafted Fro romances... here is one from Post WotR that is very special. And Left the Tenderness of Tears is poignant, heartwrenching and deliciously erotic (she borrowed one of the encounters from an early work of mine, the little stinker!, but it is lovely!). It is a case of using a time that was little detailed in the book to best advantage, and she truly does.

I have a pre-ring possession / post ring possession story in the Mary Sue Challenge (though Lurea's is better, I will admit) and I have read a very nice piece by Niphredil called Snowdrops and Roses that has a wonderful OFC in it briefly.

I have also been thinking of doing something with post Bilbo/pre Quest Frodo... something showing how the ring's seduction does ruin his chances of a normal life and family. I have seen some treatments of that period but nothing I would consider good enough to recommend. Hmmm... damned plot bunnies....

>(

Ariel

OH, no, you are not alone by any stretch of the imagination! I've had a giant crush on Frodo since I saw the Rankin/Bass cartoon version of ROTK at age 7 or so (and how sick am I of saying that??). As a girl, I wanted to be a hobbit so I could sail away with Frodo on the White ship. Elijah's portrayal and undeniable good looks only serve to enhance the crush, and provide an entirely separate crush on the actor, but that's another story.

I've begun my share of Frodo-romances, up to and including creating an OC for him. I've got to admit that Clover Proudfoot has more than her fair share of Mary Sue elements, but hey, I just can't resist. I'm a Frodo Fancier, always have been and always will be.

Good, good. So we'll be seeing Clover Proudfoot in action for this challenge, right? How far along is the story?

BTW, Frodo was about the only character portrayal in the Rankin Bass film that I actually agreed with.

Well, obviously you are deficient in imagination, Foul Dwimmerlaik.

Ah, yes, the F/S compendium. What I would like to do with that, [No, Ang, back. Put the red pencil down and back slowly away. No one will get hurt...] Ok, I'm better now. Really.

A concise explanation of Frodo romance issues! Post-party, pre-Ring is about the only stretch of time where Frodo could have a "normal" relationship. Though not completely, as it would not end in marriage, as would most normal Shire courtships.

The best post-Ring Frodo romance that I have read is The Girl Who Aimed Straight which was approved for HASA but we could never get the author's premission to post. A fantastic OC, Lily Withypoll, and a satifying story, though very sad in places.

Tween aged Hobbits actually map on to late teen, early twenties in human terms, so late high school and college age. Tween romances (particularly late tween) could be quite mature. I go into it a bit in mid and late chapters of OMY.

Frodo has not been bearing the Ring for a long time, but he has been living in close proximity to it. Something that Evil (TM) could not help but affect him. I agree with Ariel that it would be competing very aggressively for his affections with anyone/thing else.

If you get "furry little guy" out of your mind and think "Taller than some and fairer than most," you'll understand the attraction of Frodo much better.

Gah, clients. Gotta run,

Ang

I'm seriously hoping to drag Clover out of storage and into active writing for this challenge. She's got a few stories posted on ff.net, most of which are actually sections of a bigger story that has been firmly stalled since roughly April. On the upside, there IS a pre-ROTK Clover story I think I can finish up. I hope. Maybe. If my Muse is nice to me.

Muses respond well to chocolate. Or at least, they do over here.

BTW, Frodo was about the only character portrayal in the Rankin Bass film that I actually agreed with.

~Shudders with horror... ~

I know. Terrible, isn't it? [hangs head in shame] But you must admit, he turned out better than, say, Legolas, who seemed to have been channeling movie!Haldir in terms of looks. Then there was the whole Viking look that Boromir was sporting... shudder. We will not speak of Aragorn. Or Sam.

I suppose Gandalf came out ok in the looks department...

But we're talking about Frodo here. Ahem. Suffice it to say, he was the lesser of around 8 or 9 evils for me. Maybe I should torture myself at home and watch that movie again....

It sounds like you are describing the Bakshi version, not the Rankin Bass one. The Bakshi version I actually recall, and though I thought it failed overall, I did sort of like their Frodo too. (at least he resisted at the ford!) I have thankfully forgotten most of the Rankin Bass version (the continuation film they did) except for that *shudder song that the orcs sing in Mordor about whips! THAT thing was atrocious!

Yes, Bakshi's Frodo wasn't half bad, but I never could get over the "Dorothy Hamill" haircut. Softly cascading ebony curls, carelessly strewn across an alabaster cheek are FAR more inspiring!

Ariel

Ooh! [smacks self in head] I think you're right. Too many "B" names, here. ;-) Rankin Bass did "The Hobbit", right? I liked that. It's right up there with "Unico" as one of my all time favorite animated films. And if only R-B hadn't mutilated the Lord of the Rings, I could've been happy with the animation.

And, um [very small voice] sick though I be, I rather liked the singing in both the R-B films [cringes and flees Ariel, who has tomatos ready to hand].

Ariel....

First let me straighten this out.
>>"I loved him before EW was more than a gleam in his daddy's eye... so THERE!"

Good for you....however, it should have read "before EW was more than a gleam in HER daddy's eye." I'm a chick Ariel....Titts and all.

And now....I have some horrid things to admit......

First, I have read almost everything with Frodo in it. He remains my favorite Tolkien character ever.

Aragorn Stew was a BAD thing to do to him, but I'll explain. Frodo was never a love interest to me. I always related to frodo, the way some of our young women relate to Eowyn or Arwen. So when I wrote Aragorn Stew, not only was I crying out against all of the "poor feeble sexual victim, Frodo" fics...it was also writing sort of a Self Insertion fic. (gotta love a term that uses the word "insertion"...) I wrote Frodo as me.....on a bad day, of course. No way am I that Machiavellian or perverse....(whew! No lightning...)

I always thought of Frodo as the best kind of person, so I looked on him as my hero. He was not some big, huge muscled guy, he was short (though not for a Hobbit) and quiet and introspective and reserved and yet in the end, he had it in him to save the world. And so as a child, Frodo made me realize that heros come in all sorts of packages. It was a very inspiring thought for a girl, since we tended to be disregarded and physically diminuative to the boys. So I got my dad to make me a little wooden sting and I used to chase the boys around when they visited our house. Even I, little as I was , could be a hero, a Frodo Baggins.

Now, as I began to age, I really got a clue, and I began to see Frodo as a Christ like figure. Underdog sacrifices self to save humanity.....That didn't last long....the sister who ran my Perochial school told me elves were demon spawn and I quickly vowed never to be a good Catholic again....*snigger* And I'm not, to this day.

Then I hit Puberty.....And I got a LOT taller, and as I became a young adult, I also realized that Tolkien neatly skirted the issue of sex and I was curious if Frodo and Sam weren't meant to be gay. What was seen as intense affection when I was a kid, looked more like coloring of repressed homoerotic intentions. So the first fanfics I sought out were F/S slash.

But I also loved the ones that delved into Frodo's post Ring War state of mind. Even when I became older, he remained a person that I could relate to. Someone who had seen the worst the world had, but was still himself, tired, but himself. In Frodo's plight, Tolkien couched the entirety of the struggle behind human nature and he did it in a little guy that didn't even have the advantage of a great physical presence. But he wasn't a pushover either. He held up an spit in the eye of those Nazgul until he wasn't able to do it anymore....He had guts.

So I really hate the "whimpy" Frodo fanfics bourne of what PJ did with the character, which was turn him into someone squishy who needed to be protected much more than he really was ever in the books. If you noticed, there was a lot less "Stromp little Frodo and then make him better" fic before the movie. But I even really like some of the better thought out fanfics written under the category of H/C that are romances too.

Romances are hard to write for Frodo because he has that ever present bigger than life struggle to handle, but it can be done. Frodo / Sam stuff is easiest because they shared the burden and the journey. But an Mary Sue insert can be done.

I think that she would be elven. Elves make great MAry Sues. Someone who met him when he was in Rivendell. She comes to him post war and occasionally they meet discreetly and she does her bit to give him joy and aid him when he suffers. I think she has a deep respect for his sacrifice and a real affection for him and I think she will be on that boat to Valinor right beside him. She had the opportunity to leave earlier, but she waited for him.......

I will probably never write it for I tend to write wicked Me/Frodo when I try to put him to pen....You will always get self insertion Frodo when I write, but then that may change one day when I have him meet Ilrhenir......

E.W.

Good for you....however, it should have read "before EW was more than a gleam in HER daddy's eye." I'm a chick Ariel....Titts and all.

The "EW" I was referring to is Elijah Wood. Perhaps you've heard of him? Sorry, but I have never 'met' you and would not have even considered that someone reading this might have assumed the initials I was writing referred to them.

I do hope you were kidding around. If not, it would make you seem AWFULLY self centered.

Elven love interest? Naa.... Can't buy it. I have read a few and it just never seemed believable to me. You just don't have elves that are that earthy. And the height difference is just too much of an obstacle. It is trickier to write a Frodo romance but not impossible, and when you have to weave your way around canon, instead of bending its believability to the breaking point, you do usually end up with a better tale.

Let's face it, ALL elves are Mary Sues...Well, except for Maeglian… and I have a certain fondness for Feanor… I wouldn't be surprised if their **** didn't even stink. Sorry, but such blatant perfection irritates me.

Ariel

Elven love interest? Naa.... Can't buy it. I have read a few and it just never seemed believable to me. You just don't have elves that are that earthy. And the height difference is just too much of an obstacle.

To my surprise, looking at elf/hobbit pairings, I came across a well done Galadriel/Frodo called 'Temptation'. Not a Mary-Sue to be sure, and lots of angst and NC17 to boot, but more or less believably written.

Prooving that if you set it up right, it's amazing what you can get away with.

Lyllyn

EW:

Ariel:

The "EW" I was referring to is Elijah Wood. Perhaps you've heard of him? Sorry, but I have never 'met' you and would not have even considered that someone reading this might have assumed the initials I was writing referred to them.

Eep! I have to confess I read that "EW" as standing for Elizabeth Wyeth, not Elijah Wood!! Elizabeth, chuck, I haven't got a clue what you look like, but it seems you loom larger in my consciousness than the Boy Elijah, no matter how cute he is!

A thought on Bilbo and Frodo. Could it be they are married to the Ring. It is so overpowering, It would never allow a lover to interfere with Its current holder. If that is true, each would have to have any romance pre or post Ringbearer.

I think an Elf babe regularly stopping in for the night at Bag End would cause so much gossip, the Shire would explode. It would have to be some Hobbit.

Lyllyn:
To my surprise, looking at elf/hobbit pairings, I came across a well done Galadriel/Frodo called 'Temptation'. Not a Mary-Sue to be sure, and lots of angst and NC17 to boot, but more or less believably written.

Prooving that if you set it up right, it's amazing what you can get away with.

Oh, yes, I agree that one was pretty well done, but I still found my little inner purist going 'erk'... It is amazing what you can get someone to buy if you write it well... Though even that one, I found my 'hobbit sense' alarm going off...

Eep! I have to confess I read that "EW" as standing for Elizabeth Wyeth, not Elijah Wood!!

Well, I don't know Elizabeth from Adam so, to me, "EW" meant Elijah. I should have clarified, though if someone I didn't know posted on a board I frequented, I would never assume that just because they wrote "A" they would be meaning me.

thought on Bilbo and Frodo. Could it be they are married to the Ring. It is so overpowering, It would never allow a lover to interfere with Its current holder. If that is true, each would have to have any romance pre or post Ringbearer.

Oh, absolutely, Mike! That is sort of what I always assumed anyway! The romances I have written usually are pre ring but I also have a long series of stories about Frodo's life on Tol Eressea where he, at last, finds love and companionship after he has been healed of both his inner and outer wounds. It really is the only time post-ring possession that I could ever see Frodo finding 'love'.

Ariel

I have written usually are pre ring but I also have a long series of stories about Frodo's life on Tol Eressea where he, at last, finds love and companionship after he has been healed of both his inner and outer wounds. It really is the only time post-ring possession that I could ever see Frodo finding 'love'.

Curious, here. If you're not much for Elf/hobbit pairings, who does he fall in love with? Not like there's much out there except Elves, Elves, more Elves, a Dwarf (eventually, assuming Frodo lives that long), and the occasional Maia. And Bilbo, of course.

It's a whole other site, and it relies on an AU of the Maia and Elves feeling the need to give Frodo something of the life he missed out on by having the ring from such an early age. Namely, hobbit ladies. There are several of us who post (maybe 50?) and the fic (comedy, bawdiness and irreverence) is (to my mind) excellent.

But then, I am weird.

It is not something that works well out of context, which is why I have never posted them anywhere else.

If you are interested, I can email you the 'genesis' document that one of the ladies wrote. It really is sweet but I am certain of zero interest to most of the people here.

Ariel

I do hope you were kidding around. If not, it would make you seem AWFULLY self centered.

Actually, I thought you were referring to Elizabeth Wyeth too. She is usually called EW on HA.

mk

The "EW" I was referring to is Elijah Wood.

Gee, maybe I'm one of the few who did assume that the actor was meant - in the context of a discussion about Frodo, that made perfect sense to me. Though I can see the confusion...

So, now we all know for future reference that we must be *ahem* explicit about the distinction, right?

Pax -

Cel

Yes, since it was in the context of a discussion about Frodo I was surprised that someone mistook my meaning, but I did not know that Ms. Wyeth was referred to as "EW" in her posts either. I will be sure to include Mr. Wood's middle initial in all future references.

Ariel

Getting back to an early post:
I believe they are the hardest to make believable, especially given the context of the story. There is so much going against the poor boy - you basically have to either catch him young - before he comes of age and gets the ring, or after Bilbo has left but before he turns 50 - in which case you have the 'love interest' of the ring itself to contend with, or save your heroine till after he returns from the WotR - when he is essentially broken and too tormented to be much use to anyone...

For those of us who love angst, pairings after the return to the Shire have a lot of promise.

If one wanted to be truly wierd (this would have to be a humor fic), you could put an extra day or two into Mordor either in the Cirith Ungol section or where Sam and Frodo are marching with the orcs, and have some female orc take a fancy. **shudder**

Lyllyn

If one wanted to be truly wierd (this would have to be a humor fic), you could put an extra day or two into Mordor either in the Cirith Ungol section or where Sam and Frodo are marching with the orcs, and have some female orc take a fancy. **shudder**

EEEWWWWWW!!!!

Talk about sick fic! HE HE HE... Kind of along the lines of that ever popular show tune 'If there's a whip, there's a way...'

Oh, yes. I love angst and have done a post-WOTR romance too. So much potential for heart ache (and no, the romantic interest was not Sam! )

Ariel

Lyllyn wrote:

Have you bandied that nuzgul around Sorne?

Have you bandied that nuzgul around Sorne?

I don't know Sorne, but inflict it on her/him with my blessing.

Lyllyn

Sorne also posts under the anagram "Enros" and is the one who took on my "Rosemary's Baby" nuzgul. She'd been writing Mother of Isengard anway, but decided it would fit. Also, she's on Orcslash, as I understand it, so she might know others who would be interested in taking that one on.

Also, she's on Orcslash, as I understand it...
Orcslash? There's an Orcslash?
This I've got to see. Where is it?

Lyllyn (Never miss a chance to broaden one's education)

>The "EW" I was referring to is Elijah Wood. Perhaps you've heard of >him? Sorry, but I have never 'met' you and would not have even >considered that someone reading this might have assumed the >initials I was writing referred to them.

Yes, Ariel, I was joking, I am widely known for doing that..... often.....(snicker) My humor was obviously a bit off it's mark at that point........Ahh well. No one scores a funny all the time.

>Let's face it, ALL elves are Mary Sues...Well, except for MaeglianÂ… >and I have a certain fondness for FeanorÂ… I wouldn't be surprised if >their **** didn't even stink. Sorry, but such blatant perfection irritates >me.

Hmmm, yes they do embody a more perfected state of being, but I always looked at them as something to admire, as perhaps an example of potentiality, rather that people who were annoyingly perfect. I think being an artist helps me do that. Artists all the time walk the line between portraying that whixh is representational and that which is mythicly ideal..... I love the elves for what they represent, human potential. And I think hieght differences would and could be overlooked. Elves, after all, see into peoples natures....

E.W.

Well, I am an artist as well, but my work tends to be of humbler subjects too. Earthier projections, warmer feels... I don't have much of my work online, but here is a scan of a rather dog-eared photo copy of one of my pieces... I SWORE I would get some of my LOTR's pieces done before the next movie, but writing keeps getting in the way... Wizards I just realized that I drew this thing more than twenty years ago! and a slightly newer one... really must scan a few more pieces...Robin Hood

I was hoping you were kidding... but since I didn't know you, I had no idea! I kept thinking NO ONE could be that self absorbed! LOL!

Ariel

>A thought on Bilbo and Frodo. Could it be they are married to the Ring. It is so overpowering, It would never allow a lover to interfere with Its current holder. If that is true, each would have to have any romance pre or post Ringbearer.

I think an Elf babe regularly stopping in for the night at Bag End would cause so much gossip, the Shire would explode. It would have to be some Hobbit. <

Actually, I seem to have this image in my head that Frodo began to go on walks aster the ring war. you know....around the shire....Is that cannon or is that something I ruminated on as a way he might have contemplativesly spent his time? If he did need to get away....And he did start taking evening jaunts...... Perhaps he met her in the woods one evening. I can see it now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~he goes walking one evening and goes out just far enough to be in the wood. He has just gotten over being sick recently and his heart is very heavy with everything.... he lays down in the sweet shire fall grasses and leans against a tree......... before long, he is overwhelmed...Having to keep up apearances for Sam and Rosie so they don't worry, has exhausted him, and now that he is alone he can vent a bit of the sorrow within. Frodo quietly weeps the tears of the terribly world weary.

It is after dusk, the time of the elves and in comes OFC MS lady elf traveling abroad on the way to the meeting place to leave for the havens. She has been abroad and now is rejoining her kin in ordewr to leave. She travels thru the woods and hears a faint, sad sound. It is quiet weeping and she follows the noise to investigate. There she spies upon Frodo and is moved by his sorrow in that bardic, elfy sorta way..... The rest is easy...Frodo and she stat something, he sneaks out every so often and meets her in the forrest for some elf/hobbit consolation. They fall in love and she waits to go across the sea until he is ready to go.

VOILA!

E.W.

Oh, by all means, please, send that one right over here. I am certainly interested.

GreyLadyBast

BTW, the original short-short Clover Proudfoot story is posted (and underread) at ff.net, as well as being offered for consideration here. Just so's you know.

I suppose that since I am writing what might be seen as a Frodo romance I might as well put in my 2 cents worth on this board. My story was born of an intense distaste for fics that explain away Frodo's bachelorhood by recourse to his relationship with Sam alone (because I have never seen one that was well-written); and Jane Austen's immortal line about single men in possession of fortunes.

I theorised that Frodo's relatives and various matchmaking mamas would like to see him married off, and that he, wishing to do his duty, makes a genuine effort to court a nice hobbit lass, but finds himself unable or unwilling to come up to scratch in the end because he knows the Ring will eventually take him from the Shire.

Unfortunately, I chose the wrong female character, and she wouldn't let him get away with it (does anybody else find their characters getting away from them and taking on minds of their own?), so now I have an outline for a multipart AU fic with alternate endings, dealing with the questions of why Frodo isn't married, and what would have happened if he had been. I sincerely hope I am dealing with these issues in a reasonable manner and am not creating just another bad Mary Sue.

I sincerely hope I am dealing with these issues in a reasonable manner and am not creating just another bad Mary Sue.

I am certain not, but I do hope you write it - it sounds very interesting. I have seen this approach handled in a sort of off handed way - as part of a story but not the main focus. I think it would be delightful to see how the young Mr. Baggins handles the matchmaking attempts of his relatives - especially if you avoid the old, easy out of making him hot for Sam. It could be quite commedic.

Ariel

So, about Pride and Prejudice for Hobbits, which I have now entered in the Mary Sue challenge:

Anyway, as well as any general comments that people might have, I'd appreciate any feedback on my choice not to really involve the Ring in this story beyond Frodo's certainty that he will be leaving on a potentially dangerous adventure one day. On my reading of the text, in the intervening years between Bilbo's birthday and the start of the quest, Frodo really doesn't give much thought to the Ring at all. I'm also trying to avoid it because it's an instant recipe for angst, and I'm no big fan of angsty!Frodo (a very movie and fangirl invention), although my most recent chapter was a bit angsty.

So I'm wondering what other people have to say about the validity of my choice. I may at least go back and insert a few instances where Frodo appears to be fidgeting with the Ring in his pocket, although as far as I'm concerned the habitual fingering of the Ring does not begin until Bree. Also posting this rambling question in the MS Challenge thread; sorry for any duplication.

Prior to Gandalf's visit in April 3018, Frodo would *not* have had a clue about the significance of the Ring. If he thought about leaving, it would have been only a general wish to follow Bilbo and have his own adventure.

He would have had a sense that he should always have the Ring with him, and would have felt anxious if he did not have it on his person, as Bilbo had. Frodo (like Bilbo) kept it on a chain attached to his pocket. There is actually never any indication in the story that Frodo spent much time handling it. It's unclear if he ever put it on before the accident at The Prancing Pony. Even after that, he knew better than to handle it overly much, and I don't remember JRRT making a point that Frodo touched it much at all. That is a movieverse convention more than a book convention - but I'd have to re-read the Morder chapters to be sure.

Ang

Ang, thanks very much for your vote of confidence, o God of all things hobbit-related.

I just checked my book. In Three is Company, when they first encounter the Black Rider, Frodo feels the urge to put on the ring but gets no further than touching the chain before the Black Rider moves away. In the House of Tom Bombadil, Tom puts on the ring and doesn't disappear. Frodo later puts on the ring to check that a switch wasn't made and he does disappear. There is no mention of him feeling anything strange while wearing the ring. I always wondered why that was.

Ah! I always forget about the stuff with Bombadil.

Perhaps Bombadil's influence within his own house can keep the worst of the effects of the Ring away. It is not until Amon Sul that we get a sense that the Ring distorts the perceptions of the wearer.

Ang

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Writing Mary Sue: the Mother of Challenges