Forum: DrummerWench's Discussions

Discussing: Fairy Tales of Middle-Earth

Fairy Tales of Middle-Earth

I have had a number of fairy tales in my head for a while. I have wasted some of my non-existant free time to get a couple of them on my hard drive, and thence to: Fairy Tales of Middle-Earth. If all goes well, I will occasionally add a chapter. Each chapter is one tale. So far, I have The Bear (a Mannish tale) and Spiderwebs (an Elvish tale). In my head, I have 4 or 5 more, one Elvish, two Mannish and one for Hobbits, that have settings, characters & plots, but don't exist otherwise. I also have one that starts, "Once upon a time, there lived a King's daughter", that's set in Osgiliath before its fall, but has no story arc. Every now & then, I start out bravely on it, then flounder around and get nowhere. Anyway, if you have the time, let me know what you think. DrummerGirl

Re: Fairy Tales of Middle-Earth

I have just uploaded the next fairy-tale installment - The Sorceress (a Mannish tale).  Any comments are welcome!

DrummerGirl

Birds and Feathers

Here is a new chapter-tale (#4): Birds and Feathers, an Elvish tale set near Rivendell some millenia ago.  I hope you enjoy it!

DrummerGirl

Cloak-Ties

I've just added Cloak-Ties (Chaper 5), a tale of the Druedain. I hope it seems "Druish" enough.

Re: Cloak-Ties

Hi, DrummerGirl

I like your new story. I was expecting, though, that the wolf, Orc and Man would somehow make a final appearance. Don't know what that could possibly be, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Are you familiar with "A Canon Misfired"? The following quote from that essay describes your work perfectly: 

"Purists might wish for a corpus with fewer contradictions, a canon less amorphous - one that allows them to declare, without equivocation, 'Thus saith Tolkien.' Yet, perhaps the good professor did not intend it to be so....the mythologies of our ancestors are not received in tidy, set form. They are based on oral traditions that took on new flavor as they passed from bard to bard, hamlet to hamlet. Over time, stories changed to reflect the needs and challenges of their tellers. Tolkien knew this; perhaps his greatest gift to us lies in all those unfinished manuscripts, for what we have is a fictional legendry that truly resembles the myths of the real world. And perhaps the greatest tribute to his work is the humble fan's attempt to add her vision to that legendry, for by her efforts, Tolkien's dream of an enduring mythology proves not so fanciful after all."

Did you know that we have a hometown in common?

Gandalfs apprentice 

Gandalfs apprentice wrote:
I like your new story. I was expecting, though, that the wolf, Orc and Man would somehow make a final appearance. Don't know what that could possibly be, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks, Gandalfs apprentice! Hmmm, does it seem unfinished? Puzzling. Perhaps I'm so close to it I can't see if it's incomplete. In a way, though, they do reappear, in the form of blood crusted on the watch-stone. (This is a shameless pastiche of "The Faithful Stone" (I think that's the name...) in ... oh, all my books are in boxes, "Unfinished Tales"?)

Are you familiar with "A Canon Misfired"? The following quote from that essay describes your work perfectly:

"Purists might wish for a corpus with fewer contradictions, a canon less amorphous - one that allows them to declare, without equivocation, 'Thus saith Tolkien.' Yet, perhaps the good professor did not intend it to be so....the mythologies of our ancestors are not received in tidy, set form. They are based on oral traditions that took on new flavor as they passed from bard to bard, hamlet to hamlet. Over time, stories changed to reflect the needs and challenges of their tellers. Tolkien knew this; perhaps his greatest gift to us lies in all those unfinished manuscripts, for what we have is a fictional legendry that truly resembles the myths of the real world. And perhaps the greatest tribute to his work is the humble fan's attempt to add her vision to that legendry, for by her efforts, Tolkien's dream of an enduring mythology proves not so fanciful after all."

*has not heard of "A Canon Misfired"* *googles it, finds impressive essay by
erunyauve* *will read it, with luck, soon*

Tolkien's world is so prodigiously detailed, and yet at the same time has so much space available for additions, that it does, indeed, provide us with a foundation almost as solid as the real world for story building.

Did you know that we have a hometown in common?

So I notice. Have sent you a note via Frappr.

Thank you so much for your comments, GA.

DrummerGirl

Hi, DrummerGirl

I finally figured out why "Cloak-Ties" seems incomplete to me. How about having the wife tell the story of how it was on her end--each day something happens to a part of the stone. It says something? It bursts out bleeding? Something that reflects what just happend to the husband. Do you think that would work?

Gandalfs apprentice

Thanks, GA
I have been mulling it over, and have a couple ideas, though who knows when I'll have a chance to follow through.
Not to mention, they're competing for time with other story ideas in my head...

The two possibilities I see are:
- interleave the reaction at home with the action on the journey, or
- Ghuran recounts her experiences at the end, after Banur's return

Maybe I'll try both ways.

DG

I have just added Ch. 6: "Cloak-Ties, v1.1" and Ch. 7: "Cloak-Ties, v1.2".  Ch.5 is now "Cloak-Ties, v.1.0".

v1.0 is the original

v1.1 interleaves Ghuran's experiences with Banur's

v1.2 is the same as the original, but has a brief recap of Ghuran's story at the end.

If you care to read through the various versions, and comment on them, that would be terrific!

Thanks, DrummerGirl

I have revised Cloak-Ties yet again, v2.0 is the same as v1.2, but with an expanded & hopefully more dramatic ending.

DrummerGirl

I have removed the previous versions of Cloak-Ties, leaving only the final one.

DrummerWench (was DrummerGirl)

The Lady in the Water

I have just added "The Lady in the Water", a Hobbit fairy tale, as recounted by Mrs. Maggot for Sam's collection of stories.  Comments are welcome, as always.

DrummerWench

Shadow and Fire

I have just uploaded "Shadow and Fire", a tale for Dwarves.  It's shorter and darker than the other tales.  Comments appreciated.

DrummerWench

Re: The Swans

Hello, folks -

I have added "The Swans", a tale of Elves and Men set in Dol Amroth.  I think many will recognize its provenance!

DrummerWench

The Wooden Boy

Hello, all!

I have added "The Wooden Boy", a tale from Esgaroth / Long Lake.  Please read & comment, if you would.

If you happen to read it, let me know if it works.  Am wondering if I should reverse the order of the "happy house" and "unhappy house" bits at the beginning.

Thanks,
DrummerWench

Edit 1: Attempted to add link to chapter, efforts utterly unattended by success.

Edit 2: Attempted to send alerts, similarly unsuccessful, so I apologize to those waiting for same. Assume it's all part of reorganization, rather than extreme ineptitude on my part, so am not particularly crabby about it...

The Heart of the Mountain

I have added The Heart of the Mountain, a tale for Dwarves, set in Erebor.

I think you'll recognize the subject and the resolution. Let me know what you think!

Many thanks to Lady A, Súlriel, and Pen52 for beta work!

DrummerWench

Re: Fairy Tales of Middle-Earth

Finally! have written another tale!  I have added Tree and Star to Fairy Tales of Middle-Earth.  It's a story for Elves and ... , but you'll find out.  I think you'll like it!

Thanks to the folks at GoI and LC for proofs and edits.

DW

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to DrummerWench's Discussions