Forum: Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.

Discussing: more songs?

more songs?

Repeat after me. "Allie will not be coerced, drawn, or ensnared into helping with resources. She is making a one-time, simple offer to transcribe songs from The Tolkien Reader to the resources section. Her resource services will terminate upon completion of this mission. She has too much on her figurative fanfictional plate to deal with as it is. She has too many nuzgul clustered around her desk as it is. She has too many placeholders as it is. She has too many unfinished stories to write as it is." Now please sign here, and you will have contracted the services of Allie to transfer songs from The Tolkien Reader to this most auspicious and valuable resources section. X---------------------------------------------------- Thank you.

Re: more songs?

Lyllyn X---------------------------------------------------- Much good may it do you! It's not us you have to watch out for, it's the rapidly multiplying resource!nuzguls.

It's not us you have to watch out for, it's the rapidly multiplying resource!nuzguls. *worried look* Always, Allie

Allie, if you're interested in adding hyperlinks to related people, places, things or events, or you need to quote from any of Tolkien's other works and include the citations for the quotations, you should ask Barbara/Elena Tiriel for copies of her Links and Citations spreadsheets. Being able to copy and paste from these really speeds up doing all that fiddly stuff. Cheers, Liz (Psst: Barbara, Lyllyn - think she'll fall for it? )

Oooohhh, no you don't, Liz! Ooohhh, no! I'm not going to be roped in by this trickery! *shakes finger* But you're good, you're very good. Very clever performance. I was almost thinking that you were being nice and friendly and not trying to be sneaky. I get caught by ordinary nuzgul enough already (SSP: see the beginnings of my research notes: Observation of the Nuzgul. On a side note, I've decided to include resource!nuzgul in this treatise as well: do drop any comments and observations on this nuzgul species in the corresponding lecture hall); do I really need resource!nuzgul as well? *cough* But in the interest of being accurate and not wanting to plagerize, I will ask Barbara for the citation info. Always, Allie *worried about resource!nuzgul*

services of Allie to transfer songs from The Tolkien Reader to this most auspicious and valuable resources section. Oh, that is exciting, Allie! I love Tolkien's songs, and I don't have the Tolkien Reader, so I *really* appreciate you doing this! A couple of suggestions before you start: We have settled on using {blockquote>song lyrics{/blockquote> (replace the { with <) as the format for songs, and Lyllyn has been going through and changing them all to be consistent (thanks, Lyllyn!). (I was using bold and italics as well as blockquotes, and we agreed that that undesirable.) Also, in the past, some entries have contained only a snippet of the lyrics... when I see one of these, I go back and put the whole song into the entry. That's probably not what you were planning, but I thought I'd mention it... Thanks so much for your help, Allie! - Barbara P.S. will send citations...

Feedback on your song entry

Hi Allie! Your The Last Ship entry looks great! I will be so pleased to see more of these in the library! A couple of comments: First, for the footnotes, you might want to try my Numbered and Hyperlinked Footnotes template in the Tools and Templates thread. And I usually put the Notes section at the very end of the entry. (See below.) Second, your entry has a lot of possibilities for in-text hyperlinks -- for example, I think most of the seven rivers listed are in the spreadsheet... you'll find that it is extremely easy to insert the links... Third, when you use block quotes, HTML automatically inserts a blank line before and after the block quote. So, to avoid inserting additional lines, you don't put line breaks around the block quote. For example, this text (with some footnotes): This is the description [{a href="#Note1">1{/a>] of the song.{blockquote>lyrics line 1 lyrics line 2 ... last line of lyrics{/blockquote>This is any text [{a href="#Note2">2{/a>] that might follow the song... {i>The citation{/i> {a name="Note1">{b>Notes{/b> 1.{/a> (Text of Note 1) {a name="Note2">2.{/a> (Text of Note 2) Looks like this: This is the description [1] of the song.
lyrics line 1 lyrics line 2 ... last line of lyrics
This is any text [2] that might follow the song... The citation Notes 1. (Text of Note 1) 2. (Text of Note 2) Hope this helps! - Barbara P.S. I noticed there was some genealogical info in your entry (Firiel, daughter of Elanor). Is the contents of The Tolkien Reader all written by Tolkien? If so, I might want to consider buying it... *drool*

Re: Feedback on your song entry

OK... I can handle the normal linking... but the footnote thing might take awhile to sink in. How far do you go with linking? I mean, do I link everything that can be linked (I've got all the seven rivers in the footnote linked), or just everything that would further information on this topic? List of Linkables: Aragorn, Elanor, Sam, Westmarch, Bilbo, Rivendell, Langstrand, Dol Amroth, Eregion, Second Age(?), Elvenland(?), Northern Isles(?), Elvenhome, White Tree (Celeborn?), Star (Earendil), Middle-earth, Sea, South Kingdom. Is there a limit on what one should link? Always, Allie

All right, so I went link-happy: I linked everything that I possibly could. I was also dismayed to discover that I was dismayed at the fact that some things were not there. But I'm still not going to be drawn in! No! I refuse! Barbara wrote: P.S. I noticed there was some genealogical info in your entry (Firiel, daughter of Elanor). Is the contents of The Tolkien Reader all written by Tolkien? If so, I might want to consider buying it... *drool* The back cover of my edition (Ballantine Del Rey edition, paperback, burgundy cover with the Prof's pic and M-e scenes in pencil) says "Stories, poems and commentaries by the author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings." So I would assume that yes, the words are Tolkien's. (I was so excited to find that tiny detail too!). Always, Allie

How far do you go with linking? I mean, do I link everything that can be linked (I've got all the seven rivers in the footnote linked), or just everything that would further information on this topic? I link everything that can be linked (except that I don't link the entry to itself... ) [Edit:] Not intentionally, anyway... The thing is, the more you add links, the more you "know" which things are already in the database... I now look at a quote for a potential entry and know exactly which words are linkable... - Barbara P.S. I don't think you'll find entries for Second Age, Elvenland/home, Northern Isles, the correct White Tree (if it's truly Celeborn you need), Middle-earth, or Sea (yet...), but South Kingdom is listed under Gondor. Eärendil's bio is about the man, not the star (but the star is now on my to-do list -- see, nuzgûls work both ways!) P.P.S. See the entry for Eärendil Was a Mariner if you'd like to see what it's like to link everything in sight... Three guesses who added the links...

P.P.S. See the entry for Eärendil Was a Mariner if you'd like to see what it's like to link everything in sight... Three guesses who added the links... Well, I don't think I even need three guesses! I don't even need two! Might that've been... you, Barbara? It was?? Wow, I am such a good guesser! Nitpick: The link for Westernesse at the end of the poem kind of extends through "The chanting ceased." I was wondering what that line could do to deserve an entry, and then poof! There was Numenor again! Always, Allie

Looks like I should have read this message before replying to the prior one... All right, so I went link-happy: I linked everything that I possibly could. I was also dismayed to discover that I was dismayed at the fact that some things were not there. But I'm still not going to be drawn in! No! I refuse! You will be assimilated... resistance is futile. Stories, poems and commentaries by the author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings." So I would assume that yes, the words are Tolkien's. (I was so excited to find that tiny detail too!). Squeeeeee! Oh, thank you, thank you for the lovely Christmas gift I'm going to get for myself... - Barbara

Might that've been... you, Barbara? *Barbara whistles, hands in her pockets, staring at the sky...* Oh, look, there's Eärendil! *points* Nitpick: The link for Westernesse at the end of the poem kind of extends through "The chanting ceased." I was wondering what that line could do to deserve an entry, and then poof! There was Numenor again! Must be an unbalanced HTML tag... can't have anyone unbalanced, can we? (I'll fix it, thanks!) - Barbara [Edit:] Fixed Eärendil Was a Mariner! Thanks again, Allie!

*Barbara whistles, hands in her pockets, staring at the sky...* Oh, look, there's Eärendil! *points* *sweet smile* Yes, isn't it fascinating? Don't you just want to go and do an entry on it right this moment? Always, Allie

Shadow-Bride

Shadow-Bride added. Always, Allie edit: Could this be Thingol and Melian first meeting, perhaps? Or Beren and Luthien?

*sweet smile* Yes, isn't it fascinating? Don't you just want to go and do an entry on it right this moment? Well, actually, in the time since I saw your first post, I've added Rhovanion and Pippin Falls in the Battle of the Morannon [edit: fixed link]. So, no, I don't want to do it right this moment... what I really want to do is finish my Easterlings bio... yes, that's the ticket... - Barbara, who has a bad habit of going off onto tangents, like adding an entry for Pippin's Sword when all she really wanted to do is check whether Easterlings were mentioned as being at the Battle of the Morannon... which, of course, had to be added to the database...

This is addictive

Addictive, I tell you! But I'm still not caught. Yet. *cough* Cat has been added. As well as Fastitocalon. Always, Allie edit #1: and The Mewlips. edit #2: and Princess Mee. edit #3: and The Man in the Moon Came Down Too Soon.

Re: This is addictive

Addictive, I tell you! But I'm still not caught. Yet. There, there. It's alright, we all know you can stop any time... Lyllyn

Humph. you! I've added six poems! In one night! [edit: OK, fine! Seven!] Why, oh why, did I have to look in resources for "The Last Ship"?! Why? Always, Allie

I've added six poems! In one night! [edit: OK, fine! Seven! Bwa ha ha ha ha! - Barbara

*darkly* I'm going to sleep. Before I add anything else! But I'll fight this! I swear: no adding poems tomorrow! *pause* Who am I kidding? Who believes me? Always, Allie [edit: I certainly didn't believe me. Perry-the-Winkle.]

So I lied. A lot.

So sue me. The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, Bombadil Goes Boating, and Errantry. Always, Allie *mentally accounting for poems* edit #1: and The Hoard. edit #2: and the last one, The Sea-Bell.

Re: So I lied. A lot.

Hi Allie These are great! Thanks so much for doing them. I was also dismayed to discover that I was dismayed at the fact that some things were not there. Really? *smiles innocently* But they should to be there, shouldn't they? Why don't you make a list of what you found is missing, so other people know they need to be done? Cheers, Liz

Thanks, Liz! I'm just cranking them out. And resource work is relatively simple. Why don't you make a list of what you found is missing, so other people know they need to be done? Oh... You just want me bitten by more reasource!nuzgul! Evil Liz! *sigh* And yet I'll probably end up doing something along those lines... Damn! Why didn't I just go to CoE to look up the poem? Why did I have to look here? Always, Allie OT PS: I heard you're coming to Gwynnyd's next week for the EE. I might be coming too!

You just want me bitten by more reasource!nuzgul! Evil Liz! Or you can set them on someone else? Barbara's ever-so innocent list of "Things without quotes" got me to do two language entries. So the person most likely to be nuzgulled here is me. (But it's entirely possible something could be on somebody else's list.) And resource entries are very soothing. Except when a simple desire to add one Places entry for Nogrod turns into three other Places, a Bio, seven timeline entries, and a major debate over how to date First Age events.... Cheers, Liz OT PS: I heard you're coming to Gwynnyd's next week for the EE. I might be coming too! Yep, I shall be there. It would be great if you can make it too. (Did she show you the menu...?)

And resource entries are very soothing. Except when a simple desire to add one Places entry for Nogrod turns into three other Places, a Bio, seven timeline entries, and a major debate over how to date First Age events.... It is surprisingly soothing. It doesn't require me to be in harmony with my muses. Is that a real example, Liz? Yikes. Always, Allie Yep, I shall be there. It would be great if you can make it too. (Did she show you the menu...?) There's a menu?! Oh, my! [edit: have now seen menu. *drool* keyboard not in quite such a good state.]

Definitely lied a lot.

And I'm all done with entering poems! THIRTEEN OF THEM!! Argh! Must stop this madness! Always, resource-ful!Allie

Re: Definitely lied a lot.

THIRTEEN OF THEM! Would you like me to send you an updated Links spreadsheet, so you can admire the lovely shade of green that your entries are in? *Smiles innocently* - Barbara [Edit: done.]

Re: Definitely lied a lot.

*grumble, grumble, grumble* Yes, please. Always, Allie

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.