Forum: Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.

Discussing: Future Resource Database Requests

Future Resource Database Requests

Hi, Not sure where to put this, but I'd like to suggest a future addition to the Types of Thing, namely Food & Drink. We already have Lembas, Cram, and Honey-cakes of the Beornings, for example. It seems like Food & Drink deserves its own category, like Weapons. And if we do this, I will toast you with miruvor... - Barbara

Re: Future Resource Database Requests

I'll take you up on the toast, but it will have to wait a bit. Oh, and I'm afraid the toast goes to Ang I fear, but you could slip us both some miruvor... I'm looking to see if any other small changes need to me made at the same time. Suggest away, but I can't make promises on which or when. Lyllyn

Oh, and I'm afraid the toast goes to Ang I fear, but you could slip us both some miruvor... It will be done! (Unless she prefers Dorwinion Red?) I'm looking to see if any other small changes need to me made at the same time. Suggest away, but I can't make promises on which or when. Understood! But I thought it might be nice to have a thread to keep the Resource-related suggestions together... (Hope I didn't miss one somewhere else? If so, I'd be happy to copy my post there.) - Barbara P.S. I like the new name for this Discussion -- very clear!

New category created and ready to go. I like ale from the Golden Perch, thank you, though a bottle or two of Dorwinion Red would not be turned down. Toodles - Ang

New category created and ready to go. Whoooaaaa! I didn't expect this immediately! I'll check to see if my local liquor store carries Golden Perch ale... is canned okay? Thank you, Ang! - Barbara I'll go change the categories on whatever seems relatively edible... Black Squirrels, apparently, do not qualify.

I changed Cram, Lembas, Honey-cakes of the Beornings (now I'm hungry), and Miruvor. Sorry Ang, but there's no Dorwinion wine nor ale from anywhere to be found... (I also noticed and changed Ulumúri and Valaróma (both of which are horns) to Artifacts instead of Miscellaneous.) Thanks again, Ang! - Barbara

I'll go change the categories on whatever seems relatively edible... Black Squirrels, apparently, do not qualify. they would have to be boiled for a very long time. lots of salt and ketchup.

I'll go change the categories on whatever seems relatively edible... Black Squirrels, apparently, do not qualify. they would have to be boiled for a very long time. lots of salt and ketchup. I'll have to wait until my Index for HoME arrives to determine whether ketchup is canon. And how would Tolkien spell it, ketchup or catsup? - Barbara

A long-term request: Timeline Events need the Other Name(s) field, just like Bios (probably every type of entry does). For example, the Great Plague is also called the Dark Plague. - Barbara

Hi, I've been meaning to move this request for a new type of Thing here, from the Corrections 2 thread: I'd like to suggest adding a new category: 'Books & Scrolls' (or 'Books & Documents', if you prefer) to cover written works, as opposed to verbal works. (The Scroll of Isildur is an obvious candidate, for example...) Thanks for considering it, when the proper time comes... - Barbara

I'd like to suggest adding a new category: 'Books & Scrolls' (or 'Books & Documents', if you prefer) to cover written works, as opposed to verbal works. (The Scroll of Isildur is an obvious candidate, for example...) I'll put those on the list. Thanks! Lyllyn

Books and scrolls added! (Thanks to Ang.) The 'other names' section will have to wait, although we could put other names into the text box for now. Lyllyn

Books and scrolls added! (Thanks to Ang.) Thank you, Ang and Lyllyn both! The 'other names' section will have to wait Of course... adding a new database field is a different order of magnitude of work (and planning) than adding an item to an existing drop-down list. But I really appreciate you both for okaying and implementing the easier changes so incredibly quickly... we could put other names into the text box for now. What I've been doing is to use the Meaning field, and put in a comment, e.g.: [also known as X] - Barbara

This is another *future* request: I think the Timeline Events need a sequence number, so that multiple events that occur on the same day can be put into order. For example, we might have these events in one day: Battle of W X Slain by Y in the Battle of W Y Slain by Z in the Battle of W It would be very nice to have the Battle start before anyone gets killed, and to have Y slay X before getting knocked off by Z. So far, I have had to do this by using different days, but that strains credibility when a half-dozen events occur on the same day... especially in the exceedingly rare occasions when we actually *know* the date on which the event occurred... A real example that I'm dealing with right now: Battle of the Pelennor Fields: Overview Chieftain of the Haradrim Skewered by Théoden in the Battle of the Pelennor Théoden, King of Rohan, Bent Out of Shape by the Witch-king in the BoP Witch-king Magnificently Offed by Éowyn (& Some Short Dude) in the BoP Éomer Gets a Battlefield Promotion to King of Rohan in the BoP It's really quite rude of Éomer to assume the kingship before Théoden dies, and Éowyn really does not want to knock off the Witch-king before the WK can create that coveted empty position for her dear brother to fill... - Barbara

It's really quite rude of Éomer to assume the kingship before Théoden dies, and Éowyn really does not want to knock off the Witch-king before the WK can create that coveted empty position for her dear brother to fill...
I can see a really lovely AU fic evolving out of this discussion: Éomer, eager for his own advancement, conspires first with Saruman to have Théodred killed. Saruman then puts Éomer in touch with the Witch-king (via Palantir-phone ), with whom he conspires to bump off Théoden. Éowyn gets wind of it and tries to intervene (with the help of Some Short Dude...) Snap out of it, Ness! Wha...where was I? Oh yeah. Good idea - the numbering, I mean. Will pass it along to tech support to see if it's doable. ~Nessime

Lyllyn

Nessime, May I recommend the Confessions of a Dangerous Mind challenge? A mind such as yours should never go to waste... - Barbara P.S. It's so nice to know there is a spot in this world where my sense of humor is appreciated...

Gosh, you are evil.

Hi, Barbara Just so you know, Ang has put the numbering on the wish list. Meanwhile, you may want to append a note at the bottom of each entry to specify the order in which each event occurs on that day. (Of course I wouldn't be surprised to learn you've already done so...) ~Nessime

Just so you know, Ang has put the numbering on the wish list. Thanks! Meanwhile, you may want to append a note at the bottom of each entry to specify the order in which each event occurs on that day. *Moan* there might be quite a few events for that particular day by the time I finish -- and, by the time I finish entering a bunch of related events, it's not often the same list that I started with. So each time I add one, I'd have to update the note on all of them? I might just create one overview event (the Battle of the Pelennor Fields: Overview), and hope that people can pick it out among the jumble of events that happened that day... It's a *very* good thing that I'm only interested in the events that involve good-looking Rohirrim... - Barbara

So each time I add one, I'd have to update the note on all of them?
Good heavens, no! I was teasing, knowing how thorough you always are. Nix the notion of appending notations of numerical sequence... I think people ought to be able to read the entries and figure out for themselves which event occurs first (I'm assuming that they would all be linked anyway) so the overview might be overkill. I definitely don't want to create more work for you than you've already managed to create on your own (oh, prolific one ). ~Nessime Addendum:
It's a *very* good thing that I'm only interested in the events that involve good-looking Rohirrim...
What - no Grima? What about Freca - I gather he was rather wide in the girth (I rather hope Wulf didn't emulate his father in that regard or one of my fic ideas won't fly).

so the overview might be overkill. Well, since I've turned into a war-and-battle freak, I've started to do entries with "War of the X: Overview" that lists all the related entries... So I'll (eventually) do that with the BoP; the only problem is, the only parts of the BoP that I care about involve either 1) Elves (and there are none of those) or 2) Rohirrim... So I might end up giving a rather skewed version of what happened that day (Aragorn? Gondorians? Were they there?)... What - no Grima? **Gag** ... although, if I ever do an overview of the Battles of Rohan in the WotR (e.g Fords of Isen -- which are pretty well covered individually already, Hornburg, BoP, Morannon) I might end up messing with him... Eeeeewwwww! (Just got the RoTK DVD, and skipped over the scene with him and Éowyn because he just *totally* creeps me out...) What about Freca - I gather he was rather wide in the girth (I rather hope Wulf didn't emulate his father in that regard or one of my fic ideas won't fly). Ahhh, but he dealt with Helm and his magnificently heroic sons and nephew... who all look like Éomer or Théodred (prettiest corpse I've ever seen...) from the movie in my imagination. I just finished all the related entries for the Invasion of Rohan from West and East, so Wulf is well-represented in our DB. Still dead, but well-represented. - Barbara

Just FYI, there are now twenty timeline events that occur on the 15th of March of 3019 alone... one of which (Battle of the Pelennor: Overview) I put under the 14th just so it would sort before all the rest... (No wonder I couldn't ever follow all the interwoven events in RoTK... What a genius Tolkien was to keep them all straight... Or maybe I'm just a dummy for not being able to keep them in my mind unless I break them up into itsy-bitsy eventlings...) - Barbara

New Place type

Hi, *Someone* has been adding a lot of Roads to the database... I wonder if we could add a Place Type for Roads? If you look at Other Constructions, a large proportion of them are roads... - Barbara

Re: New Place type

Hi Barbara, Send this one in to the tech support email so I can get it into the work list. I think I can add this fairly easily. Toodles - Ang

Hi Ang, Will do. - Barbara [Edit:] Did do.

Thanks to Ang, we have a new Type of Place, called 'Roads, Lanes, Ways'. I have modified all the road entries to use the new Type. Thanks, Ang! - Barbara

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.