Forum: Meril's Miscellany

Discussing: Observation of the Common Nuzgul

Observation of the Common Nuzgul

Welcome to the lecture hall of HADSI: the Henneth Annun Department of Scientific Investigation. Please be seated, and we will be with you shortly to discuss any and all points regarding the institution's newest venture, Observation of the Common Nuzgul. Regards, HADSI Henneth Annun Department of Scientific Investigation

Re: Observation of the Common Nuzgul

*a huge black thing enters* Hi Allie! That's only me, I am still caught in the jaws of Tyrannuzgûlius Rex. But as this topic is really interesting, I thought I'd drop by nevertheless. I hope I don't scare anyone off... but as this one's gullet is effectively filled with Juno, it's really nont dangerous. May I stay? *voice sounds strangely muffled* Yours Juno

Juno-- AM (also known as Allie Meril) is currently focused on preparing to set out on the research study. The dwarves of Khazad-dum Armories are not being cooperative in getting the correct model of full mithril body armor for the team, she informed us in her last communication, but she hopes to drive a bargain with them in a short time. AM has promised to allow the posting of the first part of her research log sometime later. Having also received your intent of volunteering, AM has inquired as to the particular habits of this Tyrannuzgûlius Rex. She also requests that perhaps you would allow her some time near it, so as to study this unusual phenomenon of the species. Being yourself one of our esteemed research volunteers, you are quite welcome to stay and share your input as well. Regards, HADSI Henneth Annun Department of Scientific Investigation

*the big black thing settles down comfortably and bats its eyelashes flirtatiously at AM* Look and prod at it all you want... as I said, at the moment it's not dangerous. Yours JM

I'd like to thank the Assembly for the lovely tote bag that was sent and I would also like to address the Department in the use of cakes and biscuits to lure the garden variety of the Common Nuzgul (Nugulius Miniscule). This would be a more humane way of luring them into a scientific study rather than steel traps (dwarven made or not). I have found that these furry little creatures do have a rather prodigious sweet tooth and can be --please note the use of the disclaimer of nominally--domesticated when kept in either a common house garden or a nice nook under a large peice of furniture. It is wise, however never treat them as anything other than a semi-wild creature....sort of like a House Tiger (Felis Domesticus). These are also absolutely NOT to be mistaken for the common Dust Bunny (Fuzzballius Pledgidus) under pain of lacerations to both fingers and ankles. The use of household baked goods was discovered at a previous discussion when several of the garden variety Nuzgul were milling around ankles and looking longingly at the dessert table. Being a sucker for an entity with large soulful eyes, I offered the creature a peice of chocolate cake. The offering was duely accepted by he Nuzgul and it and its denmates rapidly consumed all that was offered to them. I since have taken some into my home and back garden for study and for rather odd companionship. This is acceptable to both myself, the Nuzgul and the Cats which also inhabit my smial. My husband, however, is reserving his vote. I thank you and remain at the service of the HADSI -- Molly

Oh dear, Juno, what do you feed it?...Oh.......you........so sorry...um...I never let mine get that big. They're of the cute fluffy type. I'm fairly certain that's a little big for the garden. -- Love -- Molly

This is marvelous. I am looking forward to the final report and perhaps a way to keep these creatures from multiplying like tribbles. RiverOtter

I did not do it on purpose. It was there. I was there. Everything went black. At least now I know why I don't have a garden. *sigh* Yours JunoBattlingWithChapter81

Noldo limps in. She is limping because there is a large Plotbunnius Tolkienis FourthAgeus attached to her ankle. It's chewing happily and makes walking rather difficult. Er, Allie, may I hang around? Even with this thing *prods* on my ankle?

Letter from HADSI

Dear students-- It is with great pleasure HADSI welcomes you to the lecture hall. We hope you will come with an open mind, and leave much enlightened. Molly-- HADSI is delighted that you are satisfied with your "Out of the Shire and Back Again" tote bag. We have passed on your research notes to AM, and she is contemplating different methods of nuzgul attraction (NOTE: Methods of attraction to be used in research study only. Not meant for authorial use, as that would contradict one of the concrete purposes of this study). RiverOtter-- HADSI thanks you for your keen interest in this study, and hopes that you do enjoy reading our research. JM-- Rest assured, AM will be looking into your unusual speciman of order Nuzgûlen . Noldo-- HADSI is delighted to take your application for volunteering. As the department cannot promise safety to all participants, it does well to have a large number, also to collect multiple reactions to the beasts. AM has finished negotiations with Khazad-dum Armories, and should be returning to the department to prepare for departure shortly. The first entry in her scientific log should be posted here in the near future. Regards, HADSI Henneth Annun Department of Scientific Investigation

Official Classification of Nuzgul

Dear lecture members-- The HADSI is currently working on classifying the nuzgul into the official binomial nomenclature and taxonomy system. (For a lay description of this system, see this site for an example. If the naming of species is not an area of your expertise, please see the example to follow along accordingly.) We are currently requesting the opinions of our learned colleagues here at the lecture hall. This is another of AM's current areas of speculation. For research purposes, she is nicknaming the common nuzgul Plotbunnius wraithicus, but new data is discovering that Plotbunnius is a order, and not a more narrow genus. She is still musing on this, and her notes on the classification (under constant revision, as this is an area none have attempted to apply taxonomy to before) of nuzgul are as follows: Kingdom: fanfictionialius (fanfiction) Phylum: Tolkienus (Tolkien fanfiction) Class: Mused(?) (all Tolkien fanfiction muses) (muse=cause inspiration; another class form? nuzgul≠form of muse or nuzgul=form of muse?) Order: Plotbunnius (all Tolkien fanfiction plotbunnies) Family: Fangedin (all Tolkien fanfiction fanged plotbunnies) Genus: Nuzgûlen (the nuzgul genus: all nuzgul) Species: wraithicus (specific form of nuzgul: the common nuzgul) Please post your input here. Regards, HADSI Henneth Annun Department of Scientific Investigation

Re: Official Classification of Nuzgul

Taxonomy...oh dear, oh dear...I hope no one is planning to dissect any of these creatures.....that wouldn't be particularly pleasent.....I know, but my dictionary is propping up something right now....oh, dear....Juno, is that your feet I see sticking out of that large black mass? --Wonderingly -- Molly

Molly-- The HADSI does not advocate in any way the dissection of nuzgul. All species of this creature are far too unknown to attempt such a procedure, as the results could be catastrophic and produce unheard of perils for the team. Of course, AM is known to be somewhat reckless in the pursuit of science, and there is no telling what she may attempt while in the field. Of course, we at HADSI were not actually referring to the dissection of nuzgul. In a lay person's sense, taxonomy refers to the dissection and skinning of animals. In the scientific sense, it refers to this definition: tax·on·o·my (n. pl. tax·on·o·mies) - The classification of organisms in an ordered system that indicates natural relationships. The HADSI is looking for the proper and correct classification all species of the nuzgul genus. That is the true purpose of this notice. Regards, HADSI Henneth Annun Department of Scientific Investigation

*the feet disappear, the mid-section of the black thing heaves, strains, finally quiets down* *a muffled voice is heard* Yes, I think you saw my feet. Sadly the story has picked up new momentum - spiralling me into even more adventure and intrigue and not at all towards the desired "happy end"(...and they lived happily ever after...). *there's a grin on the face of the big black thing; it tries to hide the grin, but it's there: a very smug grin* ...and I don't think that I have the time to start with chapter 82 today... Yours Juno

You're right, Juno, that is a very very big grin...naughty Nuzgul! whatever story you're writing must be very intriguing indeed considering how that large bunny is smiling...my little ones are all cowering under my skirts at this moment. They saw your feet disapear unfortunatly. I'll have to calm them down with some ginger biscuits and cocoa. I'd offer you some but sticking my arm down the gullet of something that big ( and me being maybe 3'4") isn't a very good thing. did you get my messege about the tabasco frittatta? -- Love -- Molly

Yes... thank you... but I am worried about possible side effects on my muse... I posted chapter 82 last night... *sigh* I hope your little ones will recover from the shock. *hands over chocolate elfies* Yours Juno

Poll for research

Lecture members-- Please visit the poll for our research study, and specify which species of nuzgul you are plagued by the most. Thank you. Regards, HADSI Henneth Annun Department of Scientific Investigation [edit: We request especially that all volunteer researchers vote in the abovementioned poll.]

Actually, I have an observation. Since becoming the Keeper of several of the smaller rather garden variety Nuzgul (Nuzgulium Nibblius) I have noticed a change in my own behavior. Outside of baking twice as much as normal, I now find myself attracted to rather large quantities of meat...usually from the leg portion of the animal....such as hams and chuck roasts. Thankfully I have not found any fur growing on strange portions of my body nor have I sprouted whiskers, but I do seem to have this large annoyance with the common Dustbunny cropping up time and again. Any suggestions from the Board? -- Respectfully -- Molly

Since becoming the Keeper of several of the smaller rather garden variety Nuzgul (Nuzgulium Nibblius) I have noticed a change in my own behavior. Outside of baking twice as much as normal, I now find myself attracted to rather large quantities of meat...usually from the leg portion of the animal....such as hams and chuck roasts. Thankfully I have not found any fur growing on strange portions of my body nor have I sprouted whiskers, but I do seem to have this large annoyance with the common Dustbunny cropping up time and again. Any suggestions from the Board? Molly-- Past data does not indicate any measure of this highly unusual phenomenon you describe. Based on your explanation, the team theorizes that it could be a side effect of living in a peaceful and close coexistance with such a large number of Nuzgulen nibblius. Since the authorial reaction is typically to (a) fight the beasts, or (b) bow to their ferocity; yours is an unusual case. Your annoyance with the common dustbunny (Fuzzballius pledgidus) cannot be explained to perfect satisfaction. One researcher speculates that the exceptional and excellent diet of the N. nibblius are receiving while living under your care could result in excess shedding of fur, in turn spawning a prodigious amount of F. pledgidus in the dark areas of your smial (for example, under beds and dressers). Unfortunately, we have no solution to offer at present for either of these strange phenomena. Regards, HADSI Henneth Annun Department of Scientific Investigation

Well, I have to admit that is a relief! I've become rather fond of my furry new friends, although dear Vistula still tries to stomp them every time he drops by. (Of course my husband Beauregarth mentioned in passing I might be with child....ack!!! At my age!) Bye the bye, the coats of the N. Nibblius in my care are quite luxurious, and although this is in part to winter coming on, I agree that it's due in most part to their diet. That also would explain the amounts of F. pledgidus roaming around. My oldest daughter has tried to comb the most somnolent Nuzgul but was snarled at. I think we're now engaged in a study in whether the N. nibblius can be domesticated. Than you for your information. -- Respectfully -- Molly

Dear President of HADSI, I have found an especially engaging picture of the common nuzgûl and thought it might well be worth it to inquire if the Henneth Annûn Department of Scientific Investigation might be allowed to use the said picture for this project. The picture can be found in the fourth box from the top at this website: http://www.misssandman.com/LOTR/fanart.html I hope this aids our project! Regards, the big black thing... ahem... JunoMagic

OOOO, Juno, they're sooo cute!!!...alright so I have a rather skewed version of cuteness..but arn't they adorable in their litle black robes....(stopping and looking askance at the large black thing) Has your (ahem) "freind" grown larger over theYule holidays? -- Love -- Molly

Hi Molly! They are very cute, aren't they! And I have yet to find a picture of one of the gerbil sized ones that keep hanging to my earlobes... and of course, one of the big black thing... *big black thing ruffles its wings, blinks with large liquid eyes, trying to look adorable, failing miserably* I think it's a little bit bigger... since my story now numbers 88 chapters... unfortunately real life keeps me from writing at the moment... I guess you get used to anything eventually, even to living in the stomach of a big black thing *belly of big black thing moves as if poked by elbow, inside out* I hope you had a good holiday, Molly, so that we can get on with the research! Yours Juno... er... the big black thing

Thanks, Juno, I had an excellent holiday. Hope you had the same (even in the stomach of a large black nuzgul) . Well, maybe he'd look more adorable if he didn't have so many large teeth smiling back at me..because he does have rather beautiful eyes. Congrats on getting "Lothirial" up to 88 chapters. I'm struggling to get a small ficlet done for the confessions of a Sleepless night ( so my little furry one is quietly chewing on one of my toes) I havn't written in years. It could be the wings too...on the Nuzgul, that is...are they scaly or feathered? The light's bad. I can't quite see. -- Love -- Molly

Hellloooo.....? (wonders about the overly large echo in the research hall) It is just Juno and myself here? We're really hopping that allie is okay and not leaking blood somewheres. -- Concernedly -- Molly

Habitat notes

Dear students-- AM has finally been galvanized to action in organizing her notes, and has posted the second installment, regarding the nuzgul's habitat. Please read the notes, and state your opinions here. Regards, HADSI Henneth Annun Department of Scientific Investigation

Re: Habitat notes

Hehe, I can't say much on the nuzgul's habitat, but I would like to give a friendly warning: it is my experience that nuzgul breed when they are being fed information and new insights. So you might want to be extra careful in that respect... Amanda.

Habitat? Well, they do like quiet places, such as under desks, under cupboards and wardrobes, but the little darlings also do like to lurk sunny places like gardens. I have even found one sitting prominantly out in broad daylight on a sign post. I think it was waiting for someone....... I do agree with Amanda, that when they are fed information regularly they grow to rather ..ahem.. prodigious sizes (look at Juno's for example!) but then they must be watched for consuming the author. This would be a large drawback in trying to domesticate them. As I am not (sigh) a prodigious writer but an avid reader, mine have stayed quite small and docile. They have however, tended to attach themselves to a very avid writer in the family and many have taken up residence in his paper-strewn study. The rest seem content to be fed regularly and sun themselves. Always at your service. -- Love -- Molly

I am sorry, Molly, but I am in no position to see the wings! For that reason I can also say nothing about its natural habitat! But I hope to work myself up to the light again soon, now that my degree paper is finished! Yours Juno

Congratulations on your degree paper! Might I ask which one are you attempting and what focus? Um...you could sort of comment on your own sort of "habitat" which is inside of a Nuzgul but that might be a little graphic for some of the other students. What actually does go on inside of a Nuzgul?? And why am I asking?? Because inquiring minds want to know!! -- Love -- Molly PS. Actually his wings are sort of furry. They might be small feathers but I'm rather leary of getting closer. His eyes are very pretty though. It's just that toothsome grin that is quite imposing.

Oh Allie...I know you are rather busy being Challenge Mistress (bwhahaha) but is there any chance of getting a new chapter or something on the Nuzgul story? It's soooo funny. -- Love -- Molly

Oh, yes, please! I want to know more about the BBT, the small ones at my ankle and the tiny ones that are attached to my nose and earlobes... not to mention those from other fandoms that are following me around... And then there is the question of the Muses Research Project... BTW, how are your nuzgûl, Molly? Thriving and procreating happily under your sofa? And I could use a bit of that spicy frittata again... the BBT is getting lazy and I DO so want to get the story done! Yours Juno

It's sound like you have a Nuzgul infestation...either that or a severe peircing problem...thankfully they don't bite hard(often). I actually have a very small one sitting on my head like a furry hat. EdorasLass and I were discussing Denethor and his control problem....controlling tavern cats came up. We seguewayed to cats protesting, sitting on thrones, sleeping around the palantir which then became incrusted with cat hair from the static it generated which then saved Denethor from his madness and the whole thing affected the cause of Middle Earth.. yadayadayada. I honestly think Werecat is more competant to handle this than me but who knows where the little furry things might actually take it. Speaking of...my white cat is chasing the cursor across my screen.....the boys want to go outside and Mom is typing opn that darn thing again Most certainly, the spicy frittatta is yours! (produces a smoking hot pan of it and places it in front of the BBT) Extra peppers to motive you! Yes, the Nuzgul are fat and happy and producing lots of fibre for me to spin (never mind what I'm getting off my shedding cats).-- Love -- Molly

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Meril's Miscellany