Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Love Poetry Challenge

Love Poetry Challenge

We have the Denethor Poetry Challenge and we have the Bitter Valentine’s Day Challenge but I’m wondering whether there is any interest in a General Love Poetry Challenge?

Any takers?

Re: Love Poetry Challenge

I'd be very interested in something like this. I do not know if I could produce something like it, but I could try. What do you have in mind for this challenge, Alawa? Would it be a challenge to write the love poetry of any character of our choice? Sort of the opposite from the bitter valentine's and write about successful courtships of ME? Or, would there be different guidelines (happy love, sad love, angsty love)? I think it would be terribly interesting to explore a character through the kind of poetry that s/he writes. After thinking about it and writing this post, I guess I'm a taker!

And then you have Una and Tay.

And didn't Erin Rua say yes?

So is that four, Andria included?

Just need one more, and a description of the Challenge. What would you want to call it, btw?

My husband just looked down at my notebook and thought I had written

Rohirrim are red, violets are blue

Will there be suggested pairings or subject? In my brief stay here, I have found the spark offered by the suggestions is helping me to overcome the feeling that I have never written for other eyes, not because I cannot write so much as because I never feel I have any direction to head in.

I hope to overcome that in time as well! But I am also really enjoying smacking words around to fit the parameters of the challenges. It makes it seem more like a word game - as do the forms I chose, just like a math puzzle - and I seem to be less shy about showing that side of myself, instead of the secret depths of what I am afraid will prove to be my inner mary-sue.

I would be intrigued by pairs of poems - or circles
eowyn to aragorn / arwen to aragorn

Now if you can teach me to spell....

And then you have Una and Tay.

And didn't Erin Rua say yes?

So is that four, Andria included?

That's five including Starlight. Is that enough to make this a goer? How about you Dwim? I'm sure you must be sorely tempted by this one.

What about Meg? More sonnets perhaps?

Just need one more, and a description of the Challenge. What would you want to call it, btw?

People have made some great suggestions and seem to like the idea of keeping this as wide open as possible from fluffy to angsty. I think it should just be careful not to encroach on the specific areas of the Denethor and Bitter Valentine Challenges.

I’m rather feebly having problems with coming up with a wording that is both general and specific, that allows lots of possibilities but keeps to “love” firmly at the heart of it. Can anybody help me out?

As for a title the only one I can come up with at the moment, rather cheesily, is “Aspects of Love”. Perhaps someone, Stulti for instance who has John Donne at her fingertips, might like to make other suggestions?

"No Man Is an Island"?

I don't think I'll be writing for this one, unless something bites, which it had better not.

Maybe you could specify a line, or a concept and then challenge folks to write a love poem around it from the PoV of any character of M-e?

Dwim

"No Man Is an Island"?

I think that is from one of his sermons rather than a love poem!

I don't think I'll be writing for this one, unless something bites, which it had better not.

I bet it does.

Starlight posted the following to the list:

I think we could come up with a "combo" sort of wording, with little
snippets taken from all our former posts. What do you think about
this?

How Do I Love Thee Challenge: (I loved this title)

We often find beautiful tales of love woven throughout Tolkien's
work. There is the tale of Beren and Lúthien, or the story of Aragorn
and Arwen, or Faramir and the Lady of Rohan, or Samwise and Rosie... even Tom Bombadil and Goldberry! And sometimes, Tolkien expressed such feelings through poetry. What would Theoden compose for his wife - would he praise her for the gift of his son? What would Lothiriel lady of Dol Amroth compose for her warrior-king husband Eomer - whether or not she ever let him see it? The challenge is to write the love poetry of any character of your choice, using whatever form you think is most appropriate or befitting for that particular character and the aspect of love you wish to convey.

Now, a few questions: Would humorous poetry be allowed? If so, we
should mention that on the challenge description. Perhaps we also
need a paragraph explaining that it could be angsty, tender,
romantic... as long as it focuses on the couple or the love they
share, or something.

I think this sounds good and Erin's title suggestion is excellent. I think any sort of poem should be allowed including humour so long as it is in character and firmly centred on love.

Here is Elizabeth Barrett Browning's sonnet for inspiration:

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

Greetings all ~

Just me checking in late - yes I support this idea and if my muses permit, I'll try to contribute if this becomes officially a challenge.

And thanks, glad folks like the "How Do I Love Thee" title for the challenge ... I also agree that humor is certainly a part of love, so it should be welcome as part of the challenge, IMHO. As long as it's about loving someone, I expect it could be angsty, silly, sweet or bittersweet, or just plain "awwwww!" Them's my tuppence, anywho. :-)
Cheers ~

Erin

Ok, so I think that's five:

Andria
Una
Starlight
Erin Rua
Tay

Yup. That's five. Ok, the text is here. And there's a thread for conversation here.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges