Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Tolerance "Quickie" Challenge

Tolerance "Quickie" Challenge

Hey guys,

Over at the Henneth_Annun Yahoo group people have been falling left and right to a one-week challenge that I proposed. And I've never been one to fling a nuzgul only once when I think it might bight a few more times.

So here's the idea: write me a story about tolerance, racism, classism, etc. (or lack thereof) in Middle-earth. Faramir divided men into different classes. The elves certainly had less than accepting feelings of different groups and about certain types of non-Elves. And Shire-hobbits weren't too crazy about the Big People. There are loads of other instances where both individuals and groups are judged not based on actual experiences with that individual/group, but because of first impressions or biases you have before you even meet an actual elf, dwarf, etc.

So make us cringe, make us cry, make us laugh - any race, age, or genre so long as it touches on the topic of equality and acceptance or lack thereof.

These pieces should stay fairly short. Initially I suggested 750 words as an upper limit, but I'm willing to be flexible about that. Drabbles and drabble series are definitely acceptable. But the *real* reason you'll want to keep this short is because you only have a week to right these pieces.

That's right - the Tolerance Challenge has a closing date of next Sunday. You guys get the same week the people over at Henneth_Annun did, and I hope you have as much fun as they all did.

When you're done, add your story to the "Tolerance Challenge" and post a link here so we can all marvel. Best of luck.

Marta

Re: Tolerance

I've never written a story to a challenge this fast, but I was definitely inspired! Here is my entry, a version of Faramir and Eomer's first meeting. It's a little longer than 750 words, for which I am very sorry, but dratted Faramir is so long-winded when he's in character. Wink I'll probably edit it a little soon, as I always find something to tweak, but for now, hope you enjoy!

EDIT: I went back and fixed some rough spots, mostly word choice and a different first sentence. Here it is again:

A Matter of Definition

~MerryK

Thanks, Marta!

Here's my entry, slightly tweaked from my posting on HA:
The Beginning of a Wonderful Friendship

I still have the feeling there are some rough spots. I have opened a new thread in my forum "Imhiriel's Imaginings" and would welcome impressions or suggestions.

Imhiriel

Hi guys!

Thanks for setting up this challenge, Marta... the onlist version has spawned a bunch of great stories!

I've added my drabble trio, Meeting Eorl to the challenge. It's a scene from my perpetually WIP drabble series, Fell and Fair.

I would welcome any comments; you can leave them at my discussion, Elena Tiriel - Star Gazings, or any way that's convenient.

Enjoy!

- Barbara

When you're done, add your story to the "Tolerance Challenge" and post a link here so we can all marvel. Best of luck.

Feelings of Superiority- six drabbles, three for men and three for elves show no one is immune to insularity.

Gwynnyd 

I've added The Odd Couple, drabbles about Legolas and Gimli, to the Tolerance challenge.

Chapter five, "Differences," is a new addition specifically for this challenge.

"Unexpected" and "A Taste of Honey" are slash.

Gandalfs apprentice

I've added my little piece. Agape

http://www.henneth-annun.net/members/challenge/chapter_view.cfm?STID=6672&SPOrdinal=1&NGID=490

Of course, I hate linking - this doesn't look exactly like the rest of yours -

but it is for "He Is Mine!"

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges