Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: First Marital Spat (especially Eowyn & Faramir)

First Marital Spat (especially Eowyn & Faramir)

Hi All!

I'm a newbie, but this is one subject that has captured my imagination lately and it looks like no one has dealt with this (at least, not recently). Marital spats always happen, even in the "perfect" couple, so what about Faramir and Eowyn? (or Arwen & Aragorn, or Rosie & Samwise, or Galadriel & Celeborn or...)

Specifically:
* What circumstances could possibly provoke a fight between these two? And we're not talking just a disagreement. Somebody sleeps on the couch over this one.
* Who's fault is it?
* What would the fight be over?

And last but not least...

*How do they make up?

Yes, I'm a serious "shipper." Any other out there wanna tackle this one? I'm dying of curiousity!

Eowyn77

Re: First Marital Spat (especially Eowyn & Faramir)

Love this challenge---I am not a big responder to challenges, but I am an expert on marital spats! Love the concept and three of the named couples appealed to me as possible subject matter. I would definitely like to think it about it--yeah, you've hooked me on this one. Count me in. I'll pick my protagonists later.

Oshun

Have you checked out "Women's Work" by JediShampoo? It's about a F/E spat that you might find enjoyable?

I'm not volunteering for this challenge, btw - but I do look forward to the offerings! These could be some neat stories.

I'll go for it. Seems it's been hard to get five for a challenge these days at HASA--I hope this one flies! Long deadline, please.

Gandalfs apprentice 

(In Response to "Women's Work" by JediShampoo)

What an interesting read! Gondor seen through Tolkien's eyes is all that is high and chivalric and noble, and yet it's the human, fallible sides of the characters that are most intriguing. The idea of camp followers in Gondor is a shock, but after I thought about it, why not? Surely not EVERYONE in Gondor was honorable and noble, even if most were. That and the "chivalric age" was also an age of ribaldry, though that rarely figures into the tales of battles and kings. So yes, I did find it quite enjoyable. Thanks for the recommendation.

Welcome Eowyn!

You're right, this is an interesting challenge (although I am more inclined to be interested in a different couple--I've told you before Aragorn is my man!) I do hope you complete your story soon though. I look forward to reading it.

-kateydidnt

Have you been bitten by your own nuzgul, eowyn77? If so, this great idea has three pledges so far. I'm sure it will soon attract two more unsuspecting victims...  Anyone willing to take the plunge?

~Nienna (Challenges Assistant)

I wasn't sure about the rules in terms of 5 pledges and one's own work.  Yes, I've got a story in process on this one, although in true nuzgul style, what started as a 3-5 pager has grown to 16 pages and it's still not done yet!   

So yes, if it's allowed, I'll take up my own challenge with pleasure.

Well, you know I'm already writing on Faramir and Eowyn.  Why not give us a little variety and write Aragorn's and Arwen's first spat?  Please don't feel limited to Faramir and Eowyn.  That's the couple I'm personally most interested in, but there are plenty of "perfect" couples to play with.  What I'm after is how these super-human characters interact and react in that crucible of love.  I promise a good, long deadline. 

I promise to write about Aragorn and Arwen if this challenge gets off the ground.

Gandalfs apprentice 

What I'm after is how these super-human characters interact and react in that crucible of love.  I promise a good, long deadline.

I have no ideas at the moment, but if you do get this to be a regular challenge, I may throw in a placeholder for when inspiration strikes.

Gwynnyd 

So yes, if it's allowed, I'll take up my own challenge with pleasure.

It most certainly is.  The idea creator can count as one of the pledges. And good luck with your story. Nuzguls tend to get a little...wild as they grow, wouldn't you say?  

~Nienna

I count four: Oshun, Gandalfs Apprentice, Eowyn77, Gwynnyd.

Do we have a fifth?

RiverOtter

I thought Gywnnyd wasn't officially pledging. I could be wrong...

EDIT: I think I was thinking of a different challenge.

~Nienna

I thought Gywnnyd wasn't officially pledging.

Well, er, um, I wasn't.  However, what came out today was 900 words that count as a marital spat, I think, so do the challenge and mine is mostly done.

Gwynnyd 

Can I double duty a story? 

The mega-drabble I wrote for RiverOtter fits the challenge.  So, please could one more person chime in, so this can be official?

My story is here: City of Trees

Gwynnyd 

That sounds like a very interesting idea, eowyn.

Just think of the cultural differences in relationships like Éowyn&Faramir or Éomer&Lothíriel. This could begin with misunderstandings and end with disgust over special, cultural practises. Does Arwen have difficulties coping with her new mortality? Or is it just a tiny thing that could happen to everyone of us? Is not everyone married able to tell such a story?

I am so looking forward to read your stories

Oh no, I got bitten, twice! But then gain, there is so much do. Ah, whatever, I am in and that makes five.

~Vilwarin

What deadline - 6 months, 9 months?

Eowyn77 - since you set the challenge, please decide.

RiverOtter

I was thinking 9 months. It'll probably take me that long to get mine post-worthy. Have we really gotten enough people on-board for an honest-to-goodness challenge then? Sweet!

Eowyn77 (aka "Hillary" outside of ME)

Hey Hillary, yes, we are now five indeed, how exciting, isn't it?

I have written you how to proceed, did you get my message?

~Vilwarin

The challenge Marital Spats is now set up. You find the Discussion here.

Deadline is April 30th 2007

~Vilwarin

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges