Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: When we have shuffled off this mortal coil

When we have shuffled off this mortal coil

Hi all. Death-fics: most of us have a love/hate relationship with them. No one really wants to read or write about the passing of one's favourite characters, but, in the end, the love we have for them leads us to this dark place. So I had this idea for a challenge: Write about any of the following subjects.
  • The passing of one of the canon characters that is not already described in the books.
  • How the death of any canon character affects his/her immediate family and/or the rest of the world.
  • The thought of, say, orc no.2546754 during the siege of Minas Tirith when he sees a boulder about to land on his head. Any characters, as long as it involves around-death introspection: regrets, prayers, thoughts for loved ones.
  • We know where Elves go after death. What about Men, Dwarves and Hobbits?
Any takers? Werecat

Re: When we have shuffled off this mortal coil

Oooo, I've got a ficlet that'll fit this one. Count me in! Allie

And me, and me Soubrettina

Hmm... I have a short piece very similar to this, and Im looking forward to writing another...count me in. ~VG

Four takers so far! Thanks, people! OK, one more is needed now.... Werecat

*raises hand sporting a furry little nuzgul bracelet that is gnawing gently on the wrist* Okay, count me in...I have a fic about the Gaffer *mostly* done that would fit this. Vistula

I've got an idea I've been kicking around that would fit this challenge. Count me in.

Yeah! We have not five, but SIX takers so far. So, how long should we keep this open? How about setting Halloween as a closing date? Werecat

I've got half a story written about a (probably AU) character death. This will give me the incentive to finish it - it usually makes me too depressed. Count me in. Jay

Oh - and of course there is my very first story, which starts with a character death (definitely AU this time) and looks at the thoughts and memories of those left. As it was the first thing I ever wrote, it's not my best work, but I'll polish it a little. Jay

Yay! Go Werecat! I'll go and set this up, with Halloween as the closer date. Watch this space. Allie edit: Challenge and discussion!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges