Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Put Down That Can(n)on Mr. Tolkien

Put Down That Can(n)on Mr. Tolkien

Since Allie was bemoaning the fact that there hadn't been much activity on the Challenges forum...who am I to disappoint Here it goes: Of course we all have our favorite "canonical" couples in Tolkien's world but many of us have toyed with the idea of putting together individuals that Tolkien never could or would have written. The only thing holding us back...canon. So, I am challenging my fellow HA writers to throw caution (and canon) to the wind and put together those dream (or perhaps nightmare) couples that have been floating about in your brains. Some ideas bandied about on the HA yahoo list were: Thorongil and Finduilas - which could lead to all kinds of surprising ramifications to the Ring War tale Eowyn and Merry during the ride from Rohan to Minas Tirith Arwen and Legolas perhaps The only requirements would be that these should not be couples as conceived of by Tolkien and they should both be canon characters (no OFC or OMCs please). They can be long term commitments or one night stands, het or slash, whatever your canon relieved mind can come up with. Any victems...ahem...takers? Vistula

Re: Put Down That Can(n)on Mr. Tolkien

There's lots that could be done with Thorongil and Finduilas...heh-heh-heh. I have something relatively short that begs to be written. How long would I have? I have no time these days, and shouldn't even be thinking when I have two other fanfic projects I'm don't have time to work on.... I would love to pair up Thranduil and Arwen, but have no idea how to do it...Maybe someone else could write it. RAKSHA THE DEMON

I write Merry/Eowyn, so I'd take up the challenge! Aranel Took

Great...two willing vic...er...um...volunteers! That makes three so far. Come on folks! You know you want to.... Vistula

Okay; the muse flung the nuzgul at me and the darned critter wouldn't let go until I finished the rough draft. Is the challenge official yet? Refresh my rusty memory - we can put a challenge story into Beta, can't we? RAKSHA THE DEMON

Of course we all have our favorite "canonical" couples in Tolkien's world but many of us have toyed with the idea of putting together individuals that Tolkien never could or would have written. The only thing holding us back...canon. So, I am challenging my fellow HA writers to throw caution (and canon) to the wind and put together those dream (or perhaps nightmare) couples that have been floating about in your brains. Some ideas bandied about on the HA yahoo list were: Thorongil and Finduilas - which could lead to all kinds of surprising ramifications to the Ring War tale Eowyn and Merry during the ride from Rohan to Minas Tirith Arwen and Legolas perhaps The only requirements would be that these should not be couples as conceived of by Tolkien and they should both be canon characters (no OFC or OMCs please). They can be long term commitments or one night stands, het or slash, whatever your canon relieved mind can come up with. Any victims...ahem...takers? I posted this prompt some time ago, had a few potential takers and haven't heard a peep since! C'mon, there have to be a few more hearty souls out there with non-cannonical pairings they'd like to explore. Someone...anyone...? Vistula looks under chair, computer desk... Hellooooooo.... Vistula

My story is in the works; not ready for publication yet, but getting there. I imagine it will be finished within the next six months on the outside...I have other fanfics and RL and I have to juggle the priorities... RAKSHA THE DEMON

Hi Vistula, I have a filk about Estel and Bilbo in The Hobbit that's of a romantic nature. If you think a filk is okay, you can count me in. Some of my favourite stories involve unlikely pairings. Dwim's pieces about Halbarad/Aragorn, Wil Iris' one on Legolas/Goldberry and Ariel's on Frodo/Goldberry. I'm looking forward to seeing what this challenge produces. Marta

I have a filk about Estel and Bilbo in The Hobbit that's of a romantic nature. If you think a filk is okay, you can count me in. I don't have a problem with a filk at all, Marta, as long as it fits the non-canonical romance theme. Okay, that means we have RAKSHA, Aranel, Marta and myself... If I'm counting correctly, (and mind you math was never my strong point) that leaves only one.... Don't make me whine....pleeeeeeeeeze!! LOL! Vistula

My story is in the works; not ready for publication yet, but getting there. I imagine it will be finished within the next six months on the outside...I have other fanfics and RL and I have to juggle the priorities... I can understand the RL complications...no worries there. I'm all for a looooong deadline. Six months work for you or would a year be better (that is...if we can get this challenge off the ground)? Vistula

Well, I have only a drabble that fits this Challenge... But if you accept drabbles, count me in. Yours Juno

But if you accept drabbles, count me in. Size matters not...judge me by my size do you? Errrr...pardon me. Wrong universe. Of course, drabbles would be perfectly acceptable. Woo hoo! If I'm counting correctly that'd make five then. I think six months would be good for a time frame...unless anyone would really like longer. *looks around anxiously for a challenge manager* Helllooooo...anyone out there? Vistula

Five, indeed! Six months? Is the prompt looking all right? Let me know, and I'll set it up sometime over the next couple of days. Allie

Yeehaw, go for launch! Six months seems fine by me. And the prompts look just lovely from where I'm sitting, though I'm not very subjective about them... Aeneid

Up and running!

Do check out the challenge, and the discussion thread as well. Challenge closes in 6 months. Have fun! Allie

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges