Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Bookverse improbabilities challenge

Bookverse improbabilities challenge

Liz and I were discussing the movieverse challenges this morning, and it reminded me of an idea I had a while ago. For the movieverse challenge, we took scenes from Peter Jackson's trilogy of movies that bothered us for some reason (characterization, plot continuity, etc.) and tried to make sense of them. But let's face it… even book-canon is extremely complex and has its inconsistencies (or at least improbabilities): * At Helm's Deep Gimli says his axe has hewn naught but wood since Moria. So what exactly happened at Amon Hen? * How is it that Aragorn came to be carrying around the Shards of Narsil when he met Frodo in Bree? Was this normal for him, and if not, how did he find the time to pick them up at that time? * In the pyre scene Denethor clearly has the palantír with him. How did he manage to get it from the White Tower to the Rath Dínen without anyone noticing? And think of how the inconsistencies between the various drafts in the Silm, HoME, and UT. There's lots of room to play there as well. If you haven't seen it already, I highly recommend Gwynnyd's "Not Without Hope". This is the piece that got me thinking about how many things in book-canon just don't seem very probable. (This particular piece deals with how Gilraen came to dwell in Rivendell.) Anyway, is anyone interested in taking on similar issues? I might have to write my idea about just how Bilbo came to order toys from Dale (instead of Erebor), one of these days. Marta

Re: Bookverse improbabilities challenge

I'd be interested! Karri

I have no idea for this yet, but I think I'd like to write something... A chance to work on Tolkien's less than perfect moments! Hmmm.... I'd need a very long deadline! Yours JunoBusy

I'd be interested. There are lots of inconsistencies between The Hobbit and LOTR - the silliness of the elves of Rivendell in The Hobbit (that song!!) for instance. There are also characters that should have been around in the Hobbit, but weren't mentioned (young Estel in Rivendell, Legolas in the halls of the Elvenking and at the Battle of Five Armies). Tolkien hadn't created them then, but we can include them. Jay

An interesting idea. Four interested so far. Keep promoting. RiverOtter

the silliness of the elves of Rivendell in The Hobbit (that song!!) for instance. Hm, that would be interest-- NO! No more placeholders! No more nuzgul! That's it, I'm swearing off this foru-- Wait a sec, I'm a CM, I can't do that... *string of garbled, sputtering elvish profanity* Allie *contemplating* No promise. No way. Not now.

If you haven't seen it already, I highly recommend Gwynnyd's "Not Without Hope". This is the piece that got me thinking about how many things in book-canon just don't seem very probable. (This particular piece deals with how Gilraen came to dwell in Rivendell.) Well, gosh. I'm in! Uh, Marta, I can just use NWH for this, right? Of course, I do have this other idea as well.... Gwynnyd

I count five: Marta, Karri, JunoMagic, Jay of Lasgalen and Gwynnyd. So I need a closing date. Do you want to use the original prompt or modify it? RiverOtter

I'm in too! But can I suggest adding to the prompt that inconsistences between the Hobbit, LOTR & the Silm count? , Elemmíre

Well, gosh. I'm in! Excellent. Uh, Marta, I can just use NWH for this, right? Of course, I do have this other idea as well.... Of course you can. But I'd love to see a new piece as well. I can see alol kinds of funny moments because Aragorn's walking around with Anduril unsheathed on the way to the Black Gate. Marta

Hmmm.... I'd need a very long deadline! That's fine. Is seven months or so long enough? September 22nd is a nice, Tolkieny date. But if you need longer just say so. Marta

I'm in too! But can I suggest adding to the prompt that inconsistences between the Hobbit, LOTR & the Silm count? That's fine with me. I'm sorry, my brain is very muddled lately, but maybe the CM can edit the prompt to include that point? Besides this, I'm open to the original prompt being used as-is, or tweaked in any way the CM sees fit. Marta

I will ponder tweaking and get back to you. RiverOtter

Proposed text

For the movieverse challenge, we took scenes from Peter Jackson's trilogy of movies that bothered us for some reason (characterization, plot continuity, etc.) and tried to make sense of them. But let's face it… even book-canon is extremely complex and has its inconsistencies (or at least improbabilities): * At Helm's Deep Gimli says his axe has hewn naught but wood since Moria. So what exactly happened at Amon Hen? * How is it that Aragorn came to be carrying around the Shards of Narsil when he met Frodo in Bree? Was this normal for him, and if not, how did he find the time to pick them up at that time? * In the pyre scene Denethor clearly has the palantír with him. How did he manage to get it from the White Tower to the Rath Dínen without anyone noticing? And think of how the inconsistencies between the various drafts in the Silm, HoME, and UT. There's lots of room to play there as well. If you haven't seen it already, I highly recommend Gwynnyd's "Not Without Hope". This is the piece that got me thinking about how many things in book-canon just don't seem very probable. (This particular piece deals with how Gilraen came to dwell in Rivendell.) Anyway, is anyone interested in taking on similar issues? I might have to write my idea about just how Bilbo came to order toys from Dale (instead of Erebor), one of these days. Inconsistences between the Hobbit, LOTR & the Silm count as well. Deadline September 22. 2005 Opinion please before I create the challenge. RiverOtter

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges