Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: The Blind, The Deaf, The Crippled

The Blind, The Deaf, The Crippled

Even in Middle-Earth, not everyone can be healthy and happy all the time. There are sick people, there must be cripples too. If you're up to it, then, write this - a blind, deaf, or otherwise impaired character. How do they manage during wars - or even during ordinary times? They probably can't go to war...how would a blind man feel about being forced to stay at home, and see (well, hear) all his contemporaries go to the last stand? How would the deaf girl feel about her life? Any length, any time, any place. Most likely humans, but you could do an Elf - if you feel brave enough. Any takers?

Re: The Blind, The Deaf, The Crippled

*raises paw* I have a crippled character in one of my stories, so count me in. Werecat

I'd be interested in this, Noldo! You can count me in. CLF

Hey Noldo, JunoMagic's The Harper would be good for this. You should ask her if she'd consider submitting it for the challenge. Aeneid

Any length, any time, any place. Most likely humans, but you could do an Elf - if you feel brave enough. Hmmm...or perhaps a Hobbit? Might be one or two of them dealing with a disability. BSG Count me in, if the deadline is long enough! Cheers, Vistula who admits, Hey it's my soapbox and yes, I'll get off of it now!

I think I'm going to do an elf . . . I don't know, though. I guess maybe I just feel like making something that's too darned perfect imperfect. CLF

Counting: Noldo, Werecat, Cold Like Fire and Vistula. So one more and we have a challenge!!! They're growing like wildfire. RiverOtter

They're growing like wildfire. A testimonial to the boredom of the HASA members? Come on...one more person...sign up, already... CLF, if you're set on doing an Elf, and want a canonically crippled one (Shock! Horror!) might I suggest Gwindor? You know, found Turin, Finduilas's ex, ravaged in Angband... Of course there's always Mr. Maedhros and his cut-off hand, but, frankly, that's been done many times. I'm doing an OFC. A Gondorian OFC. Noldo

None, not an indication of boredom but the fetile minds of the HASA members. As I recall, Molly Littlefoot has been feeding the nugzuls so they seem to be growing into full-blow challenges. RiverOtter

None, not an indication of boredom but the fetile minds of the HASA members. I would have guessed febrile, myself... - Barbara

CLF, if you're set on doing an Elf, and want a canonically crippled one (Shock! Horror!) might I suggest Gwindor? You know, found Turin, Finduilas's ex, ravaged in Angband... Of course there's always Mr. Maedhros and his cut-off hand, but, frankly, that's been done many times. I'm doing an OFC. A Gondorian OFC. Noldo That's a good idea. Do you think I should do him as a kid, adult, or during his return, realizing that he's crippled, but his girlfriend is in love with a human? I could also stick a bunch of flash backs in . . .

And a very fertile garden they seem to becoming too! This is a marvelous thought and I look forward to reading these stories...I wish I could write better than I can....Besides, it's my job to feed the underfed and unappreciated...and the Nuzguls seem to fit into both catagories. Tea anyone? -- Love -- Molly

Four and counting: Noldo, CLF, Werecat, and Vistula! One more, one more! Always, Allie

Count me in. I've been working on a story with a blind weaver, so that would apply. I don't know when it will be finished, but....I love placeholders. I collect them! LOL ~Lady Aranel~

That makes five. Noldo, do you want to use the original prompt or rewrite it? And a closing date please. RiverOtter

I think the original prompt is all right, but then my lack f sleep might be impairing my judgment. As for the closing date...will six months or a year do for everyone? I have way too many things to write, and would likely need that much time. How about you guys?

Do you think I should do him as a kid, adult, or during his return, realizing that he's crippled, but his girlfriend is in love with a human? It would likely have to be during his return, as AFAIK he wasn't crippled till he returned from Angband. Loads of angst potential there.

Please set a closing date. I think a year would be better. That way, people have more time to develop their stories. RiverOtter

I reckon a year it is, then.

Noted. Allie or I will set it up after the first so it does not get lost in the end of the year festivities. RiverOtter

I just set this one up yesterday, as well as the corresponding thread in Story Discussions forum. Have fun! Allie

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges