Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Aragorn Poetry Writing Challenge

Aragorn Poetry Writing Challenge

We had a 'Denethor Writing Challenge', and lots of Denethor’s hidden poetry was discovered. I'm sure Aragorn has reams of poetry hidden away somewhere as well. So, is anyone willing to discover his writings? I'm sure he wrote lots of angsty poetry declaring his love for Arwen as a love struck boy. Maybe Thorongil wrote poetry dedicated to the White City or Finduilas, he could even have written about Denethor being a prat. Or there could be poetry from a king to his queen, or of the love he had for his children. It's already bitten me. Any takers?

Re: Aragorn Poetry Writing Challenge

I'm definitely up for this. I have a lot of ridiculous stories about a poetic Aragorn that I'm dying to show the world. 'Denethor being a prat'...that's definitely something interesting. Noldo unusually hyper this morning

I'm definitely interested! CLF

The both of you can usually be counted on to get bitten. I'm surprised that the little nuzgûls don't run away when you approach. That's three, any more?

Well, I don't know about CLF, but I get bitten mainly because I have an overactive imagination, and too much free time on my hands. Hey! No fair! It's me who runs away from the nuzgul! . . . Well, I try to. It doesn't work, though.

Count me in!! I've been looking for an excuse to drag my poetry muse kicking and screaming out of hiding. This looks like just the challenge to do it. Cheers! Vistula

Only one more bite is needed then. Come on people, pet the sweet little nuzgûl...

Ach! Elvenesse! Problem is though, I suspect Aragorn wrote rather good poetry. I think I might be with Sam on this one I'm not much good at poetry - not the making it: a bit of a comic rhyme, perhaps, now and again, you know, but not real poetry - so I can't tell you what I mean. It ought to be sung. You'd have to get Strider, Aragorn that is, or old Mr. Bilbo, for that. But I'll give it a go, if the muse strikes - she's being very elusive at the moment - and, if the worst comes to the worst, I can post the one I wrote for the love poetry challenge. Alawa (wondering what on earth she's let herself in for).

His poetry might be structurally good. But he could still write about Denethor's prattiness... We have five people! Elvenesse, me, CLF, Alawa, Vistula. Is a Challenges Manager about? - Noldo Can't wait to write this stuff

His poetry might be structurally good. But he could still write about Denethor's prattiness... I suspect he's a dab hand at limericks. Alawa

Ach! Elvenesse! Problem is though, I suspect Aragorn wrote rather good poetry. Well, I'm pretty certain that he was by the time of the Ring War, because he came up with the first and last stanza of 'Lament for Boromir' (at the beginning of 'The Two Towers'), seemingly off the top of his head, which is pretty depressing. However I refuse to believe he could have been that good naturally, it must have taken a lot of practise. And what better way to pratise than just after he met Arwen and wrote poetry declaring his undying love for her. Which is why I've decided to use that particular time period - I don't have to come up with anything spectacular.

Which is why I've decided to use that particular time period - I don't have to come up with anything spectacular. Excellent thinking

You want bad poetry? I can give you some right now. Here's a little excerpt from one of my parodies: So, how does it feel, being Queen of Gondor? I hope it isn't an awful bore. If it is, then Éomer, Who lives in Rohan, will take you there, But I really love you lots and lots, And if you left me, I'd break out in spots. I think that was worse than you wanted...but hey, it was a parody. Anything goes, except sugar-high-ness.

All right, a challenge! *cheer* Well done, Elvenesse! The Brave Five: Elvenesse, Noldo, CLF, Vistula, and Alawa. Does anyone have a timeframe preference? 3 months, 6 months, a year? If the prompt is OK as is, once you give me a time limit, I'll set it up. Always, Allie

Three months is fine for me, but does anyone else want longer? I think the prompt might need a little more work - any suggestions? - Elvenesse/Kate

Is the title "Aragorn Poetry Writing Challenge" all right? Time limit of 3 months? Suggested prompt below. If it suits, let me know! Always, Allie -------------- As Beren looked into her eyes Within the shadows of her hair, The trembling starlight of the skies He saw there mirrored shimmering. Tinuviel the elven-fair, Immortal maiden elven-wise, About him cast her shadowy hair And arms like silver glimmering. So Aragorn was singing when he first met Arwen. Obviously, the man knew his love poetry and tragic lays. But was he a poet himself? Did he keep a small journal squirreled away in his pack, writing reams of poetry in secret? Is anyone willing to discover his writings? Our beloved Ranger probably wrote lots of angsty poetry declaring his love for Arwen as a lovestruck boy. Maybe Thorongil wrote poetry dedicated to the White City, or to Finduilas. He could even have written about Denethor being a prat. Or there could be poetry from a king to his queen, or of the love he had for his children. Any style of poetry, and any length: just show us some verse penned by Aragorn at any point in his life! Courtesy of Elvenesse. Challenge closes [date].

That's much better - thanks Allie!

*whistling cheerfully* Prompt: check. Five Victims: check. (Elvenesse, Noldo, CLF, Vistula, Alawa) Time limit: check (three months) All good and clear? Excellent! Onward to creating the challenge! Always, Allie edit: The challenge is posted, as well as the discussion.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges