Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: The Fate Of The Sons of Elrond

The Fate Of The Sons of Elrond

The children of Elrond had a choice after he sailed for Valinor - to become mortal and die, or to chose their Elvish heritage and sail as well. Tolkien did not commit himself on the fate of Elladan and Elrohir - after Elrond sailed, they 'delayed their choice and remained a while'. So, what happened? Did they chose mortality? Did they sail to Valinor? Or did they both chose different fates, as Elrond and Elros did? Tell me the fate of the twins. Jay

Re: The Fate Of The Sons of Elrond

People can't make them choose different fates, that's just nasty. I might try and expand on the drabble I wrote for your birthday, if not I could cheat and enter that. Whilst on the subject, does anyone know of a short twincest fic where they choose mortality (I think)? I can't remember where I read it, but it has something about them looking to the stars in it. - Elvenesse/Kate

Jay, I'm not sure if you're aware that a successful challenge, A Peredhel's Fate, which has a very similar prompt to yours, has already been run. As I understand it, the rules in the past only allowed a particular challenge (other than some seasonal ones) to be run once, although people can add stories to the "Oliphaunt" for a closed challenge. If the new version of the idea is sufficiently different in some way, then a new challenge could be created, because it is a different challenge . Of course, I don't know whether those rules still apply and as I'm not a CM, I've no idea what does apply. With the CM post in transition, perhaps you'd be willing to hold off on promoting and discussing this one until a new CM is in place and can decide? Alternatively, you might want to see if any of the nuzgul relating to Elladan and Elrohir in the nuzgul hutch appeal and you want to take them up and try and drum up five entries to get the nuzgul converted to a challenge. Sorry to be a wet blanket here :-( Cheers, Liz Edit: PS - not that I wouldn't want to see more stories about the fate(s) of the Twins as well, whatever happens with this challenge!

I'd definitely be interested!

Hello, victims-- friends... I'm the first new CM, so I figured I'd start answering questions as well as I can. Yes, Liz is right: A Peredhel's Fate is a closed challenge, and the premise is identical to what you posed here, Jay, and I'm pretty sure that the same idea can't be run twice. If you'd like to come up with a variation on that, post the idea here, and I'll see if it is applicable for a challenge (at this point, I'm not sure). However, the Oliphaunt from A Peredhel's Fate is up for wrangling in the Oliphaunt Pen, if anyone wants to tackle it... ~Allie/Meril your New Challenges Manager

~Allie/Meril your New Challenges Manager Welcome aboard, Allie/Meril! (Do you prefer to be called Allie or Meril?) I don't usually participate in Challenges by writing (my muse is obstinately fixated on Resources), but I do enjoy reading about people's ideas here when I have the time. Good to see that you will be continuing a fine old HASA tradition of nuzgûl-flinging! - Barbara

Hi Alli! Glad you're an admin! Would anyone want to do the Oliphaunt? I'd definitely do it! CLF

Welcome aboard, Allie/Meril! (Do you prefer to be called Allie or Meril?) lol, Barbara! I'll answer to either, but I'll respond more to Allie. Meril's just my pen name. ~Allie

Thanks for the welcome, CLF! To clarify: Oliphaunts don't require the five pledges. They are up for individual grabs in the Oliphaunt Pen. An Oliphaunt is a closed challenge, where authors can still enter stories (though they aren't listed publicly under the original challenge, I believe). Thinking of taking it on, CLF? I did give you the link... Allie

Yes, I think I'm going to take it on.

I'm new here, hi I was wondering about a similar thing, it also involves the relationship between the twins and their sister Arwen.

Excellent, Minuial! And welcome to HASA! If you're interested in this, I suggest checking out the Oliphaunt for A Peredhel's Fate. There is no closing date for that, so take as long as you like, and write to your heart's content! Allie

I'll think about it. I am pretty new to Tolkien ff and I don't know yet if I can handle canon characters. But thanks for the welcome

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges