Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Kids do the darndest things...

Kids do the darndest things...

Tried to post this three times now and various things have prevented it so it is not going to be as eloquent as it would have been if I had been able to post it the first time through. Sorry! Most of the main Lord of the Rings characters are people of high position and we all know, as parents or from being little hoodlums ourselves, that kids. My younger brother, for example, had the habit of losing his clothing and running down the street naked. A difficult thing to explain if, say, you were the Steward of Gondor. Any kid, any time, any frazzled parent chasing after them/finding them/tearing their hair out over their exploits. The kid should be young enough to NOT get into much trouble about it, I'd think between birth and 7 or 8 years (or the human equivalent). Just some random ideas that popped into my mind when thinking of this... *Elboron the escape artist: Here's a kid whose father is arguably the second most powerful man in Gondor. He liked to get out of the nursery and turn up in unexpected places. Like the King's study. *Elrond's twins are, often, in fanon given the reputation of pranksters. Mud, Elflings and a certain Barlog slayler. Although on second thought that sounds like a bad slash fic... *Eowyn, unnoticed, under a table playing with toy soldiers over which Theoden is having a council. Unnoticed until she manages to get bored and stab a certain grim faced councillor in the foot with a fork being used as part of a fortress. *Aragorn, furture King of the reunited kingdom, being held by his father for the first time, and peeing all over him. *Legolas deciding that he is going to capture a Mirkwood spider and make it into a pet.

Re: Kids do the darndest things...

*Elrond's twins are, often, in fanon given the reputation of pranksters. Mud, Elflings and a certain Barlog slayler. Although on second thought that sounds like a bad slash fic... Oh dear...I really should learn better than to come into this forum! I have a vision here...and it involves a less than spotless Glorfindel... Cute Idea, Jacks! Cheryl

*Elrond's twins are, often, in fanon given the reputation of pranksters. Mud, Elflings and a certain Barlog slayler. Although on second thought that sounds like a bad slash fic..... Well the twins are young adults, and the elfling is Legolas, but otherwise, I've done that already. Sounds like a fun challenge. (Any excuse to write about elflings works for me. ) Karri

I've got an idea that involves Feanor, Amrod and Amras, and fire-lit-hair . . . I've never written about elflings before, so this will be really interesting! CLF

Nice work, Jacks. Looks like you have a couple of victims already. . Okay, it looks like Karri and CLF are interested. Cheryl, do I count you in? And yourself, Jacks? ;-) I'd think between birth and 7 or 8 years (or the human equivalent). That's a good point. Children of other races might well take longer to 'grow up.' Just a suggestion though - kids in their teens still do get themselves into scrapes - albeit of a different sort. Would you consider extending this to the rebellious teenagers of M-E (or the elvish/dwarvish/hobbitish equivalent)? Do you have a time frame in mind for this challenge? The usual I believe, is about 3 months, but it could be longer (or shorter) if you like depending on your preferences and popular demand. cheers, nrink

Merciful Eru! I really have to stop coming into the challenge forums! To add a twist, what about someone who would not be expected to be childlike? Like... oh, let's take everyone's dysfunctional father: Denethor, son of Ecthelion? Or how about Elrond? How was Galadriel as a child in Tirion? Was Earendil a demon-child in Gondolin? Back later with more thoughts... ~Meril Edit: And if you couldn't tell, I am interested in this one. *mutters* All right, I've collected three nuzgul in two days, I think... Oh dear...

I am for sure in on this. There may even be more than one...there may not be. It could be extended to teens. I was thinking of posting another challange, but I'm trying to think it through first and that wouldn't be so much an embarrasing situation with a rebellious teen as a serious problem child but anyway... I had no idea for a time frame. 3 months sounds good to me, unless anyone else wants it to be longer. The examples I did were just off the top of my head. I was thinking ANY child. If no one else writes them I might just have to write all of the examples...damnit!

It could be extended to teens. I was thinking of posting another challange, but I'm trying to think it through first and that wouldn't be so much an embarrasing situation with a rebellious teen as a serious problem child but anyway... Please extend it to at least the early teens .. I have this story I've been working on, it's stillunfinished but it would be perfect if it was only extended to at least 13! Thanks Gwynnyd

Any kid, any time, any frazzled parent chasing after them/finding them/tearing their hair out over their exploits. The kid should be young enough to NOT get into much trouble about it, I'd think between birth and 7 or 8 years (or the human equivalent). Ooooh! This sounds like too much fun!! Count me in...dang it! Vistula

Okay, let's extend it to 13 then. Does anyone want it older?

"Any kid, any time, any frazzled parent chasing after them/finding them/tearing their hair out over their exploits. The kid should be young enough to NOT get into much trouble about it, I'd think between birth and 7 or 8 years (or the human equivalent). " This could be a lot of fun to read. Since I have no knowledge or experience of young children, except for having been one back in the First Age, I probably won't write one. I just wanted to remind anyone writing youngsters in Gondor that the Steward's household (Faramir or Denethor or even Ecthelion) would almost certainly have nurses, governesses and tutors and other servants looking after the children, so that a father who is also a Steward probably wouldn't get stuck with baby-sitting duty. The same would hold true with King Elessar's household. That wouldn't mean that a father wouldn't ever interact with a young child or make time for him/her; that would depend on the nature of the father. Of course, a determined kid could escape from a nurse or tutor... I would love to see a story with little Faramir. For some reason, I imagine him as a strong-willed youngster with perhaps an instinct for some mischief, especially to get his father's attention...Comes from being very bright and bored easily. RAKSHA

I actually have one of these already, so go ahead and count me in. Ann

Seems like we've got a challenge here! It looks like Ann, Jacks, Vistula, Meril and Gwynnd are definitely in, and possibly Cheryl, Karri and CLF? Speak now or forever hold your peace! Raksha, you've made a good point - Jacks, would you like to extend this challenge to nurses, elder siblings or other care-takers? On age, I'd suggest leaving it as "teens" to make your challenge that wee bit more open. It might tempt more victims to take this up. My suggestion only though - it's entirely up to you. cheers, nrink

I'm definitely in. CLF

Can we request the posts in Prospective Challenges to NOT show up on the On Our Minds -page? Please? This in the interest of not exposing unsuspecting visitors to dangerous nuzgul... Oh wait... the whole purpose of nuzgul-flinging is to catch innocents unawares! I fear it's already to late for me, anyway, so I guess I'm in. *sigh* As if I hadn't collected plenty of nuzgul already... Jacks, it's a wonderful idea. And Raksha (I think it was), I don't have any children of my own either, or even in my inner circle, but like you, I have been one. I'm sure you, like me, have some incident from your childhood you can use (and speaking for myself, I still don't see why my parents got so upset -- I had everything under perfect control Not saying anymore now... Amanda.

It looks like Ann, Jacks, Vistula, Meril and Gwynnd are definitely in, and possibly Cheryl, Karri and CLF? Speak now or forever hold your peace! *grumbling about having too many nuzguls and not needing any more* Can I be a stong maybe? Cheryl

Oh wait... the whole purpose of nuzgul-flinging is to catch innocents unawares! How did you guess? Anyways, now we have Ann, Jacks, Vistula, Meril, Gwynnd, CLF and Amanda on the victim list! Jacks, let me know if you'd like to take up the suggestions in my earlier post or if you want to adjust the language of the challenge. Otherwise, you're all set... Give yourself a good pat on the back. cheers, nrink

I say three months is fine. Of course, given my nuzgul collection-story production ratio, I am treading dangerous waters... Cheers, Meril

Okay, reworded just a bit. Should the suggestions be posted again or no? And I'd say three months to write it. Most of the main Lord of the Rings characters are people of high position and we all know, as parents or from being little hoodlums ourselves, that kids. My younger brother, for example, had the habit of losing his clothing and running down the street naked. A difficult thing to explain if, say, you were the Steward of Gondor. Any kid, any time, any frazzled parent/older sibling/care-taker chasing after them/finding them/tearing their hair out over their exploits. The kid should be young enough to NOT get into much trouble about it, I'd think between birth and early teens (or the human equivalent).

Most of the main Lord of the Rings characters are people of high position and we all know, as parents or from being little hoodlums ourselves, that kids. Is it me, or is there something missing here? Amanda.

Very interesting nuzgul you have flung at me. Count me in! I simply cannot resist the urge to write about an embarrassing incident in the childhood of a certain Ernil i Pheriannath, and perhaps the reactions of important Lords when they hear about the incident. Beruthiel

*puzzled* No, you're right, Amanda: there is something missing in that sentence... My revision: Many of Tolkien's characters are people of high position, and are given great respect and honor. However, even Dunedain kings and elven princesses were children once upon a time... How were our favorite characters like as children? Were Elrond and Celebrian's twins really mischevious pranksters (as fanon often portrays them) and drove Glorfindel insane? Did Eowyn play under Theoden's council table with toy soldiers and riders? Did Legolas ever announce that he wanted nothing for mettare but a pet spider? How about the first age? Was Galadriel a child terror in Tirion? Did Luthien go through the terrible teens, and drive her divine mother crazy? How about Feanor and Nerdanel: how was life having a brood of seven sons? How were the cousins of the royal Noldorin family (Feanor's, Fingolfin's, and Finarfin's children) treated? Any kid, any time, any frazzled parent/older sibling/caretaker chasing after them/finding them/tearing their hair out over their exploits. The kid should be young enough to NOT get into much trouble about it: between birth and12 or 13 years (or the human equivalent). Oooh, this is a dangerous area for me... Cheers, Meril Edit: My bad. Between 12 and 13 years old, or human equivalent.

Great, Jacks. If it's fine with you, we're happy too. I'll just take off the stray "that kids" and it'll be up in a jiffy. Thanks to Amanda's eagle eye! Very tempting nuzgul by the way - it seems to have taken more prisoners overnight. Never venture here without your mithril shin-guards, people! Edit: Oops, I posted this message before I saw Meril's. Challenge isn't up yet. What say you, Jacks? ;-) cheers nrink

Never venture here without your mithril shin-guards, people! Yeah... the warning has come a little too late, I think. My full mithril bodysuit, custom designed, is being shipped as we type: courtesy of the Gwaith-i-Mirdain. However, I think that my money has gone to no avail... ~Nuzgul-plagued!Meril

Any kid, any time, any frazzled parent/older sibling/caretaker chasing after them/finding them/tearing their hair out over their exploits. The kid should be young enough to NOT get into much trouble about it: between birth and 9 or 10 years (or the human equivalent). Ok, which is it? 9 or 10 as in this version or 'early teens' as in the previous? I am so nuzguled at this point that if it has to be just to age 9 or 10, I will bow out - the bratty 12 - 13 year old kid story I have is about 2/3 written but on the back burner being crowded out by other stuff and I was hoping for a reason to finish it. Gwynnyd

Hi Gwynnyd, The age can be up to 13 years old. (We just oops on the wording.) So get a-finishing! Karri, unobtrusive Challenge-Assisant

Fine by me! :-)

Cool. Alrighty - the challenge is up and running. You'll find it here. Thanks everyone, and have a good time! cheers, nrink

the challenge is up and running. This is - what? - five challenges I've accepted... arrgh.... someone please invent a way to squeeze a few more hours in the day just for writing.... Gwynnyd

Gwynnyd, I really can't wait to see your take on this Starlight

Gywynnyd wrote: This is - what? - five challenges I've accepted... arrgh.... Five. Pah. That's nothing. I have eight placeholders.... Starlight wrote: I really can't wait to see your take on this And I really can't wait to see it finished, based on what I've seen so far. So the fact you have an incentive to do so has made me very happy. Cheers, Liz

Count me in!

I'd definitely love to take a stab at this. The Nuzgul are already starting to nibble at my feet.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges