Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: What if Lalaith hadn't died?

What if Lalaith hadn't died?

I'm a newbie, and this is one of the few times that I have ever participated in a discussion. This is just an idea that I have been thinking of for several months, and might even write a fic about. It seems like after the death of Lalaith, Turin's life began to go down hill, and never did really "reach the top" again. I've been wondering: how might things have been different for him if his little sister had still lived--at least for a little while longer. Okay, here's the challenge: Write a story from any point of view, in any narrative style, about the way Turin's life could have been if his sister had lived. You can even do it on anything, just as long as it includes glimpses of what could have been. Is anyone interested? If so, please reply and let me know! ~Rainsong

Re: What if Lalaith hadn't died?

Hi Rainsong glad to see you've found your way to the prospective challenges forum! I'm not one of the HASA Challenges Managers, but I am the HASA Welcome Manager, so it's one of my sacred duties to assist new members to fling nuzguls. Write a story from any point of view, in any narrative style, about the way Turin's life could have been if his sister had lived. That's certainly an interesting premise for a story. However, I think it's maybe a little narrow to attract enough people to become a fully fledged challenge, since it does restrict people to writing about Turin and a specific alternate universe scenario. However, I've put my thinking cap on and believe we could widen the challenge to encompass your idea while giving people the freedom to tackle other characters and AU scenarios. My proposal is: "Write about the impact on a character if an immediately family member - parent, sibling, spouse or child - hadn't died, or the character hadn't mistakenly thought they had died." That covers everything from Turin and Lalaith or Tuor and his mother Rian or Aragorn and his father Arathorn to Denethor with Boromir not dying or Denethor not believing Faramir was about to die or... LOTS of possibilities there. Rainsong, would you be willing to have your challenge idea widened in this way and see if we get five pledges? Cheers, Liz/Tanaqui HASA Welcome and Beta Manager

Hi Rainsong! Glad to see you de-lurk and join the fun That's a very interesting nuzgul, full of meaty possibilities, especially if it's opened up, like Tanaqui suggested, to allow a wider range of AU possibilites. Personally, the whole Boromir/Denethor/Faramir "to die or not to die" nuzgul is trying to attach itself to me. Great idea! We'll have to test our nuzgul flinging skills and see if we can snare another poor...er, that is priveledged soul! Cheryl HASA Welcome Assistant

That covers everything from Turin and Lalaith or Tuor and his mother Rian or Aragorn and his father Arathorn to Denethor with Boromir not dying or Denethor not believing Faramir was about to die or... Oh dear, I really didn't need to read that because I can think of all sorts of Elrond-related possibilities. I would, though, love to see how Aragorn (and his life) would have been different if his father had lived. As long as someone not me writes it Nic

Sure, that sounds really great! Would any one be interested in doing the challenge that Tanaqui mentioned?

I would, though, love to see how Aragorn (and his life) would have been different if his father had lived. As long as someone not me writes it Nic Ahh!! Get away from me with that nuzgul!! Cheryl *staring at the fanged beast coming towards her ankle...*

I'm not sure if I would be able to do this, but I'll adopt this Nazgul. It's been sinking its teeth into me for a long time . . .

Ahh!! Get away from me with that nuzgul!! Nic

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges