Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: A "six-legged" buddy fic

A "six-legged" buddy fic

Horses. To the Rohirrim, a horse is more than a companion, more than a servant, more than a tool, more than a symbol of status, more than a way of life. Inspired by the "Beer for my Horses" thread over in the Riders of Rohan discussion, this challenge aims to address that special bond between a Rider and his (or her) horse. In short, it's a six-legged buddy fic. Deadline [to be determined], any length, any genre, focusing on the relationship of a Rider to his or her faithful steed. We've had a couple nibbles (more like bites) over in the RoR thread. (And some entertaining firsthand tales of horses and beer.) Anyone else? Thoughts on the deadline? Three months seems traditional, which'd put this little beauty with a cutoff of about the end of June 2004. --DL7

Re: A

Hello, DL7. I'm glad I saw your post before I set up a thread for you. Glad to see you continuing this discussion here. Some questions for you to consider: * Are there any length limits? Of course, the piece will probably have to be a certain limit for it to address the relationship of the horse and the Rider, but do you want to put a specific ord limit (eithe rupper or lower bound) on the pieces? This can be fun, but not necessarily necessary. * Do both the horseand the rider have to come from Rohan? How would you feel, for example, about the relationship between Shadowfax and Gandalf or Arod and Gimli? Those are both Rohirric horses, but their riders aren't Rohirrim. (You could have a Rohir adapting to a non-Rohirric horse, as well. How about if Eomer's horse had died at Pelennor or the battle for the Black Gate? Would he maybe be given a Gondorian horse?) * How central does the horse's relationship to its owner have to be? Sure, it has to be dealt with in some depth. But I have an 80,000-word piece I'm finishing editing and rewrites on. As part of that, I look at the relationship forged by a Gondorian noblewoman living in Rohan (for more than a decade at this point) and a horse given to her by Eomer. I explore it pretty heavily, but only in about a third of the piece (like I said, it's eighty thousand words... ) At your service, Marta

Re: A

>I'm glad I saw your post before I set up a thread for you. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to wait for someone to set one up for me, so I figured I'd go for it. As far as the questions go: Mostly, I'm pretty open about it. As far as I'm concerned, length isn't important. I simply did a vignette, but I am tempted to expand that. I'd certainly love to see more depth on the topic. Even a sort of love-poem would be interesting. i'd like to see how people deal with these sorts of things on their own. The Rohirric-ness of the horse and rider is another point I'm flexible on. I think the others in the discussion were right to point out that it's not the same for those not Rohirrim-- I'm sure Elves have a particular relationship with their horses, and Roheryn's love for Aragorn is mentioned particularly at the Paths of the Dead. But among the Rohirrim, they are a horse-based people in a time when horses were omnipresent. Obviously being Rohirric is important. But as far as a non-Rohirric rider on a Rohirric horse... well, I suppose, if the fiction addresses the rider's understanding of Rohirric horses in particular, it could be argued for. I'd allow it. How central does it have to be to the story? I don't think it has to be the main thrust of the plot in a longer piece, no. I'd be interested in reading any piece that dealt substantially with it, even if it were only in a section of a larger one.

Re: A 'Six-Legged' Buddy Fic

But I have an 80,000-word piece I'm finishing editing and rewrites on. As part of that, I look at the relationship forged by a Gondorian noblewoman living in Rohan (for more than a decade at this point) and a horse given to her by Eomer. I should point out that I was only offering this as a hypothetical. I do not want to enter "Lady of Gondor," was just trying to get you to consider the question. As Tanaqui said (off-site),
Marta - STOP trying to foist LoG onto a challenge!!!
And she's exactly right. LoG doesn't belong here. At your service, Marta

[deleted by author -- sorry, didn't mean to post twice, guys. -Marta]

Marta - STOP trying to foist LoG onto a challenge!!!
Marta, perhaps we should create a special challenge just for you and LoG. But I do agree that LoG illustrates a good point in that if either the horse or the rider is Rohirric, the special nature of the Rohirrim's love for horses will inevitably be a part of the story. Legolas and Arod are a good example - and Gimli the antithesis (do you think he ever learned to appreciate horses as more than neccessary transportation?) BTW DL7, I am definitely in. Heaven help me. ~Nessime

Yay, that's two, now we just need to find the rest who were over on the Beer For my Horses thread. I still think that it doesn't *strictly* have to be a Rider of Rohan, as long as it's closely related. I was more prepossessed by the theme of the horse and the rider's relationship. When you live and die by the horse, that's got to make for some close companionships. I know other societies used horses heavily and even lived and died by them, but not as much as the Rohirrim, who are named for them. That's got to mean something. >gimli I think it would be amusing to write about him learning to appreciate the horse. But, non-canon, because he never had one of his own and so never really would have been that close to it.

Marta, perhaps we should create a special challenge just for you and LoG.
But perhaps not an altogether bad -- no! The general idea, I think, is that if I enter it into enough challenges I will eventually finish the blasted rewrites, which would be a very good thing for many reasons -- not the least of which would be, I'd finally get around to other nuzguls. But seriously, I was asking that as a general point. And no, I shan't be entering. Not even tempted. At your service, Marta

Yay, that's two, now we just need to find the rest who were over on the Beer For my Horses thread. Well, I committed to writing...errr..make that finishing, a story for this challenge over on the other thread, so let me make it official. I'm in! My short little story failed to defang this particular nuzgul, so I guess I"ll be adding to it. When is the deadline, anyway? Have we established one? Cheryl

Mmm... Deadline. I think July 31st was the deadline I thought of. Three months. Adequate?

That works for me Thanks!! Cheryl

So what happens now? How do we get this made into a challenge? I thought we had five people, or at least we did on the other thread. Shall I go hunt down all those people? What do I have to make them do now?

This is the first time I'd noticed this thread. This ought to be a terrific challenge, especially for those of us who use our horse's names as screen names.

I'd wondered if you'd be interested. Never crossed my mind to use my horse's name as a screen name... well, she was called Sugar. I can see how that might lead to certain misconceptions as to my personality.

LOL! Well, when I was a kid, we had a quarter horse broodmare who's registered name was "Leisure Lover" Talk about misconceptions about one's personality. Cheryl

I knew a horse named Suger. She was a psychotic little welsh pony-thoroughbred cross that often took off with me. My first horse was Angie and her registered name was Angel's Bars. I'd never use that for a screen name.

Horses often have bizarre registered names. So, Angel's Bars, how are you today? Naw, you're right. Just doesn't work. So... how do we make this a real challenge, I ask again?

I must admit, I have been a bad CM. I hadn't checked in on this challenge for a long time. It seems we have four: DL7 Nessime Cheryl Gypsum(?) Gypsum, I wasn't clear on you, actually. If I have my numbers right, let me know. If I've missed the fifth, definitely let me know. DL7, should you get your fifth, please email me offsite. If we're still at four (or even three) I have a few ideas of horse lovers that I might go and try to corale over this way. ;-) Marta

Definitely in.

Evil, thy name is Dwim, and thy side-kick is DL7. Yes, it is sad to say that these two hitherto upstanding ladies have forsooth stalked me to the sanctum of my very email and ... and seduced me, is the only word for it, with soft words and cuddly-looking baby Nuzgul. Yes, DL7 even smuggled one into my presence in a duffleback. Oh, the humanities! And OW, dangit, get this little buggeroffame! LOL, theatrics aside, dangit, all right! I'm in! So when's the deadline? A nice looooooooong one, I hope. Like ... July? : And are there any other particulars about this challenge that have been decided? I see previous discussion noted that the Rohirrim and their steeds were the obvious and popular subjects, but that if writers can come up with other horse/human buddies or horse/bipedal partnerships, this would be acceptable too, yes? Examples might be Aragorn/Roheryn, Gandalf/Shadowfax, Legolas/Arod for the not-necessarily-Rohirrim allowance. So. Now we need brainy people to frame this thing for presentation. Oh, Maaaaaaaarta! *ahem* Anyroad, I'm in! Ya got me. Now will someone please make Dwim and Dragonlady stop snickering and fetch me some bandaids? Cheers ~ Erin

Yes, it is sad to say that these two hitherto upstanding ladies have forsooth stalked me to the sanctum of my very email and ... and seduced me, is the only word for it, with soft words and cuddly-looking baby Nuzgul. We were good, weren't we? Well done, DL7! July 31, anyone? Is this enough time for those roped into this? DL7, is the wording in your first post satisfactory to you, or are there points you'd like to work on a little more? Let us know. If you'd like help with the articulation, either Marta or I are available. Now will someone please make Dwim and Dragonlady stop snickering and fetch me some bandaids? *offers bandaids*

July's fine for me. The wording above is fine by me. What else needs done? Here, have a band-aid. Welcome aboard. Sorry about the dufflebag. i wasn't going to open it all the way but he burst the zipper. He got hungry, man. You know how badly the Rohirric nuzgul need to be fed sometimes. We debated non-Rohirrim above; I think Aragorn and Roheryn is actually taking it in a slightly different direction but would be very interesting, because Roheryn, though not Rohirric, was a gift from Arwen, which would have to mean something, y'know? I could stand to see this made more general-- hey, A Boy And His Mumak would be a great name for a story-- but the Riders of Rohan with their unique relationships with their mounts are what initially struck me, so it seems to me that simply addressing that particular relationship is enough. Anyhow, it was debated above and probably more concisely and decisively. Yay! A challenge! I'm so psyched.

Greetings all ~ Me again. Actually, if the vote should be to restrict this to only Rohirrim horses, that would not trouble me. Being as I'm a fan of our big blond tough dudes, anyhow! The question remaining, would Rohirrim horses with non-Rohirrim riders be allowable? Such as Legolas and Arod or Gandalf and Shadowfax? No, I'm not planning anything in that direction; my muses are leaning strongly to Rohirrim only, four- and two-legged, so a purely Rohan challenge would be very okay with me, too. Uhh, right. I'm rambling. Anywho, whoever is in charge of creating the language of this challenge, have at it! I'm still in, whatever you all decide. Now I'm just anxious to see it announced! Whee! Cheers ~ Erin

When I see the link to prospective challenges I really should pretend it's not there. *sigh* I've had a nuzgul on for Legolas attempting to return Arod to Eomer - as he was only on loan according to the book. Only, Arod doesn't wish to be returned. LOL Count me in... ~Lady Aranel~

I've had a nuzgul on for Legolas attempting to return Arod to Eomer - as he was only on loan according to the book. Only, Arod doesn't wish to be returned. LOL
Intriguing. Is it going to be from Arod's POV? ~Nessime

Intriguing. Is it going to be from Arod's POV? I hadn't quite thought of putting that perspective on it, but you never know..... I had thought about Legolas POV (shut up, Liz! LOL) and him trying to do the honorable thing and return Arod and how embarrassing it would be for both Legolas and Eomer for Arod to keep turning up around Legolas and refusing to be led away and such. But Arod's POV might be interesting. Definitely different and I have a hard time resisting different! ~Lady Aranel~

When I see the link to prospective challenges I really should pretend it's not there. Now, now, what sort of attitude is that? The proper response is, "When I see the link to prospective challenges, I will drag some other sucker in so as not to be alone at the blood donation bank." Now I would love to see "The Return of Arod". It sounds like it would be hysterical.

Ha! By getting five, we got a sixth. Triumph. I'm posting this and emailing it to you, Marta, just to cover all bases. Feel free to adjust wording where necessary. Is this clear enough? To the Rohirrim, a horse is more than a companion, more than a servant, more than a tool, more than a symbol of status, and more than a way of life. Inspired by the "Beer for my Horses" thread, this challenge aims to address that special bond between a Rider and his (or her) horse. In short, a six-legged buddy fic. Any length is acceptable, any genre, but at least the horse should be Rohirric. You Mumak-fanciers can start your own challenge. This challenge should focus on the relationship of a rider to his or her faithful steed. The deadline is August 31st, because of a plea for a longer deadline.

"When I see the link to prospective challenges, I will drag some other sucker in so as not to be alone at the blood donation bank." I've seen a couple of horse-eye-view fics that have been pretty entertaining. I think either POV would be really amusing. How long would it really take before Eomer said "oh for heaven's sake just keep him!" It would be amusing to see. (I wonder-- did the horses really belong to Eomer? He mentions Hasufel's late master, but doesn't specify that the horse was his. I suppose since the eored is made up of men of his household, the horses belong to his household as well. Aw crap, now I'm all full of ideas about Rohirric property law. Dammit!!!)

I suppose since the eored is made up of men of his household, the horses belong to his household as well.
I'm not so sure about that. IIRC in UT it mentions that in his younger days Erkenbrand had served in the king's household. *pause while Ness goes digging through texts...* Okay, here's the quote from UT: The Battles of the Fords of Isen (Appendix I):
He had in youth been, as most lords, an officer in the King's Riders, but he was so no longer.
So it's not clear if this is the same as Háma having been the Captain of the King's Household (which I take to mean that he is the captain of the king's éored). Anyway, my understanding has always been that a knight (in Rohirric terms this would be the Riders - Théoden calls them the knights of his household when speaking to Aragorn at Helm's Deep, and they are also referred to as his knights at the Battle of the Pelennor) needed to be able to provide his own arms and mount. Though it's not specified, I have always taken the term "master" to mean that Hasufel belonged to Gárulf. Arod's master is not named, but I would think likewise with him. As Marshal, I think it is within Éomer's right to lend the horses to Aragorn and Legolas - it's an oft observed expediency of war, commandeering private property for military use. But I don't think it is quite so high-handed in this case; rather it shows the level of trust and faith Aragorn engenders. Sorry if this is a bit disjointed; that's what happens when I think "aloud". ~Nessime

Ha! By getting five, we got a sixth. Triumph. I'm posting this and emailing it to you, Marta, just to cover all bases. Feel free to adjust wording where necessary. Is this clear enough? Excellent-- and thanks for emailing me, as I now have all your HTML markup and don't have to go back and head it myself. There were two places where you had two spaces instead of one; I'm deleting the extra. And I'm also not going to include the line about the deadline as part of the actual prompt, as that information's given somewhere else in the form. But besides that, we're good to go. I'll get this up promptly and let you horse-lovers know when the challenge is set up.

The challenge is up. Feel free to write your stories and enter them in the challenge. It closes on August 31. I've also set up a new shiny "Challenges:Story Discussions" thread. Please continue discussions of this challenge, your pieces in it, horses in general, or anything else related to the "Six-legged Race" Challenge. Good luck -- and thanks, DL7, for this challenge. It's a very good idea. Marta

Cool. excellent. Awesome. Oh, I'd just titled the email "six-legged race" to be silly. I didn't actually intend to call the Challenge that. There's no racing in it. Oh well.

I rather like it - after my initial surprise. It's almost as though saying that the Rohirrim and their horses are like one race of people. What do the rest of you think? ~Nessime

What do the rest of you think? That was actually what I thought it meant when I first read it. ~Lady Aranel~

Oh, I'd just titled the email "six-legged race" to be silly. I didn't actually intend to call the Challenge that. There's no racing in it. Mea culpa. What would you like to call it? I can change it, but would like to do so pronto. Marta

I suppose it's not so bad. I'd been calling it "Six-Legged Buddy Fic" but I suppose the current title isn't so far off. The others seem to be finding double meanings in it all over the place. You don't have to change it if you'd rather not.

Now, me, I'm weird. When I read "Six-legged race" as opposed to six-legged buddy, I immediately thought of that kids' game the 'three-legged race.' You know, where a pair of kids each tie one of their legs to the other's, and then they race other pairs handicapped the same way - by having effectively only 3 legs to run on! Sorry. As you were. ~ Erin

I wrote that title in the email to Marta, jokingly making a play on the three-legged race thing-- so to me, it's the others who are the freaks. Weird is in the eye of the beholder.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges