Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Tag-team Challenge

Tag-team Challenge

I too am a newbie daring to step out of my shell and propose a Challenge: Partnerships. The world just doesn’t work without them. For this challenge, participants would invite another writer to work with them. It could be someone whose work you’ve admired for a long time, or someone you’ve swapped ideas with, but it should be someone you’ve never written with before. If one person is more for ideas, and the other has the technical writing skills, that’s fine, but each participant should contribute at least some of the final text. The theme would be partnerships, preferably between two characters who may or may not be or become friends. The fic should involve the two characters working together for the first time on a specific task, and not necessarily successfully. Like the newly-paired authors, this should be a newly-formed partnership, although the characters may or may not have been acquainted with each other in the past. For example, Gil-galad and Elendil at the Last Alliance probably would not be a good choice as their long friendship is a matter of canonical fact, but Gil-galad and Oropher would probably be a good choice. Other good choices might be Aragorn and Faramir having to solve their first problem together, or the rescue of Túrin by Beleg and Gwindor, or the meeting of Beren and Finrod. Or one could use an OC in a canonically plausible scenario, such as Pippin and an original Guard of the Citadel working together on some aspect of the City’s defense, or Balin and an original Dwarf character trying to reestablish the colony of Moria. There’s such a great variety of scenarios and characters the authoring pair could choose for this theme, it would be interesting to see what people come up with. Maybe each author would choose to write for one character, or the whole thing could be a collaboration. Any length, any genre. I know this would pose a posting challenge and I’m not sure how you would handle a unique co-authorship, but Marta has conquered other posting challenges before! If anyone is interested in taking on a tag-team challenge, it would be great to get a discussion going about the possibilities. If not, I may try to entice someone into working with me on this nuzgûl as an experiment anyway. Cheers! ~TA

Re: Tag-team Challenge

Tenshi- You are evil. Evil. Tempting nice Martas with tempting nuzguls... Seriously, I talked to Tanaqui and she and I are both interested and doing something. And since we're speaking of Tanaqui and I, that something will more than likely involve Faramir. We have a few ideas. As to the posting problem -- I think that Isabeau and Una wrote a piece together? About Faramir and Eomer drinking together in Edoras? If I recall correctly, it was published under one of their names acknowledging that it had been written by both. But I could be completely wrong on that note. If we get five volunteers then I will speak with Dwim and we will work out how best to handle it. Cheers, Marta

Woo-hoo! My nuzgûl has nibbled its first victim! *grins, doesn't mind being called evil at all* I've someone in mind I'm hoping to tempt into working with me on this. Being the Gil-galad fan that she is, we might write on he and Oropher at the Last Alliance. But she also has a shiny new Celebrimbor muse who needs to be taken out and exercised, so I think that Cel and Narvi and the building of the West Gate of Moria might also be fun! Can't wait to see if anyone else gets interested! Thanks! ~Tenshi

You rang? ;) Since it seems you will not be happy until I have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am USELESS, I will take up the gauntlet, and do my worst ;) Unless, of course, you were speaking to all the other Ereinion-o-philes you know with shiny new ( Put the garage door opener DOWN!!!) Brims

I think that Isabeau and Una wrote a piece together? About Faramir and Eomer drinking together in Edoras? If I recall correctly, it was published under one of their names acknowledging that it had been written by both. We've written two pieces together: Horses and Verses (Faramir and Eomer) is posted under my name, and Aftermath (Faramir and Imrahil) under Isabeau's. Both authors credited in the summaries.

Excellent. Thanks for clarifying that; my mind has tried to comprehend too much Tolkien today and was going fuzzy on me. Since you've already written a piece together, surely third time's the charm? Wouldn't you two be interested in writing this challenge? :blinks eyes innocently: What if I said I liked "Horses and Verses" muchly? Because I did. Cheers, Marta

This sounds like a wonderful idea, TA! I'd love to play. I'm a raised hand here Cheers, Starlight

I would be interested in this if I find a partner. I feel my weakness is plot, and my strength is dialogue/characterization (I didn't say I'm good at it, mind.) Aragorn, non-feanorian elves, Glorfindel (always!) politics, culture, or something completely new to me are all possibilities. Lyllyn

What kind of time frame? Length limits? This sounds like a great challenge. Plots, politics, dialogue, and bizarre OCs are all favorites of mine. Ang

Starlight, do you have a partner? If not perhaps you'd like to team up with Lyllyn? Does anything Aragorn sound good to you? Here's an idea. Why don't you and Lyllyn write Aragorn and Faramir (or some other Gondorian) dealing with a group of people who are less than thrilled to have Faragorn as king. It could also meet the "With One Voice" challenge. Cheers, Marta

The final word's of course up to TA, but I don't think either of those things have been decided. I for one would not say no to an embarrassingly distant deadline, and as for length limits, I don't see why there should be any of those either. Of course, my attitude to no length limits could explain why I wouldn't say no to a distant deadline. ;-) Do you have any ideas for a partner, Ang? Cheers, Marta

Una As an added incentive to get you and Isabeau to write something, you should know that the piece Marta and I are considering is the scene you wanted to see in which Eomer first confronts Faramir about his betrothal to Eowyn. So if the challenge gets going, it will move it up my schedule by ooh, at least a couple of years You know, I think it would be really great to see you and Isabeau write either Denethor with Imrahil (when Imrahil first becomes Prince of Dol Amroth), or Faramir (when Faramir first becomes Prince of Ithilien) with Imrahil.... But if you don't want to play, the challenge might not happen - and Marta and I have far too many other nuzgul to deal with to get around to this any time soon without the challenge to push us into it. Cheers, Liz

*shy newbie pokes head out of shell, is astonished to discover an entire discussion has sprung up.* Wow. I'm glad there's some interest in this idea! I hadn't really thought about length limits. It would probably have to be longer than, say, a drabble to give each author a chance to stretch her legs, but the length of the piece would probably only be limited by the time. While I'd love to see something epic spring from an unexpected partnership between two legendary authors (oh, please!), it would also be nice to see the resulting fics sooner rather than later. As Bow and I are throwing our collective hat into the ring together, I'm of the opinion that a few months is probably the closest deadline I personally could deal with. I'm hoping our collaborative effort will result in at least a short story. But if someone else sees epic potential here, please, by all means, embarassingly distant it should be! I've never written for a deadline before, so as the inexperienced newbie here, I humbly defer to Marta to decide on something both suitable and customary. Cheers! ~Tenshi

*tenatively pokes head out and raises hand* Cool idea! This could be fun, I'd be interested if there is someone interested in a writing partner. TA, Pre-Ring War, Ring War, Post-Ring War I'm comforable with both Men and Elves. I've written a few tag team stories before (we called them colabs or collaborations) and had a lot of fun doing them. Cheryl

Liz wrote: You know, I think it would be really great to see you and Isabeau write either Denethor with Imrahil (when Imrahil first becomes Prince of Dol Amroth), or Faramir (when Faramir first becomes Prince of Ithilien) with Imrahil.... Faramir and Imrahil we've done already (Aftermath); Imrahil and Denethor is, I suspect, almost certainly the one we'd do next. But if you don't want to play, the challenge might not happen More a question of lack of time rather than lack of inclination at the moment, I'm afraid

Do you have any ideas for a partner, Ang? Nope, but didn't TA say it should be someone you haven't worked with before? Here's my offer - I'll work with anyone who has not yet had a story accepted to the archive. Beta & General postings OK. My big restriction is going to be time, so a long time frame is a good thing. Oops - boss is calling, gotta run (pesky work!) Ang

How lucky, Ang. Just a few posts up Cheryl said she'd love to work with someone. Cheryl, I know you're new to HASA, aren't you? I don't think you've had anything accepted into Public. And she likes Men. Ang, you like Denethor. It's a match made in heaven (or Aman, rather). Cheers, Marta

Cheryl, I know you're new to HASA, aren't you? I don't think you've had anything accepted into Public. I have several WIPs and one that is about ready for submission...does that count, Ang? I'm game if you are. No worries if you're not. Cheryl

I'd be interested in participating. I like esoteric corners of canon, OC's, and Rohan. I've mostly written Men, but would enjoy tackling hobbits and elves, too. I'm most familiar with Third Age - it's been a long time since I read the Silm, but could work with someone who had a thorough knowledge of it. This sounds like it could be a great way of getting to know other HA writers, which I've been thinking I'd really like to do. Elana

I'm interested in taking part. It sounds a really fun idea and an way of learing more about writing. Most of what I've written so far has been 3rd age and set in Gondor and the Eastern parts of ME. However, I'm very happy to try other places/times. Nerwen

Me interested too! This sounds like fun. I have already contacted someone I'd be interested in taking up this challenge with, so let's wait and see what she says. I would also need a lengthy deadline, though... Amanda.

Nerwen and Elana- Would you two be interested in working together? I for one would love to see a piece about connections between Rohan and Gondor in the pre-Ring War days. Perhaps Boromir and Eomer (or Theodred, perhaps) meet for the first time when Boromir comes to Edoras and is given a horse. What exactly happened then? Did he, perhaps, help one of the cousins deal with an issue involving Wormtongue? Just an idea. I'll leave it to you two to decide on the exact idea. But if you two are interested, I believe we have five: * Myself and Tanaqui * Tenshi and Brims * Starlight and Lyllyn (perhaps) * Ang and Cheryl (perhaps) Starlight and Lyllyn, Ang and Cheryl, please let me know if you're agreeable to these pairings. Deadlines Challenges generally run for three months, but that's with only one person writing. Writing in pairs will undoubtedly take longer. Is six months long enough for you guys? If anyone needs longer than that, just say so. Cheers, Marta

This sounds like fun. I have already contacted someone I'd be interested in taking up this challenge with, so let's wait and see what she says Glad to hear it, Amanda. Let us know how that works out. Do you have any ideas for a plot yet? I would also need a lengthy deadline, though... I suggested six months just a few minutes ago. The exact date would depend on when the challenge gets officially set up, but six months would put it around the end of October, if I've done my mental math right. Would that work for you and your partner? Cheers, Marta

Nerwen and Elana- Would you two be interested in working together? Fine by me. Elana? I for one would love to see a piece about connections between Rohan and Gondor in the pre-Ring War days. Perhaps Boromir and Eomer (or Theodred, perhaps) meet for the first time when Boromir comes to Edoras and is given a horse. What exactly happened then? Did he, perhaps, help one of the cousins deal with an issue involving Wormtongue? Just an idea. Interesting. I've heard different views on how well any of them could know each other ... lots to think about. Would mean that I was writing canon characters for once! [grins] Well, I said I was prepared to try new things. Waits to see what Elana thinks. Nerwen

Cheryl & I are talking to see if there's something we're both interested in writing. Time pending, I'm also not opposed to working with more than one person if the proposed partnership is intruguing and the story relatively short. Established HASA writers, step up to this challenge! HASA has had a wave of new members in the last few months. Take the opportunity to work with one of these fine folk. Make a new friend, get a new perspective, and break out of your usual clique. Dare ya.... Toodles - Ang

This whole thing sounds intriguing and I would really like to participate. The few (and mostly unfinished) things I have written deal with Aragorn and the northern Dúnedain. As I've still quite a pile of RL- and other commitments to work through I would love to be teamed up with someone who does not mind me having a slow start. fliewatuet Edit: Now that I think about possible plot ideas: first meeting of Aragorn and Halbarad or Aragorn and Gandalf come to mind (I have a rough scetch of the latter lurking on my harddrive but not yet had the time to further deal with it).

My betas may very well kill me for this, but... I would be more than willing to write a second story. I'm already writing one with Liz, but would enjoy writing something Shire-based. I'm open to ideas, though, as I love to experiment with new races. And this summer I'll actually have some spare time (I'm a full-time student). I was planning on trying to make a dent in my own personal list of nuzguls, but they're not going anywhere, and this sounds fun. So I'll extend an invitation similar to Ang's. I would love to work with a newer member. If you're eligible for the New Members Challenge and are willing to write about something not involving Gondor and Rohan, let me know. (FYI: You are eligible for the New Members Challenge -- and hence to work with me -- if you have been a member of HASA for less than four months or if you've written three stories or less.) Cheers, Marta

I think it's a great idea for the more established writers to team up with us "newbies" I don't presume to speak for all newbies, but I know that I appreciate any opportunity to get to know people in the community better and besides forums, tag team stories are a great way to do that. The long list of great writers and members is pretty intimidating when you're new. Ang, email reply with ideas on the way. Cheryl

My betas may very well kill me for this, but... Marta, if this is going to reduce the constant flow of pieces to us, I will be encouraging you all the way

I have already contacted someone I'd be interested in taking up this challenge with, so let's wait and see what she says Glad to hear it, Amanda. Let us know how that works out. It worked out great (Although she did call me "evil" for inflicting this upon her...)But you can now add Kristen (Jedishampoo) and myself to the list of partnerships taking on this challenge. Do you have any ideas for a plot yet? Not quite. Although Kristen did fling some interesting pairings my way to mull upon already. Basically, my thoughts didn't extend beyond "This sounds like fun" and "Let's find a partner". I suggested six months just a few minutes ago. Six months should be workable Amanda.

Nerwen, I'm game. The idea Marta suggested sounds interesting, but I think I'd probably rather venture farther afield from what I've been doing so far. I've been having fun thinking of possible partnerships. Here are a few I've come up with: Curunir and Olorin, when they first come to Middle-Earth Gollum and Shelob, when they first meet Gandalf and Galadriel, and the forming of the White Council Gilraen and Elrond, when she comes to Rivendell after Arathorn's death Any one of a number of young people growing up, first taking a position of partnership with their elders: Sam and the Gaffer, Theodred and Theoden, Bormir or Faramir and Denethor. Eomer and Treebeard, after the war This is a fun idea. Nerwen, do you want to go to e-mail to discuss stuff? My e-mail is in my profile. Elana

The idea Marta suggested sounds interesting, but I think I'd probably rather venture farther afield from what I've been doing so far. I've been having fun thinking of possible partnerships. Here are a few I've come up with: Elana, I am fine with you rejecting my idea for ones like yours. I am looking forward to reading any one of them. Cheers, Marta

Hi Elana This is a fun idea. Nerwen, do you want to go to e-mail to discuss stuff? My e-mail is in my profile. Have done so. Whole thing sounds very fun. Nerwen

*raises hand* I do hope newbies are allowed to post offers here too Anyway, I'm only a semi-newbie to Tolkien fanfiction (one story in Public HASA), not to writing. Would anyone be interested in writing something set before the Third Age for this challenge? My specialty are elves of any kind, but I'd be more than willing to try my hand at men or dwarves. Including Easterlings, Avari and whatever else you might wish for.

fliewatuet - Would you be interested in co-writing one with me? I'm also a huge fan of the Northern Rangers; they're one of my favorite groups to explore. I have no problem with a slow start; RL is a pain, isn't it? It's calling me right now. Partially because of that, I haven't written anything that I think is worthy of being posted on HASA, even to be beta'ed. I've only been writing for about a year, too. If you don't want to be paired with a newbie, or if you've already found a partener, that's no problem. ~Wolfwind

Would you be interested in co-writing one with me? I'm also a huge fan of the Northern Rangers; they're one of my favorite groups to explore. I have no problem with a slow start; RL is a pain, isn't it? It's calling me right now. Partially because of that, I haven't written anything that I think is worthy of being posted on HASA, even to be beta'ed. I've only been writing for about a year, too. If you don't want to be paired with a newbie, or if you've already found a partener, that's no problem. ~Wolfwind Oh, I'd love to give it a try. I still consider myself kind of a newbie, at least as far as the writing experience goes (though I am a member hear for close to 1 1/2 years, I could still participate in the Newbie Challenge for lack of stories ...). BTW, English is not my first language, so I am a bit slow when it comes to writing and not always that sure where grammar and appropriate choice of words is concerned. But if you'd bear with me (and would be willing to give me the occasional virtual kick to get going) I would be happy to give it a try. fliewatuet

Re: And then there were five -- Tag-team Challenge

I mentioned at HA that I wanted to work with a new member. Lothloriel (a new member) replied back. We exchanged e-mails and now have a story idea: Bilbo and Lindir obtain a birthday present for Aragorn. Post-Birthday party, pre-Council of Elrond. It shouldn't surprise you, but that makes five who have actually said "I'm definitely doing this." Those five are: 1. Tenshi Androgynous and Brims 2. Marta and Tanaqui 3. Elana and Nerwen 4. AmandaK and Kristen (JediShampoo) 5. Lothloriel and Marta So that makes five. Ergo, the challenge is a go. :-D Tenshi, if you'll write up a more formal summary and e-mail me offsite (MartaL0712@netscape.net) or just post it in this forum, I will set up the challenge. If anyone will need longer than the six month proposed deadline, please let me know. Cheers, Marta PS- Thank you, Tenshi, for proposing this. I get to write Bilbo. *grins* Edit, 5.43 PM, 24.04.04: Wolfwind and Fliewautet have also affirmed that they will join the challenge.

Great! Then add fliewatuet and I to that list. I'll e-mail you, fliewatuet, and we'll get started!

And "The Tagteam Challenge" is up. Feel free to continue discussing it in the Challenges:Story Discussions forum. I have also created a private forum, "The Tagteam Challenge -- Working in Pairs. Feel free to discuss the process of writing a story with another author here. Anyone participating in this challenge is invited to participate in this forum and will be given full access by e-mailing me. Happy writing, and good luck. Cheers, Marta

Cheryl & I are in, Marta. Check your anchor tag in your last message - looks like it didn't get closed properly. Toodles - Ang

Cheryl & I are in, Marta. Excellent. I've already added Cheryl to the private forum. Should I do the same for you? Check your anchor tag in your last message - looks like it didn't get closed properly. It didn't but is now fixed. Thanks for the heads-up. Cheers, Marta

It has come to my attention that some people may not know how to find closed forums, since they don't show up on most of the ordinary list. If that's the case for you, here's how to find "Tag Team Challenge, The -- Working Together": 1. Go to the Challenges homepage by clicking on "Sections" at the top of this page, then on Challenges. 2. Click on "Challenges Forums" link in the left column. 4. Scroll down to "Tag Team Challenge, The -- Working Together" Click on the title of the forum, and you're there. Cheers, Marta

Beth and I have teamed up as well, can you please add us to the forum?

Done -- and I'm glad to hear you two are writing together. Cheers, Marta

I'm interested in this challenge if anyone would like to write with me. I like Elves and Men best.

Starlight and I are in - please add us to the forum as well. Lyllyn

*groan* I should've stayed away from the Forums... I've already entered one challenge today. I'd like to join in. I'd love to work with a new or newish member. Rohan, Sam, Rivendell, Aragorn (esp. pre-Quest), and Arwen are a few of my favourite things. If anyone out there is interested, email me! [Profile address is good] I do have some fairly heavy RL and fandom commitments at the moment, so I'd need a partner who could wait a little while to start writing together (though I've got time for brainstorming right now).

This is a wonderful idea and I would love to take part. I've been hoping to find a way to develop some working relationships here. I'm open to just about any culture/era/characters, and as for the partnership angle here are a few that intrigue me (but I'm open to any others as well): - Elrond and Glorfindel (when Glorfindel returned to Middle Earth, how did he end up living in Rivendell?) - Arwen and Eowyn (hey, who knows what kind of mischief they might have gotten into in Minas Tirith?) - Luthien and Huan - Gandalf and Pippin (now there's a duo with story potential) - Galadriel and Melian. Or Galadriel and... well, whichever Durin was ruling Moria when she had dealings with that community But, like I said, I'm not committed to any of those and I'm completely open to other possibilities. Plus, a great partnership for me would be someone whose muse isn't quite as sluggish as mine - you know, someone who can actually develop a plot!

I can't quite believe I've managed to resist this for two days and now I've got hooked. I would actually love to write about Aragorn and Faramir - the two of them working together could be quite interesting. I'd probably need someone with a better handle on Faramir than me though. Nic

Lanthiriel- I emailed you offsite, but should probably repeat it here. I am willing to work with you, if you like. I am most intrigued by Pippin and Gandalf. But only if I get Pippin. ;-) Seriously, I love the little man. He's what moved my current piece from 3,000 words of slapstick to 20,000 words (and counting) of humour and drama combined. But I'm also open to suggestions. Perhaps Legolas and Gimli? That could be fun as well. Nic- I have an idea for a potential partner. I'm emailing this member and will get back with you offsite. Everyone else- Did I miss anyone? If you don't have a partner and want one, post again, please. Include any preferences you have (races/characters, new member or old) and any time constraints ("I wanted to write this yesterday" vs. "I'm busy now, we'll have to start slow.") At your service, Marta

Liz wrote: You know, I think it would be really great to see you and Isabeau write either Denethor with Imrahil (when Imrahil first becomes Prince of Dol Amroth), or Faramir (when Faramir first becomes Prince of Ithilien) with Imrahil.... We've talked about doing Imrahil and Denethor, though not necessarily in the partnership context. But as Ang pointed out, the challenge specifies someone you haven't written with before. So no Altariel/Isabeau goodies. More a question of lack of time rather than lack of inclination at the moment, I'm afraid Same here--never got the pirate fic done, and I'm still working on the brothel fic. Need to finish at least a couple of these WIPs before I sign on for anything else. But it is a nifty challenge.

Marta, can you add me to the list. I'm partering with Ajali, who I finally pursuaded to join the site (but she's avoiding it until the summer 'cause she's afraid that she'll get hooked). We won't actually write anything yet, as we have exams until the end of June. We're probably going to write Elrond and Gilraen naming Estel, it's already nibbling me. If anyone else wants to write with me I'm still interested, I've been a member for about 18 months, but I haven't done much writing and I like Elves and Men.
Same here--never got the pirate fic done, and I'm still working on the brothel fic.
Is that the one with Imri at the beginning of Ultimatums? I'd love to see that. I'm enjoying Kinstrife as well.

Marta, can you add me to the list. I'm partering with Ajali Wonderful. Drop me a line off-site when Ajali joins, and I'll add her to the forum as well. We're probably going to write Elrond and Gilraen naming Estel, it's already nibbling me. Oh, that sounds interesting! Looking forward to it. Cheers, Marta

Forodwaith and I are in.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges