Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: The Avari

The Avari

Hello to everyone who might happen to read this! I am currently a member of the somewhat timid species popularly known as the "newbies". With this step I hope to overcome my inherent shyness and perhaps even interest someone in responding to my challenge. There are many stories about different kinds of Elves - Noldor, Sindar, Nandor, Vanyar, Teleri etc. All of these Elves are Eldar, those who once embarked on the Great Journey, regardless if they came to Aman or not. What of those Elves who refused the summons of the Valar from the start? What of the Avari? My challenge is that you should write a story or a piece of poetry concerning the Avari. Why did they refuse summons? Did they later regret? What were their thoughts and feelings regarding those who left Cuivienen? What was their culture like? Were they only scattered tribes or did they evolve their own sophisticated culture? And so on and so forth. Pick whatever subject matter you wish as long as it's about the Avari. I do hope that I will set a nuzgul loose on someone with this since I have yet to come across a well-written story focusing on the Avari.

Re: Those who refused summons

My challenge is that you should write a story or a piece of poetry concerning the Avari. Why did they refuse summons? Did they later regret? What were their thoughts and feelings regarding those who left Cuivienen? What was their culture like? Were they only scattered tribes or did they evolve their own sophisticated culture? And so on and so forth. Malka, first, welcome to HASA and my apologies for not answering your post for a few days. I'm Marta, one of the two intrepid Challenge Managers around here. (I'll let you discover the other one on your own... more fun that way.) To get a challenge started, we need five people to agree to write it. If you think you'd like to try this, that's one, so we only need four others. I'll announce this over at HA (the Yahoo group) and see if we can perhaps get four others interested. Or five, if you din't want to write this personally. Can you think of some specific events from canon that might inspire people? Cheers, Marta

I'd be willing to write this one. I've an ongoing (still unfinished and unpublished) story about an Avari character, and while the main plotline concentrates on her fate once she comes into Beleriand, she came into my head with her own background and wealth of supporting characters I'd never get to use in the main story. What I'd have in mind would be vignette-length (1000 words or less), possibly a mini-series detailing various facets of Avarin culture, society and beliefs.

What a coincidence! I just had a nuzgul attack me and try to convince me me to write an Avari story a week ago. I was trying to put it off, but if there's going to be a challenge... This sounds like fun. Do you have any suggestions on length, and have you decided on a deadline? ~Wolfwind

Malka- Would you be willing to open this up to stories (not just poems) dealing with the Avari? If so I think this might have a better chance of getting the necessary people to write it. If you're writing it, we have three interested. Half way there. Cheers, Marta Edit, 5.28 PM, 24.04.04: It has been pointed out to me that I am a numbskull and that Malka does mention both stories and poems in her original post. Don't mind me, guys. And sorry for the confusion. ;-)

This fits right in with my "Dark Elf Chronicles" series/WIP/whatever. I already have a story going that will fit so I will join if the other four show up. Dean Maia of Este

Great, Dean. We only need one more. Does anyone know of anyone who would write this or be interested in it? Cheers, Marta

Well, this has gone to the nuzgul hutch. I hope it will turn out to be a nasty ankle-biter.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges