Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: New Members II

New Members II

The old New Members challenge is going to expire soon enough, so we'd like to get suggestions as to new prompts.

We are looking for:

1) 3 prompts per major work ("The Hobbit", LOTR, Silm/HoME)

2) Something that can be done in around ten pages at most, and perhaps two pages minimum. (Ideally. This can be hard to estimate.)

New members are certainly welcome to pitch nuzgûl for this one (they are always welcome to pitch nuzgûl at us), and just to recap what is meant by "new member":

1) You've been a member for four or fewer months;
2) You've been here longer than that but have never written a story for this fandom.

Ideas? Put 'em here.

Re: New Members II

I'd love to see this challenge repeated. I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here are a few ideas:

Silm:
-Thoughts of a Sindar when first encountering a Noldorin Elf born in
Valinor
-Parting words between Finarfin and any of his sons/daughter
-Fireside tales of the 1st age Elves/Men
-Earendil doing mischief in Gondolin
-First meeting of Celeborn and Galadriel

LotR:
-A Hobbit boating in the Brandywine (this should be hilarious)
-Bilbo's journey after bidding farewell to Gandalf at Bag End
-Something about the Rangers that usually go by The Prancing Pony.
(Can't think of a proper prompt here, but would be fun to write)
-Eomer/Eowyn receives his/her first horse
-What do the Rangers of Ithilien make of Frodo, Sam and Gollum?

After reading through those, I realize they sound a little more like Quickies, but were all I could think of right now. I'll keep thinking, though, and I'm sure the rest of the members will come up with great ideas for this. Perhaps a query at HA would be helpful?

Starlight

Dwim, were you not planning on using the HA thread about scenes people would like to see which Tolkien didn't write to identify some prompts for this challenge? (Since one of the answers has already set a nugul on me!)

Dwim, were you not planning on using the HA thread about scenes people would like to see which Tolkien didn't write to identify some prompts for this challenge? (Since one of the answers has already set a nugul on me!)

Oh, we have plans...

Some may, actually, be good to use in this challenge; others are destined for other projects.

And sheesh, I so need to have a sock-puppet on that list so I can do my nefarious duties without immediately raising people's suspicions! ;-)

And sheesh, I so need to have a sock-puppet on that list so I can do my nefarious duties without immediately raising people's suspicions! ;-)

Well, you did manage to get a few vic... I mean responses

Starlight suggested:
Eomer/Eowyn receives his/her first horse

Well, I kind of hope this becomes a challenge, because...well...err..I wrote something for that this afternoon. What can I say? That particular nuzgul attached itself in such a way that I couldn't get up from my computer desk until I had satisfied it.

Cheryl

What, isn't that my job? (Though I do find it interesting that you ask for plot ideas and you get accused of pawning off nuzguls. I ask for favourite characters, which could easily be used to tailor nuzguls, and get no such response, but instead many people eagerly describing their favourites.)

Right, challenge suggestion. Lord of the Rings. Lothlorien. Specifically, what were the Fellowship members offered by Galadriel? In their own words:

Sam - "She seemed to be looking inside me and asking me what I would do if she gave me the chance of flying back home to the Shire to a nice little hole with -- with a bit of garden of my own."

Merry - "Almost exactly what I felt myself; only, only well, I don't think I'll say any more." [apparently offered something similar to Sam, but wouldn't offer what, exactly]

Gimli - "And it seemed to me, too," said Gimli, "that my choice would remain secret and known only to myself." [but no indication on what he had been offered]

Boromir - "Maybe it was only a test, and she thought to read our thoughts for her own good purpose; but almost I should have said that she was tempting us, and offering what she pretended to have the power to give. It need not be said that I refused to listen." [He considered it a test, it was something that Galadriel could conceivably have the power to offer, but no specifics as to what exactly he was offered]

Frodo - admits to being tempted but refuses to share Galadriel's temptation

Neither Aragorn, Legolas, or Pippin comment at all on what they were offered.

It is said at the beginning of this scene, "All of them, it seemed, had fared alike: each had felt that he was offered a choice between a shadow full of fear that lay ahead, and something that he greatly desired: clear before his mind it lay, and to get it he had only to turn aside from the road and leave the Quest and the war against Sauron to others."

So here's my prompt. Take any member of the Fellowship (save Gandalf, of course) and tell the story of their temptation by Galadriel. What were they tempted with? How did they perceive this temptation? (A vision of the future? A voice in their head?) How had they rationalised their choice? Sam is the only one who offers anything concrete on what he was offered, and even he has some room for interpretation (he stops short at "a nice little hole with -- with a bit of garden of my own." Was he going to say something else originally?)

Cheers,
Marta

And a Silm idea I just had. How about someone's reaction to Earendil's and Elwing's arrival in Valinor? (I.E., when they first met them, or when they first received word of their arrival.) Lots of great possibilities there -- any of the Valar, Maiar, Vanyar, Teleri... If you wanted to broaden it you could include when someone in Middle-earth first received word/guessed that Earendil and Elwing had reached Valinor safely.

Cheers,
Marta

Marta, most people (unlike me!) have not yet realised how evil you can be

But your Silm idea sparked off a few others for the second age from the version of Akallabêth in the Silm (this is where all the quotes come from). Don't know if any of these have been suggested before, but here goes:

1) "Thus it was that because of the Ban of the Valar the voyages of the Dúnedain in those days went ever eastward and not westward, from the darkness of the North to the heats of the South, and beyond the South to the Nether Darkness; and they came even into the inner seas, and sailed about Middle-earth and glimpsed from their high prows the Gates of Morning in the East. And the Dúnedain came at times to the shores of the Great Lands, and they took pity on the forsaken world of Middle-earth; and the Lords of Númenor set foot again upon the western shores in the Dark Years of Men, and none yet dared to withstand them."

The prompt is: Describe either a voyage or what happes when they make landfall when a ship (or fleet) of the Dúnedain sails between Númenor and M-e. The voyage can be in either direction. There are some nice canonical characters mentioned in UT if people want specific ideas eg Aldarion, Vëantur, the captain of the very first ship to return to M-e.)

2) "It is said that Amandil set sail in a small ship at night, and steered first eastward, and then went about and passed into the west. And he took with him three servants, dear to his heart, and never again were they heard of by word or sign in this world, nor is there any tale or guess of their fate."

The prompt is: Just what did happen to Amandil and his companions when he set sail for Valinor?

3) [Elendil] "went aboard his ship and stood off from the shore, waiting on the time. There he was protected by the land from the great draught of the sea that drew all towards the abyss, and afterwards he was sheltered from the first fury of the storm. But when the devouring wave rolled over the land and Númenor toppled to its fall, then he would have been overwhelmed and would have deemed it the lesser grief to perish, for no wrench of death could be more bitter than the loss and agony of that day; but the great wind took him, wilder than any wind that Men had known, roaring from the west, and it swept his ships far away; and it rent their sails and snapped their masts, hunting the unhappy men like straws upon the water.

"Nine ships there were: four for Elendil, and for Isildur three, and for Anárion two; and they fled before the black gale out of the twilight of doom into the darkness of the world. And the deeps rose beneath them in towering anger, and waves like unto mountains moving with great caps of writhen snow bore them up amid the wreckage of the clouds, and after many days cast them away upon the shores of Middle-earth."

The prompt is: Just what was it like to be on board one of the nine ships that escaped the downfall of Númenor. You could choose Elendil, Isildur or Anarion - or an OC?

(And talking about this with one of my beta group for her fic, it seems pretty clear that those ships could have been rather overcrowded and unpleasant!)

Hope that helps

Cheers

I started reading the Akallabeth this afternoon (afte rfinishing the Quenta Silm for the first time -- quite happy with myself over that one), and so I have yet another Silm nuzgul.

The reaction of anyone living in Numenor to Sauron's arrival.

That could be rather interesting.

Cheers,
Marta

Marta, most people (unlike me!) have not yet realised how evil you can be

Oh good, one of us at least is still somewhat below the radar. For now...

These look very interesting, Liz. I especially like the voyages of the Númenoreans when the world was still flat.

And Starlight, don't worry too much about the nuzgûl if they seem like Quickies. You know how that always goes: you're forever trying to cut things to make the page count!

Newbie Question:

I've been playing around with a nuzgul from one of Starlight's ideas (thanks so much Starlight!

Are any of those going to be challenges/quickies? What is the difference anyway?

Just curious...as this was/is a persistent nuzgul and is nearly ready for a second set of eyes.
Cheryl

I've been playing around with a nuzgul from one of Starlight's ideas (thanks so much Starlight!

Oh, coolness! What idea?

Are any of those going to be challenges/quickies? What is the difference anyway?

Some terms...

A nuzgul is a story idea. It's called a plot bunny in many other fandoms. For example, Dwim's nuzgul Sherwood Asks -- Why Are We Here looking for an Ent's response to the question of why they exist.

A challengeis a nuzgul that gets five pledges. That is, five people say "Yeah, I'll write that!" It can be thematic (for example, the "Behind Closed Doors" challenge, focusing on paid-for sex in different cultures), stylistic ("A Tale By Any Toher Name", where fanfic is written in the style of a classic book), or some other such thing.

The Quickies Challenge is a special, recurring kind of challenge. It closes on the last day of every third month (March, June, Oct., Dec.) and authors write a continuous scene to one of several prompts. The things we're discussing in this thread probably won't make it into Quickies, though the challenge managers (that would be Dwim and myself) have been known to do devious things like that.

But what we're discussing here are potential prompts for the New Members Challenge. This is another recurrent challenge. All authors must have been members of HASA for less than four months or have completed less than three fanfics. There's not a length limit here, but you do still have to answer a specific prompt. Dwim and I will choose three prompts each from The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion. If there aren't enough suggested, we'll come up with some of our own.

So I take it,since you said you're a newbie, that you'd qualify for the New Members Challenge. If your story idea is one of the nine selected, then it would be eligible for the New Members Challenge. And you're always welcome to pitch it as a potential challenge in the Prospective Challenges forum -- just start a thread, and try to get five people to agree to write it.

(Psst... if you let us know what prompt you're writing, the Challenge Managers would love to know.)

I often beta works for members new to HASA, but because of RL concerns I'm trying to cut down (I make it sound like an addiction!) However, feel free to ask for help at the HA Yahoo Group, or a the "I Need a Beta Reader!" thread.

Best of luck,
Marta

Thanks for all the info, Marta I'm sure I read a lot of that somewhere, but forgot. What can I say? I'm still on the steep side of the learning curve for M-e and M-e fanfic writing. burying nose in new copy of Morgoth's Ring for yet another nuzgul

Oh, coolness! What idea?

Eomer recieves his first horse. Definitely a nuzgul....I have lots of those. LOL But this one didn't let me do anything else until I'd at least drafted it. It's short...only two pages, I haven't decided if I'm done or want to make more of it.

Psst... if you let us know what prompt you're writing, the Challenge Managers would love to know

hehehe...I love your eagerness. It does sound like an addiction, but have no fear, you're in like and understanding company.
Cheryl

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges