Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: The Choice...

The Choice...

Yes, folks, that's right; HASA's Challenges and
Resources managers are hunting you. We're now gang... *wheeze* …working
cooperatively to bring you – drum roll, please - The Choice...

"Got the facts? Got *all* the facts? We want 'em! Resources is looking to have a Research Article that carefully lays out all the pertinent quotes concerning The Choice of the Half-elven, and which attempts to organize them and draw some basic conclusions. This way, others will be able to have a comprehensive, useful overview of this issue.

"Got an opinion? Back it up! Submit a Critical (interpretative) Essay on The Choice of the Half-elven. What do all those facts really *mean*? If you've got an idea, then marshal your evidence and write that essay! Feel free to reference any Research Articles submitted--for those members who don't have copies of all the works in question, this will make it far easier for them to read for themselves the evidence presented and come to a conclusion about your theory."

There is no one right answer here folks - all theories will be considered. All we ask is to see some evidence for these theories within the body of Tolkien’s extensive written works. Looking for a specific quote to support your theory, but you can’t recall where it is found? Or are you lacking access to all of Tolkien’s texts? Here’s an opportunity to put HASA’s Resources to work for you. Questions posted in the Resources forum or on-list are fielded by one of our intrepid volunteer researchers. Plus there is much information already available within the database of Resources: character bios, events, places and artifacts... *okay, enough SSP for Resources*

Moving right along… *clears throat*

"In the same spirit of timeliness and rampant
opportun^H^H^H cooperation ;-) Challenges would like to
bring back to member attention a nuzgul that is quite
apropos to the recent discussion of The Choice...: that
nuzgul is "Strange Fates". Now, this nuzgul was
originally conceived in light of the line:

'Tolkien said that " Marriage, save for rare ill
chances or strange fates, was the natural course of
life for all the Eldar."'

The natural question: what is a strange fate?

Although not connected with the matrimonial aspect as
clearly, certainly the Half-elven cannot be accused of
being idle or normal when it comes to their final
destinies ('fates'). Write a story about the final
fate of one of the Half-elven as it concerns The
Choice
. Whether it's a retrospective or an
anticipation of things to come, whether it is a story
from the perspective of a Half-elven character or from
the perspective of another pondering upon such a
character, surely there's a story just waiting to be
told about the Half-elven and their very unusual fate:
to control their own destiny as no other Elf has."

For further discussion of research articles or critical essays see the discussion titled The Choice...

Re: The Choice...

> Your Book No.: 18418
> Author: Tolkien, J.R.R. with Christopher Tolkien (ed)
> Title: The History of Middle Earth #11 - The War of the J
> Price: US$ 12.00
>
> Description: Used paperback; oversized

>Hi [Dwim],

>Your book has been shipped.

>John

*sigh* Step one towards collecting documentation of the Eärendil tale. Let's see how I do with Resource nuzgûl.

*sigh* Step one towards collecting documentation of the Eärendil tale. Let's see how I do with Resource nuzgûl.

*taps fingers evilly* Excellent. Am I to take this as evidence that I am free from obligation to this nuzgul?

Nasty hobbitses, we hates them forever... yes, I'm a bit tied up in the research!nuzgul department at present. But if you'll handle The Choice (TM) I'll keep my attentions focused on subjects that do not require the stretching of my already over-extended budget.

Marta

Oh, I'm sure Lyllyn and I can take turns nudg...nursing you through it.

~Nessime

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges