Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: RotK movie challenge (spoilers)

RotK movie challenge (spoilers)

In last month's Challenges bulleting to the HA list I mentioned a possible prospective challenge: the Return of the King movie challenge. It would work similar to the current movie challenge. The basic idea is you take a part from the movie that did not work to you, seemed OOC, or something else along those lines.

Since most of us have by now seen Return of the King, was there a certain scene that didn't work to you?

If you would be interested in writing a fic for this challenge please speak up.

As a side note, since the first movie challenge focused on the first two movies I'd like to see this one focus on RotK but if other people disagree I'm flexible on that.

Marta

Re: RotK movie challenge

Works for me. I was thinking of just extending the deadline on the first movie challenge, but I think it would be nice to get some of those stories out. Opinions, people?

I'd suggest closing the challenge on Fellowship and leaving the challenge open for TTT and RotK. Some of us are slow - I only recently posted my Fellowship story.

Lyllyn

I'm with you here, Lyllyn. I still have a story idea or two for Two Towers, though Return of the King has also given me its share of material.

Marta

I'm just wondering whether having seen the whole Trilogy might inspire someone to go back and tackle something from FotR? Imagery and themes carry on through all three films and we now have the complete filmverse to draw on. - Well apart from the last EE DVD.

I may consider writing something for it.

I may consider writing something for it.

What's your idea? I know this is spoilers-territory, so I'll go change the thread's name to include "spoilers" as a warning, but it would certainly help my creative juices to hear other people's story ideas. (Like I need more nuzguls... )

Marta

Just a note to check the polls section. Thanks!

I have been meanig to write for this one, I even have an outline.

But I voted to extend because there are some things in the first two that I feel differently about in light of moive three, and I need to think about them a bit. I'm sure that is true for others, too.

--fileg

Re: RotK movie challenge (spoilers)

Had a thought as to how to deal with the fact that we want to include RoTK in the Movie Challenge, want to give members the opportunity to write fics about the first two film installments in light of how the third has changed perceptions of the first two, and yet still want to get the original challenge out onto the public side of the site.

1) I create a new Challenge: The Trilogy Film Challenge. Same text, same concept as the Movie Challenge, save that RoTK is now included. Deadline: 1 year from now.

2) I close the original Movie Challenge and make it public (soon).

3) Those who entered the original Movie Challenge: enter your Movie Challenge fics into the Trilogy Film Challenge *as well.* One story may be entered into more than one Challenge after all.

When the time limit for the Trilogy Challenge is over, I will set it to "public" and simultaneously, move the original Movie Challenge to "keep private". That way, fics that've been written for the Movie Challenge will still be made available sometime later tonight or post-Christmas, but we will still have, in the end, one single collection for all the fics that are trying to 'fix' or explain parts of the movies that were difficult for the authors to accept.

I think that gives us the best of both worlds.

Sounds like a plan.

I'm wondering whether there is any scope for some sort of general Challenge for people to fix their book problems (including dabbing a bit of glue on the shards of Narsil)?

at Challenge Managers Hi guys Marta and I got on to talking about the movie challenge and how there's a bunch of new stuff in the RotK EE that is just crying out for movie challenge stories. But the current movie trilogy challenge closes in a few days time. Can I suggest we either extend the deadline for the current challenge (which seems the better option to me) or start a new challenge so people have a chance to write stories about parts of the RotK EE that bug them? Cheers, Liz

Hi there, I'd second extending the deadline on the current challenge. Cheers, Alawa

Extend the deadline. RiverOtter

My bad! I closed the challenge without catching up on forum reading first! This prioritizing thing isn't working so well... I can easily reopen it, though, and give it a later deadline. Any suggestions for how much longer? Once I extend it, I'll announce it onlist and here. Allie PS- *cough* This is actually good for me, too. I watched ROTK EE again today, and got four new ideas for reconciling the movieverse.

Hi Allie Any suggestions for how much longer? I think three months should probably be enough? People can always take placeholders if they haven't written a story, but I think that's plenty of time for them to work out what bothers them about the EE? I watched ROTK EE again today, and got four new ideas for reconciling the movieverse. Want to share? (Hoping you'll tackle some of my pet peeves so I don't have to...!) Cheers, Liz

Consider it done. I think 3 months should be plenty of time for any who want to grab a placeholder to do so. Want to share? (Hoping you'll tackle some of my pet peeves so I don't have to...!) Gr. Well, they're already mine anyway, so let's see what I scribbled down during "intermission".... Minor digression from topic discussion... The first was about the woman statue holding the shards of Narsil, and exactly why Aragorn wasn't carrying them around like he was in the book. At this point, it's just idea, and it's focusing on backstory: a legend on why the shards sat there instead of being carried with the Heir. Looking at the second one, I'm not quite sure if I can classify it as movieverse, or if it actually would fit in with bookverse. That one line of Eomer's, at Dunharrow, where he says to Eowyn that "war is the province of men". The one that I don't think is going to work for me is reconciling the thing about Arwen dying because of the Ring. I have glimmers of thought on it, but I don't think I can really address that particular divergence from canon with full justice. My muse is trying to convince me that it has something to do with being the daughter and granddaughter of ringbearers. But I don't know if it is going to work. And lucky that you asked me to share, Liz! I now remembered the fourth idea, which I failed to write down! That line of Merry's, when Pip finds him on the Pelennor Fields: "Are you going to leave me?" I was thinking about what Merry suffered under the Black Breath, and why he would ask that question, and my musings turned to your Faramir-Black-Breath vignette "Failure". So I might (with your kind indulgence) write something similar, based on Merry's experience under the Black Breath. Apologies for the digression in topic, everyone! And if anyone else is interested in writing on any of these, feel free! Allie edit: Challenge extended. Closes March 31, 2005.

Hi Allie Challenge extended. Closes March 31, 2005 Thanks for sorting out the extension! All your ideas are very interesting. Sadly none of them address my major gripes with the RotK EE, darnit! And the only gripe I can explain is not really a story idea, just a plausible theory. And lucky that you asked me to share, Liz! I now remembered the fourth idea, which I failed to write down! Excellent That line of Merry's, when Pip finds him on the Pelennor Fields: "Are you going to leave me?" I was thinking about what Merry suffered under the Black Breath, and why he would ask that question, and my musings turned to your Faramir-Black-Breath vignette "Failure". So I might (with your kind indulgence) write something similar, based on Merry's experience under the Black Breath. You're very welcome. I don't own a monopoly on the notion -- and I would love to see your story. Cheers, Liz

The one that I don't think is going to work for me is reconciling the thing about Arwen dying because of the Ring. I have glimmers of thought on it, but I don't think I can really address that particular divergence from canon with full justice. My muse is trying to convince me that it has something to do with being the daughter and granddaughter of ringbearers. But I don't know if it is going to work. Ugh, I hate that part! It's one of those parts where I just want to grab Jackson et al, shake them by their shoulders, and ask them what the osp Belain-awarthen mumakil they were thinking. Not only is it a lame, canon-warping idea, but it was made all the worse by the fact that people didn't get it! I keep getting people asking me what was going on with that part, "why does Arwen get weaker as Sauron gets stronger? I don't understand." They tossed it in with no explaination or reasoning, really. You might treat it with an explaination about how Arwen's love for Aragorn would mean she would pine away as much in Valinor as much as she would in M-e after Aragorn dies and so she's chosen to stick it out. You know, Sauron gets the Ring back, she gets canned along with everyone else, kinda thing... This has been a mini-rant. ^_^ Berz.

The one that I don't think is going to work for me is reconciling the thing about Arwen dying because of the Ring.

Ugh, I hate that part!

Me too!  I just found this thread today, and I know it's probably deader than a door nail, but I just had to chime in.  The thing that started me writing fan fiction was an obsessive need to correct what Jackson did with Aragorn and Arwen's story line in ROTK.  I may submit my version of the story to the Oliphant pen for this challenge.  I couldn't believe they decided to make her come back for the hope of being a mother and not because Aragorn's love was worth dying for.  I've listened to the authors' commentaries on the extended edition DVD, and they seem to think they were quite clever for coming up with it.  I was dying to hear Elrond say, "Become king or hands off my daughter," like he does in Appendix A, but they totally ignored that little detail.

Anyhow, one good rant deserves another.  I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

Wordweaver 

I agree. I never liked the movie thing with Arwen's life force tied to the Ring. It doesn't make sense. One day I puzzeled over it for a very long time, and I finally came to a good explanation...but then I lost it...

Anyway, putting on my Challenges Assistant hat...

Does this Challenge have a thread in the Story Discussions forum? If so, it would probably be best to continue this discussion there as the PC forum is only supposed to be for new Challenge ideas. If we CA's see a new PC post, we automatically assume that there's a new Challenge idea. Things can get confusing if discussion is going on here. Thanks!   (Don't worry. You're not in trouble!)

~Nienna

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges