Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Yo Ho Ho & A Bottle of Rum (maybe)

Yo Ho Ho & A Bottle of Rum (maybe)

Having seen "Pirates of the Caribbean" this w/e, I got to thinking--how about a nuzgul/challenge about the corsairs of Umbar? There's several periods that could be used--when Castamir & his followers were hiding there after their defeat in the Kinstrife, the time Aragorn defeated them while serving Gondor in disguise, or even a Fourth Age fantasia where a few remnants are hiding in the offshore islands & causing trouble.

So, anybody else cotton to the notion of a M-e pirate tale? Arrggh!

Regina

Re: Yo Ho Ho & A Bottle of Rum (maybe)

Yar, matie. Sounds like fun. Guess parrots would make it an AU. What's the ME equivalent of doubloons?

flick

Gack! I could hate you but this is just far too appealing. Mmm [Dwim struggles to control her natural impulses... sadly, Dwim sucks at doing so]

All right, my hand's up.

Any other victims?

Ahoy, Dwim! Shall I go post this as a Nuzgul tonight?

Regina

Avast, Regina, give it a bit more time. And arm twisting. Drop this nuzgûl on the list as well and see who you can impress into your crew of writerly slaves. ;-)

I, for one, would *love* to see Imrahil in action against some pirates (ahem, Isabeau). Or to see the Corsairs take down Pelargir. Or see Denethor balk in his youthful days at having to deal civilly and diplomatically with a representative of the Haradric 'Free traders' of the sea. Or perhaps see the humble beginnings of these infamous sea dogs.

C'mon folks, surely there's a need for adventure on the high seas! If only to show all the "Pirates of the Carribean" fanficcers how it's *really* done. ;-)

Just to make things more interesting:

Pirate ships

Still more pirate ships

Useful vocabulary

Gah, I am sunk. Bury me now, because I'm going to have to write something, curse it all. Even if this doesn't become a challenge. :-S Well done, Regina, this plot bunny's done more damage to me than the killer mosquitoes.

... err... I think I might be a raised hand, too, although I warn you, I don't know what will come out of it! Dwim's idea of Denethor's youth has a tremendous appeal, though...

I'm in!

Starlight

P.S. Looking forward to see Dwim's take on this, btw. I knew you'd give in!

So me, Flick, and Starlight so far?

Regina, are you succumbing to your own plot bunny?

We need two more hands, folks. Just two. Somebody go watch PoTC and come back willing to write this.

Please?

Yar, matey--I guess I will give in & let my bunny bite me(how ironic--used to raise them for real ). Would also be open to co-authoring with someone if they are so inclined, since my work schedule is beginning to kill me.

Anybody else wanting to put on an eyepatch?

Regina

Poetic justice, and one I'm not unfamiliar with since taking this job. Heh heh heh.

Ok, so that's four. We need one more raised hand. Zim? Are you willing to try your hand at more removed Númenoreans, and baddies at that?

Do we have any marines or navy folks out there who might possibly find this entertaining? Coast guard folks? People who just like boats? Fans of Sir Francis Drake?

People who just want the excuse to rewatch the old Long John Silver Disney movies for inspiration?

I might be interested. However, us Brits don't get to see the film until around a week into August.

No matter! This ain't 'Pirates of the Carribean', after all, it's the Corsairs of Umbar.

So on the basis of *that*... are you in?

No matter! This ain't 'Pirates of the Carribean', after all, it's the Corsairs of Umbar.

If you need inspiration, in lieu of POC rent "Captain Blood" for fun -- old but buckles great swash.

I, for one, would *love* to see Imrahil in action against some pirates (ahem, Isabeau).

What'll you give me, matey? What with me being prone to motion sickness and all.......... What's the time frame on this? If it's long enough, I might bite.

What'll you give me, matey? What with me being prone to motion sickness and all..........

I would suggest Dramamine, only it wouldn't have been around in Imrahil's day. But powdered gingerroot is known to be quite effecacious.

Seriously though, I would dearly love to see your take on this, especially as you've given us such deliciously tempting hints of how wild and wicked Imrahil was in his younger days.

~Nessime

Time frame people? Five months? Six? Assuming we can get just one more hand, that is...?

Heh. Yes, school is calling to me... calling, calling, and I look already to December for the next fic glut.

Nessime, since you're here, is that a hand I see? Hmmm?

Isabeau, I would dearly love to read more about Imrahil and Andrahar's exploits at sea, or maybe Erchirion's? Your Erchirion is just wonderful... he's making his way to become my favorite among Imrahil's children 'Isabeau wise'

Nessime, will you give it a try? And, I seem to recall Altariel mentioning in 'At Sea' that Elendil never found his sea-legs. Don't you think that's a tale worth the telling? Altariel, are you around?

I think six months would be nice. It gives me a chance to catch POTC once it gets here and draw some visual inspiration.

Starlight

Isabeau, I would dearly love to read more about Imrahil and Andrahar's exploits at sea, or maybe Erchirion's? Your Erchirion is just wonderful... he's making his way to become my favorite among Imrahil's children 'Isabeau wise'

I'm thinking of a couple of Imrahil possibilities--there's always that rather foolhardy battle that got him beached right before Ultimatums.....

OK, make it six months, and I'm in. Three is too short, what with all the other stuff I'm juggling.

.I'm thinking of a couple of Imrahil possibilities--there's always that rather foolhardy battle that got him beached right before Ultimatums...

Hooray! I was hoping you'd join in. Your Imrahil has become a real favorite.

I have the same problem with time, so the six month time frame sounds good to me too. Say the word, and I'm in.

This has been nipping at my heels since I first saw it, and even without seeing PotC I have plenty of other inspiration to draw on. So I suppose I will brush up on my nautical terminology - I'm no "landlubber" you know - and see what I can conjure up.

~Nessime

PS - Isabeau, for all that I almost grew up on the water I still have moments when I get a bit queasy, and I have found that the gingerroot does work!

I vote six months. Same problem as Dwim -- school's starting soon. Back to RL.

I'm thinking a Gilbert & Sullivan / ME Crossover... "It is, it is a glorious thing to be a Pirate King..." OK, just kidding... I know, no crossovers.

Your wishes are my command.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges