Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Fate of the Evenstar - An AU Challenge - REVISED

Fate of the Evenstar - An AU Challenge - REVISED

Here's the Challenge:

For you Aragorn/Arwen fanciers I would like to issue this AU challenge - I would like to see a story where Arwen, after Aragorn's death, does not go to Lothlórien to die on Cerin Amroth but instead is persuaded to go with Legolas and Gimli when they depart for the West together.

Now Arwen is still mortal and when she reaches the shores of Valinor, she will still die but not before she sees her parents again, discovering they have another daughter (You name her). This plot bunny is optional!!!

Let a year pass in the Blessed Realm before Arwen dies with her family (brothers included) by her side. Also let Elrond's pain show in the story, perhaps having him refuse to join Arwen's side at first when she finally begins to fade away.

Suggested Chapter Titles/Quotes:

The Bitterness of Mortality
"... You will still have to taste the bitterness of mortality..."

An Image of Splendor
"...He will come to death. An image of the splendor of the kings of men in glory, undimmed before the breaking of the world..."

Nothing
"...there is nothing for you here..."

In Darkness and in Doubt
"...in darkness and in doubt..."

Winter That Comes Without a Star
"...winter that comes without a star..."

[All quotes taken from the movie version of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers]

Re: Fate of the Evenstar - An AU Challenge

We should also note that Lady of Imladris has already bravely put a hand into the nuzgûl Hutch and been bitten.

Any others? We need four more...

I'll take a stab at it... I'm experiencing writer's block with everything else, so why not? Though I probably won't have it finished for a while, due to problems in the real world (yes, there actually is one! amazing, isn't it?)

Great!

Yes, two have now answered my challenge - who will be #3?

Hi--

I'm interested in pursuing your challenge. It sounds like a good one and plays around some ideas I have floating around in my head. However, I find it a little bit constricting. Do her parents have to have another child for example? How much lee-way are you willing to give?

Thanks,

Julia

[[I'm interested in pursuing your challenge. It sounds like a good one and plays around some ideas I have floating around in my head. However, I find it a little bit constricting. Do her parents have to have another child for example? How much lee-way are you willing to give?]]

If you do not want to write that Elrond and Celebrian had another child, I am willing to let that requirement go then - if you will but take my challenge...

If you do not want to write that Elrond and Celebrian had another child, I am willing to let that requirement go then - if you will but take my challenge...

Then you have a deal. I haven't submitted anything to this group yet, still slightly nervous about it, but I'm interested to see where this goes.

Julia

Hooray!

Yay - you are person #3 to accept my challenge...

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

FYI

Just as an FYI, usually, the more open you are about the details of a plot, the more likely you are to attract participants in a challenge. So unless the Other Daughter scenario is really what you want to see, I'd consider dropping it as a requirement and making it a suggestion of possible things you could do with an AU about Arwen going to Valinor as a mortal. Find the heart of the concept and let others decide how they want to deal with it--that seems to be the winning combination.

Re: FYI

I have revised my challenge to where the inclusion of Elrond and Celebrian's 4th child is optional...

I have writen the 4th chapter. I think this might be a long (well long for me!) story. The daughter is called Elenea and she is a brat. A big brat! I hate her! Why did I make a character I hate?

Hmm.... This sounds like an interesting idea for a story. Count me in!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges