Forum: Hands of the King

Discussing: Ch. 32 - Cold

Ch. 32 - Cold

Cold

No warnings. Second of six Finduilas POV chapters. She is in Minas Tirith and begins to set things in order. Several scenes with Denethor, one with Thorongil, and a number with minor characters.

Her return to Minas Tirth begins, as so many marriages do, with the household and economics.  As days pass and the City fills, politics is as much on Finduilas's mind as romance.  A new prince has arisen, and is to be reckoned with.

Many thanks to my fantastic betas.

Ang

Re: Ch. 32 - Cold

Yay, another chapter!

What really intrigued me here was Angelimir's reaction to seeing and meeting Thorongil - guess we know better than Fin does at the time, who claims his behaviour has become odd. Will we ever find out which of the two men he really saw in his dreams? I just hope the old Prince doesn't believe now that agreeing to the marriage was a fault!

What really intrigued me here was Angelimir's reaction to seeing and meeting Thorongil - guess we know better than Fin does at the time, who claims his behaviour has become odd.

Yes, the reader knows more than either main character. Finduilas has no idea of her grandfather's dream, though she is certainly wondering. Angelimir got a rather rude shock, but it also emphasizes the close resemblance of Denethor and Thorongil, and the way their fates intersect. 

Will we ever find out which of the two men he really saw in his dreams?

Why does it have to be one or the other?  I think it is both of them and neither, a premonition of something that could happen, but vague enough that you don't know if it will, who will be involved, or what the outcome will be.

I just hope the old Prince doesn't believe now that agreeing to the marriage was a fault!

You'll find out in the next chapter. 

Toodles - Ang 

Why does it have to be one or the other? I think it is both of them and neither, a premonition of something that could happen, but vague enough that you don't know if it will, who will be involved, or what the outcome will be.
And I admit it's more interesting that way! Guess it's just that personally, I'd prefer these prophetic deams to be more 'practical', i.e. easier to interpret.

You'll find out in the next chapter.
Evil indeed!

I too was curious about Angelimir and what he now thinks. Also about Luinir and whether Maraberiel figures into this somehow. And finally, about who is reacting how to the banner.

I did spot one typo, I'm not sure whether you wanted "harvest was good" or "harvests were good."

'No, my lady. The Citadel's stores are full and overfull this year. The harvests was good.'

Waiting eagerly...

Lyllyn

I too was curious about Angelimir and what he now thinks. Also about Luinir and whether Maraberiel figures into this somehow. And finally, about who is reacting how to the banner.

Next chapter for Angelimir. Luinmir will appear again later in the story. She will tell her story and you'll see who is involved. I don't go into too much detail as to who is reacting to the banner, but the effect of Finduilas being a very distinct political actor, unlike previous wives of the Stewards, will continue to grow. She will become the most notable spouse of the ruler since Queen Beruthiel.

Not a typo. I meant to indicate harvests in the plural - root crops, grains crops, fruits, the autumn slaughter, and so forth.

Glad you are enjoying it!

Ang 

For plural harvests, would it be "harvests were good?"

Lyllyn

Oh, duh...

I'll edit on the morrow. 

Toodles - Ang

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Hands of the King

Stories linked to the forum