Forum: Hands of the King

Discussing: Ch. 15 - Fidelity

Ch. 15 - Fidelity

Fidelity Back to Finduilas's POV. Nothing too earth-shattering in this one, but a great deal of set-up going on. All the funny little details will begin to snowball very quickly. Luinil knows more than she's letting on. A new set of familiar characters makes an appearance. They'll be around for the next two chapters. The character appendix has been updated. I'll be spending most of the rest of the holiday weekend working my way through DL7's great corrections list (Finally!) and tweaking past chapters generally. My hope is to get back into a pattern of posting a new beta chapter every two weeks. Toodles - Ang

Re: Ch. 15 - Fidelity

I'd forgotten how much I missed this - I'm so glad to see it back. Political intrigue and strong female characters - excellent! My hope is to get back into a pattern of posting a new beta chapter every two weeks. Wonderful, wonderful! Ann

I'm already writing the next chapter. I'd forgotten how much I missed this - I'm so glad to see it back. Political intrigue and strong female characters - excellent! Expect only more of each as time goes on. I think you will very much enjoy the chapter 16. Finduilas gets to play Nancy Drew again, much to Thorongil's dismay. And, why, yes, I *am* a tease! ;-) Toodles - Ang

Just called in to tell you that I'm still reading your story! I only managed to read the latest installment today. *rolls eyes at herself* This was my favourite paragraph: Thorongil said, ‘If it pleases you, my ladies, I will walk Finduilas back.’ As he spoke, he reached out and put a hand on her arm. The touch made her stomach lurch. Finduilas stumbled back against the wall, grabbing for Luinil’s arm. Maybe I'm imagining things, but I think this nicely corresponds with Denethors's reaction to both Finduilas's and Beruthiel's touch in the previous chapter.

Just called in to tell you that I'm still reading your story! I only managed to read the latest installment today. Oh, huzzah! Always glad to know I'm keeping people engaged. Why, yes, it does correspond to Denethor's reactions. There will be more on this in the next chapter. This is a theme that is running through the story and will continue until the end. Basically, I am trying to describe how marital fidelity works in the Ardaverse, given Tolkien's construction of Elven monogamy. If Men and Elves are two kinds of a similar being (as he discusses in his letters) then there could be something in Men, particularly the Edain, even more particularly those families that have some percentage of Elven blood in them (as JRRT confirms Finduilas has via Mithrellas, and as I posit Denethor has as a distaff descendent of Elendil), that would act in a similar manner, if lacking the mortal consequences. Men are able to be unfaithful, though at a cost, but they are also able to come very close to Elven conditions of emotional/physical bonding. I think that Arwen's ability to see Aragorn in her thoughts while he sojourns has something to do with the kind of soul bonding Tolkien describes, even though they are not yet married. So, what's going on? How does it happen? What are its signs? How is it understood and explained by the Dunedain themselves? In developing Denethor & Finduilas's relationship, I'm going to try to explain it. I expect to post a new chapter in the next few days, as the muse has been very kind. So, I *hope* new work on Thursday, but definitely by Saturday. RL is a little hectic this week. Ang

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Hands of the King

Stories linked to the forum