Forum: Hands of the King

Discussing: Ch. 5 - Confidences

Ch. 5 - Confidences

Confidences In which Finduilas becomes more deeply involved in the politics of Minas Tirith.

Re: Ch. 5 - Confidences

Hi Anglachel!
I don't imagine I'm the only one who's still reading this, but I feel it's high time to let you know how much I enjoy HotK, lest you feel inclined to stop posting or even writing.
Both the canon characters and the OCs are very interesting, though -- or as? -- the relationships between the members of Ecthelion's family make me shudder.
As to ch. 5, I absolutely love the confrontation between D & F. It's great to see how she can hold her ground!
In short: I want more!!!

In short: I want more!!! Ditto! But you already knew that... Lyllyn

Hi Astara! I'm glad to hear someone is reading this. I am considering stopping the posts, due to lack of reader interest, and then start again when the story is actually done - sometime late in 2004 or early 2005. The Steward's house is dysfunctional in interesting ways. I've not seen much fanfic that tries to substantively address the effect of Thorongil on Gondorian politics. It's usually limited to a psychodrama between Denethor and Thorongil. It also tends to be light on the immediate history of Minas Tirith, what was going on prior to Thorongil's arrival, and why a total stranger would be allowed the levels of authority granted to Thorongil. So, I'm going into that. The conflicts in the family will get much worse before they get better. Hmm, come to think of it, I'm not sure they do get better. Finduilas is a great character, combining stubbornness and political savvy with a kind and forgiving heart. She and Denethor butt heads a number of times, and she is rarely the loser. Thanks for the feedback! Ang

Yes, but I wasn't sure anyone besides you was reading. I''ll get through site launch and probably one more chapter here, then decide what I'm going to do. Ang

Ang, don't you dare stop! It's bad enough I'm still waiting for the rest of the Two Trees series. lyllyn

I must agree with Lyllyn -- there are much more WiPs already in my LotR fanfic folders than I like. I know one can't force one's muse, and then there's real life, too, but.... Well, you get the idea!
It's exactly the political perspective of your fic which I like, probably because it's not my cup of tea as an author. I'm one of those writers who to concentrate on the psychodramatic aspects of relationships and who are hopeless romantics as well , so it's fascinating to look on a familiar situation from a different angle. Though it might be good thing that I'm warned now that things will even get worse in your story.

I'm still reading as well! And enjoying! Very much! And I as soon as I have my RL issues off my desk (which should be sometime next week ... hopefully) I'll go around and type that detailed review I have been planning to do since I read the first chapter! fliewatuet

Finduilas truly gets to shine here. She puts both Denethor and Gandalf in their places during a single chapter and displays a very sharp mind (as well as some bad temper, which is realistic: somebody who is feeling ill and frustrated can't be all sweetness and roses all the time). I am curious as to what Luinil exactly did in the staring-down-sitting-at-the-desk-husband-scene. Did she sit down on his lap? Gandalf is all his usual Maja self: kindly but impenetrable.

Finduilas truly gets to shine here. She puts both Denethor and Gandalf in their places during a single chapter and displays a very sharp mind (as well as some bad temper, which is realistic: somebody who is feeling ill and frustrated can't be all sweetness and roses all the time). There is a tough, non-nonsense core to this woman, and when she decides it is time to take off the gloves, watch out. She takes after her mother in this regard. Finduilas is fundamentally a kind person - she does not wish to cause anyone grief - but she's no push-over, either. Neither a High Warden nor a wandering wizard is going to make her back down if she thinks they are wrong. It's not a spoiler to say that she will have several more encounters with Mithrandir before the end of the story. As for what Luinil did, well, it involves a kiss and making a certain husband apologize in order not to be sleeping by himself. At some point, Finduilas will be able to follow Luinil's example completely. ;-) Toodles - Ang

As for what Luinil did, well, it involves a kiss and making a certain husband apologize in order not to be sleeping by himself. LOL, I thought it must have been something appropriate for a teenage daughter to witness. Looking forward to Finduilas doing it

Looking forward to Finduilas doing it . Me too, me too! *taps foot impatiently*

Looking forward to Finduilas doing it . Me too, me too! *taps foot impatiently* Patience. We're dealing with Mr. Grumpy here, and you're going to have to respect his inner-prude. Finduilas will have a great deal of fun breaking him of his more reticent habits... Toodles - Ang

*sigh* I know, it's Mr Grumpy Bonehead. Sadly, patience isn't exactly my forte. Addendum: I just happened to read the beginning of this thread. Can't believe you were considering to stop posting till the fic was finished due to lack of response, Ang! I hope all the feedback you've received in the meantime has been a reward of its own for all the work you've been putting into this great story!

Patience. We're dealing with Mr. Grumpy here, and you're going to have to respect his inner-prude. Finduilas will have a great deal of fun breaking him of his more reticent habits... *snerk* Oh God, you are such a tease.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Hands of the King

Stories linked to the forum