Forum: Hands of the King

Discussing: Ch. 3 - Burial

Ch. 3 - Burial

Burial A few macabre subjects, but no warnings. This is the last of the set-up chapters. The rest of the story is the playing out of the situations set up in the first three. In a vain attempt not to get distracted, I am going to leave HotK with these three chapters until I get On Merry Yule revised. That's dragged on too long and it needs to be finished. Keep after me to get it done - no more Gondor until I wrap up affairs in the Shire. Toodles - Ang

Re: Ch. 3 - Burial

continuing-- typing fast b/c lightning storm coming & worried about power outage! pardon brusqueness. the funeral is beautifully described I find Thorongil's staring at Finduilas to be disconcerting. It is so novel to see him from the point of view of people who don't think he is a Good Guy. I'm assuming Finduilas bears an uncanny resemblance to Arwen, from Thorongil and Mithrandir's responses to her? When he had paid his visit last summer, he had climbed up an ancient vine that grew from the narrow side street up to a balcony, and then through a door on the balcony into her room, ‘You were a slattern who did not care who showed up in your bed. Like father, like daughter. Am I at fault that you did not enquire before accepting your suitor?’ He laughed and pulled her tightly to him, whispering, ‘And you kiss so well!’ As I've said, i love this little episode. ‘What is your choice, my lady? Shall I remain a guest in good standing, or must need I leave?’ ‘I could not bear to send you out into the cold and dark, Captain,’ Finduilas gaily replied, ‘so I must need say “yes” to your suit. I have always loathed the phrase "must needs". Is the repetition here deliberate? it makes my teeth hurt and I couldn't say why. I just thought I'd point out its frequency and if you meant it, then by all means continue, but if you didn't, aggh get it off my brain! One of those personal preference things. The explanation of the relationship between Emeldir and Ecthelion is beautifully done. And Denethor's views of himself and love-- fascinating.

I find Thorongil's staring at Finduilas to be disconcerting. It is so novel to see him from the point of view of people who don't think he is a Good Guy. I'm assuming Finduilas bears an uncanny resemblance to Arwen, from Thorongil and Mithrandir's responses to her? Yes, though that is just the start of the matter. Given the visual parallels between Thorongil and Denethor, I've created another one between Arwen and Finduilas (drawing on the Elven blood in the line of Dol Amroth). That lays the foundation for more mirroring and doubling. Maiaberiel and Denethor take swipes at each other throughout the story. This was just a taste of sibling savagery to come. The children of Ecthelion as a group are trouble. They are also all outstanding in their own way. Overacheivers-R-us. Ecthelion is very much written against fanon type. It never made sense to me that he could be this bland, avuncular guy and have a son as extreme as Denethor. So, after reading one-too-many stories with Ward & June Cleaver raising the Spawn from Hell (TM), I decided to make him as tough and manipulative as Denethor - after all, the boy learned it somewhere. However, there's also a history to Ecthelion. He's not a Bad Guy. To anyone outside his immediate family, he *is* thoughtful, wise, just, dependable, etc. His ugly side is reserved for his intimates, whom he believes have failed him - cold wife, deformed daughter, duplicitous son. Also, I gave him a flaw, lust, which is not in and of itself a horrible thing, but which cannot help but affect the realm, given his station. There's a lot of father-son issues that will ooze their way to the surface in subsequent chapters. Overall, he is a man poorly matched to his time, but who is doing the best he can. I have some plans for the character that will take some time to play out - there's further for him to fall, but also a hope for some kind of redemption. Thanks for the comments! Ang

Just spotted this, while rereading the whole thing (i really, really am enjoying this story, let me say again). He had been Denethor’s sparring partner when they was learning arms "were learning arms", yes? Although a little foray into Ebonics on Denethor's part would amuse immensely... : another [visual parallel] between Arwen and Finduilas (drawing on the Elven blood in the line of Dol Amroth) What's funny is that I had considered drawing one between Arwen and Finduilas's niece Lothiriel for the Eomer/Lothiriel fic I have perpetually in progress-- given that Eomer tells Gimli he thinks Arwen the most beautiful woman in the world-- but I haven't managed to work that in. Still, I had had the same thought there, with the line of Dol Amroth's lineage...

it would be impolite not arrive through the front door this evening. Aerin and Beregar trailed a discrete distance behind to give them privacy for talking. Just noticed this one as well. Discrete = a type of math. Discreet = circumspect.

Edits for Ch. 3 completed and posted - thank you! Ang

Overacheivers-R-us Indeed. "one-too-many stories with Ward & June Cleaver raising the Spawn from Hell (TM)" *falls over laughing* You've put it so beautifully! Those stories get on my nerves, too. Overall, he is a man poorly matched to his time, but who is doing the best he can. I found this to be an extremely fitting one-sentence summary of Ecthelion. Makes me sympathize with him a bit more than I usually do.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Hands of the King

Stories linked to the forum