Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: January 2008 Birthdays

January 2008 Birthdays

A new year - new birthdays - new birthday cards!

If you have birthday in January, why not request a little birthday gift from your fellow HASA members here in this thread?

If you do, please also visit the HASA Birthday Cards Workshop to create a workshop story - a place where you can collect your birthday cards from the authors.

With your workshop story, you can then enter the January 2008 Challenge.

If you have any questions, need help, or have a suggestion, please feel free to ask here in this thread, or to e-mail me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 3 - Imhiriel: I'd like to get drabbles from the PoV of something that normally has no voice - a tree, a building, an heirloom, a landscape, a constellation etc. - time or place don't matter, but the more unusual the PoV, the better.

January 7 - Jay of Lasgalen: As most people know, my favourites are Elladan and Elrohir - but I'd like a drabble about one of the twins, alone. I'll leave you to decide why, and where the other might be.

Re: January 2008 Birthdays

I always like reading stories told from an unusual perspective, and that's my request for this year: I'd like to get drabbles from the PoV of something that normally has no voice - a tree, a building, an heirloom, a landscape, a constellation etc. - time or place don't matter, but the more unusual the PoV, the better. My birthday is on January 3rd.

Imhiriel 

My birthday is 7th January.  As most people know, my favourites are Elladan and Elrohir - but I'd like a drabble about one of the twins, alone.   I'll leave you to decide why, and where the other might be.

Jay

For Imhiriel

Let me be the first to bring a gift!

Waiting

Deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they built us; but they are gone. They are gone." - Legolas, The Ring Goes South, FOTR.

The whole place is mourning, and so am I. I feel it in the hard earth that lies beneath me and the harsh wind and rain of the north that slowly take me apart. Bit by bit for many hundreds of years. The many-rayed star that once was so proudly chiseled upon my surface is now faded and no more than a memory - but I remember.

And there are others that also seem to remember. They come here, but no more than three or four at a time. Then they wander among the ruins and sometimes even caress me - and I know them. They remind me of the people that used to dance in the hall I once belonged to. But there is no more dancing now. Just silence.

So I lie here and wait silently for the day when I am lifted up again to form a new hall, a new city by the great lake. Until then I am nothing more than a forgotten stone.

The Kindly Airs - for Imhiriel

Happy early birthday, Imhiriel! 

- Dwim

The Kindly Airs

Long had her sisters run free in the world – from the ice wastes to the southernmost seas, fringing the borders of the fenced and fearful land, bringing the salt-sting kiss of Súlimo even there – and Men rejoiced to call upon them.

She longed to come sweet off their tongues, but woe-laden with roiled earth, her coming brought curses or silence.

But lo! The Dark Land shudders – a weight of wickedness falls free and she with it! Exultant, she rises, catches the laboring Eagles and their burdens, singing:

I, I at last shall bear you hence – our good news!

"'You left the East Wind to me,' said Gimli, 'but I will say naught of it.'

"'That is as it should be,' said Aragorn. 'In Minas Tirith they endure the East Wind, but they do not ask it for tidings...." - "The Departure of Boromir," TTT.

Re: For Imhiriel

Ooh, nice! The Door of Dúrin gets a voice!

Dwim 

Waiting

Oh, Vilwarin, this is beautiful! I was very moved, and it was indeed a very special PoV - it was fun to puzzle it out.

It's difficult to pick out a favourite line, but perhaps this is it:
Then they wander among the ruins and sometimes even caress me - and I know them.

Thank you very much, and a Happy New Year to you!

Imhiriel

P.S.: I have created a workshop story for my birthday cards here. Would you please put your story in there?

Re: The Kindly Airs - for Imhiriel

The Kindly Airs

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Dwim, and thank you very much for this lovely and poignant birthday drabble! What a fascinating PoV to pick!

I loved the alliteration! I don't know if I'm imagining things, but I feel as if you deliberately picked out many words with "s" and "f" sounds so it really reads like a wind is speaking...

I know you can speak a little German, Dwim, so I wish you "Ein frohes Neues Jahr!"

Imhiriel

P.S.: Would you please put your drabble in my workshop story here?

Oh, Vilwarin, this is beautiful! I was very moved, and it was indeed a very special PoV - it was fun to puzzle it out.

How great you liked it. My first version had the stone named in the first sentence. Then t was pointed out to me that it would be fun to puzzle it out. Now I know how right she was.

Thank you very much, and a Happy New Year to you!

You are welcome. Und ein frohes Neues Jahr (und natürlich auch Lebensjahr) wünsch ich dir natürlich auch. Smile

Hi Imhiriel,

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Dwim

You're welcome!

I loved the alliteration! I don't know if I'm imagining things, but I feel as if you deliberately picked out many words with "s" and "f" sounds so it really reads like a wind is speaking...

I'd love to take credit for this, but it was a happy accident. Or else my unconscious is sneakier than the rest of me knows.

I know you can speak a little German, Dwim,

Leider, immer noch kaum - habe ich es nicht genug praktiziert!

so I wish you "Ein frohes Neues Jahr!"

Danke sehr! Dir auch wunsche ich glückliches Neues Jahr und viel Glück zum Geburtstag!

TTFN,

Dwim

Here, Imhiriel.  You know me--I don't do much in the way of true drabbles.  I only hope it pleases you.  Larner

I Stand No Longer Alone

It is long since I have rejoiced to serve my function.  None save those who clean and polish have ascended my stairs or touched me for what?  A millennium?  And if a careless hand has left a smear of dust, who would know?

But this time it was not but a single servant while the Steward was in Council, but several under the direction of the Seneschal himself that saw to my needs, who dusted and wiped over me a sweet-scented wax.  The windows have been cleaned that the light will fall upon me as soon as Anor rises over the Ephel Dúath.  And the hands that touch me are not perfunctory or melancholy, but quick and thorough, and I hear about me the deep speech of menservants, the light trill of maids, reverent enough yet their voices filled with--anticipation!

Flowers are brought into the Hall as has not been done since the death of the last Lady of this House.  All of the lamps are filled with oil, and candles set in great stands.  My steps are swept, then swept once more, and then another time as if to make up for all the neglect and to fill hours of waiting ere some great event comes.  And those who clean and wax the great statues even sing as they labor and are not reproved for disturbing the solemnity surrounding me.

Wait--there are footsteps approaching the doors--such footsteps as I've not felt for so long!  Almost I recognize the tread--but I must be mistaken.  Certainly if this one had come before he would not have bypassed me as was done then.  There is a thrill of music as silver trumpets ring out within the room as has not been done for almost longer than I remember.  The doors open, and voices spill into the room, songs and laughter, excitement and uncertainty.  And behind the rest that regular, purposeful step--one that has the stones of the city itself ringing with joy!

He approaches, and all go silent, waiting.  Will he genuflect to the dais and then take his place, as has been done so often, in the ebony chair on the bottom step?  Nay--he pauses looking up at me, then begins to mount the stairs.  Are you worthy, Man?  Are you daunted by my height?  My venerable status?

He climbs steadily, patiently.  I wait.  And at last he stands, looking down at me.  No young Man this; but where perhaps he should be venerable himself I sense the purpose seen in those of middle years.  He looks down at me as he lifts the hangers for his sword from his belt, and I sense he has as many questions about me as I have of him.  He takes a deep breath, turns, and--and sits!

His boots have trodden many lands, and there hangs about him the scent of running waters crossed, forests and mountains traversed, and the smoke of many fires and smoldering leaves that have warmed him within and without.  And he rests across my arms the sheath of a sword--a sword that is far more ancient than I, itself but recently renewed.

And I proudly uphold him and the Light he bears.  Few have sat here, and he is the first in a thousand years.  Had I a voice I would sing in joy--in joy that the King indeed is come again!  Together, Man, you and I--we will see this land renewed!

You are welcome. Und ein frohes Neues Jahr (und natürlich auch Lebensjahr) wünsch ich dir natürlich auch. Smile

I have just looked at your bio and only now realised you're from Germany, too! D'uh! Vielen Dank für die guten Wünsche!

Imhiriel

Or else my unconscious is sneakier than the rest of me knows.

Dwim, take care! You have a nuzgûl sitting right there in your subconscious...

Leider, immer noch kaum - habe ich es nicht genug praktiziert!
[...]
Danke sehr! Dir auch wunsche ich glückliches Neues Jahr und viel Glück zum Geburtstag!

Well...Considering the fact you're out of practice, this was really not bad - just a very few little mistakes!

Imhiriel

I only hope it pleases you.

It does indeed, Larner, very much so!
I'm so happy I chose this prompt for this year's birthday - what fantastic presents I've received!

I Stand No Longer Alone

It's a very sensual piece, in the sense that you really evoke all the senses - the light through the windows, the scent of the wax, the sound of Aragorn's footsteps and the City celebrating the Returned King...

And I especially like the paragraph beginning with His boots have trodden many lands...

Thank you for this lovely birthday gift!

Imhiriel

Happy Birthday, Jay of Lasgalen!

Hi Jay!

Well, thank you for such a meaty birthday request; I didn't expect it to inspire a brand new chapter of my drabble series, but it did!

I hope you don't mind sharing your birthday gift with Fell and Fair?

This chapter is not posted yet, and won't be until I write some author's notes.... The setting is Rivendell during the Fourth Age; a dream has prompted Elladan and Elrohir to face their decision whether to sail West or not, and each is pondering his choice on his own. The first drabble already existed, but is repeated here to set up the scene.

I hope you enjoy these, Jay, and a very Happy Birthday to you!

- Barbara

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Elrohir, late afternoon

Sweating freely, I scale the sheer rock face. The familiar roar of the waterfall nearby bespeaks home to me: where always we return, no matter how wearied or how far astray. At last, I clamber onto the pine-shaded rim.

Imladris.

Our birthplace nestles below, secluded yet welcoming. Slanting sunbeams gild the rooftops scattered amongst the beeches. The brink of the ravine casts a shadow along the loud-flowing Bruinen.

Though our valley appears unaltered, our world has forever changed.

As I ponder, the evening gloom creeps towards the house, stealthy and unyielding.

If we sail, will we ever again find home?

Glorfindel, that night

Belegroch picks his way along the cliffside, headstall jingling. Despite the darkness, I trust him to sense a safe route for us.

Whenever Elladan wants to mull over important matters, he seeks his mount and gallops fast and far. His brother prefers to challenge his own body.

In childhood, Elrohir would climb the bell-tower, alarming Celebrían. Now, he pits his skill against the steep cliffs of Imladris. It helps him reflect... yet when he stays atop for so long, his musing turns to brooding.

I will join him. Though he resists, talking over what troubles him often raises his spirits.

Glorfindel, with Elrohir

I settle myself next to Elrohir, confident of a moody reception.

"Gil-Estel seems especially close tonight," I remark, "almost within reach."

Eärendil progresses along his star-strewn path.

Elrohir sighs. "I sometimes wonder whether a real person could sail the skies in a ship... or is he a myth? Did you encounter Eärendil in Aman?"

"No." I chuckle. "I was elsewhere when the Valar launched Vingilot. But the Mariner does indeed steer it — remember how he felled Ancalagon? Your father witnessed it himself."

Glancing sideways, I add, "And he would truly rejoice to meet his grandsons in the Blessed Realm."

Silence.

Elrohir, with Glorfindel

"Do you ever miss Gondolin?"

"Every day."

"How can you bear never seeing it again?"

"I carry its memory with me always, in my heart. The city was magnificent — but what made it home was the people I loved there.

"And I have had several homes, each one dear to me."

A sudden thought disconcerts me. "Would you reestablish the Golden Flower in Aman?"

He squeezes my shoulder. "Whether I dwell with the House of Elrond or not, I will always be nearby. How could I settle far from the mewling infants who grew into staunch warriors while I watched?"

Elrohir

My eyes moisten. "You are no mere onlooker, my dear friend and mentor!"

His smile brightens.

I compose myself to ask, "Why have you not married?"

"Because, like you, I dedicated myself to a task of great consequence." He sounds wistful. "When it is complete, I will be free to seek a kindred soul."

"And what task is that?"

"To guard the immortal line of Turgon in Middle-earth."

I blink. "But... what if either of us chooses mortality? Would you leave him here alone?"

"No. I would bury him. And then I would grieve."

Finally, my tears begin to spill.

Glorfindel

I hold Elrohir as he at last mourns for the losses he will face — whether he leaves or lingers.

Elrond's sons are loath to abandon Imladris, knowing no other home.

But neither are they aware yet how much the gradual fading of Middle-earth is wearing them down. Elladan is far thinner than when Elrond sailed, Elrohir's melancholy more frequent.

I ache to comfort him with assurances that both can find renewal in the Blessed Lands — to extol its healing virtues — but I deem it not my place to influence their decision.

Yet however they choose, I will stand by them.

Ah, Vilwarin--this is so perfect, although in this case it sounds as if the stone is from Annuminas, and looks to be used once more in the rebuilding of the northern capital.  And I love the Star of Earendil having been chiseled upon it.

Re: Happy Birthday, Jay of Lasgalen!

Barbara - what can I say?  Thank you, thank you so much!  These are just wonderful.  I love how Glorfindel knows both twins so well, and their differences in responding when troubled.

Elrohir's melancholy is so strong I can feel it - how can he choose between the only home he has ever known, but dying; or immortal life in a land he has never seen?  I've always wanted to believe that the twins chose to sail, but this puts the cost of their choice very clearly and starkly.

Glorfindel's loyalty and steadfastness is wonderful. His role is to guard their line forever - but he does it out of love, not duty.

Thank you!

Jay :>)

For Imhiriel - 'Forged In Fire'

I always like reading stories told from an unusual perspective, and that's my request for this year: I'd like to get drabbles from the PoV of something that normally has no voice - a tree, a building, an heirloom, a landscape, a constellation etc. - time or place don't matter, but the more unusual the PoV, the better. My birthday is on January 3rd.

Imhiriel 

Forged in fire and flame, deep in the volcano's heart.  He takes me into His hand, onto His finger …

We are together.

Cold metal sunders us; colder waters.  For long ages I lie in bitter streams; bereft, abandoned;  until one comes who might take me back.

He is useless, skulking in darkness.  Abandoning him, I seek another, and another – until I can feel Him near at hand.  I draw closer, back to the furnace of my birth, so close … 

Heat engulfs me, too fierce.  Without Him to temper it, I cannot endure.  Too hot, too hot, too …

Happy Birthday, Imhiriel!

Jay

Ah, Vilwarin--this is so perfect, although in this case it sounds as if the stone is from Annuminas, and looks to be used once more in the rebuilding of the northern capital.  And I love the Star of Earendil having been chiseled upon it.

Thank you. It is indeed supposed to be a stone from Annúminas. You've puzzled it out very well.Wink

Re: For Imhiriel - 'Forged In Fire'

Jay, your piece gave me the shivers. I think this POV has been done before, but yours is really great.

Oh, Barbara, these are beautiful! I loved the first one, with the lovely description of Imladris, and the others for the moving interaction between the characters.

Imhiriel 

Forged In Fire

Owww, Jay, you made me feel pity for the Ring! How did you do that?

Thank you very much for these haunting thoughts from such a specific PoV! 

Would you please add the story to my workshop?

Imhiriel 

Hi Jay!

Barbara - what can I say? Thank you, thank you so much! These are just wonderful.

I'm so glad you enjoyed them!

I love how Glorfindel knows both twins so well, and their differences in responding when troubled.

LOL! Yes, I'm sure there must be advantages to watching someone grow from an infant... and doing it over thousands of years.

I'm glad you don't mind that Glorfindel insisted upon elbowing his way into this scene... once he's set on something, he always gets his way....

... how can he choose between the only home he has ever known, but dying; or immortal life in a land he has never seen? I've always wanted to believe that the twins chose to sail, but this puts the cost of their choice very clearly and starkly.

Thank you! It's not something that I really thought about before starting this series (other than yes, I agree that it would be a serious waste of Half-elven hunkiness if they didn't sail west and live forever...). But after a while I realized that there would be a cost for leaving as well as one for staying....

Glorfindel's loyalty and steadfastness is wonderful. His role is to guard their line forever - but he does it out of love, not duty.

Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to convey!

I had a thought (nuzgûl?) recently: wasn't Eärendil still a child when Gondolin fell? So Glorfindel missed the chance to see him grow... whereas he did (in my universe -- after all, Tolkien never said definitively when he returned to Middle-earth) get to witness Elladan, Elrohir, and Arwen being born and growing into adults. I think that would make them very special in his eyes.

Anyway, I'm glad you like these, Jay. When I post the chapter in F&F, I will be sure dedicate it to you in the author's notes.

Happy Birthday!

- Barbara

Hi Imhiriel!

Oh, Barbara, these are beautiful! I loved the first one, with the lovely description of Imladris, and the others for the moving interaction between the characters.

Thank you so much! I was really pleased how they came out... and blame it all on Jay's interesting prompt.

Speaking of prompts, you have gotten so many beautiful and fascinating responses from yours! These are so good, that I hesitate to post the one I've been working on... but I will venture to do so, anyway....

- Barbara

Happy Birthday, Imhiriel!

Hi Imhiriel!

I'd like to get drabbles from the PoV of something that normally has no voice... time or place don't matter, but the more unusual the PoV, the better.

Sorry to be late with this one, but I think I finally managed to get my muse to stop mumbling incoherently... after wrestling with him for days (bad Glorfindel! no Dorwinion for you! and pouting will not work this time)....

I do hope you enjoy it, Imhiriel, and a very Happy Birthday to you!

- Barbara

Edit: P.S. I removed the notes, so people can have a chance to guess who the character is.....

Renewal

In flame was I wrought; by flame renewed:

Fired. Red-hot coals purify my flesh, devouring traces of tainted blood.

Beaten. Heavy hammer-strokes meld my broken bones.

Folded. My spine stiffens, fusing strength upon strength.

Again and again do I suffer this handling, until...

Quenched. I hiss at the shocking chill, tightening my sinews.

Polished. My burnished skin glitters, runes of protection flashing.

Sharpened. Keen is my bite.

By my maker's skill am I hardened on the outside, flexible within — reflecting the radiance of Anar, the resilience of Isil.

After an Age of shame, I am once more fit to serve.

Re: Happy Birthday, Imhiriel!

Oh, what a wonderful piece, Barbara. You captured Narsil so well!

Thanks.  I'm sure the Ring must have been done before, but it was interesting trying to get into the POV.

It gave you the shivers?  I take that as a compliment!

Jay ;)

Thank you!  It was difficult to think from the Ring's POV, until I realised that it's not evil in itself - all it wants is to be reunited with Sauron, and will do anything to achieve that.

Would you please add the story to my workshop?   Done!

Narsil! 

What a wonderful POV, and I love the process of reforging it, described so imtimately.

Renewal

This is wonderful, Barbara, thank you very much!

I love the rhythm of it, and the... hm...distinctness? of the technical terms at the beginning of each paragraph. And the contrast between these technical terms and the descriptions of the sword that sound almost like that of a living being.

Would you please add the drabble to my workshop story, as well?

Imhiriel

P.S.: And tell your Glorfindel muse he can't play in every story of yours, he has to let others have their fun, too, from time to time ...

Reflection - For Imhiriel

She comes - descending the stairs with silent grace, and a chill envelops me to see the furrow of her lovely brow. So fair is she, so wise; and I who once took such delight in her gaze am now incapable of easing her ever wearied and careworn spirit. Her eyes, at one time filled with thoughtful contemplation, hold only sadness and concern. I wish I had comfort to offer, but in these troubled times there is none. The silver stream water fills me, she searches my depths. Shadows swirl within. Would I were not the bearer of this doom!

Re: Reflection - For Imhiriel

Oh, this is wonderful. I'd never have thought to write from the POV of Galadriel's mirror!

Jay

Jay,

Thanks so much! I had acctually considered writing about the one ring, but you did such a marvelous job with that one I decided on Galadriel's mirror instead. Now if I can just think of one about the twins for you... Smile

Mike

What an intriguing PoV, Mike! Thank you very much!

You can really sense the concern of the mirror for Galadriel's worries...

Would you please add the story to my workshop?

Imhiriel

Imhiriel,

Oh, I'm so glad you like this one! Thanks!

I'll be happy to add it, but I'll have to read the tutorial again. It's been awhile since the drabble muse has struck. Smile

Mike

Hi Mike,

it's really not difficult; if you don't mind, I can "guide" you through the few steps necessary.

1. Go to my birthday workshop here.
2. Above the existing chapters, there is a link "Add Chapter" on the right-hand side. Choose your preference "HTML" or "Text".
3. Add the text of your story into the box. Don't forget the title! And it might be a good idea to add "by IgnobleBard" after the title and/or after the story text (so it is clear who wrote it).
4. Choose Chapter Status "Public".
5. Go to the top and select "Back to Story Overview".
6. IIRC, your story has now the chapter "0". Please select the next-high number of the ones already existing, and click on "Reorder Chapter".

That's it!

Imhiriel
...briefly donning her HASA Birthday Cards Volunteer Hat...

Imhiriel,

That worked beautifully! What a good teacher you are. Thanks for the assistance, I appreciate it. You have some very good stories here. Hope you had a happy birthday.

Mike

Hello Mike,

That worked beautifully! What a good teacher you are. Thanks for the assistance, I appreciate it.

I'm glad I could help (both as a volunteer and as the one who gets one more lovely birthday present in her workshop story ))!

You have some very good stories here.

Yes, I agree. I'm very, very happy with these birthday gifts!

Hope you had a happy birthday.

I did - thank you!

Imhiriel

A Final Toast - For Jay of Lasgalen

Jay,

This couldn't be any later, could it? Sorry, but I had a little trouble with the theme. I'm not sure this makes much sense it's so short, but I hope it will do.

Mike

A Final Toast

He was old now, his dark hair shot through with grey, his step slow and lacking the fluidity of his youth, but his smile could still light Arwen's heart. He was her first love, teacher and protector, her big brother, Elladan. 

"A toast, to absent friends," he said, raising his glass, resting his other hand affectionately on her shoulder.

Arwen's eyes glittered with unshed tears. "So many gone," she said, raising her glass as well, "except for you, the one constant in my life. To you, Elladan." 

They drank. Elladan smiled his perfect smile.  

It was their last time together.

Re: A Final Toast - For Jay of Lasgalen

*Sniff*

Oh, how sad to see an aged, mortal Elladan!  This last moment with Arwen is wonderful.  They both seem so alone, yet they still have each other. It's so sad though, as they remember the ones they have lost and both face death.  *Sob*

Thank you, Mike - I love it.  And late never matters!!

Jay

Jay,

Yea! I was afraid it might be too short to get the point across. I struggled with how to do something with just one twin and I thought a drabble with Arwen would be nice. I can see the twins staying on to look after her, even though she was married and had children. Just a nice sibling moment.

I hope your b-day was a happy one! Smile

Barbara, Mike,

would you please put your birthday gifts for Jay into her workshop story here?

Jay,

if you intend to enter the January Challenge: you can already do so now, without having to wait for the authors to add their stories. If you don't intend to enter the challenge, please let me know in the next few days.

Imhiriel
...donning her Volunteer hat and getting the natty feather in her nose in the process...

???????

Oh!  I see - I thought creating the workshop was the same as entering the challenge ...

(enters challenge and slinks away in confusion ...)

Jay

Hello Jay,

no, a workshop story is just like any other story - the only difference is that others can work on them (add chapters, edit etc.), not only the one who created it. And as always, if you want to participate in a challenge, you have to enter the story in it (see also the starting post of this thread).

I hope that clears things up Wink! And thank you for adding the story to the challenge!

Imhiriel
HASA Birthday Cards Volunteer

[Edited slightly... because, just how often can you say "the story" before it becomes repetitive?Cool]

A very belated birthday drabble for Imhiriel

Sorry it's so late, Imhiriel, but RL has been unrelenting and my saga has needed all the time I could give it.

Besides, this is the first drabble I've ever written.  Smile  I'm used to much longer forms.

Hope you like it!

Adaneth

Loudwater

Drift of rain or drift of snow; trickling down rock, seeping through stone . . . welling as springs into sunlight.  Babble over boulders long-rounded by my passage--placid in pools where trout lurk, sharp-eyed for prey--the rushing fall over ledges stubborn to last, steps down towards rushy swan-pools.  Far, far to go, carrying news of the land to the Sea.

The Master's foreboding clots and clogs my current.  Neat hooves cleave me at the Ford--then foul, foundered feet of black nags.  White-maned waves scour my bed clean of their touch, preserving the haven of the Mariner's son.

Re: A very belated birthday drabble for Imhiriel

Adaneth,

Loudwater

This is your first drabble? I am in awe! *thinks back to her first efforts, and blushes*

Seriously, Adaneth, this is beautiful... and a fascinating point of view.

Imhiriel's prompt has spawned some really great drabbles....

Well done!

- Barbara

Loudwater

Adaneth, this is absolutely beautiful! When I read the e-mail notification, I just sat there at my desk for a minute, mouth open, reveling in the words...

Clearly, you have to write more drabbles !

The language is so absolutely lovely, and it fits perfectly (especially with the alliterations) for the voice of a river - you can really "hear" it tumbling along among the rocks and boulders in its course...

Would you please add it to my workshop story here?

Imhiriel

What a wonderful voice for the Bruinen!  Such wonderful description and point of view - I love the alliteration of 'babble over boulders' and 'placid in pools', and the image of 'rushy swan-pools.'

Simply beautiful!  This is your first drabble?  I'm amazed!!

Jay

Well, I have read a lot of drabbles around this place . . . .  Grin  You've all been good models.

I'm glad you like it, Imhiriel.  I will get around to adding it to your workshop eventually (and I still need to add my short to Aranel's)--hopefully during Spring Break.

Thank you, Elena Tiriel and Jay.  I enjoy your drabbles, so this is praise indeed!  Maybe I will write some more drabbles; we'll see what the Muse is in the mood for.  At the moment, I fear the Dwarves are starting to feel neglected!

Cheers--

Adaneth

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum