Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: June 2005 Birthdays - 2

June 2005 Birthdays - 2

June 2005 Babies
Hey guys,

It's that time of the month again. With June just a few days away it's time to celebrate the births of those members born in this month.

Is your birthday in June? Would you like a drabble? Then post a request in this thread so other members can write you drabbles.

Birthday Drabble requesters - don't forget to add your story to the
HASA Birthday Cards workshop and enter it in the June Birthday Challenge

Birthday Drabble Writers - don't forget to add your drabbles to the recipient's story in the HASA Birthday Cards workshop

Instructions for Birthday Drabbling: complete and easy to follow instructions on the new system.

Marta

June 2 -- Gwynnyd: I was going to try and think up a very clever and unusual request, but now I don't wanna. I am stuck in a rut and so predictable. Give me Aragorn/Thorongil/Estel/Elessar in any way, shape, or form. Show him being silly, or lover-ly, or noble, or confronting some unusual experience, or meeting someone, or... well, anything. Thanks!

June 7 -- Avon: I'd love (to be predictable) Aragon and Legolas friendship. Book or movieverse is fine by me. If that's not your cup of tea then how about either Boromir and Theodred or Boromir and Faramir? No slash please.

June 7 -- SallyK : My birthday is the 7th June and I am a major Eowyn fan, so I would love anything about her - particularly if it is set after the destruction of the Ring.

June 9 -- AmandaK: Since my June is going to be dominated by music (as in 10 Duran Duran concerts in 3 weeks, in case anyone's interested) I would like to see a drabble about music. Preferably LotR-based since I have neither read The Hobbit or the Silm. Extra points if it features a live Boromir.

June 14 -- Shadowed Mind: I would love (if possible) either an Erestor/Glorfindel thing, very sweet and cuddly, or something very romantic and cute about any couple?

June 16 -- Edhellana: I'm a true Gemini (split personality and all! hehehe) So if someone can do a naughty NC-17 drabble with me and the Half-elven twins (Elladan and Elrohir), I would love it....*GRINS*

June 17 -- Linaewen: I would love to see some Boromir drabbles. It's hard to narrow down what I want to something specific, since Boromir anything is just what I like -- Boromir and hobbits, Boromir and Faramir, Boromir being noble and heroic, etc. etc. But if someone is feeling adventurous, why not try giving me some pre-Ring Quest drabbles of Boromir visiting Rohan or Boromir interacting with Gandalf or even Saruman -- extra points if you can get Faramir and a non-movie!verse Denethor in there.

Re: June Birthdays - Take 2

Shortcut was awesome, EdorasLass! Such a fun way to start the day. Now I feel the need to turn it into a cartoon. It would be so funny... Thanks! Starlight Thanks! Oooh, I'd love to see that cartoon! I just liked the idea of the two woodsy types getting mildly lost, just once. I *loved* Different! Oh, I loved it! It feels so in character to me! By now you probably know I just love Eomer and Lothiriel together, but this was wonderful. What a lovely, domestic moment to choose, and how well it lets you sketch all the characters' personalities. I loved it! Starlight Hee heee.... I figured since Eowyn ran the household for so long, she'd be a little possessive about anyone changing it, even the new Queen of Rohan. Ohh, spooky!!!! I remember how they thought what a great and terrible lord Aragorn would have been if he took the Ring. Do you think he could have carried it without wielding it? And Bilbo's interaction with Aragorn sounds so right. Thank you! Gwynnyd Some days I think it would never tempt Aragorn, simply because he would know that Arwen would never accept him if he got his power that way. And some days I think, "Sure! He'd have been all over that Ring action!" Actually, I started out fully intending to show Aragorn tempted -- but the muses didn't want to do that. Glad you liked it!

Happy Late Birthday, Gwynnyd

A late HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Gwynnyd! It's hard enough doing Aragorn Straight, I'm not ready to tackle him being Silly. But I've always thought he was incredibly powerful as a healer. Here's a moment in one of my favorite LOTR scenes - and only 100 words this time! RAKSHA THE DEMON INVOCATION Hail Estë, Healer of Hurts; to you I dedicate this work. Thank you, Master Elrond, for fostering me, giving me your knowledge, and teaching me the skill to use it. My thanks, Ecthelion, for treating me more like a son than a Captain. Denethor, would that I had come in time to save thee from despair! I could not heal thee; but I will heal thy son. His purpose renewed, Aragorn laid his hand on the wounded man’s sweat-drenched brow. I am coming for you, Faramir,, he gave one more silent vow. I will find you and bring you home.

Re: Happy Late Birthday, Gwynnyd

Awwww. I loved Invocation, Raksha! The last sentence was powerful. I like that scene too. ~Nienna

FOR GWYNND

Happy (if a bit belated) birthday, Gwynnd! I'm sorry that this isn't quite as refined as it could have been, but I didn't want to make you wait any longer! You may catch the shameless reference to Roverandom. Ahh yes, in Gondor, it's all about the monochromatics... I hope you like it! Not Quite Colorless The eyes of his people are grey and dark, slow to give away their secrets, as deep as the waters beneath the path of the moon on the sea. The hair of his people is raven black, shining like the rook on the chess-set, carved of deepest obsidian. The city of his people is white, like the bones of the earth itself, lying clean and exposed to the sun. But when the queen of his people passes before his eyes, all of his mind is filled only with colour.

Re: FOR GWYNND

Ooh, Eldamir - excellent use of black and white and grey. A wonderful and original concept. Nienna - thanx for the comment. In case you hadn't noticed, I'm rather partial to Faramir; and I love the scene where Aragorn heals him. EdorasLass - loved your "Different" drabble on the last thread - sometimes you can't go home again, or if you do, it's not just your home anymore. RAKSHA THE DEMON

Re: June Birthdays - A little late for Gwynnyd

Hello Gwynnyd! By golly...I shook loose my muse and managed to get something down and only a few days late! You wanted our Ranger of the multiple names...so I've done an Estel bordering on adulthood. Hope you enjoy, and that your day was a wonderful one! Cheers, Vistula ~~~~ A Special Day A youth freshly touched by manhood, he stood there both alone and lonely while water lapped bare skin kissed to glowing by the sun. Brow furrowed in thought, he stared into a cascade of droplets, his fingers absently stroking the pool’s surface, leaving trails of ripples in their wake. Suddenly he spun about, grey eyes alert. Scenting the breeze like a young buck that senses nearby danger, he searched the shadowy foliage. At the sight of golden hair, he grinned, delighted. “Ai Legolas! You did come!” “‘Tis your coming of age, mellon-nin,” the Elf reminded. “How could I miss it?”

Re: June Birthdays--for Gwynnyd

Gwynnyd: You sure got a load of wonderful birthday gifts! I practically feel like it's my own birthday, since, of course, I would pick the same subject you did. I REALLY loved that Telcontar bit. I can just see Faramir wrinkling his brow, "Whaat?" I always figured this was a sure sign that Aragorn had a great sense of humor. He would probably think that Denethor had a point about the "ragged house" "long bereft of dignity and lordship." I mean, you can't sleep for decades in mud and be regarded by respectable villagers as a disreputable vagabond without that. Anyway, it's part of his mystique, it doesn't change his own assessment of who he is. Comments on some questions that came up along the way: I've got a whole AU story about Aragorn's childhood in Rivendell that answers many of the questions that you all are asking about it, but they're not Tolkien-canon answers. Rather, in line with my blasphemy that the Elves are like the Tuatha de Danaan. Frankly, one of the reasons I developed the blasphemy was that I couldn't come up with good answers that fit in Tolkien's book-verse. 1. Like, what about all the Rangers passing through Rivendell during Estel's childhood? 2. And wouldn't he know he was the heir of Isildur, since all the other ones grew up there from childhood? My answers: 1. Elrond took him without consulting the Rangers and hid him from them, and never admitted he was even there at all. The ultimate secrecy to protect Aragorn's life (which Tolkien does say). Gilraen, of course, has her problems with this, but she accepts it for her son's sake. (Actually, this does not contradict the wording in "The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen," which says only, "Aragorn, being now the Heir of Isildur, was taken with his mother to dwell in the house of Elrond." But I'm not going to argue that it should be interpreted my way, I know that's not what Tolkien meant.) 2. The Heirs of Isildur usually come to Rivendell only as young adolescents (actually, Tolkien never says what the age was, so this could be canon), and are not brought there with their mothers. So Aragorn is the only one who is actually "raised by Elves" and this fact does not tip him off to his identity. It follows, also, that his relationship with Elrond and with Elladan and Elrohir is also much closer than the other Chieftains. This is blasphemy, as I freely admit, but it has great story potential, at least in my eyes (I'm working on one). Anyway, I'd be very interested in other takes on the same problems. I hope your birthday was truly as splendid as all your gifts! And thank you, HASA people, one and all. Gandalfs apprentice

Hey, Gandalfs apprentice!

Edoraslass here in my capacity of Welcome Manager. Your e-mail alerts are getting bounced back with a reason of "undeliverable - unknown user". Please send me an e-mail through the contact form so's we can get this straightened out and you can get all your alerts. Thanks!

Re: Hey, Gandalfs apprentice!

This is a test. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Amaaaanda!

As threatened promised, here is your lyric-ful birthday slightly-more-than-a-double-drabble. Anyone who spots all lyrics used is as big of a geek as me. Though I did have to go into the albums to jog my memory. Thanks to Liz for letting me steal her idea! editfor format 80 Standing on the edge of the quay, moonlight splashing on the water. Seagulls gather on the wind. Somewhere in the distance, he can hear Faramir singing "…and she dances on the sand..." He wakes, thinking of their mother and the summers they spent in Dol Amroth. He can smell rain on the breeze, and he lays in his bedroll, waiting for the sound of thunder. His stomach rumbles, and suddenly he wants fresh bread, still hot from the oven. Save me from these reminders, he thinks wearily. Today will be the 80th day since he left Minas Tirith. He feels he is no nearer to his destination. You will find Imladris, Boromir, his brother told him with a confident smile. Just follow the light of Eärendil. Ah, Faramir, he thinks as he rises slowly to his feet. I don’t know how to believe in your advice. The rain comes gently, and he wipes away the water from his face, scowling at the sky. He is struck with an abrupt, crushing wave of homesickness, of loneliness, and, for the briefest instant, considers turning back. But the lights of hope are fading quickly for Gondor. He must go on, for if he does not, the light will be extinguished forever.

Re: Amaaaanda!

I didn't know Finduilas was also named "Rio" (Her name is Rio, and she dances on the sand...)! Poor lonely Boromir. Nice drabble! RAKSHA THE DEMON

Re: Amaaaanda!

I didn't know Finduilas was also named "Rio" (Her name is Rio, and she dances on the sand...)! Hee heee......for some reason, that line just screamed "Dol Amroth" at me! Thanks, Raksha!

Re: Gwynnyd

June 2 -- Gwynnyd: I was going to try and think up a very clever and unusual request, but now I don't wanna. I am stuck in a rut and so predictable. Give me Aragorn/Thorongil/Estel/Elessar in any way, shape, or form. Show him being silly, or lover-ly, or noble, or confronting some unusual experience, or meeting someone, or... well, anything. Thanks! My muse was on vacation; sorry it is late. Ranger1 Names “What do you want us to call you?” the Elf asked. “Yes, now that you know you get to pick.” His twin added. The young Man stroked the neck of the horse, “Estel, Aragorn, I am not sure who I am.” Well we could call you the name we like best.” Elladan smirked. The Man’s eyes narrowed, “What is it?” “Pain-in-the … “ Elrohir broke off and ran for the stable door as the Man moved. “With the way you run, would you accept Strider as a compromise?” Elladan asked pleadingly as their adopted brother lifted the shovel full of it.

For Gwynnyd - Little Estel Ficlet

June 2 -- Gwynnyd: I was going to try and think up a very clever and unusual request, but now I don't wanna. I am stuck in a rut and so predictable. Give me Aragorn/Thorongil/Estel/Elessar in any way, shape, or form. Show him being silly, or lover-ly, or noble, or confronting some unusual experience, or meeting someone, or... well, anything. Thanks! Sorry this is late - I'd submitted it for review, and didn't think I should publish it here at the same time. It's been approved, so here is your birthday request! It shows Estel with one of his brothers. Jay Star Gazing Elrohir walked slowly along the woodland paths, and looked down at the young boy skipping at his side, clutching his hand. “Slow down, Estel! There is no rush – the meadow will still be there. Be patient.” “But I want to see now!” Estel demanded plaintively. Elrohir smiled. “Very well. Run ahead – but not too far! Wait for me. Go no further than the edge of the trees.” To his surprise, Estel did not immediately run on, but hung back, still close to his side. “Well?” he asked his brother. “What now?” “I can’t see,” Estel muttered. “It’s too dark!” Elrohir felt guilty. He sometimes forgot that his little brother did not have the night-sight of elves – even three-quarter elves. Estel was so much a part of the family that his human blood was often overlooked. He laughed, and swung Estel into his arms. “Then shall we run?” he asked. “Together?” They ran along the track to the edge of the wood, and emerged onto a meadow that led down to the Bruinen. Setting Estel on his feet again, Elrohir led the way to the centre of the meadow, and spread the blanket he carried on the ground. “Lay down,” he instructed, “and look up.” Estel obeyed, laying with his hands clasped behind his head, gazing at the night sky. The night was cloudless and moonless, and the stars shone brightly against the darkness. Elrohir joined him, and they lay in a companionable silence for a while, listening to the quiet sounds of the night. Before long however, Estel stirred restlessly, and turned his head. “Well? Tell me about the stars!” Elrohir laughed quietly. “Very well,” he agreed. “Look there.” He pointed to a reddish-coloured star. “That is Borgil. And there – ” he pointed again – “is Menelvagor. Do you see the sword hanging from his belt? Legends tell that he was a very great warrior; so great that when he finally fell in battle the Valar honoured him by making him a star to guard the skies.” “What is that star?” Estel asked, indicating a brightly shining star low in the sky. “Is there a legend about that as well?” “That is Eärendil,” Elrohir replied softly. “There are many legends about him. He was a sailor, sailing the seas off Arvernien. He built a wonderful ship named Vingilot, and sailed far and wide, exploring many strange and wondrous lands. He married a maiden called Elwing, and they had twin sons.” “Like you and Elladan!” Estel exclaimed. “Yes, just like us,” Elrohir agreed. His voice fell. “But war came, and they were separated – Eärendil from Elwing; Elwing from her sons. Eärendil sailed across the seas to beg the Valar themselves for aid. They did indeed help, and evil was overcome – but at a great price. Eärendil could not return to Arda, and instead was set to sail the heavens in his ship, lighting the evening sky.” Estel was silent for a while. “What a sad story,” he said at last. “Poor Eärendil – he lost his wife and his children. Did they all die?” “No. His sons were not slain, as he must have feared. They lived, and grew strong, and their descendants live to this day. And Eärendil watches over them all, keeping them safe.” Elrohir paused. Now was not the time to explain just who Eärendil’s sons were; that he and Estel themselves were both descendants of the legendary mariner of the skies. That was a tale to be told another day. Estel smiled. “I like that part better. I like the idea of Eärendil watching over everyone.” He yawned suddenly, and Elrohir got to his feet, pulling his brother up. “Come, little brother. It is time for bed. Father will have my ears if I keep you up too late!” Estel laughed. “I like it when you call me ‘little brother’. It’s what Elladan always calls you!” “Aye.” Elrohir smiled. “When he wants to annoy me – he thinks I do not like it. In truth, I do not mind at all. But keep that a secret between us, I beg of you! Now come, little brother – to bed,” he added firmly. With the blanket draped around Estel’s shoulders against the slight chill of night, Elrohir led the way back through the woods to the brightly lit, welcoming house that was home to them both.

Heehee - I like this! I like the twins teasing Aragorn/Strider here. Well done. Jay

But I've always thought he was incredibly powerful as a healer. And you have certainly given him a powerful Invocation! What a strong image you've conjured of Aragorn mustering his resources and preparing to save Faramir. It's one I'll treasure! Thank you! Gwynnyd

Re: drabbles for Gwynnyd and Amanda

So many great drabbles - it's such a pleasure to share in everyone else's birthday presents. Of the ones for Gwynnyd, I particularly loved Raksha's Invocation - wonderfully done - and Ranger1's Names was hilarious! EdorasLass, I bow down in awe at your masteryy. 80 was quite superb. Goodness, Amanda is going to be so happy to come back from her concerts and discover we've quietly hijacked HASA and turned it into a Duran Duran fansite. Edit: oops, and I meant to say I LOVED "Different" - such a wonderful insight into all three characters in so few words Cheers, Liz

For SallyK 7 June

SallyK said My birthday is the 7th June and I am a major Eowyn fan, so I would love anything about her - particularly if it is set after the destruction of the Ring. Of course, Faramir tried to hijack this, but I hope I put him suitably in his place. No errand to the South They watch the two kings lead their troops down the South-road. Faramir puts his arms around her. As she leans back against him, she feels him sigh. “Do you miss it?” She half turns to peer up at his face. “Going to war?” His expression clouds, shadowed by old pains. Then he smiles. “No.” His hold on her tightens. “Do you?” She looks back at the well-tended fields spread before her, the paddocks filled with foals, the sun-warmed walled herb garden. The happy laughter of their children rises from nearby. “No.” She is startled by the contentment in her reply. Happy Birthday! Cheers, Liz

Re: FOR GWYNND

Ahh yes, in Gondor, it's all about the monochromatics... I hope you like it! Oh YES!!!! A stark and elegant contrast to his brightly colored love! Excellent. Thank you! Gwynnyd

Re: June Birthdays - A little late for Gwynnyd

Hope you enjoy, and that your day was a wonderful one! Is it hot in here? I feel a bit flushed all of a sudden... Sigh. Oh, yes, VERY nice! Thank you! Gwynnyd

This is blasphemy, as I freely admit, but it has great story potential, at least in my eyes (I'm working on one). Anyway, I'd be very interested in other takes on the same problems. You say this to the person who firmly believes that Estel was thought of as "Gilraen's bastard son" while he was growing up, which I'm sure is even more blasphemous. I will SSP Not Without Hope which is my story that tries to explain why it was 'reasonable' to try and hide Aragorn and his mother in the obvious place. (and we should probably move this thread to a different forum if we are going to pursue this ...) My birthday has been splendid because of the marvelous gifts I've received here! Thank you all! Gwynnyd

My muse was on vacation; sorry it is late. Oh, but well worth waiting for! I've mucked out a lot of stables (and been hit unexpectedly in the chest with a shovelful myself) so I have a great deal of empathy for poor Elladan. "Strider" seems like a great compromise to me! Thank you for that wonderful moment! Gwynnyd

Re: For Gwynnyd - Little Estel Ficlet

It's been approved, so here is your birthday request! It shows Estel with one of his brothers. Awwww... that is really sweet. I especially liked the part where Estel admits he can't see in the dark and gets picked up and run with to the meadow. That showed the family relationship so clearly and gave an insight into how different little Estel's upbringing was from a normal mannish one. Thank you! And congratulations on it being 'approved'! Gwynnyd

Gwynnyd; glad you enjoyed INVOCATION - I'm a sucker for Faramir/Aragorn friendship stories, and that healing scene is soooo powerful it's an easy inspiration. Aragorn impresses me even more as a healer than as a warrior; though his fighting abilities are certainly useful...Hope you had a wonderful birthday! Tanaqui, liked your No Errand To The South, though I'd dispute that Faramir never went to war with Aragorn (in LETTERS, JRRT strongly implied that he did, occasionally, although Eomer always accompanied Aragorn). The imagery of the garden, the foals and happy children is wonderful. I imagine that Eowyn would find a lot to keep her busy and happy; she's really going to make a difference in the quality of the Gondorian warhorse (and other types of horses).... RAKSHA THE DEMON

Raksha, glad you liked No Errand To The South. But I'm not claiming Faramir never went to war with Aragorn. I'm sure that there was lots of mopping up to be done in Ithilien, Near Harad and Umbar, and that Faramir would be involved in that, and would command the army in Gondor if necessary in Aragorn's absence. However, the way I read Letters in combination with the various discussions of the Steward's role elsewhere in a consistent manner is that he never went to war beyond the borders. YMMV The imagery of the garden, the foals and happy children is wonderful. I imagine that Eowyn would find a lot to keep her busy and happy; she's really going to make a difference in the quality of the Gondorian warhorse (and other types of horses).... I'm glad you liked all the imagery, and yes, vast improvements to the quality of Gondorian horses! Cheers, Liz

HAPPY BIRTHDAY To SallyK!

Here's a mega-drabble (700 words) for Sally, who wanted postwar Eowyn. I've had it up in beta for some questions I needed answered, but was awaiting the right birthday to post it here. Have a wonderful birthday, Sally!!! Raksha The Demon RELEASING THE REINS It is easier for him, Eowyn thinks jealously, childishly, envying Faramir’s ease with their son. Faramir seemed to always have the right words to ease the small boy after a bad dream, or to enthrall him with a tale of hidden Elven cities. Elboron had ridden heavily in her womb; the nine months she had carried him were beset by fears and fancies. What if the babe should sicken within her, late and bitter fruit of the Witch-King’s touch? His delivery had been a mercifully swift battle; the babe its whole and perfect prize. Caring for him in his infancy had not been so hard. Elboron was a happy babe, riding out the pangs of teething with ease. He rarely cried. He never got colic. And she could hold him steady then, when he was little enough to lie softly in her arms, too young to walk or run into harm’s way. Seeing him grow, that had been harder. He reached up and out, laughingly tottering away from her arms and into the dangerous world. Refusing to hobble him, she had reined back her own fears, and taken pride in his boldness. But oh, to see him trip on unsteady legs, to see him tumble from a tree‘s lowest branch…the mishaps had scared her far more than they frightened the child. Today Elboron will take his first ride without a lead rope. Eowyn watches Faramir adjust Elboron’s feet in the stirrups. Her baby looks so small on the pony’s back, although he is sitting up very proudly in the saddle that she had checked three times to assure the fit of the cinch. Faramir swings lightly onto his own horse‘s saddle. “Ready?” He asks the boy. Eowyn clutches too tightly on her own mount’s rein, then eases her grip. Her heart pounds. Elboron could fall! Elboron could ride away and never return! She wants suddenly to pull him back, off the pony and into her arms forever, to hold him tight, away from all danger. “Ready!” Elboron proclaims happily; then looks back and forth at both parents. Eowyn knows her duty as a mother; she nods her encouragement, gives her best “it is well” smile. Their son clucks quietly to the pony, and whispers, as if it were a secret message between boy and beast, the command ‘Walk!’. And then the pony steps to the child’s order, walking ahead. Faramir and Eowyn move their steeds out, flanking the pony. Faramir bestows a warm smile upon mother and son. Her husband is not given to easy pleasure; but now he fairly shines with gladness of heart. And look, their little boy is riding, really riding, holding the reins properly, a true heir of the House of Eorl and of the Captain who masters both beasts and men! Elboron’s grey eyes narrow in fierce concentration. Eowyn suddenly sees so much of his father in him, despite the child’s golden hair, that she would laugh if she did not fear to distract him. The familiar tightness of mother-care melts as her heart pounds in joy instead of fright. There is also a pang of wonder: had her own mother also trembled in mingled terror and delight to see Eomer take his first ride unaided? Her fearless cousin Theodred had lifted the orphaned Eowyn onto a gentle gelding’s back and bid her walk the pony behind him. What had her mother felt when her firstborn took yet another step away from the safety of her hold? For an instant, Eowyn can almost feel the pride of Theodwyn, of Morwen Steelsheen, indeed of all the mothers standing behind her. She smiles through her tears. With a forward shift, a slight squeeze of his lower legs, and a quiet word, Elboron quickens the pony’s pace. He trots slowly; while Faramir draws back to let him have half a horse-length’s lead. Eowyn matches the move, her fears eased. Though he still has much to learn, her son rides free now, with no mother’s hand to guide his steps. She can no more keep him as a babe in arms than she can stop the sun from rising, but she will always hold him close to her heart.

Hey Gwynnyd Yeah, I know your story, and I've always liked it. It does take into account all the problems. Interestingly, your approach and mine both end up with the same result: Aragorn is believed by the Dunedain to be dead (dead or lost to the Elves, in my case). I guess I like the "magic" stuff and want to emphasize it. It's more fun. I don't know if it's worth starting a thread. Do you want to? My stories that deal with this are "The Sword of Elendil" (WIP beta at HASA) and "The King of Many Cloaks" at Tolkienfanfiction. If you think a discussion would be interesting, let me know. G.A.

Re: drabbles for Gwynnyd and Amanda

80 was quite superb. *blush* Thank you, Liz, for the idea and for the kind words! I knew that one day being a Roger fangurl appreciator of 80s music would come in handy. Yes, ROGER, all right?! I meant to say I LOVED "Different" - such a wonderful insight into all three characters in so few words Thanks again! The Rohirrim just speak so clearly to me. No-one's probably noticed. I'm pretty subtle about it.

Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY To SallyK!

Elboron could ride away and never return! I love the sheer irrational mother worry in this line. And I love seeing full-on Worried!Mommy!Eowyn one minute, and Proud!Mommy!Eowyn the next. Very realistic. Nicely done, Raksha!

For SallyK

June 7 -- SallyK : My birthday is the 7th June and I am a major Eowyn fan, so I would love anything about her - particularly if it is set after the destruction of the Ring. I also blame EdorasLass for nuzgulling me with F/E pick-up lines! Quality She watches as he slides a hand beneath the leather, runs long fingers along a path that will soon be traced with care. And beneath a soothing voice, she can hear the faint echo of breath still hard from exercise; and she recalls a time when she last heard that sound… "Leave that." Both turn; husband puzzled, horse annoyed. For once, she thinks triumphantly, he does not see. Boldly, she slides an arm down her side, gathers the folds of her skirt with one hand… A slow smile as she backs into the empty stall. "Show me your quality, Captain."

Re: June Birthdays - for Avon

June 7 -- Avon: I'd love (to be predictable) Aragorn and Legolas friendship. Book or movieverse is fine by me. Predictable is nice! Any excuse to write Aragorn is fine with me. Hope your birthday is a happy one! Mistaken Identity The wind was stilled; stars shone diamond pinpoints in the milky arc of the sky. Cold seeped around his blanket, but Aragorn was inured to the hardships of winter travel. Something else had woken him. O hon ring finnil fuinui A renc gelebrin thiliol He leant on one elbow. Legolas turned at the movement. “I did not mean to wake you.” Legolas’s voice still barely carried. “Admit it. I told no untruths about Arwen’s beauty.” Legolas grinned, “Was that not Luthien you described when singing that interminable lay that kept me awake every night?” “You know well it was not.” Translation: About him cast her shadowy hair And arms like silver glimmering. Song of Beren and Luthien Gwynnyd

Re: Gwynnyd birthday

Hi Gwynnyd This came to me in the middle of the night, so I thought I'd send you another birthday present. G.A. Bedtime Story Aragorn was pleased that his duties were over in time for him to join his wife, for once, in a family ritual that he usually missed: putting the child to bed. Every night, after the nursemaids had bathed and dressed the young prince in his nightgown, the queen would dismiss them and take Eldarion to his bedchamber herself. She would tell him a story and then sing softly in her lovely voice, and Elven dreams and visions of great beauty would drift across his eyes, until they closed in a sound sleep. The king strode through the nursery suite, and the maids dropped curtseys as he passed; they called out “my lord king,” and he greeted them briefly with a smile and a nod. But when he turned into Eldarion’s room, he met with a somewhat different scene from what he had expected. His four-year-old son was standing in the middle of the room, brandishing a wooden sword and shouting, “You might be a play-acting spy! What do you say to that?” Seeing his father, Eldarion put on a ferocious face and charged. “Strider!” he shouted. “Arwen,” the king said, as he held the small body whacking at him with the wooden sword. “What are you teaching our son?” Arwen began to laugh helplessly at the sight of her husband’s surprised face. “The Prancing Pony,” she gasped. “I told him the story of the hobbits and the Ranger, and he just found out that you are Strider. He is being Sam. Such great timing!” Aragorn closed his hand around the small arm brandishing the wooden sword. In fact, the scowl on his son’s fair Elfin face bore an uncanny resemblance to Sam Gamgee’s look of suspicious disapproval. He was about the right height, too. “That’s enough, my son. Shall we discuss this, perhaps?” and he knelt down to look at his son face to face. Eldarion let out a peal of delighted laughter and threw his arms around his father’s neck. “Is it really true, papa? You are Strider?” “Oh, it is really true,” Aragorn said. “But you are Strider, too.” He picked up the boy and they joined the queen on the bed. “No, I’m not,” the prince said. “I am Eldarion.” “And is Eldarion your only name?” “I am the son of Elessar,” he said proudly. “And what is the name of our House?” Aragorn asked him. “Oh!” the prince said. “Telcontar. Is that what you mean?” “Most certainly. And that is ‘Strider.’” “Strider!” the boy shouted again. And he began strutting around the room. “Here is Eldarion being Strider.” “Arwen,” Aragorn said to his wife, “promise me one thing.” “And what is that, my love?” “Whatever you do, do not tell him about Gollum.”

Re: SallyK

June 7 -- SallyK : My birthday is the 7th June and I am a major Eowyn fan, so I would love anything about her - particularly if it is set after the destruction of the Ring. Movie!Verse even there possibly AU. Ranger1 Duty Faramir slipped out of his study with all the skill he learned as an Ithilian Ranger, the mission was his alone to accomplish. He reached his destination, secured his prize, and returned before Eowyn missed him … just. She entered the study. She was radiant. “Faramir, I have a surprise for you. I cooked your favorite meal.” His smile was genuine. She wanted so to become a proper Gondorian matron, including feeding her family. After the first time she had cooked, he spoke to the Healers. The warning had come in time. He had the stomach potion; he would survive this attempt.

Re: For SallyK

I also blame EdorasLass for nuzgulling me with F/E pick-up lines! Oh, and you've never Nuzgulled me at all! Heee heee....nice.

This came to me in the middle of the night, so I thought I'd send you another birthday present. Oh that's adorable! Thank you so much for losing sleep to think of that! Your Eldarion is wonderful, so much a boy he comes off as very real. Poor papa being thwacked with a wooden sword. Snork. Now I want to sneak in and tell Eldarion about Gollum. Thank you! Gwynnyd

For SallyK

Hi SallyK! My birthday is the 7th June and I am a major Eowyn fan, so I would love anything about her - particularly if it is set after the destruction of the Ring. Here's a double drabble for you featuring Éowyn (my favorite character as well) as requested. I hope you enjoy it! Happy Birthday! Story Elboron snuggled down into his mother’s lap. “Story! Story!” he cried. Éowyn laughed. “And what story would you like to hear tonight, little one?” Little Elboron’s eyes grew wide with excitement. “Tell me the story that Dada tells me, Mother! With fighting, and swords, and brave soldiers killing those mean orcs!” He moved his arms as if swinging an imaginary sword. Éowyn’s smile disappeared. “You know, Elboron, one is not always made brave by fighting.” Sensing his mother’s serious mood, Elboron stopped swinging his arms and looked up at her solemnly. Éowyn knew what she needed to say was beyond his understanding, but she kept going. “Sometimes soldiers are scared. Sometimes they wish they had never fought. Sometimes there are scars that can never be healed. Sometimes…” She cut off, closing her eyes. The figure in the doorway watched a silent tear fall. “Sometimes,” the figure replied, startling Éowyn, “we are called to do things that we must, and we must live with the consequences…” Faramir entered the room and quickly put his arm around Éowyn, holding her close. “…but we do not have to face the nightmares alone.” Elboron looked on in confusion as his mother continued to cry. ~Nienna

Poor papa being thwacked with a wooden sword. Snork. Now I want to sneak in and tell Eldarion about Gollum. Heee. Me too. I love how Arwen is play-fighting with him. It's a refreshing change from the way her mothering skills are typically portrayed in fanon. I am just in awe of all these lovely Eowyn drabbles. Give me that cute little family any day of the week and I turn to mush.

Now I want to sneak in and tell Eldarion about Gollum. I could see Legolas doing something like that.... Maybe I'll get inspired. Any other takers? It might fit for the Aragorn-Legolas birthday request. I'll see if my muse speaks to me. G.A.

Thanx for commenting on RELEASING THE REINS, EdorasLass! I figured Eowyn would be an angsty mother, at least the first time around. She's lost a lot in her life, and is not, in my opinion, a very mellow person to begin with... Loved both "Story" pieces with Eldarion and Elboron. Aragorn and Faramir would both make good fathers I think. "Duty" was wonderfully funny! And "Quality" a pleasure to read! RAKSHA THE DEMON, starting to count down the days to her next birthday (only 130+)!

Oh thanks, Gwynnyd - that's lovely! Avon

RAKSHA THE DEMON, starting to count down the days to her next birthday (only 130+)! And mine's in Jaaaaaaaaanuaaarryyyyy! *sob*

Re: June Birthdays - June 16th - Edhellana

June 16 -- Edhellana: I'm a true Gemini (split personality and all! hehehe) So if someone can do a naughty NC-17 drabble with me and the Half-elven twins (Elladan and Elrohir), I would love it....*GRINS* Not exactly what you wanted, but I'm the mother of teenagers! Engage your imagination for the sequel. Hope your birthday is a happy one (with or without the actual twins ;) ) Two of a Kind The vows spoken, the feast eaten, the king and queen had disappeared long ago. The party was raucous now; too much wine had flowed. Elrohir swirled his glass. The rich, red wine of the south stored the heat of summer and it burned through his veins. He leaned back against a wall, grateful for the chill of the stone. Elladan made his unsteady way towards him, glass refilled, and stopped to help him prop the wall. “At least we need no longer wonder about our sister and Aragorn. They have been gone for a very long time.” Elrohir grinned into his glass. “Perhaps he is having difficulties. Shall we go to his assistance?” Elladan gave a low chuckle. “It is more likely that they are indulging several times.” “Several…” The wine and Elrohir’s desires conspired. “Have you ever been tempted?” Elladan considered the question. His gaze roved around the room. “Gondor boasts very beautiful women. There. The one in blue.” The lady caught Elrohir’s eye. Her tongue peeped out and its tip made a languorous circle around her lips. She smiled and inclined her head in invitation. Elladan leaned over and said softly in his ear. “She has ‘come hither’ eyes.” Her finger traced the neckline of her bodice and disappeared into the mysterious dark of her cleavage. Elrohir gulped the last of the wine in his glass. The potent liquid spread its warmth in his stomach, and the heat flowed down, then surged back up. He could feel his ears glow. “There could be no harm in talking with her.” Beside him, Elladan’s arm trembled. “Or touching.” Elrohir pushed himself off the wall and faced his brother. “Both of us?” Elladan laughed. He took his brother’s arm and steered him towards the woman. “We have done everything else together.” Gwynnyd

Hi Avon, My muse spoke. It's a drabble sequel to "Bedtime Story." Happy birthday! Bedtime Nightmare “I’m sorry you did not bring your son with you,” Legolas said. “Such a charming mix of both our races! How is the little demon?” “As energetic as ever,” said Aragorn. “Last week he attacked me with a toy sword, pretending to be Sam Gamgee at the Prancing Pony taking on the sinister Strider.” Legolas smiled. “I would have dearly loved to see that!” “I asked Arwen to please omit any Gollum stories.” Legolas’s smile turned into a mischievous grin, and his eyes closed to slits. “You would not!” “Don’t worry—I’ll let him practice on me first.” Gandalfs apprentice

June 7 -- Avon: I'd love (to be predictable) Aragon and Legolas friendship. Book or movieverse is fine by me. I normally havew a hard time writing Legolas, as he's just not a character I think about that much. But your request combined with one Lady Aranel (whose birthday is also this month) made in our beta group for a drabble about Legolas. And that gave me just the shove I needed to tackle an already-existing nuzgul: just what is Legolas thinking when he tackles that oliphaunt in the RotK movie? He has a certain look in his eyes that makes me think that, for him, it's more than just another kill. So here's my attempt at giving that scene a little more depth. It's 200 words, so I hope that you and Lady Aranel don't mind sharing. "Holding the Line" "Legolas!" Aragorn cries. I look more closely at the Southron-captain towering over us. I recognise the markings on his face and chest, remembering the long nights with Aragorn on our travels together. I often sat with him through his watch, and we traded stories to pass the quiet hours. I told him of orcs and spiders and darker creatures I had hunted, and he spoke of his travels through far-away deserts I had never seen. He described gruesome punishments for crimes we would deem trivial, and sacrifices to the Dark made on their altars, and other tales that made my spirit burn. "Are men so easily corrupted?" I had asked him. He looked at me pointedly and replied with a single word: "Yrch." More than ruined men served Mordor. Now one of those accursed folk is before me. Servants of the Dark, child-killers, priests of the Night that would banish all light. And they would sully these western lands with their filth? Not while I yet draw breath. I grab the coarse rope and kick myself away from the mumâk's leg, thick as a tree trunk. If this is my last climb, so be it. Marta

My muse spoke. It's a drabble sequel to "Bedtime Story." Happy birthday! And mine could not resist a follow up to that! Enjoy! Pretending Aragorn heard voices from the Queen’s garden and paused at the window to observe. Eldarion and Legolas were playing “going to Mordor.” “Frodo” wore a real cloak from Lorien, with a rather prominent ring, woven from straw, on a string around his neck. “Gollum” was suitably nasty, half naked and smeared with mud. Aragorn scanned the garden. Near the fountain in the center, he saw an overturned flowerpot next to a discarded tunic and a pair of boots. “Gollum” was receiving last-minute pointers on his behavior. “Crouch a little lower. Gollum used his hands as much as his feet. Now show me how you can sound like him.” “Gollum” cavorted energetically around “Frodo”, growling out suitable choking sounds and ‘my prescioussesses’ until he came to a dramatic stop just under the window and proclaimed, “Yellow face, it hurts us!” And caught Aragorn’s eye. Laughing, the king stepped over the low sill into the garden. “Papa!” The delighted childish voice rang out. “Come play with us. Legolas gets to be Gollum, but you can be Sam.” Gwynnyd

Re: June Birthdays - for Avon - "Pretending"

That's just too much. Snort! G.A.

For Avon, 7 June

Avon said I'd love (to be predictable) Aragon and Legolas friendship. I think it must have been some friendship to hold Legolas in Middle-earth for 120 years.... For the love of the Lord of the White Tree Reeds rustle with our passing as we sail upriver, and I hear it. The banner, sable and silver, flying from the loftiest tower in the highest circle, sings in the wind, and I hear it. The treetops in the land of my birth sway, greeting my return, and I hear it. Stream and spring and waterfall warble their long-accustomed note, and I hear it. The Great Sea speaks to me in all things now. Yet another voice speaks louder, makes a stronger claim upon heart and hands – for a while. As long as he lives, I will forsake the Sea. Happy Birthday Cheers, Liz

Re: June Birthdays - for Avon -

That's just too much. Snort! Snork indeed! I had a wonderful time writing that. Liz did the beta and she said " nice little story - hmm, semi-naked mudsmeared Legolas..." My feelings exactly. Gwynnyd

Re: June Birthdays - SallyK

June 7 -- SallyK : My birthday is the 7th June and I am a major Eowyn fan, so I would love anything about her - particularly if it is set after the destruction of the Ring. Sally: And here I was doing so well this month on getting drabbles written before people's birthdays, but I hope you don't mind that this is a little late! Hope your day was a happy one! Making the Legends of Our Time The trip had been long and the “princess” at the end of it was very disappointing. She was the oldest person Éowyn had ever seen, parchment skin and gnarled hands, and had to be helped into her chair. Her eyes though were still very alive and they watched keenly until Éowyn felt she had to say something or burst. “I know a strange thing, grandmother.” “And what is that, child?” “When the great dark came at the end of the last age, the Witch King was killed by a woman. And she had the same name as you and me.” Gwynnyd

For Amanda

June 9 -- AmandaK: Since my June is going to be dominated by music (as in 10 Duran Duran concerts in 3 weeks, in case anyone's interested) I would like to see a drabble about music. Preferably LotR-based since I have neither read The Hobbit or the Silm. Extra points if it features a live Boromir. Well, here you have music and Boromir. Thanks to Eldamir for her help. Happy birthday, Amanda! Music to my ears Boromir stood in the solitary hallway, the point of his sword barely brushing the stone floor, fervently thanking the Valar that his brother would never find out about tonight's deeds. He recalled jumping from his bed and taking his sword before being completely awake. He had left his room in haste, coming upon one of Elrond's elves in the corridor. Bumping into a dishevelled Man in his nightshirt running through the house of Elrond with his sword drawn was something that the Elf was certainly not used to. He blinked, an eyebrow raised in mild wonder. Boromir asked urgently, "Where is the fight?" Both eyebrows were now arched. He insisted, almost yelling, "Cannot you hear those dreadful shouts? Their need must be dire!" The Elf understood and the shadow of a smile curved his lips. "Tonight, the Dwarves are singing for Lord Elrond."

Re: For Avon, 7 June

Tanaqui, that is absolutely beautiful - thank you.

Thanks, GA - that was very cute. Avon

Thanks, Marta - it is very interesting to see that moment fleshed out a little.

Thanks, Gwynnyd. I had a feeling it would be Legolas rolling around in the mud ;-) I can see him doing it too - that's the thing about Elves; they have so much natural dignity they don't need to stand on it. ;-)

Happy Belated Birthday, Avon

I hope it was a nice day, dear Avon. Hope this year is wonderful for you. Hugs, Starlight *** Hunting Gollum The forest had gone still hours ago, yet they’d kept on. Now Aragorn could feel, more than observe, the tension ebbing from his companion. ‘We are close,’ he said, ‘but the track grows too confusing.’ At a nod from Legolas, the rest of the scouts retreated. Aragorn raised a brow. ‘I’ll be responsible for whatever evil the creature causes, but I cannot lead them all yonder,’ Legolas said, a grim smile across his lips. ‘And you?’ ‘I will follow you,’ he replied, the smile turning into a grin. ‘You are far too… important… to be wandering through Dol Guldur alone.’

Re: Happy Belated Birthday, Avon

Oh I like that, Starlight! Thank you! Don't worry about it being belated - my gapfiller for you is still only half-written. Problem is that I've got the time to work on it now because I'm off sick, but not the braincells or energy, and once I get back to work I'm going to be really struggling for time. You will get it - but you might have to wait quite a while, I'm afraid. Avon PS: Thank you for the card.

Re: For Amanda

himilce247 - loved MUSIC TO MY EARS - poor Boromir must be really getting tired of vegetating in Imladris.... Liz; FOR THE LOVE OF THE LORD OF THE WHITE TREE is lovely. I can feel Legolas being pulled in two different ways. Gwynnyd - Wonderful "Legend" drabble with little Eowyn meeting her aged grandmother. And yet, I can still see Eowyn Wraithsbane in the tired old lady. RAKSHA THE DEMON

Re: June Birthdays - June 16th - Edhellana

Hannon le, mellonin!! That set the mood and my imagination took over from there VERY nicely!! Having a blast in Santa Barbara - writer's conference starts tomorrow...hopefully will arm me with more writing tips than a quiver full of arrows...

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum