Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: May 2005 Birthdays - 4

May 2005 Birthdays - 4

HASA Birthday Cards workshop

Instructions for Birthday Drabbling: instructions on the new system.

May 2005 birthday challenge

May 5 - paranoidangel (Nic): I promised Erin I'd ask for Elrond and Sam, so I'd like a drabble with those two in. My birthday's on the 5th (I'm quite happy for them to be late though!)

May 6 - RiverOtter: My birthday is May 6th. After much pondering and muttering, I am requesting encounters. Tell me about a meeting between any two characters - any Age or races or place. The more unusual or obscure, the better.

May 8 - Loremaster of Anorien: My fourteenth birthday is on May 8, and I'd love a drabble about the Denethor, Finduilas, Imrahil, Boromir, and Faramir during a celebration. It would be a happier moment for the rather troubled family who suffer painful losses and mischaracterization in fanfic.

May 9th - Radbooks: I know this is late as my birthday is tomorrow, but I would like a drabble about Aragorn and I.... oh, I bet it can't be an AU. Well, then I guess that's going to have to wait and be in my dreams and I probably don't want it to only be a drabble anyway. Seriously, I would like a drabble with Aragorn and Elrond or Aragorn and Eomer

May 13 - Pippin's Lass: I'd like drabbles on the hobbits (particularly Sam & Frodo) or Faramir (anything--with Eowyn, Elessar, as a child...). I'm also *quite* fond of horses, so anything with horses in is fine by me.

May 14 - Aliana: On May 14th I'll be 20, the age at which Aragorn learned the truth about his heritage. I'd like to hear about any LotR character making a discovery--large or small, funny or serious, that's up to you. Failing that, I'll also swipe Allie's request from March and say I'd not be averse to anything Houses of Healing, either.

Mat 23 - Eldamir: While I realize that I'm extremely late... I thought I might as well post this anyways, and see what happens! My birthday is on the 23rd, and I'd like a drabble about Faramir. I don't have anything too specific in mind, but nothing sexually explicit, please!

May 25 - Dwimordene: Did you know there's a world out there at 6:30 in the morning? I had forgotten. I dislike that I'm reminded. Ulk. To suit my mood, something about Castamir, Ornendil, and/or Eldacar. Something Kin-Strifish, which can include the arguments and tensions preceding the actual war. Post-war stuff would also be welcomed. Thanks!

May 27 - gronyats: Since I love History, I would enjoy a drabble about some interesting lore discussed between Elrond and Glorfindel.

May 30 - Starlight: I think this year I would like gapfillers or Middle-earth mysteries. Any type of gapfiller would do, set on whatever time period and the character of your choice. Anything that you have puzzled about, anything that draws your fancy, anything you wish had been expanded upon- they are all welcome!

If not, something set in Arnor would be lovely. Or, Eomer and Lothiriel. Or maybe something inspired by the Appendices?

Stories in Workshop: Dwim, paranoidangel, Aliana, RiverOtter

Late Drabble

May 8 - Loremaster of Anorien: My fourteenth birthday is on May 8, and I'd love a drabble about the Denethor, Finduilas, Imrahil, Boromir, and Faramir during a celebration. It would be a happier moment for the rather troubled family who suffer painful losses and mischaracterization in fanfic. Late but on topic. At the Midsummer Fair Denethor looked for his family. Boromir suddenly bounced in front of him. "Father, I am sorry. I thought you saw mother wave to me." His face was painted to look like a bear. "Yes" Finduilas said as she walked up. "We found the most interesting artist." She carried a painted Faramir-cub and had a bear's muzzle on her nose. "What does Imrahil think of him?" Denethor sniffed ... and saw Imrahil with a bear painted on his cheek. Denethor thought. The next day at Council, Denethor compared his bear to the lions, wild hogs, and foxes on the other faces. Ranger1

Earlier Late Drabble

May 14 - Aliana: On May 14th I'll be 20, the age at which Aragorn learned the truth about his heritage. I'd like to hear about any LotR character making a discovery--large or small, funny or serious, that's up to you. Failing that, I'll also swipe Allie's request from March and say I'd not be averse to anything Houses of Healing, either. Another silly moment with some serious Elves and their discovery. Discovery: Wrestling Feanor walked to his garden looking for his family. He turned a corner that led to a plowed and rained on field. As he approached he saw wiggling lumps of mud. One of them stood and he thought he saw dark eyes and red hair. "Maedhros, what is this?" "We are wrestling. It is fun in the mud." "What does your mother think of this?" Another lump stood up, Defiantly Auburn haired and definitely female. It is enjoyable." Nerdanel said and smiled, white teeth showed through mud. Feanor looked, yelled, and jumped on her. His sons all piled on him. Ranger1

For Starlight

I think this year I would like gapfillers or Middle-earth mysteries. Any type of gapfiller would do, set on whatever time period and the character of your choice ... Or maybe something inspired by the Appendices? To See The Sea He passed through the Tower Hills. There before him, he saw it at last – exactly as imagined, as tales of childhood fantasy told. The Sea. A vast expanse of water, glistening in the sunlight, vanishing into the West beyond his sight. At the Havens, he trotted onto the docks, watching in awe as sailors coiled ropes, unfurled sails, prepared to set sail. One looked up and hailed him. “You there! You looking for a job? We need someone small, nimble; to climb into the rigging. Think you can do it?” Eager, he nodded. “Aye, sir!” “Your name?” “Isengar. Isengar Took.” Author Notes: I think this qualifies as a Middle-Earth mystery inspired by the appendices. Isengar Took (Pippin’s great-uncle) is said to have ‘gone to sea’ in his youth. Happy birthday! Jay

For Starlight, 30 May

Starlight said I think this year I would like gapfillers or Middle-earth mysteries. Any type of gapfiller would do, set on whatever time period and the character of your choice. Anything that you have puzzled about, anything that draws your fancy, anything you wish had been expanded upon - they are all welcome! These two drabbles are based on a mystery that occurred to me fairly recently when I was putting together a research article (coming soon!) on “Cooking for Rangers”: how does Faramir manage to give Frodo and Sam fresh bread when there’s no fire at Henneth Annûn to bake it (see below for the canon quotes)? After discussing it with Gwynnyd, and discounting elven magic and hydroelectricity , we decided there were two options. The first is that the bread was transported in from Cair Andros along with other supplies (and therefore was probably only relatively “fresh”) and that’s what this first drabble is about: *** Supply Lines Always he is startled by their sudden appearance from amongst the dappled tree-shade, interchangeable in green masks and gauntlets. Each week a different place, and perhaps a different man to guide him. Watching them leave, with sacks unburdened from his ponies, he is a little envious. He has never seen the place they carry his goods, though he hears of its marvels. Yet if he does not know the route, he cannot betray it: orcs might watch all the paths he treads from journey’s beginning and end. He prays the bread he brings builds strength to defend his beloved country. *** The other option is that the bread was cooked using some form of solar oven. (And no, I don’t think the Rangers had pizza boxes - it’s just a very nice illustration of the principles behind solar ovens!) However, you would need a lot of solar ovens to cook bread for even 100 men every day. Having them spread out across the cliffs above Henneth Annûn wouldn’t be very “secret”. So we decided that there would only be a few loaves of bread a day, for the officers, and some kind of biscuit or bannock that would keep longer for the rest. And so that’s what this drabble is about: *** Fair trade Faramir breaks the bread, still warm. A bit of crust, a little butter: he savours the taste as he recalls the day’s reports. His gaze roves round the cave, singling out one man here, another there. So many have served well and deserve notice and honour. Yet he must choose. He rises and crosses first to one man and then the next. With each, he trades loaf for bannock. The cold cake, heavy in mouth and stomach, tastes sweeter for the thanks given with it, and the devotion and promise of service to Gondor he sees in each man’s eyes. *** Happy Birthday, Starlight! Cheers, Liz *** Canon quotes: 'Well, here is our refuge,' said Faramir. `Not a place of great ease but here you may pass the night in peace. It is dry at least, and there is food, though no fire.’ The Two Towers, LoTR Book 4, Ch 5, The Window on the West …the evening meal seemed a feast to the hobbits: to drink pale yellow wine, cool and fragrant, and eat bread and butter… The Two Towers, LoTR Book 4, Ch 5, The Window on the West …the food provided by Faramir: dried fruits and salted meat, enough for many days; and bread enough to last while it was still fresh. The Two Towers, LoTR Book 4, Ch 7, Journey to the Cross-roads

Re: May Birthday Babes - Take 4

While I realize that I'm extremely late... I thought I might as well post this anyways, and see what happens! My birthday is on the 23rd, and I'd like a drabble about Faramir. I don't have anything too specific in mind, but nothing sexually explicit, please!

Starlight - cruel and evil nuzgul slinger....

May 30 - Starlight: I think this year I would like gapfillers or Middle-earth mysteries. Any type of gapfiller would do, set on whatever time period and the character of your choice. Anything that you have puzzled about, anything that draws your fancy, anything you wish had been expanded upon- they are all welcome! Starlight - So I had this silly little idea for a drabble.. a 'huh?' moment I thought I could get away with in a 100 words. I spent three days - three days! - trying to get a handle on the right perspective to tell it. Wrote it. Realized that I needed a bunch of notes to make it comprehensible. Put in about 500 words of notes to explain the reasoning behind the 100 word drabble. Went looking for one last quote and realized that I had failed to take into account yet another, even bigger unexplained event! Spent the night thinking about it and have come to the conclusion that I have absolutely no clue what JRRT was thinking. I can't believe he had not thought the scenario through but what on earth is the explanation? Um, it may take me a little longer than I thought to get you your birthday present.... darn you! I did not need another nuzgul!!! Walks off muttering.... "Rude... Unbelievably rude.... I can't believe Elrond was party to something that rude, but why... if Frodo didn't meet... why on earth weren't.... what at that point could have been that urgent... why lie....or mislead.... but Aragorn so casually admitted later in the evening.... ARRGH!!!!!" Gwynnyd

Hi Eldamir While I realize that I'm extremely late... I thought I might as well post this anyways, and see what happens! My birthday is on the 23rd, and I'd like a drabble about Faramir. I don't have anything too specific in mind, but nothing sexually explicit, please! Hardly too late - it's still before your birthday! And how could I resist a request for Faramir? This is a scene I've been thinking about for a couple of weeks, wondering how Faramir wheedled out the information.... Interrogation Merry’s answers almost led Faramir from his true purpose. Ents, Elves, Woses, Orcs and, lastly, Morgul-lord: Halflings, it seemed, were all brave folk. Praise given, Faramir hesitated. “And Lady Éowyn? Her uncle the King would surely have honoured her deeds.” “Perhaps.” Merry paused. “He did not know of her riding, lord.” He blushed. “Nor did I, though her horse carried me to battle. She rode secretly, in search of death.” Faramir raised an eyebrow. “That so valiant and fair a lady should know such grief…,” he mused softly. “She had many sorrows.” Merry conceded. “All was not well in Rohan….” *** And so Merry was sent to Faramir, and while that day lasted they talked long together, and Faramir learned much, more even than Merry put into words; and he thought that he understood now something of the grief and unrest of Éowyn of Rohan. The Return of the King, LoTR Book 6, Ch 5, The Steward and the King Happy Birthday! Cheers, Liz

Re: Late Drabble

*giggles* Awwwwwwww, a House of Hurin with face paint is very, very cute! I enjoyed it lots. Thank you! Namarie! Loremaster

Re: Earlier Late Drabble

Thanks for the drabble, Ranger1! It made me giggle. Whoever knew that Feanor was one for a good mud-wrestle?? Aliana

Re: Starlight - cruel and evil nuzgul slinger....

"Rude... Unbelievably rude.... I can't believe Elrond was party to something that rude, but why... if Frodo didn't meet... why on earth weren't.... what at that point could have been that urgent... why lie....or mislead.... but Aragorn so casually admitted later in the evening.... ARRGH!!!!!" You're just going to leave us in suspense like that???? Fie! Fie on thee!!!! - Barbara, who thinks that drabbles should be very strictly limited: Title: up to 15 words Body: exactly 100 words Footnotes: up to, say, 1000 words...

You're just going to leave us in suspense like that???? Fie! Fie on thee!!!! Well, not if I can figure out what the heck happened! If I can't figure it out, I swear, I am going to do a full Machete Beta on that scene! "Rude... Unbelievably rude.... I can't believe Elrond was party to something that rude, but why... if Frodo didn't meet... why on earth weren't.... what at that point could have been that urgent... why lie....or mislead.... but Aragorn so casually admitted later in the evening.... ARRGH!!!!!" oh, c'mon - there's plenty of clues in here! Gwynnyd

Rude... Unbelievably rude.... I can't believe Elrond was party to something that rude, but why... if Frodo didn't meet... why on earth weren't.... what at that point could have been that urgent... why lie....or mislead.... but Aragorn so casually admitted later in the evening.... ARRGH!!!!!" oh, c'mon - there's plenty of clues in here! Gwynnyd I *know* -- that's why it's driving me crazy that I can't figure it out... - Barbara, who is going back to figuring out how Tolkien's marginal jotting about the Drúedain in the Drúwaith Iaur fit into the Invasion of the Westfold by Saruman...

Thank you so much, Liz! I love it! I've thought about that before, too, and wondered how Faramir managed to get the story out of Merry. This fits in perfectly!

Hi Starlight, I think this year I would like gapfillers or Middle-earth mysteries. Any type of gapfiller would do, set on whatever time period and the character of your choice. Anything that you have puzzled about, anything that draws your fancy, anything you wish had been expanded upon- they are all welcome! I must have started a dozen drabbles for you. Treebeard discovering he could speak. Radagast discovering what had happened to Gandalf at Isengard. Bilbo correcting the bit about winning the Ring in the Red Book. May, many ideas -- but finally this morning one settled down. And *sigh* six more followed in close succession. It became my "Homecomings" series, and all of them are about gapfillers, so they all fit your request. You might enjoy them. But here's your "official" present. "Maturity" Many sons of Isildur have passed through my house, but you were the first I considered my own. I remember that evening when you arrived, wet from the rain, crying and confused. I can hardly reconcile that memory with the man standing before me. The years were not over-kind, yet you have persevered -- and conquered. I grasp your hand and you pull me into an embrace. It is good to feel your warmth, to know you are well. Glad of face, kingly and, in your eyes, I see it: you are ready to assume your heritage. Estel has become Elessar. +_+_+ Note: In the last paragraph Elrond shares what Sam thought when first seeing Aragorn at Cormallen. See "The Field of the Cormallen", The Return of the King

must have started a dozen drabbles for you. Treebeard discovering he could speak. Radagast discovering what had happened to Gandalf at Isengard. Bilbo correcting the bit about winning the Ring in the Red Book. ::::::runs screaming from the Nuzguls:::::: But I just love the dynamic between Elrond and Aragorn.

For Eldamir

Yeah, this was meant to turn out happier, but...well, it didn't. And it's more like 350 words. eeep! And I've not yet come up with a pleasing title. Happy birthday, anyway! ********* "My Lord Faramir....are you....quite well?" Faramir looked up, and tried to identify the young guardsman through the haze of ale. Iorlas? No...blast, what is his name? "I am fine," he said, standing, catching the edge of the table to balance himself as he swayed dangerously. "I am.......fine." The young man nodded. "Certainly you are," he said, and laid one steadying hand on his lord's shoulder. "It is late, my lord captain." Faramir nodded his agreement, took a moment to drain his cup of the last drops of drink. "It is," he said, wondering when the room had begun to spin so. "I should be on my way." If only he could remember which way the Citadel was. "If you would permit me, my lord?" the guardsman asked. "I would walk with you -- I am not quite yet familiar with the roads of this circle." Faramir waved a hand in drunken acknowledgement, though dimly he wondered how new this boy was, to still be confused by the path from the fifth circle to the seventh. They walked in silence, the young man occasionally pointing out a broken cobblestone or puddle to be avoided, until they reached the Citadel itself. "Ah, I know my way now, my lord," the young man said. "Thank you for your forbearance." "You are ---quite welcome," Faramir replied, placing one hand against the wall to hold himself upright. It would not do for a young recruit to see him brought so low, even if the doors tilted most alarmingly in front of his eyes. The young man eyed his lord captain for a moment, then spoke in a low voice. "He was a mighty warrior, my lord. We all grieve his passing." Faramir meet the man's gaze, and saw there a pain that echoed his own, if only faintly. He could not do more than nod, for the tears he had been holding at bay threatened to choke him. Ah, Boromir, Boromir! The young man clasped Faramir's shoulder firmly. "Good night, my lord," he said softly, and left his lord to find his own way to his bed.

Re: For Eldamir

Oh, this is very good. Poor Faramir - but he'll soon learn that getting drunk isn't the best way to deal with grief ... The young guard is excellent - so tactful and concerned for his captain: "I would walk with you -- I am not quite yet familiar with the roads of this circle." It's a very nice way to see him home safely, and allow Faramir to keep what remains of his dignity! Jay

Thanks, Jay! That's exactly what I was going for! In my head, this is the first time Faramir's gotten so drunk over his brother, so it's probably a lot worse that it looks. Ouch.

Eldamir - so glad you liked the drabble. I think I'm still going to have to write the scene at more length and from Merry's perspective some time though. *sigh* Babara - only 1000 words for footnotes? No, no, no - not enough! And IIRC the Drúedain in the Drúwaith Iaur come out and attack the remnants of Saruman's forces that retreat that way? EdorasLass - what a very sweet drabble. I'm sure any guard would want to be that kind and thoughtful to poor drunk Faramir. Jay - getting drunk alone certainly isn't the best way to deal with grief! However, a wake with a few close friends who can all tell silly stories about Boromir....*throws out nuzgul in the hope it will latch on to someone* Cheers, Liz

Oooh, this is lovely, EdorasLass! Thank you so much! I love the way it unfolds, and the moment of realization you get at the end when you realize WHY Faramir is that drunk. It's a beautiful drabble!

Babara - only 1000 words for footnotes? No, no, no - not enough! Well, I think there should be very strict standards for drabbles -- how about a million? And IIRC the Drúedain in the Drúwaith Iaur come out and attack the remnants of Saruman's forces that retreat that way? Why, Liz, you cheeky geeky thing, you! (P.S. I'm not ignoring your emails -- trying to clean the house for company... online only at short breaks, when housework makes me want to scream...) - Barbara

Thanks!! Honestly, I was trying to do Happy!Faramir, but he just didn't want to talk to me last night. Glad you liked it!

Liked your drabbles, Tanaqui - Supply Lines and Fair Trade are lovely glimpses into the spartan lives of Ithilien Rangers. And Interrogation is a great little gapfiller that could certainly be expanded, or written from Merry's POV. EdorasLass - interesting piece about Faramir's drunken mourning for Boromir. I like how the love and loyalty of the people of Minas Tirith is visible in the young guardsman. I know I've seen at least one good story of Boromir's wake... RAKSHA THE DEMON

'... getting drunk alone certainly isn't the best way to deal with grief! However, a wake with a few close friends who can all tell silly stories about Boromir.... Hmm ... a wake, telling stories of loss, reasons for remembrance, and silly episodes of youth ... been there; done that! (Though for Elrohir, not for Boromir ...) Jay

RISING STAR for Eldamir's birthday

Eldamir wanted something about Faramir that wasn't sexually explicit. Okay, let me drag out this mega-drabble from Faramir's POV of a pivotal event in his life. It's only 700 words long. I tried to do it in 100 words; really I did; but Faramir kept going on and on, poor guy was over-wrought... Happy Birthday, Eldamir!!! RISING STAR The sun descends; and the star of Eärendil climbs the darkening sky. My lady lies in childbed beyond a door that I am not allowed to enter. I can do naught to aid her. And still we wait. Eomer paces back and forth, stopping only to crack his knuckles. If he mentions mares and foals one more time, I truly think that I will strike him. Though such a blow would not bring this child any faster; it would at least improve my mood. Aragorn arrives, bringing wine and good cheer. I can barely discern his words. All I hear are Eowyn’s cries and moans, mercifully somewhat muffled by the door. I sit still and think back on all that I know of childbirth. It is not much. I yearn more than ever before for the presence of my mother. I can take some solace that old Ioreth, who has helped many mothers safely deliver their babes, is behind that door with my wife. Arwen is there too; it is good that Eowyn has a friend with her now. Hark! The sounds are different now. What has happened? I catch Eomer’s eye; and see the same fear there that chills my heart. I rise; and our hands clasp as if we were frightened children rather than King of Rohan and Steward of Gondor. The door opens. Arwen emerges. She smiles! I try to calm my racing heart; for surely she would not smile if she bore ill tidings. The Queen says that Eowyn is well and I have a son. The world is changed forever. My knees grow weak. I steady myself. Aragorn gives me something to drink and I drain the goblet with one gulp. We all embrace. I think Eomer is weeping. Then I stagger toward the door, with these two unlikely brothers at my back. Arwen allows me entry, but bars the door to the two kings. I go to my lady. Valar, she looks weary! Yet there is great joy upon her pale face. I fear I shall weep with relief that I have not lost her. I see a blanketed bundle in Eowyn’s arms. At her urging, I part the coverlets and look upon my son for the first time. Foolishly, all I can do is gape. He is so new! His head is still damp from birth, and covered with pale golden hair. His eyes are closed under long-lashed lids. Soft little sounds issue from his pink mouth. Is he weary too? Surely he has taken the longest journey of us all this day! Eowyn laughs and bids me take him. Ioreth prattles on about what a big, strong babe he is as I lift the infant carefully into my arms. Big? He is so small that his head fits in my hand; and he is utterly helpless. I fear that if I do not hold him close, I shall drop him; but if I hold him too tightly, he shall break. His brows crease in a tiny frown. For the first time, I see a likeness to one who is lost. I can glimpse Boromir in the child‘s nose, the curve of his lips. And I am nigh overwhelmed by a surge of fierce joy welling up within me. “Welcome” I whisper. “Thou art most welcome, my son.” Ah, surely I am the most fortunate of all men! He cries for a moment, and I start in sudden concern. I touch his face; and his hand flails, then grasps my forefinger with surprising strength. My eyes blur. I know now that he also holds my heart in his little fist. Eowyn asks me to name our son. I had thought to call him after Mardil or Cirion, but now I am of different mind. I look out the window, where Eärendil’s star rises; and at our mortal Evenstar, the star-bearer’s own kin. They have both watched over the child’s birth. “My brother was Boromir, Faithful Jewel” I proclaim. “My son shall be Elboron, Faithful Star.” It is done. A tear trickles down my cheek as I regard the bright star and pray that somewhere beyond it, my brother also looks down upon us.

Re: For Starlight

Hello everyone! I'm so glad to be back. I was out of town last week, and I did miss you all so much! Thank you so much for my birthday presents, for the fun conversations, and for making this month a very special one. Some words of feedback (sorry I'm so late!): Jay: To See the Sea This was wonderful, Jay! What an awesome mystery/gapfiller to choose. It's amazing how we all see things in different light, and I was thrilled that you chose to portray this bit from the appendices. There's so much mystery about this one! I love how Isengar remembers the stories of his youth and how, eagerly, he begins to work and help. Thank you SO MUCH!!! I loved it. Tanaqui: Supply Lines *claps in excitement* Cooking for Rangers! That's great! I know many of us could do with that valuable information... ;-) Thank you so much for both my drabbles, Liz! It must have been a wonderful discussion with Gwynnyd, and I'm so delighted it inspired my birthday presents. I loved Supply Lines. This sounds like a very logical answer, and I loved your character's quiet allegiance. Perhaps he does not help in as active a way as the rangers he carries his bread to, but in his own way he helps defend the country he loves. This was wonderful! (On a Side note, just now I was reminded of "Fiddler on the Roof," when Tevvye says: We all have our own place in Anatevka... [or something like that. The gist of it being, everybody, in their own way, contributes to the community.]) Fair Trade: This was amazing. I think it's just easy to forget what those that are close to the shadow (in M-e, as well as in RL) have to endure. But, when I read how much that bit of bread meant to both commander and soldier, it put everything into new perspective. Thanks so much for this wonderful gift! Gwynnyd: Oh, Gwynnyd... I'm at work, and here you have me bouncing up and down on my chair. How exciting! Aren't those snippets of history just amazing? Every time I read the books something else that needs to be explained comes to mind. It's horrible, but in a good way. And, of course, now you have me wondering what is my drabble about. Would you give me a little peak? ;-) Thank you so much, Gwynnyd! I can't wait to read it. Barbara: Title: up to 15 words Body: exactly 100 words Footnotes: up to, say, 1000 words... Just how I feel about it! ;-) Barbara and Gwynnyd: oh, c'mon - there's plenty of clues in here! Gwynnyd I *know* -- that's why it's driving me crazy that I can't figure it out... - Barbara, who is going back to figuring out how Tolkien's marginal jotting about the Drúedain in the Drúwaith Iaur fit into the Invasion of the Westfold by Saruman... Now it's driving me crazy, too! Please, please... have mercy on me! Marta: I am so glad my request inspired such gems! Thank you so much for thinking about me on my birthday month. I'm so delighted! I must have started a dozen drabbles for you... Many, many ideas. I know! I'm so glad you've all been helping me and enlightened me on so many of them. Thank you! Maturity: This was absolutely beautiful. The relationship between Elrond and Aragorn has taken up a lot of my time from the first time I read the books. I think I'm still awestruck at how Elrond, knowing what would happen in the end and what sorrow would come to him, still he did his duty- not only did his duty, but loved Aragorn as a son. What's more, knowing that it was Aragorn's forefather (Elrond's own kin) that caused all the coming grief for him and his people, and still he managed to love, help, teach... Aragorn's side of the story is no less amazing. Loving Elrond, having seen him as a Father, and to know that he'd be the cause of his grief... it must have been heartbreaking too. I love how the progression of Aragorn's journey, from Estel to Elessar, is shown through Elrond's eyes in Maturity. I particularly love the use of names at the end (another topic that fascinates me!) What a bittersweet moment for Elrond and Aragorn. I am delighted, and grateful, that you shared this with us. Thank you so much, Marta! And, I'm so glad you shared Homecomings too ;-) You'll find feedback at your forum. Thank you all! Coming back from vacation (and being as tired as...) and finding these has been great. Thanks again! Starlight *delighted with her new nuzgul-slinger status* P.S. I've also enjoyed all the Faramir drabbles for Eldamir, too. It's been great to see Faramir in such different situations. Thanks, everybody!

For Pippin's Lass

That is for a horse-lover. The Drabble almost killed me. That just *may* be the reason why it took me so long. It features our two favourite Rangers, an OHC (original horse character *lol*) and faithful Roheryn. Fit for a King Halbarad felt Nendili tense beneath him, something was approaching that unsettled the mare. “Îdh, mellon nin,” calming her he urged the horse forward with some difficulty. A short time later he saw the reason for her behaviour in a little glade. His captain was approaching him on a mighty steed. Both dismounted and greeted each other warmly. Then Halbarad eyed the proud sorrel stallion standing next to his best friend. He held his head high and seeing the slightly concave blaze with the white star Halbarad said “This horse needs no adornment. Verily Aragorn, he is fit for a king.” The elvish means "Calm, my friend" Vil

Re: For Pippin's Lass

Aw; I love drabbles and stories centering on animals; and this is a great example of one. Of course Aragorn's horse would have a white star on his head! RAKSHA THE DEMON, who hopes that Nendili survived the Pelennor....

Re: RISING STAR for Eldamir's birthday

Thank-you so much! This is wonderful... and I assure you I don't mind the extra 600 words! Heehee! I love hearing what people think about why different characters were named certain ways... This fits in perfectly!

I liked this! For some reason, I had never noticed that their names shared an element--boron. Not a coincidence, I am sure. Then I stagger toward the door, with these two unlikely brothers at my back. This was a great image, and I think you have it right that poor Eomer would be almost more freaked out than the new father, LOL! Branwyn

I'm glad you enjoyed the piece, Eldamir - hope you've had a great birthday! Branwyn, thanx for commenting. I would imagine Eomer could easily drive Faramir crazy when they're waiting for Eowyn's child - good thing that Faramir is a very patient man! I actually got the idea of Eomer and Faramir clasping hands when different sounds were heard in the bedchamber from John Galsworthy's novel The White Monkey, where the father and the husband of a pregnant woman wait anxiously for the delivery of her first child. RAKSHA THE DEMON

Hi Starlight I'm so glad you liked the drabbles. (On a Side note, just now I was reminded of "Fiddler on the Roof," when Tevvye says: We all have our own place in Anatevka... [or something like that. The gist of it being, everybody, in their own way, contributes to the community.]) Yes! That was exactly what I was thinking of: that my OC may not spend his time sticking swords into orcs, but what he does is just as important in its own way. I'm so glad that came across. Glad you came back to so many nice presents and hope you have a Happy Birthday when it comes around! Cheers, Liz

Happy Birthday, Dwim!

I hope you have a great birthday :-D Here's a little present for you. I've been thinking about this one all month, and it still needs a few footnotes. There is so much to explore in this time-period, though, and this moment is one of my favorites. Sort of "the quiet breath before the plunge," Kin-strif-ingly speaking. Hope you have a great day! Cheers, (with virtual piña colada- it's getting hot down South!) Starlight *** Succession ‘He will die tonight, Aldamir,’ Ornendil said. ‘He’s endured over-long.’ ‘Vinyarion brought back reports. We will meet; he’ll tell us what he’s seen. Father will want to confirm rumors of the movements in the South. We will work on a strategy that-’ ‘What strategy will avail? We’re already besieged.’ ‘Betrayed. But not defeated,’ said Aldamir, a fierce glare in his eyes. ‘Eldacar shall be King after Valacar, and Ornendil after him. We will not surrender!’ ‘Oh, Aldamir… Now I wish you’d given your son a different name. Will they ever accept Vinyarion?’ A grim smile. ‘I did it on purpose.’ *** "There was already rebellion in the southern provinces when King Valacar grew old... Therefore when Eldacar succeeded his father there was war in Gondor." (iii. Eriador, Arnor, and the Heirs of Isildur. Appendix A. RotK) "-Valacar. In his time the first disaster of Gondor began, the Kin-Strife. -Eldacar son of Valacar (at first called Vinitharya) deposed 1437. -Castamir the Usurper †1447. -Eldacar restored, died 1490. -Aldamir (second son of Eldacar) †1540. -Hyarmendacil II (Vinyarion) 1621." (ii. The Realms in Exile. The Souther Line. Heirs of Anárion. Kings of Gondor. Appendix A. RotK)

Re: Happy Birthday, Dwim!

There is so much to explore in this time-period, though, and this moment is one of my favorites. Sort of "the quiet breath before the plunge," Kin-strif-ingly speaking. Yes, there's quite a bit of tension, there, to say nothing of siege engines! Thank you very much, Starlight! It's nice to see Aldamir with a few lines, and it's an interesting take on Vinyarion's name, although I have this sense that it's actually Sindarin, not the quasi-Gothic Tolkien used for his Northmen. But on the other hand, why not? I like Aldamir's decision to rub his Northern heritage in the faces of rebellious others, even if it's not exactly diplomatic, heh heh. One question: "He will die tonight... He's endured over-long"—I assume the "he" here is Castamir, yes? And what might that mean? I sense assassination schemes may be afoot... [edit] Oh wait, never mind. *smacks self in head* "He"=Valacar, Succession. Brain fart, and I don't even get to blame it on pina coladas, sadly!

For Eldamir

May 23 - Eldamir: While I realize that I'm extremely late... I thought I might as well post this anyways, and see what happens! My birthday is on the 23rd, and I'd like a drabble about Faramir. I don't have anything too specific in mind, but nothing sexually explicit, please! Faramir as requested! Illusions “It’s not true, is it?” Imrahil looked at his younger nephew. A suspicion of tears lurked in the corners of the boy’s eyes. Faramir’s words spilled over themselves. “That Captain Thorongil is dead because he was stupid.” “As far as I know, he is alive, and still fighting the Enemy in the east. Who told you that?” Faramir’s lip quivered and he swallowed hard. “Stupid! Like Eärnur. Heading off to fight the Enemy and not known dead.” Denethor, leave your sons some heroes. Imrahil drew Faramir close. “Thorongil is very clever. Did I ever tell you about the time…” (and thanks to Liz for the sugggestion of what part of Farmir's life to write about) Gwynnyd

Many happy returns, Dwim! A Kinstrife drabble, per request, slightly edited from the version posted at the Yahoo group. -------- He was in Osgiliath when Castamir overthrew the upstart Northman, and he had rejoiced, for surely the ascent of pure Numenorean blood meant that the great days of Gondor had come again. Then had come the news: lists published, of enemies of the state . Now he stood in the market square, sharing the fate of the proscribed: condemned unheard, estate confiscated, name and honour utterly erased from the public record, awaiting the headsman's axe. Belatedly a gift of his people came to him: he saw Anduin running red with pure Numenorean blood. His eyes were still open when they mounted his head on a spear and displayed it on the riverbank. ------- Have a wonderful year! cheers, Maya

Re: May Birthday Babes - for Dwim

May 25 - Dwimordene: To suit my mood, something about Castamir, Ornendil, and/or Eldacar. Something Kin-Strifish, which can include the arguments and tensions preceding the actual war. Post-war stuff would also be welcomed. Thanks! Oh, such a cheerful birthday topic. Death, destruction and civil war! To each her own, I suppose. May your birthday have been much happier than this drabble! What makes a Barbarian? Horses gone, the dogs also. Starved rat, a feast carefully shared. Harbouring strength enough to lift blade and none spared to quench fires raging unchecked through Osgiliath. “Eldacar! We cannot hold.” The rightful king must flee a once-fair city. “Pure-blooded filthy barbarian! He burns his own.” Escape barely possible, and much abandoned. “You cannot go in, my lord. ‘Twould be death.” Hands held him back from the door, heat from the flames searing through mail. The palantír could not be left for that haughty rebel. Ballistas set and loosed. Eldacar watched until the tower fell into the waters of Anduin. At last he (Eldacar) was besieged in Osgiliath, and held it long, until hunger and the greater forces of the rebels drove him out, leaving the city in flames. In that siege and burning the Tower of the Stone of Osgiliath was destroyed, and the palantír was lost in the waters. Gwynnyd

Gwynnyd - loved the ILLUSIONS drabble. It makes sense that even when young, Faramir wouldn't complain that it was his father who bad-mouthed Thorongil; and it makes sense that Denethor had a low opinion of Thorongil's exploits. Having heroes is important; but Denethor wouldn't want his sons to regard Thorongil as one.... Maya - excellent Kin-strife drabble. Very scary and well-written. RAKSHA THE DEMON

For Dwim

Happy birthday, Dwim. This is stretching the definition of your request for "post-war stuff" to its limits, but I hope it will suit. Flux Ithilien did not forget the slaughter, the great hunger, the fires, the blood poured out upon its stones. All of it done in the name of purity, to force upon men a false settlement. Yet all that is certain is that time will wear the world and change will come. Time will play out its patterns in the ripples on the river, and the sunlight on the leaves. Colours will commingle like the threads on the loom of Vairë herself: black for Númenor, fair for Rohan. One day all of Gondor will greet Ithilien’s first Prince and his northern son. *** "The slaughter and destruction done in the city at [Castamir’s] bidding far exceeded the needs of war. This was remembered in Minas Anor and in Ithilien..."

Re: For Dwim

Nice one, Altariel! I imagine that the purity of Numenorean blood, once important to many, including Faramir, seemed less crucial after the Ring War...I like the concept of the colours mingling like the threads of Vaire's loom. RAKSHA THE DEMON

Re: For Dwim

Thanks, Raksha!

I've said it on the list already, but Maya, Gwynnyd, Una—thank you very much for the lovely drabbles!

Super-late for Loremaster

I've been trying and trying to think of something, and then this popped out at an insta-drabble session, albeit in slightly shorter form. Not really a celebration so much as just a moment. And no title as yet. *sigh* I'm bad at titling drabbles. Hope you had a good one! The laughter of children floated down the hallway, and Imrahil wondered if his nephews always arose so early. He heard Finuilas chastising them for being so noisy, and their apologetic replies, then Faramir’s accusatory whisper of, “I told you you were too loud.” A fierce, but hushed argument ensued, just down the corridor. Knotting a blanket round his hips, Imrahil waited for a lull in the conversation. When it came,he leapt into the hallway, roaring at the top of his lungs. The boys ran, shrieking with laughter, as Denethor poked his head out of his room and smiled, seeing the ferocious monster that was attacking his sons.

For Starlight

EdorasLass - A sweet insight into the early life of Boromir and Faramir, with Happy!Denethor, and Imrahil playing monster. Seems like a good place for me to insert something a good deal less pleasant involving another pair of young brothers. HAPPY BIRTHDAY (in two days) STARLIGHT - here's a Silmarillion mega-drabble gapfiller, 400 words not including title or postscript. REFUGE The brothers are parted from their mother by a wave of reddened swords. Too little to fight, they hide in a storeroom. Huddled in the dark, Elrond holds Elros close, a dagger in his other hand. Beyond the shut door, their last refuge, they hear angry roars and terrible shrieks. The door opens and two great hands seize them, then hurl them roughly onto the floor. Elrond’s dagger is knocked from his hand. He sees his tutor and a guard lying bloodied and unmoving on the sea-green carpet. A tall stranger stands over Elrond and Elros. His hair is the color of flame; his face as fearsome as that of the balrog in the tapestries, twisted and awful. Blood drips from the long sword that the warrior raises above them. Elrond tries to say something, anything, but cannot. His heart pounds. The world is broken. His mother must be dead too. Father went away a long time ago. Death has come and there is no one left to save him. But another comes between them and the bloody sword, a dark-haired stranger with sad eyes. A calm voice speaks to the fire-haired warrior and the sword is slowly sheathed. This one bends down and touches Elrond’s cheek with a careful hand. His face is so friendly, so kind, that Elrond finds he can suddenly breathe again without fear. The angry warrior backs out of the chamber, spitting out curses. The dark-haired stranger gathers the children in his arms. No harm will come to them, he assures the brothers. Elrond finds himself unable to stop shaking. Elros’ sniffles turn into sobs; and the stranger makes shushing noises until the cries cease. He gently lifts Elrond and Elros and carries them away. Elrond sees more of his folk fallen in the halls, and closes his eyes against the stranger’s shoulder, too stricken to cry. Home stinks of blood and smoke and rising flames. Home is gone. Many years later, when Elrond has grown into a powerful leader, he will build a hidden sanctuary to shelter the innocent and the weary. But this night, when the brothers lie far from their ruined home, they learn that their rescuer’s name is Maglor. He promises to care for them, and sings until Elros falls asleep. For Elrond, Maglor’s tent is a refuge in this broken world, and Maglor’s encircling arms are the last safe place. For Maglor took pity upon Elros and Elrond, and he cherished them, and great love grew after between them, as little might be thought - Of the Voyage of Earendil, THE SILMARILLION

Another for Starlight

Eomer & Lothiriel in Rohan. Another Sea The world was made of grass and sky, knit together by the wind that pulled Lothiriel's hair across her eyes. Yellow waves as high as her horse's belly rippled away to the horizon, where the mountains far to south and east were smudges less substantial than the thunderheads piled above them. A hawk sailed overhead, its shriek ringing against the vast cloud-streaked bowl of the sky, and the unending scour of the wind echoed the rush of surf on shore. It sounded like home. "I never thought to find another ocean here," she whispered. Eomer took her hand, and smiled.

Re: Another for Starlight

A gorgeous word-picture. And you only used 100 words! Very nice! RAKSHA THE DEMON

Starlight - you'll have to be patient

May 30 - Starlight: I think this year I would like gapfillers or Middle-earth mysteries. Your present - a nice little nuzgul I thought I could easily defang - is now at over 1000 words and about, oh, a third of the way through. Please be patient. And I still have two things I can't quite work out... if they're there, but not mentioned.. it's just odd, and if they are NOT there, it's even wierder, so ... ... shambles off mumbling to herself ... Gwynnyd

Thank you, Raksha! What a great present! I love this moment, and I've always puzzled about that unlikely relationship between Maglor and Earendil's sons. I wonder what Maglor saw in them, and vice-versa, and you've given us a powerful story about first-impressions... I love it! I also liked very much how you tie it in with Elrond building Imladris. It makes so much sense... Thanks again for making my birthday special. Cheers, Starlight

Re: Another for Starlight

This was so lovely, Forodwaith! Thank you! You did a superb job with the descriptions, and I am in awe of your word choices here. I love how everything reminds her of home, even though everything is unique in its own way. I love how she learns to see with different eyes, yet manages to stay "afloat" amid the changes. I love it! Thank you so much for such a beautiful birthday present. Cheers, Starlight

Re: Starlight - you'll have to be patient

Your present - a nice little nuzgul I thought I could easily defang - is now at over 1000 words and about, oh, a third of the way through. Please be patient. Oh, I will be! You have no idea how excited I am about this one. I'll be good and wait :-) Thanks, Gwynnyd! And sorry this little nuzgul has caused so much trouble. I reckon he's grown quite out of proportion, hasn't he? Thanks so much! Cheers, Starlight *excited*

Starlight's B-day - a quad drabble...

Gapfiller - what the Fellowship did while they waited for Gandalf to find his way, lost once again in the halls of Moria.... Frodo stared, aghast, at his right hand; he could see through it, to the arm of the chair beneath. Well, he couldn’t see through it, just through the spaces between his fingers. The chair was the ugliest thing he had ever seen; he wondered who the carpenter was. He had not realized he spoke aloud, when a bellow washed through the hall as the owner of the chair roared into the room, knocking down the door. “How dare you criticize my chair, you little pipsqueak?” it cried. “Son of a halfling!” Frodo was appalled. How could anyone call him such a thing, slur his dear father? He strode towards the troll who had been distracted by Sam’s lovely curls, and tapped it on the knee. “My dear fellow,” he said politely, as all Hobbit’s tend to be polite. “What you said of my father was rude. We prefer the name Hobbits to halflings; I would have you remember that.” “Aaarrrrggggghhhh,” the troll roared again. “You have the taste of an elf!” he screamed, at which comment Legolas stride forth, with a retort on his lips. Aragorn pulled him aside and turned to the troll himself. “What say you?” he asked, and asked, and asked. Legolas apologized for his friend. “He gets like that sometimes, stuck on a phrase that he happens to like.” “What is this,” the troll screamed, “a diversion?” “There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world,” said Gandalf, “and that chair is definitely one of them.” “I think it is quite lovely. It reminds me of the cheese and sausage omelet that Sam made on Weathertop,” Pippin said, almost sobbing at the memory of the lost omelet. “Fool of a Took,” Gandalf snarled. “Throw yourself into its cushions and rid us of your stupidity.” The troll slammed its huge body into the chair. A contented sigh escaped its lips. “What new devilry is this?” Boromir demanded. “In a little while, I will take you on a nice tour of my abode, but for the moment, I must rest; all this bellowing has tired me out.” “Your abode,” Gimli sputtered at which Legolas placed his hand over the Dwarf’s mouth, pulling him out the door. The Fellowship tiptoed out. “Don’t look at your hand again, will you Frodo,” Merry pled. “I couldn’t stand the thought of what you might see next.”

Re: Starlight's B-day - a quad drabble...

Yay, Agape! This is great!! I love humourous stuff -- I need to write it more often! It really, really reminded me of Gandalf's Chair in the Bagenders parodies.

Re: Starlight's B-day - a quad drabble...

Oh, but this was splendid, Agape! What an awesome way to start my day. Now I won't be out of FotR with all those great lines you picked. It was like watching the movie all over again. Thank you so very much! This was just wonderful. Cheers, Starlight

Thanks!

Oops, sorry. I haven't checked this in a while. I loves it! There's Finduilas, Denethor, Imrahil, and the Brothers Mir! Thanks, EdorasLass! Namarie! Loremaster

Re: Thanks!

So glad you liked it! Hope you had a good day! I will jump at the chance to do anything with Imrahil. I don't know why that one took me so long to write!

Re: May Birthday Babes - Laaaaate for Riverotter

Hey Riverotter! It's only two months (to the day) late...and it is better to spread out a birthday. Wouldn't want all the excitement at once. You wanted encounters between two characters so here you are - a chance meeting between two folk in RIvendell. Cheers!! Vistula ~~~~ Well Met “Up the steps, turn left, down two doors…” So intent on directions, and encumbered by a laden tray, the mumbling Hobbit didn’t see the Elven obstacle until it was too late. Gasping, he wheeled about to avoid a collision, crockery and consumables tilting to the stones in a lively clatter. “Oh!” Quick hands grasped cartwheeling arms, preventing the Hobbit from spilling along with the dinner. Steadied, Sam gripped the rail. “Beggin’ yer pardon.” “My apologies.” One spoke over the other, then both laughed. They crouched together to gather broken crockery and strewn food. “Thank ye kindly,” Sam flustered, “Master…?” “Legolas.”

Vistula! This is great! I think maybe because I love the idea of Legolas with food splattered all down his pristine front...

Thank you for my present. It was great to see Sam meeting Legolas. RiverOtter

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum