Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: March 2005 Birthdays - 3

March 2005 Birthdays - 3

Post all new drabbles and requests here, please!

March 3 - Celandine Brandybuck: I'd still appreciate drabbles about any of the Steward's family. Time, place, topic up to the author's discretion!

March 6 - Agape4Gondor: Is there a chance I might find a Boromir drabble here for me?

March 6 - Khazar-Khum: For drabbles--let's see the bad guys in action, shall we?

March 7 - Narwen Almiriel: Firstly, sorry for such short notice! My birthday is on the 7th of March. I only joined HASA a few days ago, and was so thrilled to find that I could request a birthday drabble. And I can’t even seem to make up my mind…Let’s see…Could I have a drabble about either a). Celeborn and Galadriel being reunited in Aman, or b). Finwë and either one of his wives (or both, even…) or c). Melian and Elwë. Please? Pretty please?

March 11 - Erin (Sangfroid101): Something involving the Teleri- anything. It can be a teleri reference by some LOTR characters, or a drabble at sea, wherever, whenever. I'm not picky. I just like the teleri. :-)

March 14 - Elena Tiriel: I'd like a drabble about one or more male character(s) being heroic (however you wish to define that term -- it's not limited to deeds in battle...). My favorite races are Elves (not Kinslayers) and Rohirrim... but Faramir will do in a pinch. Or even Gimli. (Especially if he's with Legolas...) And I *love* it when someone picks out an obscure corner of canon to write about... but that's not a requirement, just icing on the (many-candled) birthday cake...

March 20 - Vistula the Dunedain: My birthday (the BIG 40) is March 20th and I would LOVE drabbles that have YOUR favorite character somehow interacting with MY favorite character. For those few of you who haven't already guessed who THAT may be, the answer is, of course, Sam.

Anytime, any place, any situation is great! (And I don't mind slash either, if you are so inclined.)

March 23 - Tárion Anaróre: I would reeeeeeeeeeeally love something with the sons of Feanor. Especially the younger ones, if you're up to it! I'd also take anything with Elladan & Elrohir if you don't want to do kinslayers (I love them to death). (Just no slash please!)

March 29 - Meril (Allie): I'm incredibly indecisive. I want (a) a happy moment between Feanor and Nerdanel, or (b) anything Houses of Healing, or (c) Galadriel and Celeborn anywhere. If you incorporate all of those (definitely not required!), I'll drop dead from shock.

March 31 - Forodwaith: I'd love drabbles about Arwen (a criminally underwritten character IMO), especially if they focus on a part of her life other than her relationship with Aragorn. If you're an Arwen-hater, write me a drabble about Sam and his garden and I'll be just as happy.

Re: March 2005 Babies - Take 3

EdorasLass, loved the drabble about Morgoth I just realized on a re-read that one line could make it sound like it was Morgoth, although I intended it to be the balrog in Moria. But if it works both ways, take your pick which one you like best! And I'm glad now I didn't do a "bad guys" one on Grima, Raksha! I liked the idea that Grima started as a scribe -- very nice.

Feedback, and lots of it

Broken "My son," he wept, father and child shaking with their shared grief, "oh, my son." And neither knew nor cared which son he meant. Nicely ambiguous ending! Very well-played to set up future unhappy events. Child's Eye View Vistula, this was a fun little drabble to read. Elanor's translation of the story both into a child's terms but also into terms that a hobbit would be able to grasp was a great example of how stories evolve to suit their tellers and audiences. To Shield a Shield-maiden He would have her, replace the one warrior’s death with a thousand little ones. Ouch. Since I'm not familiar with the "little death" as a term, although certainly the über-sweet fictional phenomenon I've seen quite often, I didn't, at first, pick up on the double word-play here. But no matter, it just makes explicit how many ways one can die while still living. Théodred has a point, and Éowyn will repeat it in RoTK, that a cage is worse than death. Mallorn Day "We don’t need a holiday to remember that day," Sam told Merry and Pippin. He remembered that day too well… "How about a party?" Sam asked. "Sure," Pippin answered and smiled. "We are Hobbits!" Cute! What struck me was how nicely timed this drabble was to make use of that bookend line "We are Hobbits!" Not *any* excuse for a party, but any means are fair means for finding the right excuse! Sea Change That was beautiful, Forodwaith, and with just that touch of the other-worldly that Elves need, even or perhaps especially when the Elf in question is a stranger in a strange land. A Good Prognosis Well, I'm a sucker for anything that makes good use of Ioreth—I loved her appearance, listening at keyholes to her patients. And Merry's complaint is dead on; it seems that even in Middle-earth, hospital food is atrocious. ;-) The Healing Touch Well, for a first drabble attempt, this was very good—very poignant. I liked your Brannir, and the inversion of the cat's place in the Houses, from bearer of diseases and death to comfort at the end. Was it a black cat, too, perchance? Out of feline-killing curiosity, are you going to try trimming it, now that you've got all the cardinal points on the paper? Guest of Honor Brave Eomer, facing the death of a thousand dolls! Nicely humorous turn of events, and having a brother myself (even if a younger one), I know the exact expression Eomer is wearing when he faces that door. Serpent's Ease Excellent study of the space between Grima's ears—dark, subtle, cunning. I particularly liked the closing lines: If he must go forth to his true master and leave his pride in the Golden Hall, he would see it burned to ashes, and the blood of Eorlingas run red from Edoras to Helm’s Deep! Perhaps a serpent cannot truly walk among men. But he can still slay them. A very good portrayal of the sort of all or nothing mentality of a fundamentally resentful man given too much power for anyone's good.
And that's just March 2. :-S And I've got to make my way back to my own salt mines. *sigh* Final word of thanks to Vistula—I'm pleased you...um... "enjoyed" Unspeakable. Arador tells me that it's good to know his sacrifice was appreciated. ;-)

Happy early birthday, Vistula

Cursed nuzgûl. Vistula, this one's for you. It's a quadrabble that serves as a bookend to Ruby Gamgee's birthday drabble. Enjoy! The End of the Road "He is in Master Elrond's hands, Samwise," Gandalf had said, as if that were reason not to fear. But the door had shut, and so Sam had found himself wandering the halls of the Last Homely House alone. Last time I let them pack me off to the baths, he thought, feeling betrayed. Well, that was a bit strong, perhaps, but though he could not rest, he was weary, and words were hard to come by. At length, he came upon the porch, and after standing awhile, sank down upon the steps and sat there, chin in hands, watching the shadows wax before a red horizon. It was some time before he realized he was not alone. "Oh, it's you," he said to the other's knees, which in truth were all he could see without craning his neck. But he knew the boots by now, and Strider descended a few steps before settling himself in a rather sprawling posture upon the stair just below. He slouched against the railing, eyes closed, and it occurred to Sam that their erstwhile guide was exhausted—as exhausted, perhaps, as Sam himself. An awkward, uncomfortable revelation, that, as all the mistrustful days made themselves felt suddenly, and with them inevitably all the times he might've been more helpful, might've made the journey less wearing. Doubtless that was why his voice sounded a bit gruff when he ventured to ask, "Beggin' your pardon, but should you be out here?" And when the Ranger tipped his head back and looked a question at him, he explained quickly, "You look a bit run out." "I am a bit run out," Strider admitted wryly. But his eyes were grave as he said more pointedly, "Nearly as much as yourself." A pause. "He is still with us, Sam." "I know," Sam replied, then hesitated, before he said softly, "And so are you, after all's said and done." Strider said nothing, but something flickered in that keen face, as Sam rose suddenly and stuck out his hand. "I said I'd be first to say 'I'm sorry' and 'thank you'," he declared, with a sudden rush of confidence. "Well, I am sorry. And I do thank you." A slow smile spread over Strider's face, as he replied, "A long road we've come already." Sam found his hand engulfed in a firm grip, then, as he finished, "May it lengthen between friends."

Re: Happy early birthday, Vistula

Dwimordene: THE END OF THE ROAD: AAAAAAAHHH!!! Hooray! So that's how they worked out thier differences; I love both the inner monologue (such as it is) and dialogue in this: so VERY Sam! (AND Strider!) Ann: A GOOD PROGNOSIS Oh, how do I love this! Ok possibly to do with the fact that I've been covering similer ground (as you are WELL aware) (and I love this particular odd couple/dream team!) but mostly because, well, what can I say: Merry's 'hobbitiness' and the fact that you've captured one of those silly little moments when recovering from a crisis that makes you feel alive again.... You know what I mean. Very very very impressed. Soubrettina

The Steward's family, for Cel

Not a happy moment, I'm afraid, but since you didn't specify... Interment Denethor had imagined his wife lying in state in Rath Dinen, waiting silently for him to rejoin her, but Finduilas' quietly unyielding will had won her way in death as in life. Now he stood on a headland by the sea - a foolish place to bury one's dead - and watched her body lowered into a grave beside her father and mother. His young sons stood by him, one at each hand, and his grip left marks in the nap of their black velvet tunics. How old would they be when his body was laid on a stone bier?

Hi Erin, first off: Happy Birthday! Then, I am very sorry, but the elf muse was unavailable for some reason. I only caught hold of the Hobbit! muse. I hope you like this nevertheless! Yours Juno ~~~*~~~ The treetops shifted in the gentle zephyr of a summer-evening. A blackbird, perching on the mallorn in the party field, was singing a hymn to this peaceful Wedmath-day. Sam was tired. His joints ached from the day’s hard work. There was dirt under his fingernails, but it was the dirt of rich, fertile soil. The trade of his small gardening business was picking up. Sometimes dark dreams still woke him. But when he turned to embrace his wife, when he thought of his golden-haired daughter asleep in the other room, he knew that this life had been worth any sacrifice. ~~~*~~~

Very nice, quiet Sam-drabble; focussing on his passion and vocation of gardening. Sam would be very hard for me to write; but you characterize him very well. RAKSHA THE DEMON

Happy belated birthday, Cel

For the historian among us, even if it's a somewhat wry commentary... Mathesis He'd always had a head for patterns. As a lad, he read his politics with The Geometry at hand. A sword's arc, a house's angles, a wheel's turn—these drew his eye, while the minstrel's song had him noting: third, whole, sixth, ninth. He saw golden angles in flowers, saw vectors in every colonnade, and Nodolantë was so many differential lines, traced in the mind's eye. Boyhood's long gone when over breakfast one day, he listens to Faramir discuss Mithrandir's lecture on history. "What do you think?" his son asks. Denethor considers, then shrugs. "It's all a matter of timing."

Re: The Steward's family, for Cel

Not a happy moment, I'm afraid, but since you didn't specify... Interment I myself am a fan of less-than-happy-moments (no, really?), and this is just lovely. Very minimalist, yet very affecting.

Re: Happy belated birthday, Cel

Dwim, That was bloody brilliant! I had a moment of epiphany, seeing Denethor-the-mathematician... cheers, Maya

AAAAAAAHHH!!! Hooray! So that's how they worked out thier differences;I love both the inner monologue (such as it is) and dialogue in this: so VERY Sam! (AND Strider!) Thanks, Soubrettina! I'd been wondering, too, how it came to be that, in Gandalf's words, "[Sam] has no more doubts" about Aragorn. It's been fun to let those two characters bounce off each other a bit. Dwim

Hi, Maya! Good to see you back here. My dad was a mathematician, and an engineer; but nothing like Denethor. I wonder if Denethor sees the world mathematically, and Faramir sees the world in terms of musical terms and concepts, and they're a lot more alike than they know; since math and music overlap a bit.... RAKSHA THE DEMON

That was bloody brilliant! I had a moment of epiphany, seeing Denethor-the-mathematician... Hi Maya! Very glad to hear that--I've been wanting to do something with the super-orderly analytic side of Denethor for a long time, something that didn't involve his political maneuvering, but just let me get access to what shapes his world outside of all that. And although I run shrieking from trig and higher math, there's something about the notion of Denethor curling up with the Middle-earth equivalent of Euclid for relaxation that makes sense to me. The real test for this Denethor will be if Marta doesn't laugh herself sick reading this—Marta, are you out there? How does the world look from inside a geometrical frame of mind? Anyhow, good to see you about.

Sorry about the accidental double post - deleting the first one.

Hi Raksha, Thanks! It's good to be back. I'm frantically catching up on my reading. I wonder if Denethor sees the world mathematically, and Faramir sees the world in terms of musical terms and concepts, and they're a lot more alike than they know; since math and music overlap a bit.... Wow- that is a fascinating thought. There are lots of mathematicians in my family, and all of them, without exception, are musicians as well... something about harmony and patterns, apparently. This is a theme worth exploring, possibly? cheers, Maya

I wonder if Denethor sees the world mathematically, and Faramir sees the world in terms of musical terms and concepts, and they're a lot more alike than they know; since math and music overlap a bit... In my world, Faramir is philosophical, which would definitely qualify him as a mathematical geek in the days when philosophy and geometry were tied at the hip: "Let no one ignorant of geometry enter". And it would go right along with the Appendix claim that Denethor loved Boromir the more so because they were unlike (suggesting that Faramir is liked less well because he and Denethor are too much alike for comfort). And I bet you're right, that Faramir is also musical... which suggests Denethor is as well. To me, it'd be a question of technical versus emotional access to the art, I suppose. I'd say Faramir would be the better musician, but that Denethor would probably have a superior understanding of the theory behind it all.

The real test for this Denethor will be if Marta doesn't laugh herself sick reading this—Marta, are you out there? How does the world look from inside a geometrical frame of mind? I can't speak for Marta, but it was an astonishing revelation to me. It sounded very plausible, especially since I know a couple of mathematicians pretty well... it's easy to imagine how a love of abstraction can lead someone like Denethor to be an observer, someone looking at everything from the slightly superior perspective of the analyst, rather than the participant. It is a dangerous perspective, perhaps: leading to a false sense of detachment, until he's tripped up by the very real emotional repercussions of his actions. Because of course, he is a very passionate man as well. Another variation on the theme of Denethor's virtues, when taken to extremes, turning to vices? I'd love to see you explore this take on him: maybe we need to take this discussion someplace else? cheers, Maya

I'd love to see you explore this take on him: maybe we need to take this discussion someplace else? Walk this way and feel free to repost pertinent comments...

Thank you, Raksha! I really wanted to give Erin something about the Teleri. But what happened were: the quiet Sam drabble, a very naughty Hobbit drabble and a passionate Éomer drabble. That's how Sam ended up here. Cheers! Juno

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you (one for each 100 words) Dwim!! The End of the Road was just the pick up I needed after an "end of the rope" sort of day at work today. I just love your image of Sam and how you show that in spite of his own weariness and worry, he can still be concerned that Strider looks tired too. It is great to see that he can also admit his mistake and make amends in his own simple way. Thanks for including the link to Ruby's drabble too...I'd read it but couldn't quite remember how it went. It was great to be able to go back to it. Almost like getting a second drabble! You're a dear!!! Thanks again! Cheers, Vistula

Very nicely done Juno...and I'm not saying this just because Sam is in it. LOL! It's a sweet post war moment where the ache is in Sam's body and not his heart and he can finally feel a little peace in his world. Cheers, Vistula

I really wanted to give Erin something about the Teleri. But what happened were: the quiet Sam drabble, a very naughty Hobbit drabble and a passionate Éomer drabble. That's how Sam ended up here. Hmmmm....very naughty Hobbit drabble.... Vistula Who finds that thought intriguing

What a sad scene, Forodwaith. Very different one of Denethor indeed. I particularly liked the image of his hands leaving marks in the nap of their black velvet tunics. Vistula

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you (one for each 100 words) Dwim!! You're welcome! I didn't do it on purpose, but looking at your request again, it's a drabble a decade. Nice and neat. ;-) I just love your image of Sam and how you show that in spite of his own weariness and worry, he can still be concerned that Strider looks tired too. It is great to see that he can also admit his mistake and make amends in his own simple way. Within his limits, Sam's a wise person when it comes to people. And I can't even see this as *too* much of a mistake, on the order of him having done something actually damaging that needs to be amended. I think Aragorn understands Sam's position very well, because he is a Ranger who invites mistrust and also has to be mistrustful to do his job. One line I had been toying with to signal Aragorn's acceptance was something like "Friends give way for duty—there is no shame in that." Sam was, after all, just doing his duty by Frodo and it's in one sense nothing *personal* against Strider that he kept him at a wary distance; he'd have been that way with any stranger who tried to join them on the journey. That Sam makes his former distrust a personal matter—that's where friendship starts. Thanks for including the link to Ruby's drabble too...I'd read it but couldn't quite remember how it went. You're welcome. The resolution depends so much on it, I figured I'd better not leave it out. Have a good weekend after your rough Friday! Dwim

But what happened were: the quiet Sam drabble, a very naughty Hobbit drabble and a passionate Éomer drabble. That's how Sam ended up here. Hmmmm....very naughty Hobbit drabble.... Vistula Who finds that thought intriguing A shiny new penny to the person who guess which two words in Juno's sentence caught my attention. Hey Juno -- where are these other drabbles with which you tease us so?

Re: Happy Birthday, Forodwaith!

Thank you, EdorasLass! I must have missed this during the email outage - what a nice surprise to find it now. And a perceptive drabble, too; how intimidating a first encounter with an elf must have been for most mortals. Thanks! I'm very intimidated by Tolkien's elves -- I have a much different view of elves in my head-- so I will probably never have the nerve to actually tackle them in-depth. Glad you liked it!

Those drabbles resulted from a YIM Challenge between Aranel Took and me and they are posted at my Live Journal! And I would be honoured to welcome you in my little corner of the WorldWideWobble and share them with you! If you are interested, look at the post of March 11th, 11:39 p.m. here! I would be most grateful for any and every comment! And if you are interested in naughty hobbitses I can only recommend the writings of my friend Aranel Took! Yours Juno

Happy Birthday Elena!

Elena Tiriel wrote: "I'd like a drabble about one or more male character(s) being heroic (however you wish to define that term -- it's not limited to deeds in battle...)" Thanks for a really interesting prompt, Elena - just what is being heroic, anyway? Here's a little moment that's always intrigued me, and which I think is heroic in its own way... He Stands Not Alone "Now is the last chance," Mithrandir shouts. "Run for it!" Run, or be forever entombed in darkness: we cannot get out... Aragorn has Frodo; Merry and Pippin sprint before him, Sam follows- Something about the shape of the air behind me makes me look round: no Dwarf. There the fool stands yet as though carved from the stone of his forefather's tomb. Doom, doom. Afterwards I do not remember choosing. I turn, run, lunge as black-mailed orcs crowd in again; I have him- Not till we pause at the next stair's foot does he look up, panting. "My thanks, Elf." *** "The others followed; but Gimli had to be dragged away by Legolas: in spite of the peril he lingered by Balin's tomb with his head bowed." FoTR, The Bridge of Khazad-Dum. Oh, and Gandalf's opening line is a direct lift from that chapter. [Edited slightly 13/3 as I realised I'd used "turn" three times in three paragraphs...]

That's a lovely if sad image - I'd never thought about Finduilas wanting to be buried by the sea, but it makes perfect sense. Thank you, Forodwaith! Cel

Ooh, thanks Dwim! Yes, Denethor might well see things that way, mightn't he? Makes me wonder how he saw living people! Cel

Happy birthday, Elena Tiriel

Sheesh, you'd think there'd be opportunities for male heroism just lying about the text so thickly you'd trip on them every time you turned a page, but I had to dig for what I wanted! Hope you enjoy! Legacy of the Blessed "And the Dunlendings?" Éowyn inquires. The king her brother sighs. Other matters of the realm talked out alone between them, she comes to the troublesome last. "All tales remember how they never ceased to war with us." "We've hostages still from Helm's Deep," Éowyn reminds him. "For a time; then it's war again." "What think you, brother?" "I think," the king says slowly, "'tis time we remembered ourselves of Cirion and Éorl—how we once were strangers here." Eowyn considers. Finally: "The court shall howl." "So be it. If they love peace, as they say, then let them live it!"

You're welcome! I didn't do it on purpose, but looking at your request again, it's a drabble a decade. Nice and neat. ;-) I didn't even think of that myself, but you are correct. 40 years...400 words...kinda fits:-) Within his limits, Sam's a wise person when it comes to people. And this is exactly how I love to write him. There is something to be said of living a simple and uncomplicated life, and for dealing with situations that arise in that life in a simple way. I think Aragorn understands Sam's position very well, because he is a Ranger... Me too. It was always my view that Aragorn respected Sam for just this reason. Sam was as devoted to his duty to Frodo as Aragorn was to his ultimate goal. Have a good weekend after your rough Friday! Thank you ever so much. Today was much better...and tomorrow should be stellar, since I don't have to work! doing happy dance Cheers! Vistula

Those drabbles resulted from a YIM Challenge between Aranel Took and me and they are posted at my Live Journal! Eomer. Leather coat. You may have broken my head. Is there a "massive fangirl swoon" smiley? And can I just say how dearly I loved "A Wedding Invitation With Consequences"? I've always had a fondness for Treebeard, and this was just wonderful.

Within his limits, Sam's a wise person when it comes to people. And this is exactly how I love to write him. There is something to be said of living a simple and uncomplicated life, and for dealing with situations that arise in that life in a simple way. Oooh! Ooooh! Time for a little SSP -- here is a poem about that very thing in Sam, if you haven't read it. It's The Spring of 1420. Poems are kind of a weird area for me, so let me know what you think. Now let's hope I did that link right. Heh.

Cel said: Makes me wonder how he saw living people! Through a cubist lens? ;-)

Early birthday present for Forodwaith

Hands of a Healer "Glorfindel was sighted bringing them from the Ford; one they bear as though lifeless-" Elrond looks at once from the breathless Elf to his daughter; she nods and is gone. Opening and closing the herbary's many drawers with deft speed, Arwen lists methodically: Willowbark, for fever; nettle, for bleeding; athelas, for- Do not name it. She straightens up. All is ready. Hinges creak: she looks round, then down. "From the Ford?" The normally cheerful voice quavers. "Is-is it Frodo?..." She drops to one knee beside him, takes the small cold hands in hers. "Have courage, Bilbo. Here there is healing." *** Happy early birthday, Forodwaith! I even managed (just) to keep Aragorn out of it (though he did his best to sidle in via the title...) Cheers, Az

Re: Early birthday present for Forodwaith

Oh, very nice! I like the way you showed Arwen's familiarity with the herbs, and her unforced kindness to Bilbo. RAKSHA THE DEMON

Oh, very nice! I like the way you showed Arwen's familiarity with the herbs, and her unforced kindness to Bilbo. Thank you! (I looked the herbs up on botanical.com to make sure I had them plausible...) Given whose daughter and granddaughter she is, healing seems a very natural skill for Arwen to have had, to me. And given Bilbo's close friendship with Aragorn, I suspect he and Arwen would have kept each other's spirits up during the Dunadan's long absences from Rivendell, and become fast friends (others, like Alawa, have written that friendship more and better than I but I like the idea!) Glad you liked it. Az

Thank you, Az - what a wonderful present! I love pieces that show Arwen as a healer, and Bilbo as well is a bonus. This is shaping up to be a great birthday, with all these fabulous drabbles.

Re: March 2005 Babies - Happy B-Day Elena

Happy birthday Elena! I hope you have a most wonderful day. You wanted a male character being heroic...however we might define that term. Well, we all know of Sam's heroism on the quest. What about afterwards. I leave the envisioning of the "terror" to your own minds. I personally think bats... Cheers and happy day! Vistula ~~~ My Hero “Sam!” Rosie shrieked, fleeing the smial. Running toward her cry, Sam threw down his load of garden waste and wrapped her in a circle of strong arms. “What’s wrong lass?” he whispered stroking trembling shoulders. “K…k…kitchen. A…ooooh!” Shuddering, Rosie buried her face in his neck. “Another one?” She nodded, giving him a wide-eyed glance. Trying not to smile, he nodded. “Won’t take a moment.” Releasing him, Rose watched as her husband ventured forth to do battle. “Be careful…” I’ve faced orcs and giant spiders, Sam thought wryly, grabbing a broom at the door, and now I should be careful?

Re: March 2005 Babies - Late for Khazar

Happy late Birthday Khazar! It was a bit hard dragging a "bad" guy drabble out of my cringing muse but I hope this fits the bill. Hope you had a wonderful day! Happy birthday month to you! Cheers, Vistula ~~~ Fallen to Darkness Axes clanged hollowly in the still evening air. In their brutal ringing they spoke doom to the Shirelings who huddled like rabbits in their burrows. Peering from windows and half-cracked doors, they trembled as leather shod feet tramped the lanes. Laughter, the scorn of dark deed-doers, raped the bucolic peacefulness while rough voices yelled: “Here now my lads! Pull it down!” As a crackling sound like distant thunder cleaved the air, somewhere nearby a frantic voice cried: “The Party Tree! They’ve cut it down!” Silence followed, and in the hush before darkness fell, the sky opened its eyes and wept.

It's the Spring of 1420 Oh Edoraslass, I don't know how I missed this when you posted it but I'm glad I went back and looked through my e-mail. This is a wonderful poem! The vivid imagry is great...and so very Sam. The last lines really spoke to my heart it was such a warm and gentle scene. Thank you for sharing it with me... Cheers, Vistula

I’ve faced orcs and giant spiders, Sam thought wryly, grabbing a broom at the door, and now I should be careful? I can just see the expression on his face -- "Well, at least it's not a ROUS." I do love Sam. My car's middle name is Gamgee, actually. Of course my car has a middle name.

Re: March 2005 Babies - Late for Khazar

It was a bit hard dragging a "bad" guy drabble out of my cringing muse but I hope this fits the bill Oh. Yeah, I think this fits the bill.

For Forodwaith March 31

March 31 - Forodwaith: I'd love drabbles about Arwen (a criminally underwritten character IMO), especially if they focus on a part of her life other than her relationship with Aragorn. Maybe not exactly what you had in mind, but I hope you enjoy it anyway! Happy Birthday! “What’s in a name…?” “Aragorn!” Arwen’s lip curls in distaste as she answers Elladan. “Yes, of course I remember him.” Flinty grey eyes with a predatory look. A hard mouth that leered, gathering spittle, when he watched her. Hands seeking to grab and hold, hips grinding into her. Too dignified to struggle, she had stared unflinchingly, hoping the contempt in her eyes lashed him. “It was meant to be.” The hot wet feel of his breath against her ear disgusted her. “Our sons will be kings.” Killed young by wolves: a just fate. “Why would Arathorn choose that name for his son?” she queries. --- Aragorn I † 2327 Aragorn I, it is said, was slain by wolves, Appendix A, Lord of the Rings Gwynnyd

Reply to Marta

(In reply to Marta's post on the last March thread.) Yes, Theodred has always been one of my favourites? (Why do I love the ones that Tolkien only gives us tantalizing hints about?) And his feelings toward the whole Eowyn-Grima situation aren't explored nearly enough. Yes, even Arwen gets more narrative than Théodred, even if it is all in the Appendices. Thank the Valar for Unfinished Tales, which is my absolute favorite Tolkien text after LoTR! (The fact that there it contains so much wonderful material about the hunky Rohirrim is purely, um, coincidental...) You know a drabble is written by a fellow research geek when 100 words requires two footnotes... *Very, VERY big grin* P.S. Forgot to mention how perfect the ending was: "... or so the ancient bards say." How quintessentially Rohirric! I thought so! I think a culture that would have a shieldmaiden would also probably have the opposite - a willingness to let men be honourable by more than the traditionally masculine way (with a sword in his hand). I was thinking mostly in terms of them having such a strong oral tradition, but you are absolutely right, it does seem fitting that they would recognize honor among non-warriors, as well... *quiet fangurly moment* PS- I changed "dance of defence" to "dance of death". Gwynnyd pointed out to me that this was a common term for sword-dances like what I have Eowyn doing. Gwynnyd is always a great help (read: instigator ) to those of us with (not-so-) latent perfectionistic tendencies... Thanks again, Marta! - Barbara

Reply to EdorasLass

(In reply to EdorasLass' post from the previous March thread.) Guest of Honour On the other side of the door, Éomer could hear chattering, laughter, and a voice raised in occasaional irritation. He did not want to go in there. There were a hundred -- nay, a thousand-- other things he wanted to do. But a man could not always do what he wanted. Éomer squared his shoulders, and bravely opened the door. “Éomer !” Éowyn squealed. “You came!” He looked at the dolls that encircled the low table, then at his delighted sister, sighing internally as he gave her a warm smile. “My lady sister,” he said, bowing low, causing Eowyn’s grin to broaden. “Where shall I sit?” “Here.” Éowyn led him to a chair that was as battered as the dolls. “You are the guest of honour -- now you ladies behave,” she frowned, pointing a finger at her other guests. Éomer sat gingerly in the tiny chair, and accepted his cup of stone-cold tea. Ah, EdorasLass, this is just delightful! And how kind Éomer is to his little sister -- so heroic! Puts a new spin on that old phrase: "A man's gotta do what he's gotta do..." *very big smile* Thank you, EdorasLass! - Barbara

Re: Happy Birthday Elena!

He Stands Not Alone Ah, thank you so much, Azalais! This is a joy! As I said on the HA list, your turn of phrase about "the shape of the air behind me" sounds so quintessentially Elven... the fact that you could add so much to my understanding of Elves in just one turn of a phrase in a drabble shows how truly magical words can be. Thank you! - Barbara

Re: Happy birthday, Elena Tiriel

Legacy of the Blessed Ah, Dwim! How optimistic and how heroic! I always hoped that the Ring War put an end to the hostilities between the Rohirrim and the Dunlendings, but it takes present-day heroes to recognize that future possibility when the past has been so mired in conflict. A lovely drabble! The dialog seems "right" to me, and I especially liked the reference to Cirion and Eorl. Thank you! - Barbara P.S. So Dwimmer_laik is your email handle? I didn't want to call you "Dwim" in my reply on the HA list because I kept thinking "Dwim" is Dwimordene, not Dwimmer_laik... sorry that I was confused!

New thread!

And this is post #50! But do continue, please... Allie

Happy birthday, Vistula

Happy Birthday Vistula! Here's a slightly overlong drabble. Hope it pleases! Kindness Another sickroom, many miles, many deeds since the first.A lonely Hobbit sits waiting and worrying outside. The Elf approaches silently, watching him for a moment. "Won't they let you go in?" "No, Mister Legolas," "It's just 'Legolas', Sam. Really, after all this time?" "Oh, no. er, Legolas, they say I would disturb him. But I was with him the whole time, I looked after him! I wasn't, I can't... " The words come out in a frantic rush and tears start to flow. "Hush." Legolas slips a key from his pocket and unlocks the door. Then hands it to Sam. "Don't get caught, please. " Eruwestial

My Hero Ah, that is indeed Samwise! Whether it's a broom or his own troll-hoard sword or Sting or the Phial of Galadriel, he is always valiant and strong! What a true hero! Thank you, Vistula! - Barbara, who thinks that a few of Lady Masterblott's spiders ran away to Hobbiton instead...

Hi Barbara, I responded on the list, but just to reiterate: I'm glad you enjoyed the drabble! The Cirion and Éorl reference was obligatory, both because of your request last year, but also because Éomer's decision feels much flatter without it. P.S. So Dwimmer_laik is your email handle? I didn't want to call you "Dwim" in my reply on the HA list because I kept thinking "Dwim" is Dwimordene, not Dwimmer_laik... sorry that I was confused! Yes, I'm both the Foul Dwimmerlaik and Dwimordene. "Dwimordene" was already taken when I signed up for my yahoo account, and I hate having numbers on my name, so I went with the "dwim"-y alternative. I've not posted nearly as much at yahoo for quite some time, so it's not as well known anymore that I have an evil alter ego.

Oh, how could I miss this! What a gem: heroism at its best, and not only that, but a wonderful glimpse of characterization. This was awesome, Dwim! Thanks! (And thanks to Elena Tiriel for the request) Starlight

(And thanks to Elena Tiriel for the request) Um, my pleasure... truly! - Barbara

My very first drabble for Vistula - a few days early, but the week-end will be hectic. Happy Birthday, V!!! “I don’t trust him, Mister Frodo. I won’t be sleeping none too soon tonight. But you sleep. You need it. I’ll just sit here beside you.” “Sam,” Frodo sighed heavily. “Lord Elrond himself picked him to be one of the Fellowship. Would he not have known if there was danger from him?” “That sounds right and all, Mister Frodo, but as my old Gaffer would say, ‘You can’t stand behind a cow, no matter how friendly it seems.;” Frodo could not help but laugh aloud. “Sam, dear Sam. I will listen to you then, if that is how you feel.”

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum