Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: March 2005 Birthdays - 2

March 2005 Birthdays - 2

March 2005 Babies

Post all March birthday requests here!

March 3 - Celandine Brandybuck: I'd still appreciate drabbles about any of the Steward's family. Time, place, topic up to the author's discretion!

March 6 - Agape4Gondor: Is there a chance I might find a Boromir drabble here for me?

March 6 - Khazar-Khum: For drabbles--let's see the bad guys in action, shall we?

March 7 - Narwen Almirel: Firstly, sorry for such short notice! My birthday is on the 7th of March. I only joined HASA a few days ago, and was so thrilled to find that I could request a birthday drabble. And I can’t even seem to make up my mind…Let’s see…Could I have a drabble about either a). Celeborn and Galadriel being reunited in Aman, or b). Finwë and either one of his wives (or both, even…) or c). Melian and Elwë. Please? Pretty please?

March 11 - Erin (Sangfroid101): Something involving the Teleri- anything. It can be a teleri reference by some LOTR characters, or a drabble at sea, wherever, whenever. I'm not picky. I just like the teleri. :-)

March 14 - Elena Tiriel: I'd like a drabble about one or more male character(s) being heroic (however you wish to define that term -- it's not limited to deeds in battle...). My favorite races are Elves (not Kinslayers) and Rohirrim... but Faramir will do in a pinch. Or even Gimli. (Especially if he's with Legolas...) And I *love* it when someone picks out an obscure corner of canon to write about... but that's not a requirement, just icing on the (many-candled) birthday cake...

March 20 - Vistula the Dunedain: My birthday (the BIG 40) is March 20th and I would LOVE drabbles that have YOUR favorite character somehow interacting with MY favorite character. For those few of you who haven't already guessed who THAT may be, the answer is, of course, Sam.

Anytime, any place, any situation is great! (And I don't mind slash either, if you are so inclined.)

March 23 - Tárion Anaróre: I would reeeeeeeeeeeally love something with the sons of Feanor. Especially the younger ones, if you're up to it! I'd also take anything with Elladan & Elrohir if you don't want to do kinslayers (I love them to death). (Just no slash please!)

March 29 - Meril (Allie): I'm incredibly indecisive. I want (a) a happy moment between Feanor and Nerdanel, or (b) anything Houses of Healing, or (c) Galadriel and Celeborn anywhere. If you incorporate all of those (definitely not required!), I'll drop dead from shock.

March 31 - Forodwaith: I'd love drabbles about Arwen (a criminally underwritten character IMO), especially if they focus on a part of her life other than her relationship with Aragorn. If you're an Arwen-hater, write me a drabble about Sam and his garden and I'll be just as happy.

Re: March 2005 Babes - Shot 2

Well, I'm late, because today is actually my birthday (March 3), but since that's my own fault... I'd still appreciate drabbles about any of the Steward's family. Time, place, topic up to the author's discretion! Cel

Happy Birthday, Cel!

Here's with the best wishes for the happiest of birthdays and a great year. Cheers, Starlight *** In his own fashion The book remained unread on his lap- more interesting things occupied him now. His sons were playing, free, exuberant. It made an impression, like nothing had in a long time. He caught himself smiling, taking in every detail of the scene. Boromir, the dragon, pressed an advantage, but knight Faramir was agile, resourceful. Soon they’d engaged in a fierce battle of tickles, until Faramir’s sword found its way to the Steward’s feet. For the longest of seconds their gazes froze. Denethor’s face relaxed into a half-grin as he lifted the sword up. ‘So, whose weapon was black like this one?’

Re: Happy Birthday, Cel!

What fun to see a relaxed and happy Denethor with his young sons! Thanks, Starlight! Cel

Well done, Starlight; and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Celandine! (sorry, my drabble muse is out to lunch) RAKSHA

Re: March 2005 Babes - Early for Forodwaith

Happy VERY EARLY Birthday Forodwaith! Since writing drabbles has been like pulling teeth recently I decided to strike while the muse was hot. LOL! You wanted Arwen in a "non-Aragorn" related situation or Sam and his garden...how about all three? Cheers and happy Birthday Month!! Vistula ~~~~ The Face of Love It was an unfamiliar sound that drew Arwen from the secluded rose bower, her book of poetry forgotten. She listened, discerning the whispered words of a one-sided conversation, and frowned. “Sleep they says…” A grumble. “How’m I ‘spose to sleep with Mister Frodo still so sick…?” She saw him there, gouging frantically at a bare patch of earth, his eyes angry. “How!” Kneeling before him in silence, she smiled, capturing his eyes along with the nervous hands. “Please don’t.” “Oh!” Glancing up into the face of love, for a moment Sam was able to forget the reasons for his ire.

Re: March 2005 Babes - Happy Early Birthday Agape

Happy early Birthday Agape! The muses are stirring, and again, I've decided to strike while the iron was hot. You wanted a drabble with Boromir so here you go. Hope you have a wonderful birthday month! Cheers, Vistula ~~~~ Guidance “Sorry Boromir.” The little one says that a lot – always apologizing for his awkwardness, his inexperience, the fallibility of youth. Not yet an adult – even among his own kind – he lacks the nobility of the ring-bearer, the stability of the gardener, even the sensibility of his cousin. He’s a clumsy puppy, eager to please and broken hearted in disappointment. Seeking approval, he finds impatience or misunderstanding. He blunders on when a gentle explanation would stay his recklessness. He’s a boy playing at a man’s quest but children learn best by example. “Here Pippin, let me show you how it’s done…”

I don't know if this qualifies as "Happy" Birthday, but "Birthday!", anyway. It's a double, and it's movie-verse. I just could never see Faramir handing off this particular task. Broken He was aware of nothing but the Horn in Faramir’s hands. Though his son still stood a good distance away, Denethor could see every detail of it as clearly as if he held it in front of his own eyes. He saw the Horn had been split from mouthpiece to end, the cut almost smooth, but jagged enough to prove that it had not been cleaved easily; the trace of dirt on the metal scrolling, the shallow scrapes along its length, and he saw that the leather shoulder strap was darker than normal, as if it were wet. Denethor wondered dimly if the strap was wet with water or blood, and with that horrific thought, his mind and vision both went black. “Father!” Faramir’s broken, anguished voice dragged Denethor back to harsh reality, and he found himself kneeling on the cold marble floor, staring blankly at his son. “Father ---” Denethor pulled Faramir to him in a fierce, desperate embrace, clinging to the boy as if he had nothing else to hold him to this world. “My son,” he wept, father and child shaking with their shared grief, “oh, my son.” And neither knew nor cared which son he meant.

You wanted Arwen in a "non-Aragorn" related situation or Sam and his garden...how about all three? What a great job combining all three elements! And I'm overly fond of "Guidance" as well, because I love Boromir, and I love Pippin. Very nice, Vistula! (sorry for multiple edits -- my brain thinks it's time for bed)

Broken How wonderfully sad Edoraslass. Very well done. I loved the last line And neither knew nor cared which son he meant. A very tender moment. Cheers! Vistula

Thanks Edoraslass! I really love the image of Boromir as hobbit protector where Merry and particularly Pippin are concerned and am glad you liked Guidance. Cheers! Vistula

Re: March 2005 Babes - Erin

Happy Early Birthday Erin!! The muse is on a roll...at last. You wanted a mention of the Teleri, a daunting prospect for this writer, but with the help of HASA Resources I ventured forth. I hope you enjoy my attempt. Happy Birthday month!! Cheers, Vistula ~~~~ Child’s Eye View “Story time Frodo.” Elanor settled her brother into the child-sized chair by the hearth. The lad clapped his chubby hands with glee. “Ooooo!” Clearing her throat dramatically, Elanor began. “Once there were a great big Elf… a Talleri named Olwë.” Her father suppressed a laugh, turning it into a cough. “And Olwë lived in a beautiful smial made all of pretty pearls. Just like the ones in mam’s necklace.” “Pretty!” Frodo enthused, legs kicking. “And there were swans…” Pausing to listen to the tale unfold in Elanor’s own unique style, Sam thought how much another Frodo would have enjoyed it. ~~~~ …Olwë led the Teleri to Alqualondë where he was their ruler and lived in a mansion of pearl at the Haven of the Swans. ~ The Silmarillion, Index (from HASA Resources)

really love the image of Boromir as hobbit protector where Merry and particularly Pippin are concerned and am glad you liked Guidance. Yeah, I'm a sucker for men who have a protective streak.

Happy Birthday, Tárion Anaróre!

This one could apply to either Amrod and Amras or Elladan and Elrohir, so I'll leave it to you to decide which one you like better. Happy Birthday! ~ Vote of Confidence He sat slumped in the chair, legs stretched out. It was not a posture fitting him or his title, but it perfectly fitted his mood. There was a rustle of shrubbery under the window. He stood and walked over, leaning out as far as he could. “Who’s there?” “Me,” answered his twin. “Has she let you out yet?” “No. She said that my conduct was a disgrace to my family.” His twin snorted. “I told her that Náron did it, but she didn’t believe me.” He sighed. “Well, I’m glad that you believe me, anyway.” The younger boy smiled. “Always.” ~ -Ithiliel

Wow - you're quick off the mark, Vistula! And what a clever way to combine all my requests. I love the image of Sam angrily digging in the dirt. Thanks so much.

Re: Happy Birthday, Tárion Anaróre!

Thanks, Ithiliel! That was cute! I'm not entirely sure which set of twins my mind thinks it's about, but no matter! I enjoyed it anyway! The thought of a princely pout makes me laugh. What a nice way to start the weekend! -Tárion

Thank you Forodwaith! I'm glad you liked it. Vistula

Happy early birthday, Forodwaith

Optics II The image trembles on a wavered note, and both fade. Arwen draws a deep breath, as in memory, Celeborn's silver voice says: "Again." Rich with the life of ages, that voice, repeating old lessons to her: "More than mirror, the singer is soothsayer—she may sing only that one, as he appears to her." And so Arwen seeks her melody anew, in imperfect memory's depths— The generosity of flame: White-silver Self-consumptive fire In loving leaves Her light for all. This time, the image holds. Through tears, Arwen smiles. Tribute to light not past, but passed, she sings her mother's song.

Oh, I like this very much - me with a well-known soft spot for a human Denethor - thank you, EdorasLass! Celandine

Oh, I like this very much - me with a well-known soft spot for a human Denethor Writing a non-A/U human Denethor is quite the challenge for me, but this idea had been lurking for some time, and you just gave it the little push it needed. Thanks, and I'm glad you liked it!

Re: Happy early birthday, Forodwaith

Oh, Dwim, this is simply gorgeous! Thank you.

Request

Firstly, sorry for such short notice! My birthday is on the 7th of March. I only joined HASA a few days ago, and was so thrilled to find that I could request a birthday drabble. And I can’t even seem to make up my mind…Let’s see…Could I have a drabble about either a). Celeborn and Galadriel being reunited in Aman, or b). Finwë and either one of his wives (or both, even…) or c). Melian and Elwë. Please? Pretty please? Hugs, -Narwen

I'd like a drabble about one or more male character(s) being heroic (however you wish to define that term -- it's not limited to deeds in battle...). One hunky Eorling prince coming up, doing the heroic thing in the not-so-expected sense (I hope!)... To Shield a Shield-maiden ***** Step. Turn. Block. Thrust. Again. These things I taught her, this dance of death I hoped she would never need use. But if fate demanded it, I would not withhold her, my cousin. Yet I see the look in Raedbora Grima’s eyes. He would have her, replace the one warrior’s death with a thousand little ones. If I strike now, will the Wormtongue’s counsel have poisoned my father’s heart against me? Now is the time to trust Eowyn’s strength. Rohan needs me. Courage lies often in holding back, not always in striking, or so the ancient bards say. ***** Note: Raedbora is Old English for “advisor”. Note: The “little death” refers to orgasm; this idea of the warrior’s one death versus multiple “little deaths” was inspired by Fionnabhair Nic Aillil’s story “Freedom From Fear”, about Eowyn’s childhood in Rohan.

Although she did not ask for a birthday drabble, here is one, nevertheless. Dear Lady Masterblott, all the best wishes for your birthday! Yours Juno
~~~*~~~
Mallorn Day – A Holiday for Hobbits “We don’t need a holiday to remember that day,” Sam told Merry and Pippin. He remembered that day too well… “We are Hobbits,” Pippin agreed. “We don’t need the fancy holidays of the Big Folk.” It was six months since the ship had sailed. Six months of quiet living in the Shire. Six months of watching Elanor grow from baby to toddler. Sam looked at the mallorn in the party field. Much as his golden-haired daughter the mallorn had grown and was ready to flower now. “How about a party?” Sam asked. “Sure,” Pippin answered and smiled. “We are Hobbits!”

To Shield a Shield-maiden Oh, my Marta, this is wonderful! I had never really thought of how difficult the situation with Gríma's evil must have been for Théodred, how desperately he must have wanted to protect Éowyn (as well as his own position in his father's mind), but how certainly he knew how much Rohan depended upon him to survive. What a truly honorable man! And thank you for the footnotes, they help a lot! That whole chapter of UT about the Battles of the Fords of Isen just wrings my heart for how vulnerable Rohan was despite the ferocity of its Riders, how devastating Théodred's death was, and how the courage of those who stepped up to fill his shoes turned around the impossible odds... Thank you for exploiting a particularly poignant part of Tolkien's world! - Barbara P.S. Forgot to mention how perfect the ending was: "... or so the ancient bards say." How quintessentially Rohirric!

This is for Narwen! Happy 16th Birthday! Yours Juno ~~~*~~~ A Sunshiny Maiden How would it be, their reunion, he mused. Would she be fierce, the way he first knew her? Or would she be sombre as he last saw her? He hoped that during the century of their separation the blessing of Aman soothed her pain. He hoped that his own sunshiny maiden would welcome him on those white shores. Thus he spent the weeks of the voyage: hoping. The ship puts to shore, his hope is put to the test. “Meleth-nîn, finally!” A shout of joy, a rush of air – golden curls flow over his arms and hot lips search for his.

Juno, Thank you so much! That was wonderful! I loved it. A shout of joy, a rush of air – golden curls flow over his arms and hot lips search for his. I especially love that last line.... Thanks again! Hugs, Narwen

That was delightful, Starlight - I loved Boromir the dragon!!! And I would have frozen myself *shivers* Agape

Vistula - absolutely delightful idea with Sam venting his frustration and concern on the patch of earth. Thank you!

Well, Vistula - is there any chance that you can put up kleenex warnings before sharing something this powerful??? Something this poignant and beautiful. I can't thank you enough for the dear puppy and his friend. Agape

One for Sangfroid

Sea Change The jewelled sands of Eldamar were rich and strange; Fallinel was not used to sifting gems through her fingers instead of shells. But the water was the same that touched the shores of Middle-Earth, rolling and breathing in its restless sleep, the same winds tangled her hair, and the tall white towers of Avallone would make a fine sea mark. So she sailed her white-winged ship far to the north along the coast of Araman until slick salt ice choked the waves, and south into waters glittering with their own light, until her eyes shone brighter than that reflected sheen.

Optics II Dwim, this is beyond amazing! I can't say anything else...I'm stunned. Vistula

Thank you so much Agape. I am so glad you enjoyed it. I love Boromir the protector and nurturer...especially when it is toward Pippin. I really do think both characters get a bit of a raw deal early on. It is sad that Boromir only gets redeemed in death. At least, fortunately, little Pippin does so and survives. Thank you, too for your kind comments about my other drabbles. You are such a dear! Cheers! Vistula

Re: March 2005 Babes - For Meril

Here's a drabble-and-a-half. I'm quite proud of myself for practicing with dialog; and of course, the gastronomic details are there, as always. A Good Prognosis “What d’ye mean, I’m to have only soup?” Merry’s voice grew louder, and more shrill, with each passing moment. The young server was courteous, but growing increasingly distressed, and she welcomed the White Lady’s intervention with obvious relief. “ ‘Light diet’, indeed. Can you imagine such a thing? How am I supposed to get better, if I don’t eat?” Eowyn, who up until that moment had had no interest in eating whatsoever, lifted the linen napkin covering the tray. There was not only soup, tantalizingly scented of lemon and dill, but also flaky rolls dripping with honey butter and fruit-topped custard. Quite surprisingly, her stomach growled. Merry let out a roar of laughter. “See! You’re ready to eat too! But we must have more than just soup - that wouldn’t keep a flea alive. The idea!” Ioreth, listening behind the door, hurried to spread the word that these patients were, clearly, recovering. ***** Have a wonderful birthday! Ann

Oh Vistula, this is excellant! You worked in the Teleri *and* had hobbit children! This is so adorable. I love Elanor's take on the story. Especially the 'smile made all of pretty pearls.' And the ending was great. Sam, I think, was right. I'm saving all of my drabbles. These are just so great! Ever, Erin

Re: One for Sangfroid

Thanks Forodwaith! This is great. You really have a way with descriptions. "But the water was the same that touched the shores of Middle-Earth..." I love how you capture Falline's feelings in that one simple line, just that seemiing of being lost in memories. To all of you who have written me a drabble- do you mind if I post these on my LJ/Xanga? They're just too good not to share.

Happy Early Birthday, Meril!

March 29 - Meril (Allie): I'm incredibly indecisive. I want (a) a happy moment between Feanor and Nerdanel, or (b) anything Houses of Healing, or (c) Galadriel and Celeborn anywhere. If you incorporate all of those (definitely not required!), I'll drop dead from shock. Happy early birthday, Allie! I chose the Houses of Healing option. Of course, this double drabble includes a cat - what did you expect from me, anyway? The Healing Touch “Get out of here, filthy creature!” Brannir, surgeon in the Houses of Healing, raised his foot to kick the cat away, but the small feline was faster. It run through the beds and vanished in the general direction of the storeroom. Fuming, the surgeon returned to his duties. Sure, that animal was good for vermin control, but Brannir did not want it among the wounded – Eru knew what diseases it carried. Sometime later, Brannir returned to check on his most critical patient: a boy barely of age, afflicted by the Black Shadow. If his abdominal wound did not claim him, the Nazgûl’s taint would. To Brannir’s dismay, the boy lay dead - with that accursed cat resting on his motionless chest. Before Brannir could utter a word, the boy’s mother rose from her dead son’s side and approached him. “Thank you,” she whispered. Her wet, bloodshot eyes fixed on his face. “Thank you, my lord, for letting the cat comfort my son’s passing. Eru knows how, its purring seemed to ease his torment.” Brannir stood dumbfounded. He stared at the dead boy’s calm face and then at the cat, who stared back with notable defiance. In the years that followed, Brannir never chased any cat away again. ****** OK, it's a bit over 200 words, but be easy on me; it's my first drabble ever. ;) Peace and Catnip, Werecat

Re: Happy Early Birthday, Meril!

If this is your first drabble then you have an inspired Muse. The scene between Brannir and the mother is well done. This is so typical of a cat: who stared back with notable defiance. May I offer your Muse catnap as a thank offering? RiverOtter

Hi Barbara, *blush* This is late! I meant to review a while ago, but completely forgot. Oh, my Marta, this is wonderful! I had never really thought of how difficult the situation with Gríma's evil must have been for Théodred, how desperately he must have wanted to protect Éowyn (as well as his own position in his father's mind), but how certainly he knew how much Rohan depended upon him to survive. What a truly honorable man! Yes, Theodred has always been one of my favourites? (Why do I love the ones that Tolkien only gives us tantalizing hints about?) And his feelings toward the whole Eowyn-Grima situation aren't explored nearly enough. And thank you for the footnotes, they help a lot! You're welcome. You know a drabble is written by a fellow research geek when 100 words requires two footnotes... That whole chapter of UT about the Battles of the Fords of Isen just wrings my heart for how vulnerable Rohan was despite the ferocity of its Riders, how devastating Théodred's death was, and how the courage of those who stepped up to fill his shoes turned around the impossible odds... I haven't read it in too long - but I do remember it brought tears to my eyes, more than once. P.S. Forgot to mention how perfect the ending was: "... or so the ancient bards say." How quintessentially Rohirric! I thought so! I think a culture that would have a shieldmaiden would also probably have the opposite - a willingness to let men be honourable by more than the traditionally masculine way (with a sword in his hand). Marta PS- I changed "dance of defence" to "dance of death". Gwynnyd pointed out to me that this was a common term for sword-dances like what I have Eowyn doing.

Thank you, Ann and Werecat!

I am radiating pure joy right now! A considerably dull day at work has been immeasurably brightened by not one, but two drabbles. A Good Prognosis from Ann: I can't even express how beautiful that was (or how hungry I am after reading it: I want that soup and rolls and custard). Merry is so awesomely hobbitish. I love it! Thank you! The Healing Touch from Werecat: What a wonderful first-ever droubble (is that a valid drabble-related term, or did I just make it up?)! I agree with RiverOtter: your muse must have been inspired. And that defiant kitty is a classic Werecat touch. So, so beautiful. Thank you! Thank you both for brightening my day! May I repost them in my LJ, please? Allie

Re: Thank you, Ann and Werecat!

Hi all. RiverOtter: my Muse(mews) thanks you for the catnip and wants to know if you have any more treats to go with it. Thank you for your kind words. Meril: I'm glad you liked it! How could I leave the kitties out, now that I have a new cat in my life? And of course you can post them at your LJ! I would be honored. Peace and catnip, Werecat

I'm glad you liked it, Erin! And you certainly have my permission to repost.

Happy belated birthday, Khazar...

The scenario below in conjunction with the happy wishes is causing me cognitive dissonance. Seriously. The bad guys at work get a mature rating for torture. Unspeakable Tegrib sighed. A year to set this trap, innumerable orcs lost, and the trolls! Trolls were inelegant, but as lures, they guaranteed sufficient toys for the orcs to break while Tegrib worked his patient craft, that certain questions be answered ere sentence fell. But skill had limits; Tegrib glared at Isildur's bleeding Heir. Impressive—after all he'd endured, who'd've thought he'd have wit or will to bite his own tongue off? Crouching, he said then: "Well done. You've bought your son some time. But only a little. Guard!" "Sir?" the orc replied, eagerly. Tegrib waved a hand. "He's all yours..."
"And it happened that when Arathorn and Gilraen had been married only one year, Arador was taken by hill-trolls in the Coldfells..." "[T]he Wise then knew that the Enemy was seeking to discover the Heir of Isildur, if any remained upon earth." —"The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen", Appendix A, 420

I see I was among the victims of the e-mail non-server. Forodwaith: Oh, Dwim, this is simply gorgeous! Thank you You're welcome! Great prompt--I'm usually guilty of writing Arwen only wih Aragorn, so this was a challenge. Vistula: Dwim, this is beyond amazing! I can't say anything else...I'm stunned. Thank you! Glad you liked it.

Happy Birthday, Elena Tiriel!

Again, since I can't stop talking, it's more a drabble-and-a-half. Eomer's about 14 here, which makes this pretty darn heroic in my view. Hope your day's great! Guest of Honour On the other side of the door, Éomer could hear chattering, laughter, and a voice raised in occasaional irritation. He did not want to go in there. There were a hundred -- nay, a thousand-- other things he wanted to do. But a man could not always do what he wanted. Éomer squared his shoulders, and bravely opened the door. “Éomer !” Éowyn squealed. “You came!” He looked at the dolls that encircled the low table, then at his delighted sister, sighing internally as he gave her a warm smile. “My lady sister,” he said, bowing low, causing Eowyn’s grin to broaden. “Where shall I sit?” “Here.” Éowyn led him to a chair that was as battered as the dolls. “You are the guest of honour -- now you ladies behave,” she frowned, pointing a finger at her other guests. Éomer sat gingerly in the tiny chair, and accepted his cup of stone-cold tea.

Happy Belated, Khazar Khum!

Wow. This one just kinda hit me out of nowhere. Happy (Late) Birthday! And look, Ma, no Rohan! A Challenge At Last He had no idea how much time had passed since he’d seen another living being. Decades, centuries, days, hours -- he could no longer make the distinction. The orcs and goblins were not fools, and had long ago avoided any stair or tunnel that led to his den. He could hear them, many levels above, and Morgoth knew he could smell them. Hunting them was starting to lose its appeal -- he always won. It was boring. A group of dwarves had come back -- again, he did not know how long ago -- but the goblins and orcs had dispatched them easily enough. But wait - what was that? Could it be ---- Yes. There could be no mistake. Olórin. With a smile of flame which no-one saw, he began the long ascent to the Bridge.

Happy Birthday, Forodwaith!

A/N - I should be asleep. But those muses don't go away, do they? Ok, this is a mild cheat -- you said "about Arwen", and this is about Arwen. I am also intimidated by her, and this is a bit of an explanation. Sorta. Hope your day's great! Small Steps “I know I should,” Eowyn sighed, “but she’s -- “ “She’s what?” Faramir asked with a hint of a grin. “She’s an elf, “ Eowyn finished, a bit defensively, and if Faramir had not thought it impossible, he would have sworn his betrothed was intimidated. “Well spotted,” he teased, taking her hand in his. “She is indeed. Does that mean she could not use a friend?” “But -- what would I say to her?” Eowyn asked. “Just because we’re women doesn’t mean we have anything in common, Faramir!” “That is true,” he admitted, “but you will never know unless you talk to her.” Eowyn could not argue with that. “All right,” she sighed, suddenly determined. “I will talk to Arwen. But if it goes badly, you will be the one apologizing to Aragorn.”

Happy Birthday, Agape4Gondor!

I'm going to bed right after this, I swear it. I'm not too cool at finding names, so I hope this one's gender-appropriate. Happy Birthday! Tryst “Gaerlín!” She pulled away from Boromir, alarm written all over her face. “My uncle!” she whispered. “Oh, I am done for now!” “Do not fear,” Boromir whispered back with a confident grin, “I know these halls like the back of my own hand.” He leaned down for one final quick kiss which was not quite as quick as he had intended. “Gaerlín!” The voice was definitely closer. “Go, go,” Gaerlín urged breathlessly. “You are too young for dueling old men!” “Duelling’s been outlawed,” Boromir pointed out, “but I take your meaning.” He released her, asking, “Will I see you tomorrow?” “The rose gardens, after mid-day meal,” Gaerlín replied, blushing. “He will be meeting with your father. Now go!” Boromir flashed a brilliant smile, dropped a kiss on the back of her hand, and darted out the door on the other side of the library as the door to the main corridor creaked open.

Re: Happy Belated, Khazar Khum!

EdorasLass, loved the drabble about Morgoth, also Eomer's heroic attendance of Eowyn's tea party. And Dwim, your drabble with the orcs and poor Arador was shudder-provokingly good. Khazar Khum, here's a triple-drabble for you. I thought of doing one about the Witch-King, but you've pretty much cornered the market on ol' Witchie-poo. Raksha The Demon SERPENT'S EASE It was easy for a snake to snare a King. Theoden was lonely, and his son too busied with protecting the Mark to comfort his ailing father. The King’s headstrong nephew rode out constantly, forsaking the stale air of Meduseld. Like most unlearned Rohirrim, the King was easy prey to the power of words. The King was amused by his scribe’s clever tales. The scribe then offered to help his Lord read and write letters to Gondor. As easily as a tired warhorse bows its proud head to the rider’s will, the Lord of the Mark was tamed by Gríma‘s soft speech. The cloddish horsemen knew not that the Worm they scorned was in truth a subtle snake, not until it was too late. Gríma the scribe rose to be Theoden’s most trusted counselor and sit by his very throne. Fortune’s stroke and his own left the King and the darkened Hall and its Lady alone, within the serpent’s coils. Another week, a month, and the weakling King would join his dead son, and then none could gainsay Grima, nor keep him from the prize he coveted above all else, the fair daughter of the House of Eorl. It had been so easy, after all! Then he was flung from the Hall where he had ruled in fact if not name, robbed of his ease and chased from Edoras like a stinking rat, in front of the Lady he had craved. They would all pay for his humiliation, his exile. If he must go forth to his true master and leave his pride in the Golden Hall, he would see it burned to ashes, and the blood of Eorlingas run red from Edoras to Helm’s Deep! Perhaps a serpent cannot truly walk among men. But he can still slay them.

Thanks! *Zooms off to her LJ*

You're welcome Erin. I'm glad you liked it. I love to write drabbles about the interactions between Sam and Elanor. I think there would be a very special bond between him and particularly his first child...considering she'd have been a great balm to his heart after Frodo left. Yes, you're welcome to repost the drabble wherever you'd like Cheers, Vistula

Re: March 2005 Babes - For Meril

OMG! I loved this!! How Hobbity sounding...I really felt for Merry's cry of "Whadaya mean I only get soup..." Very fun and funny Ann! Vistula

Re: Happy belated birthday, Khazar...

Wow, Dwim...that was horribly and wonderfully chilling. Vistula who is still stunned

This is 53

New thread!

Re: This is 53

Your wish is my command.

Re: Happy Birthday, Forodwaith!

Thank you, EdorasLass! I must have missed this during the email outage - what a nice surprise to find it now. And a perceptive drabble, too; how intimidating a first encounter with an elf must have been for most mortals.

Re: Happy Birthday, Agape4Gondor!

How did I miss this! How did I miss this! It was beautiful - gorgeous - and such fun!!! Thank you - delighted I am... and I want a kiss too.... Agape

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum