Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: February 2005 Birthdays - 2

February 2005 Birthdays - 2

Continue posting your February b-day drabbles here!

February 1st: Nessime - The month is also special in my Rohirric story's arc, particularly because of events that occur in Tolkien's canon. So my request is for something with either Théodred or Boromir - or both (but NOT slash, if you please). If Éomer somehow works his way into it, I won't object.

February 2nd: Loquacious - I will like a story about the Elessar, the stone, not the king, though the king may be included too.

February 5th: TZA - I'd either like a gap-filler about Eowyn that focuses on a different area than fanfics generally do and isn't dark and/or depressing or something involving Elfhelm.

February 8th: Elcalion - I'd like something Elven - especially 1st or 2nd age if anyone wants to write one.

February 13th: Maedhros - I will welcome whatever involving Maedhros or Celebrimbor. Did I mention I like angst? ;)

February 13th: Ithiliel Silverquill - I especially love Erestor and Glorfindel (not slash) and the sons of Fëanor. Come to think of it, anything with Elves is wonderful.

February 15th: Kenaz - I'd love something about Glorfindel and Ecthelion. Slash is acceptible but not required. All I ask is that it happens well before the fall of Gondolin. I don't want angst or balrogs on my birthday

February 17th: Mysterious jedi - If anyone feels like writing a Faramir and Aragorn friendship (definitely not slash) drabble, that would be really cool.

February18th: Taunuswolf - If it´s not too much work and someone might feel up to it, I would very much appreciate something/anything Faramir-ish and none-moody/not sad. If it also happen to sport Boromir or Aragorn, even better ;)

February 19th: Werecat: If anyone feels like writing a drabble for me, I'd like something that involves the animals of Middle Earth. (And what a surprise that was.)

Not necessarily cats, I'll take anything from squirrels to fell beasts. As long as it does not involve any animal cruelty, that is. Fell beasts need a hug too.

February Birthdays 2: For Werecat, early

Happy (very early) birthday, Werecat! Here's a brief, cooling respite from all the sweaty testosterone of the other thread Here sits, in secret, blest theology Ithilien, T.A. 2099 “Come, lad.” Jochan startled Faramir out of his doze. “I’ve something to show ye.” Curious, Faramir followed the grizzled ranger down to where the stream rippled and sang in its rocky bed. Jochan waded knee-deep, then bent over the water, cupping his hands slightly under the surface. Eyes closed, he swayed lightly, murmuring under his breath. The young man watched, mystified, until a fish swam right into Jochan’s waiting hands. Faramir held his breath as Jochan lifted it gently out of the water, cradling it in his large, gnarled palms. It was a brown trout, good sized, the dove color of its back speckling to silver and black along its underside. The fish’s pale eye seemed to fix accusingly on Faramir. “You can catch them like this, if needs be.” Jochan whispered. “You must ask permission of the waters, and of the fishes, too. You are asking them to give up their lives wi’out an honorable fight. Use them as though you love them, and only ask in direst need. D’ye understand, lad?” He gazed searchingly into Faramir’s eyes. “Good. You’ll do, I think.” Faramir could only nod, speechless, as Jochan gently lowered his hands back into the water. With a swish of sunlit fins and tail, the trout was gone. Later, Faramir wondered if it had been a dream. Ithilien T.A. 3017 The patrol had been lucky to scramble away with their lives. Now, after fourteen hours of hard travel, their greatest need was for food and rest. Once the watch was set and the wounded cared for, their captain gazed for a long time at the narrow stream. Knee-deep in the chilly water, he wondered, How? then remembered; and with a whispered prayer of thanks, watched as the first fish swam willingly into his hands. ~~~~~ The title is taken from Izaak Walton’s The Compleat Angler, as is the line Use them as though you love them. Many thanks to Branwyn for finding that perfect phrase! “Tickling” trout: Often in small streams trout will hide under undercut banks. The poacher feels the trout, gently stroking it, seizing it by the gills and flipping it on the bank. Shakespeare mentioned the custom in Twelfth Night when he wrote: "Here comes the trout that must be caught with tickling."

Happy Birthday, Kenaz!

Yes, another early birthday card, if only to prove to everyone that I am not like my mother's side of the family, and I can send birthday cards before a few months have passed! Happy Birthday, Kenaz! ~ Too Close To The Fountain Ecthelion’s dark hair was plastered to his forehead. Silver eyes glared out from beneath lowered eyebrows, gleaming with malice and ill will. His cloak hung heavy around his shoulders, and water from the King’s Fountain ran down his face in tiny rivulets. “This is not funny, Glorfindel.” But Glorfindel’s practice sword was lying on the ground where he had dropped it, and the golden Elf was doubled over. “Lord of the Fountain… indeed!” Try as he might, Ecthelion could hardly resist his friend’s mirth, and the sparring match ended as it usually did, with both friends overcome by helpless laughter. ~ -Ithiliel

Happy Birthday, Werecat!

The Nuzgûl have been vicious... and I've never had so much fun! Happy Birthday, Werecat! ~ Fell Beast They always knew how to pick the right ones. Yes, they all had to be black, but that was not all. They had to have spirit—a spirit that could be bent to the will of the Nazgûl. Few could understand how horses foaled on the honest plains of Rohan could be so transformed. Khamûl’s steed flew beneath him like an ebony firebrand, hooves pounding the cold ground with every step. Reddened eyes gazed with almost human hatred at the fleeing form of Asfaloth, gleaming pallid and white against the darkness. “Do not come between the Nazgûl and his prey.” ~ Hope that doesn't count as animal cruelty... more like cruelty from an animal, right? -Ithiliel

Re: Happy Birthday, Maedhros!

Thank you, Avon! And thanks for the information... I knew that there was something about fifteen words for the title, but I wasn't sure whether or not it counted as a part of the hundred words. I haven't been counting it. Thank you so much! I think I will be writing more drabbles... these things are extremely addictive! -Ithiliel

Happy Birthday, Loquacious!

Yours was a bit more difficult, but I looked up information about the Elessar in Resources and finally came up with something. I hope you enjoy it! Happy Birthday, Loquacious! ~ With Wings As Eagles Two wings of gleaming silver, spread as if in a salute or an embrace. An emerald gleamed upon the eagle’s breast, as clear and green as a young shoot, bathed in the light of the rising sun. “Your youth shall be renewed, and you shall rise with wings as eagles…” Elessar Telcontar stood upon the pinnacle of Minas Tirith, arms spread as if in a salute or an embrace. A sapling of the White Tree was found and replanted, and its leaves shone in the light of the rising sun. Envinyatar, the Renewer, had come to the Throne of Gondor. ~ -Ithiliel

Re: Fell Beast

I like that! It's a really interesting idea. Avon

Re: Happy Birthday, Kenaz!

Whee! I love it! I can completely visualize poor Echthelion gritting soaking wet, gritting his teeth, and using every ounce of restraint he posesses not to throttle Glorfindel! Ah, the Balrog Slayer. My favorite Middle Earth smartass Thanks for the fun!! Kenaz

Happy Birthday, TZA!

I'm not exactly sure what the usual Éowyn fanfiction covers, since I don't read much of it, but I don't ever remember seeing this topic discussed. Hope you like it! And have a very happy birthday! ~ Training “But, my Lady, it isn’t right!” The one-time Shieldmaiden of Rohan turned at these words, a dangerous glint in her steel-gray eyes. “And why not?” The trainer groped for words. “Because—because—“ “Because I’m a Lady?” finished Éowyn, her voice cold. “That will be all, Magorinc.” Shamefaced, the man walked away, not daring to mutter under his breath. It was useless to defy Lord Faramir’s wife, it really was. Éowyn gave a smile of triumph and walked back over to where she had been before the interruption. “Now, Elboron, this is how and where you must grip the sword…” ~ -Ithiliel

Re: February 2005 Birthdays - Part 2

Nessime asked for Theodred and/or Boromir, possibly with Eomer; here they are. A look at how "like to the swift sons of Eorl" Eomer found Boromir at first meeting. Happy belated birthday, Nessime! First Impression “Théodred!” The joy-filled shout rang through Edoras. Éomer pelted down the road, heedless of those dodging out of his way. Seeing his beloved cousin was the height of any visit to Edoras; he spared no attention for incidentals. “Théodred! I’ve been waiting forever! Where did you go? Did you kill any orcs?” Théodred exchanged a glance with his companion, and belatedly Éomer realized that his cousin had not been alone. Embarrassed at his lapse in manners, he broke off his stream of questions and nodded courteously to the stranger. “Hello. Are you in my cousin’s éored?” Why did they laugh?

Re: Here sits, in secret, blest theology

Ann-- I this drabble so much. And I'll wager it's the first trout-fishing and nature conservation drabble ever! The old ranger teaches young Faramir the sacred pact between man and nature. "...only ask in direst need." The image of the trout is lovely. It was a brown trout, good sized, the dove color of its back speckling to silver and black along its underside. Your notes about trout-tickling are very interesting. I had heard of the practice but had assumed that it was a rural legend. Beautiful, evocative drabble--I can almost see the sunlight reflected on the water. Branwyn

For Maedhros: early and unexpectedly

Erm. OK. I was musing on drabbles last night/early this morning (very early...), and I was amusing myself by seeing just how many requests I could combine in a way that made sense. Then I went to sleep. When I woke up, I started hearing voices. And it wasn't my usual voices (OK: one of them is one of my steadfast voices). It was Celebrimbor. (And for the surprise, I won't tell who else.) And I thought, Hey! There was someone who requested Celebrimbor in the b-day drabbles forum! Soooo....... Happy (early) Birthday, Maedhros! I've started a fic, featuring Celebrimbor, and I hope that you enjoy it as the nuzgul keeps plaguing me (seriously: I wrote two short chapters in two hours this morning)! Chances are, by the time your real b-day rolls around, I'll still be writing. It's the gift that keeps on giving! Renewal. It is still very beta, so I'd like for suggestions/comments/criticisms on it as a piece to go in this thread of my forum. I'm hoping this one will be fully defanged. Celebrimbor won't shut up. Allie (voices... the voices...)

Re: Happy Birthday, Loquacious!

Thank you, Liz and Ithiliel! I appreciate the bit of research you had to go through! Liz wrote: Your prompt got me thinking: I just couldn’t work out why Arwen took such a convoluted approach to giving the Elessar to Aragorn. Why give it to Galadriel, who might not see Aragorn for years and years, when Arwen would very likely see him in Rivendell regularly? It is a very interesting issue. She could very well have given it to Aragorn in Rivendell before they set off for the Quest. And I like your spin on it, Arwen believing the prophecy word for word. Ithiliel wrote: Yours was a bit more difficult, but I looked up information about the Elessar in Resources and finally came up with something. I hope you enjoy it! Happy Birthday, Loquacious! Thank you! And I do enjoy it, the image the Elessar and the White Tree create is powerful and beautiful. ~Loqi

So many drabbles; I can't comment on them all; but am enjoying them immensely! Ithiliel; I especially liked your Envinyatar "Wings As Eagles" drabble. Elessar as Renewer with the renewed White Tree - a powerful image...The eagle referencest tap into a phrase, rather a theme I hope to use someday in a story, and a memory of a song I heard at a Catholic funeral, about mounting on eagles' wings - possibly taken from the same biblical sources? Ann, your drabble about Faramir learning to tickle trout was very impressive. I wondered at the name of the elder Ranger though; J-names are practically nonexistent among humans in Middle-earth...Anyway, excellent drabble. RAKSHA THE DEMON

Ooooohhhhh! A new thread and a wonderful month of drabbles started already (and it's only the 3rd). Cheers to all of you drabble masters! I fear, this month I am seriously out of my league where subjects are concerned. *sigh* Though, it is interesting to see what everyone loves! Thanks to everyone for sharing such rare and wonderful treats... Cheers Vistula (the awed)

Maybe his mom just liked the sound of the name because it was unusual, and prevailed upon his dad to consent. Maybe all the other kids in the village laughed at him, because he had such a wierd name, and that's when he discovered he could talk to fish... Ann

Re: Here sits, in secret, blest theology

Thanks, Branwyn! I'm quite fond of that trout myself. About the trout tickling: just last week, one of my daughter's professors described to her about he tickled trout in the High Sierras while backpacking there. She, of , course, was awestruck, and can't wait to try her hand at it herself. Ann

Re: February 2005 Birthdays -For Nessime

Happy birthday, Ness! Duty The Argonath guards Gondor's backgate. Thence to the East, death; to Southward, home; to the West... Boromir feels accusingly the stony gazes of the kings of Westernesse: Anárion... and Isildur. But the kings abandoned us. The Stewards were more faithful, kept Gondor with living men. The Rohirrim are surer guards than memory wrought in stone, Théodred more certain a help than– Aragorn glances sharply west. Boromir sees naught there, yet a shiver takes him. Premonition, whispering water-swift, leaves him cold: Seek not strength without–Rohan shan't deliver Gondor. Salvation lies inward when you're alone... Forgive me, Frodo, hobbits cannot understand...

I’m woefully behind in replying to people from the 1st February b'days thread, so I’m going to attempt to catch up in this one post. I’ve noted which message number each reply goes to (and have attempted linking to the original messages *fingers crossed that the links work*). ~*~ Starlight: ... That hope may live (Message 37331) I love the thought that Boromir and Théodred might have spoken, each about the other, to their families – at least to certain members of their families. And this: Beside him she stood, pretending strength… That she would want to be strong for him does endear her to me. Then Elfwine stirred in his mother’s arms. Their cousins’ hope lived on. Babies and hope - a modern day poet has written:
Every baby comes as evidence That God still dreams of Eden.
In Arda verse, I tend to think of this as Eru looking forward to the Second Music, when Arda would be the perfect creation it was intended to be. And I like to think Théodred and Boromir would have a part in it. ~*~ Nic (aka paranoidangel): The Fords of Isen (Message: 37352) You’ve touched on an event that breaks my heart – and adds to my loathing of Saruman – every time I read about it. In Théodred's last words I have always heard the faith that he had in Éomer, that he would indeed come to bolster the defense of the Fords, and protect the Riddermark. But I had not fully considered the possibility that Théodred would have recognized, or even suspected, that Saruman had deliberately targeted him; it simply hadn’t occurred to me. But you saw the possibility, and then you carried that through to its logical conclusion, which is very much in character for Théodred: his concern that Éomer would be targeted next. A truly chilling thought. And now you have me wondering what more Théodred might have said, had there been the opportunity. Addendum: have been thinking on this even more; I wonder if Théodred was worried that he wouldn't be there to protect his kid brother/cousin, or was he confident in Éomer's ability to take care of himself? Or perhaps a bit of both...? Either way, I love him for it. Thanks for giving me this added insight. ~*~ ErinRua: (Message: 37388) The pair of them, through Éomer’s eyes. Oh, yes. And you weave such clear, strong images in your prose: … dark son of Gondor and golden scion of Rohan. Heroes walked the living land, and he saw kinship in their long, panther strides. And the description of Éomer as a coltish awestruck youth… how apropos to both his youthful self and his culture. But to single out these examples simply doesn’t do justice to the whole. I see in this the reflection of their imprint on him as a youth, and a hint of the import their deaths bore for the warrior and the man. Thank you for illustrating so vividly how he might have seen them. ~*~ Elana: Heirs of the Oath (Message: 37393) “…I would know the measure of the man to whom I will give my oath.” Yes. Yes. Yes. This he would indeed want to know. More than an unthinking warrior, Théodred was Rohan’s future king. It’s interesting to note that in her book on Tolkien’s languages Ruth Noel gives the meaning of Théodred’s name as people’s councel. Tolkien is noted for choosing names that are in some way indicative of each person’s character, and it is unlikely that he would deviate from that convention here; ergo, I have to think of Théodred as a thoughtful, intelligent man. And the scene on the Halifirien is just as it should be – though admittedly there are a couple of personal details from my story’s arc that my imagination fills in as I read. Thank you. ~*~ Marta: (Message: 37380) I know I’ve been enjoying them all. (And *sigh* they’ve gotten my creative juices flowing. I have started a longer Rohan-centric piece.) Yay, Marta! One of the things I love about drabbles is how they tend to inspire by giving us glimpses of broader stories that want to be told. I’m delighted these have given you new inspiration (and these drabbles are mathoms that I can treasure myself and still share with you all on my birthday - I feel rather hobbity* if that's a proper adjective). I also like what you said about drabbling various moments in Éomer’s life: hearing Boromir’s horn, learning of Théodred’s death, being imprisioned - and meeting Aragorn on the Wold, drawing swords with him at Helm’s deep, Gimli saving him from the orcs before the gate – how close Éomer might have come to ending as Háma did *shudder*. All those moments that are waiting to be illustrated. (Shall we issue a new drabble challenge? Choose a character, any character, and drabble significant events in that character’s life… ) You brought back memories of all our earlier drabbling efforts when you mentioned “The Ride of the Rohirrim” and Merry likening Théoden. to Oromë. That’s a passage I love too; my heart and my eyes fill, both when I read Tolkien’s wonderfully descriptive prose, and when I see its depiction in the movie. *happy sigh* ~*~ Thank you again to everyone for helping to make my birthday special. ~Nessime PS: And now I see that there are a couple more drabbles posted in this thread for me to savor...

Re: February Birthdays 2: For Werecat, early

Here sits, in secret, blest theology Ann, this is lovely. Reading this it's easy to see that Jochan is doing far more than teaching Faramir how to catch a fish at need; he is teaching him what it means to be a good and wise steward. A blest theology indeed. And thanks for the info re: the title's source and the quoted line. I'd not have recalled that bit from Twelfth Night if you'd not mentioned it. Amazing, the things one can learn. ~Nessime

I'm so glad you like your drabble Nessime, and it gives you more to think about, given I wrote the only thing I know about Theodred! But I had not fully considered the possibility that Théodred would have recognized, or even suspected, that Saruman had deliberately targeted him The orcs were fighting over his nearly-dead body when he was clearly no threat to them. I can't help feeling that the possibility must have occurred to someone. Nic

One for Loquacious

...and, I suppose, for Elcalion, if you stretch it a bit. Also, I'd like to say that honestly, I can write a drabble without Arwen! I'm working on one for Nessime with absolutely no Evenstar allowed - she just seems to be poking her nose in everywhere lately. No spring can last Arwen turns the Elessar over in her hands, watching the soft shimmer of spring light under fresh leaves. Life undying the stone cannot bring, here in Middle-earth; but it has given Rivendell lasting bloom, unblemished fruit, and leaves fallen without rot. The hands holding it are gifted with healing, but they can do nothing more for the woman in the bed. Arwen brings the stone to her eye and looks through it: refracted in the crystal, her mother’s face is eased of all its pain and suffering. When she lowers the jewel, the sheen of tears in her sight remains.

Happy Birthday, Elcalion!

This one is a double drabble, because Thingol does not know when to stop talking. I hope you don't mind! Have a happy birthday, Elcalion! ~ Unheeded Forget him, Lúthien. Listen to me. He is only a Man, a flame that burns as brightly as the Sun and then goes out. Do not imagine that he will be what you need. He will smile at you and whisper pretty things in your ear, but in the end you will stand by his grave and understand the meaning of mortality. I want more than this for you, my little Lúthien. When you were a child, I did everything in my power to keep you from harm. If you needed a stern correction in order to learn not to play with fire, then I spoke in a way that made you listen. I could not bear it if you were hurt because I did nothing to prevent your foolish mistake. The wide teary eyes, the trembling lips—they were nothing to me, for that reason and that reason alone. You are playing with fire, Lúthien, and I could not bear it if you were burned. Forget him. Come back to what you know, to what is real, to what will endure. Do not throw away your immortality on the fleeting love of a mortal. Lúthien… can you hear me? ~ -Ithiliel

Re: Happy Birthday, Elcalion!

Hi Ithiliel Thanks very much for the drabble - Elveses are good, preciousss! And double drabbles? The more the merrier! I really like the different take on the Luthien/Beren tale - Thingol normally comes off as so jealous and possessive that it's nice to see a bit of perspective on the issue! a flame that burns as brightly as the Sun I love the fire imagery through the whole drabble - really effective at highlighting the Eldar/Edain divide - the Eldar do tend to be set on simmer where the Edain are on rapid-boil. Mmmmm - mixed metaphors, but I'm allowed! Thingol in canon is a bit long-winded isn't he ? Seems to be a bit of an Eldar trait - the Oath of Feanor could have been very easily done thus: "Hands off the Silmarils, or we kill you." Save on printing costs, too! Thanks again for the drabble! Elcalion

Re: One for Loquacious

Wow, beautiful... Thank you. *is at lost for words* ~Loqi

For TZA - February 2005 Birthdays - Part 2

February 5th: TZA - I'd either like a gap-filler about Eowyn that focuses on a different area than fanfics generally do and isn't dark and/or depressing or something involving Elfhelm.
So here it is: for TZA: 100 words about Éowyn, as seen through Théodred’s eyes. ~*~ Fighting Spirit Théodred was at a loss. Twas several months since his father had brought the orphaned younglings to Edoras; still the girl would not warm to his overtures. Not so the lad, haunting Théodred’s footsteps, eager to hone his warrior-skills under his cousin’s tutelage. He puzzled over this as he led his horse toward the stables, this winter-day’s exercise with his éored done. Yelping, two stable-boys raced past, the last stumbling as a snowball hit him squarely between the shoulders. Round the corner came the girl, eyes blazing; she let fly another snowball. Enlightened, Théodred smiled. She too hath a warrior-heart… ~*~ Note: the inspiration for the snowball-wielding Éowyn came from Dagmar’s wonderful drawing of a young Éowyn, likewise titled Fighting Spirit. ~Nessime

First Impression I love this image of Éomer as an impetuous young boy, so eager to spend time with his cousin Théodred that he wouldn't have noticed anyone or anything else. Am I right in supposing the time frame for this is sometime before Éomer's parents died? That would make him younger than eleven years of age - and very impressionable indeed. Thank you, Wolfwind (I like your moniker too) ~Nessime

Oh, Boromir... This sent cold shivers down my spine - for several reasons (not the least of which is the oblique reference to Théodred's death - I keep forgetting that it was the very same day that the Fellowship passed the Argonath). The Ring cunningly spoke to Boromir's strength – and his pride. And the premonition - if only he could have understood what it really meant. Frodo's understanding was clearer. But then Frodo had neither pride nor strength to color his perceptions - or for the Ring to use to against him. Trust you, Dwim, to delve so incisively into the psyche. Thank you. ~Nessime

Oh, Boromir... This sent cold shivers down my spine - for several reasons (not the least of which is the oblique reference to Théodred's death - I keep forgetting that it was the very same day that the Fellowship passed the Argonath). I have a bad head for dates, too. But the coincidence did work very well for my nefarious purposes to judge by your reaction. And the premonition - if only he could have understood what it really meant. Frodo's understanding was clearer. But then Frodo had neither pride nor strength to color his perceptions - or for the Ring to use to against him. He also hasn't yet despaired, as I think Boromir has. In this, Boromir is very much like his father--isolated by responsibility and history, both of which play to pride and duty and lead down the short path to desparate delusion. Trust you, Dwim, to delve so incisively into the psyche. Thank you! And thanks for the birthday request: I haven't tried to work out Boromir's motivations for quite some time, and I still struggle to blend the Appendices with FoTR and with Faramir's description of and relation to him in TTT. The drabble request was a nice opportunity to try again, within a manageably short space. Hope you had a happy birthday! Dwim

Feb. drabbles

Glad you liked it, Loqi. The Elfstone is an intriguing bit of jewellery. Nessime, I've always loved that sketch of Dagmar's too! And your drabble captured its spirit perfectly.

Glad you liked it, Nessime! Yes, I was picturing this sometime before Eomund died. I don't know exactly how old he is - I'm terrible at guessing people's ages - but I do know he's fairly young, and, as you said, very impetuous and so focused on Theodred that he's oblivious to the fact that Boromir is no Eorling. He's such a cute little boy! *huggles little Eomer* ~Wolfwind

I was bored at work today, so here's a three-for-one birthday drabble special! Happy belated birthday to Loquacious, TZA, and Elcalion! For Loquacious: (This assumes that Celebrimbor created the Elessar.) Legacy The valley pulsed with life. On every side green plants grew with reckless abandon, greedily drinking in the sunlight. Ilúvatar’s Song was clear enough here that even the Secondborn sensed it, marveling at the peace they felt without comprehending it. Nestled safely within the Bruinen’s protective embrace, Imladris lived. Her Master and his Lady stood together overlooking their home, black and silver hair mingled by the gusting wind. On his finger a ring flashed blue in the sunlight; on her breast a green brooch glowed with an inward light. Their maker had fallen, but the works of Celebrimbor’s hands endured. For TZA: Safety A stealthy sound awakened him. Eomund’s eyes snapped opened and he sat up, scanning the room. A patch of moonlight illuminated a small figure standing, frozen, at the bedside. Eomund sighed and held out his arms. “Come here, kitten.” His daughter flew to him, clinging tightly to his chest. She was shaking. “Another bad dream?” A nod was the only answer. Carefully he rearranged himself so that they could lay down, her head pillowed on his arm. With his other hand he rubbed her back soothingly. Within moments her shaking stopped. Safe in her father’s arms, Eowyn slept in peace. For Elcalion: In Memoriam The Day of Tears, we call it, for we wept much when our kinsfolk sundered themselves from us. We watched, helpless, as they were consumed with an illness even the joys of our home could not mend. The stars were forgotten in their longing for Light; their desire for Trees, not all the variety of our forests could fill. They lost interest in healing the hurts of our beloved land and abandoned their tasks to others. And we wept to lose them; and still we weep, surrounded by the beauty they saw not, when we remember the Day of Tears. ~Wolfwind

February 8th: Elcalion - I'd like something Elven - especially 1st or 2nd age if anyone wants to write one. and February 13th: Ithiliel Silverquill - I especially love Erestor and Glorfindel (not slash) and the sons of Fëanor. Come to think of it, anything with Elves is wonderful. I feel like the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland...I'm late...I'm late. My drabble muse, although not dead, is certainly in a coma so I hope you both forgive my tardiness. And that you don't mind sharing a drabble. It does include an elf...Glorfindel to be precise... Happy Belated Birthday to you both!! Cheers, Vistula ~~~~ By Any Other Name “Beggin’ your pardon, sir.” He stands before me, hands wringing nervously. His wounded Master sleeps and somehow he’s found the courage to make his approach. “Ai, Master Gamgee?” He trembles in fear – or perhaps excitement – I cannot tell which, but presses on. “I’ve a question, if I’d not be too bold?” “Please.” “‘Tis ‘bout your name. I remember hearing Mister Bilbo tell of an elf warrior by that name. One who died. Fighting a…um...” “Balrog.” “Balrog. Were you named for him, sir?” I laugh gently and embarrassment takes him. “Come…since Frodo sleeps, I will tell you my story.”

Happy birthday, Maedhros. Your namesake doesn't want to talk to me—as a matter of fact, most characters don't want to talk to me at this moment. Therefore, I'm going to be dreadfully unoriginal and offer up a drabble I wrote awhile ago, when I was first experimenting with the form. I thought it turned out fairly well, and perhaps a Maedhros fan will enjoy it, despite its age. For those who find Maedhros' final hours disturbing, this would be something to miss... Maedhros "Glitter, shine slick with it, my precious—red as my hair, bright as guilt. I can do no right, giving and taking with the left hand only. Let me then seek that creature that is most in me now—iron, fool's gold, rock for the metal-minded to grind himself against. So sing, brother, sing your dirge—you were ever moved by water, and now 'tis in your mind. We go to our native elements—Father to flame, you to sea, I to earth, and all of us to the air of memory. Fitting, fitting. Lay me down not gently below."

Dizzamn. I thought it turned out fairly well, and perhaps a Maedhros fan will enjoy it, despite its age. ?!! The drabble was like purified awesomeness. (And I'm not even a big Silmfan.) It was just so intensely lyrical and the imagery was amazing and vivid. And this: Glitter, shine slick with it, my precious—red as my hair, bright as guilt. I can do no right, giving and taking with the left hand only. My creative nervous center went on overload and melted after reading this. Well done! Aeneid

Thank you! I absolutely loved it! Poor Sam... there's no reason to be nervous or embarrassed around Glorfindel. Cheers for Glorfindel, taking Sam's mind off of Frodo for a while, so that he can hear about Elves. No, I don't mind at all! It's just lovely. Thank you so much, again! -Ithiliel

Another late one, for TZA

Eowyn? Check. Elfhelm? Check. However, I'm not sure that this "focuses on a different area than fanfics generally do," and it's dark-ish. Sorry, TZA - hope it still counts as a birthday present. Folly If she knew what we rode toward, had ever faced the slashing iron hooks of the Orcs, Eowyn would not seek to join us. Or am I mistaken? Her eyes are empty rather than defiant. She has not seen the spoor of death in battle, but she is hard on its track and not to be dissuaded from pursuing it. “What of the people your uncle entrusted to you?” “We all must face the end alone.” My laughter tastes bitter. “Eowyn, you may be a fine Rider, but to be a leader you must know that -- and conceal it.”

Wow! Thank you Wolfwind and Vistula! Two excellent drabbles! I've been spoiled this year! I love the Teleri/Vanyar lamenting the flight of the Noldor - it's a aspect of canon that's far too often overshadowed by all the chaos the Noldor inflict, so it's great to remember that the other Elves remember them and even wait for the Noldor to return... we can only hope! And Sam... gotta love Samwise and his Elf-fascination, and of course Glorfindel is excellent where'eer he goes! Thankyou again to you both Elcalion

For Werecat (February 2005 Birthdays - Part 2)

For Werecat, who wrote:
I'd like something that involves the animals of Middle Earth. (And what a surprise that was.) Not necessarily cats, I'll take anything from squirrels to fell beasts. As long as it does not involve any animal cruelty, that is. Fell beasts need a hug too.
Hopefully this fits the bill. Happy birthday, Werecat. ~*~ A Feast With Friends A blood-red sunset lights the western sky. Blacked-winged birds homeward take flight, their mournful cries borne upon the wind. The waxing moon rises, bathing the swelling grass-lands in its cold silver light. The battles fought but lately have claimed many friends, and here beside the bitterly contested Fords of Isen our voices are raised in the songs of our kindred as we tend to the bodies of our fallen comrades… Dread, and silence fall at his approach. Warily we watch from the shadows, waiting till the shining silver-shade and his White Rider pass over the silent streambed. Our feast resumes. ~Nessime

Thank you so much! On his finger a ring flashed blue in the sunlight; on her breast a green brooch glowed with an inward light. I love the contrast and image here. ^_^ ~Loqi

Ithiliel Silverquill - I especially love Erestor and Glorfindel (not slash) and the sons of Fëanor. Come to think of it, anything with Elves is wonderful. Happy (belated) birthday. A little Rivendell Elf action for you... Doubt “Think you that Lord Elrond made a wise decision?” Glorfindel shot a surprised glance at his long time friend. “For ages we have known each other, Erestor. Yet this is the first I have heard you question his judgment.” “Sending the One Ring back to the Enemy in the hands of a Halfling? To me it seems like folly.” “To many it may seem as such. But what other choice have we?” Erestor seemed to stiffen at those words. “There are safe places the Ring could be hidden. Glorfindel clasped his shoulder. “Until the Ring is destroyed, nowhere is safe.”

Wow, thank you, Arandil! Ah, Erestor... so wise that he is driven to foolishness. Deliciously ironic. That's one of my favorite snippets of the Council. Unfortunately, Glorfindel is right, and that must be a very sobering realization: that not even Rivendell is safe anymore. I love this! Thank you so much! -Ithiliel

Re: Happy Birthday, Werecat!

Hello all! Hope Werecat doesn't mind a bit from a newbie -- I think it's slightly over 100, though. But that's down from 400, from a totally different angle. I may not be able to resist pursuing that angle later. Happy Birthday! Mother's Warning Do not go near that black pool, little kits. When you see that rotting water, you are too close, and you must run back into the trees before it knows you are there. Something lives in the water, and it is neither fish nor snake. It has taken more foxes than our memories can tell, and you will not be the first to escape. I do not know what it is, little one. I ran when my foolish litter-mate approached the water’s edge on a dare, and his shrieking was terrible to hear. Trust your mother, little kits. Those men’s howls will shake the forest. ******* Did a slight edit, changing "smell the rotting water" to "see". It occurred to me that if it were rotting, even a person could smell it from quite a long way away.

Re: February Birthdays 2: For Werecat, early

Hi all. Just a quick note to thank everyone for their lovely drabbles. I will reply in more detail later, but due to the recent illness and death of a family member I have lost much of the mood for networking. Thank you all from my heart, and I hope I can catch up with you over the weekend. Peace, Werecat

Happy Birthday Mysterious Jedi and Tanuswolf!

Happy Birthday Mysterious Jedi and Tanuswolf! I tried to write an Aragorn and Faramir friendship drabble but they just had too much to say, so it's a double drabble, instead. And definitely not sad at all. Presence of Presents "So, what do you think?" Aragorn looked thoughtful, appearing to give the question great consideration. "I think you are mad, my friend." "You don't think she will like it?" Aragorn grinned. "You are marrying Eowyn. I am not sure those are the actions of a sane man. And, no, I don't she will like it," he said, becoming serious at last. Faramir sighed. He was, he had to admit, at something of a loss. "She's from Rohan, so she likes horses. I thought I couldn't possibly go wrong with horses." "Just wait until she beats you round the head with it." Aragorn could not help but chuckle at the notion. "You think this is funny, don't you?" "Well, yes," Aragorn conceded. "So," Faramir turned on his friend, "what have you got for the Lady Arwen?" "Ah, well, I'm... working on that." "Hmm." There was a pause. "Help!" Aragorn pleaded. "Only if you help me first." "Agreed." The two friends shook hands. "Just don't tell Arwen." "I won't. As long as you don't tell Eowyn." And the two women never had any idea what their future husbands originally had in store for them, so pleased they were with their eventual gifts. (I would reveal what Faramir's original gift was, but sadly, I ran out of words ). Nic

question re: reposting drabbles elsewhere

I would very much like to have permission to post the wonderful drabbles that everyone wrote for my birthday in my LiveJournal. They are real mathoms that I can keep to treasure and share at the same time, so I'm hoping you'll say yes. TIA ~Nessime

Happy b-day, Werecat

[Edit: Just read up-thread: I'm sorry to hear about your family, Werecat. Take care—Dwim] Survivors "Carefully, Bergil!" Beregond calls, struggling against a father's natural feeling to shield his son from destruction. He's seen worse already. Too late to spare him aught... Still, there're other dangers: their home lies ruined, crushed under a hail of stone like so many in the First Circle. Heedless of him, Bergil burrows through the rubble by the one standing wall. Wiping filthy hands, Beregond pleads, "Bergil, be–" just as his son whoops, dragging forth a thin, dust-coated cat. "Told you she'd be waiting!" Bergil crows, triumphant. Ammië meows, and for one lad in this shattered city, the world's righted.

Re: Happy Birthday Mysterious Jedi and Tanuswolf!

And the two women never had any idea what their future husbands originally had in store for them, so pleased they were with their eventual gifts. (I would reveal what Faramir's original gift was, but sadly, I ran out of words ). After that long drabble, you're not gonna tell us what Faramir's original gift was? Did he get something tacky on sale at The Gap of Rohan or something? I love Aragorn/Faramir drabbles; good job, Nic. Dwim, I loved Bergil's triumphant rescue of the cat! You write him and Beregond very well. RAKSHA THE DEMON

After that long drabble, you're not gonna tell us what Faramir's original gift was? Did he get something tacky on sale at The Gap of Rohan or something? Come on RAKSHA...it had to be a large, pink, stuffed My Pretty Pony... LOL! Vistula Picturing Eowyn beating him about the head with it...

I'm replying to a bunch of people in one, before starting a new thread. elcalion wrote: I love the Teleri/Vanyar lamenting the flight of the Noldor - it's a aspect of canon that's far too often overshadowed by all the chaos the Noldor inflict, so it's great to remember that the other Elves remember them and even wait for the Noldor to return... we can only hope! Ooooh, now that's an absolutely fascinating idea! See, when I wrote it, I had in mind the Avari lamenting the departure of the Eldar. But it works for more than one occasion! It does seem to be something of a trend among Elves, these divisions. The Quendi divided, the Sindar divided, the Caliquendi divided... I wonder if I could make the drabble work for all of them? I might have to change the line about Trees, but the rest might work... *ponders* Loquacious wrote: I love the contrast and image here. ^_^ I'm so glad you did! I was trying to think about how Celebrian would use the Elessar to help Imladris, and I realized that Elrond had Vilya, and the ring butted in and would not leave. I'm glad you didn't mind! Pushy elven rings. :-) Nessime wrote: I would very much like to have permission to post the wonderful drabbles that everyone wrote for my birthday in my LiveJournal. I'm flattered, and you're more than welcome to do what you like with it. It's your birthday present, after all! ~Wolfwind

Magic 50! Head over to the new thread to continue posting! Edit: OK, I am trying to make a link to the new thread and failing miserably. Anyone want to take pity on my ignorance and link us in properly, please? ~Wolfwind

OK, I am trying to make a link to the new thread and failing miserably. Anyone want to take pity on my ignorance and link us in properly, please? Pity hereby taken: the new thread is here. FYI, the link looks like this, with "<" instead of "{": {a href="../forums/messages.cfm?confId=0&forumId=482&messageId=38139" target="_new">here{/a> - Barbara

*snickers* Two wordy men and two ladies which are in for a surprise... Thanks your very muchly, Nic...for this very nice surprise of my own! Men of Gondor, which, just for once don´t brood, fight, suffer or die are always a very welcomed sight! ;) Toodles, Taunuswolf

New thread

Starting a new thread. Please post new drabbles and comments there. RiverOtter

Re: New thread

New thread already started here! Allie

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum