Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: October 2004 Birthdays - 2

October 2004 Birthdays - 2

As I was very bad and didn't start a new thread for September when I should have done, I'll start this one.

12 October - MadGamgee

I'd like to see a moment between Eowyn and Pippin. They're my favorite characters, and undoubtedly they met, both being so close to Merry and Faramir, but Tolkien never tells us about that.

14 October - Faramir_Boromir

My birthday is October 14 and I would appreciate any words about
Boromir

As a new soldier, as a trainee, as a son, as a commander, as a brother, as a figure of affection to his men, in Osgiliath, in Minas Tirith, travelling to Rivendell, fighting in Moria.... I'd just as soon not have death fic, ...something about the man when he is alive would please me best.

16 October - Arquen

My birthday is October 16th, and I'd love a drabble from the POV of someone (other than Tar-Miriel) during the destruction of Numenor. Either one of the Faithful on the ships, or someone watching the wave descend upon the island. Thanks!

19 October - Branwyn

For my birthday (October 19th), I ask for words about the weaving of banners, spiderwebs, or intrigues. Thanks!
Branwyn

crafting a web of words--
cords of sinew, thread of silver

weaving a tissue of dreams--
cloth of nettles, cloth of gold

30 October - Cheryl

My birthday is October 30th, and I'd like to see some friendship drabbles between Aragorn and Legolas. Before,during or after the Ring War is fine. No slash please. Thank you!

October 31—Raksha the Demon: I'd love a Faramir drabble - Faramir meeting Elves after the Ring War (or Legolas in the Houses of Healing), Faramir and Eomer, Faramir and Aragorn's relationship, Faramir as a fighter/warrior, Faramir as a musician and/or singer, a Faramir-Gimli conversation, Faramir's relationship with Gandalf, whichever y'all would prefer. I prefer non-slash.

Re: October 2004 babies continued

And say.... Ann, Gwynnyd, both of those drabbles were wonderful (as always). Cheers, Liz

For Faramir_Boromir

Faramir_Boromir wanted any words about Boromir. I haven't yet managed to write Boromir as anything other than a child, and of course I couldn't possibly not mention his father and brother. But I hope this perspective from his nursery maid will suit. Brotherly love He was so strong! I remember his small, blunt hand slipped from mine, he tugged so hard. I gave chase, but he was through the door and crying, “Let me see! Let me see!” before we could make a more seemly entrance. Still, the Lord Denethor was in a rare good mood and did not reprimand me. Always a restless blur of rich velvets and dark hair, I remember. But that moment he was still. I watched my sweet boy lean over the crib and will not forget his words. “I will always take good care of you, little brother.” Happy early birthday, Faramir_Boromir! Cheers, Liz

I'd like to see a moment between Eowyn and Pippin. They're my favorite characters, and undoubtedly they met, both being so close to Merry and Faramir, but Tolkien never tells us about that. Happy Birthday MadGamgee. I hope you have a wonderful day!! Cheers! Vistula ~~~~~ Sharing “Let’s see, cheese, some bread…” Eowyn paused in her storeroom rummaging, at the patter of bare feet. “M’lady Eowyn?” It was one of the holbytla. Not a ring-bearer, he wore the livery of a Citadel guard. “You must be Pippin,” she whispered. “Merry often spoke of you.” The hobbit nodded, smiling. “I came to snitch a bite since the coronation feast isn’t for some hours yet.” “Me too. I've attended many formal dinners and there’s never enough to eat or drink.” “Shall we sup together then? I’d like to hear about Merry and your adventures.” “Let’s. Here carry the wine.”

Birthday Drabble for Arquen

Arquen wanted a drabble from the POV of someone (other than Tar-Miriel) during the destruction of Numenor. Either one of the Faithful on the ships, or someone watching the wave descend upon the island. Happy birthday, Arquen! Hope this particular "someone" watching the wave qualifies! - Barbara Triumph Incarnate Armenelos the golden? Nay! By My hand, armenelos the blackened! I bade them burn the white tree. Reluctantly, they obeyed. The acrid smoke shrouds the nimbus-wracked sky, split asunder by lightning. I bade them betray their kindred, despoil, violate, sacrifice; willingly, they complied. The foolish faithful shriek and wail... the charred charnel-stench arouses My passion. I bade them breach the ban of the valar and, pridefully, their king voyaged westward. The menacing wavecrest looms. My goal's at hand: to purge these paltry vermin who sought to subjugate Me! Satisfied, I mount the ebon throne in My impenetrable Temple. And laugh. *** And Sauron, sitting in his black seat in the midst of the Temple, had laughed when he heard the trumpets of Ar-Pharazôn sounding for battle; and again he had laughed when he heard the thunder of the storm; and a third time, even as he laughed at his own thought, thinking what he would do now in the world, being rid of the Edain for ever, he was taken in the midst of his mirth, and his seat and his temple fell into the abyss. But Sauron was not of mortal flesh, and though he was robbed now of that shape in which he had wrought so great an evil ... yet his spirit arose out of the deep and passed as a shadow and a black wind over the sea, and came back to Middle-earth.... The Silmarillion, Akallabêth

Re: Birthday Drabble for Arquen

Arquen wanted a drabble from the POV of someone (other than Tar-Miriel) during the destruction of Numenor. Since Elena Tiriel did such justice to the bad guy in her wonderfully scary drabble, I thought we deserved to hear from the other side. Happy Birthday, Arquen. Cheers, Liz What can be saved The ship’s master shouts to the crew above the noise of the storm, directing their struggle with tangled rope and broken spar. I cannot see the other ships: swept apart, who knows if we will meet again? I do not look back. I know our sweet isle is gone, though I see the wave crashing over it even with open eyes. I think I will never forget. Another lurch the other way. I hurry down to the cabin to check the crate is securely lashed. I touch one precious leaf: a token of what can be saved to begin again. *** But Elendil did all that his father had bidden, and his ships lay off the east coast of the land [...] in the ship of Isildur was guarded the young tree, the scion of Nimloth the Fair. The Silmarillion, Akallabêth

For Cheryl, who welcomed me so nicely to HASA and would "like to see some friendship drabbles between Aragorn and Legolas. Before, during or after the Ring War is fine." At the Top of the Stairs of the Hornburg Hurry, men of Rohan, up the stairs to the gate, retreat! Orcs overwhelm us! You must gain safety! Gimli, where is Gimli? So many men, I cannot see. Too tall, too fair, no beard, how does one dwarf hide amongst these men? Have I missed him? Aragorn, what are you doing? I have but one arrow! Do not taunt them! I cannot protect you with one arrow. Ascend, you fool! "All who can have now got safe within, Aragorn," he called. "Come back!" (1) Heed me, my friend. I may have lost Gimli. I shall not lose you as well. ******* (1) "Helm's Deep", The Two Towers (Ballantine Books, February 1977 paperback ed., pg. 181) LKK

OHH! Yay! Wonderful! Just wonderful! The bond of friendship is never stronger than in battle and you showed that so well. Thank you LKK!! Cheryl

Cheryl asked for "friendship drabbles between Aragorn and Legolas." *** Of Pipe-weed The pungent scent of pipe-weed that always seemed to cling to Aragorn’s clothing woke Legolas when the Ranger was still in the midst of leaning down to tap his shoulder and tell him it was time for his watch. “Does not Arwen object?” asked Legolas. “To what?” Legolas nodded at the pipe Aragorn held. “To the habit you have borrowed from the Hobbits. Or the Wizard?” “She never has yet,” said Aragorn. “If it offended her, I think she would have spoken.” “Perhaps. Or perhaps she is waiting until you can no longer escape before she tries to change you.”

Oh, Oh, OH!! *jumping up an down excitedly* I got another one!! YAY!! Thanks Cel!! LOL Good point about Arwen! *giggle* Legolas does have a point. Thank you!! Cheryl

You're welcome! Example of drawing on RL in a backward kind of way... I used to smoke, myself, although I quit before I met the present Mr. Brandybuck. But had I still been smoking, I really wonder if we would have hit it off! Though I must say that good pipe-weed smells quite nice, IMO. Had friends who used to smoke pipe tobacco. Cel

What can be saved Aw, Liz, that's just lovely! I've always been inspired by the story of Isildur rescuing the fruit of Nimloth, and recovering from his injuries when it sprouted. I'm glad I left the part about burning the White Tree in my drabble... An interesting bit of accidental synergy? - Barbara

Aw, Liz, that's just lovely! I've always been inspired by the story of Isildur rescuing the fruit of Nimloth, and recovering from his injuries when it sprouted. Thanks, Barbara! That story - rescuing what you can from the wreckage to rebuild around - has particular personal resonance for me. I also love the way Isildur is described as quietly undertaking the errand without any flashy bravado. I'm glad I left the part about burning the White Tree in my drabble... An interesting bit of accidental synergy? Or inspiration! The idea has been kicking around in my head for a while, but your drabble coaxed it out. Cheers, Liz

Re: For Faramir_Boromir

"Brotherly love He was so strong! I remember his small, blunt hand slipped from mine, he tugged so hard. I gave chase, but he was through the door and crying, “Let me see! Let me see!” before we could make a more seemly entrance. Still, the Lord Denethor was in a rare good mood and did not reprimand me. Always a restless blur of rich velvets and dark hair, I remember. But that moment he was still. I watched my sweet boy lean over the crib and will not forget his words. “I will always take good care of you, little brother.” Happy early birthday, Faramir_Boromir! Cheers, Liz" How sweeeeet. Little Boromir insisting on seeing his new baby brother! You can just feel the love in those strong little-boy hands. Nice work! RAKSHA THE DEMON

Happy birthday, faramir_boromir :)

My birthday is October 14 and I would appreciate any words about Boromir [snip]...I'd just as soon not have death fic, ...something about the man when he is alive would please me best. Hope this suits -- sort of an anti-death ficlet :large birthday hug:: Oh, and it's definitely movie-verse. The Five Armies

Pressie for Faramir_Boromir

As a new soldier, as a trainee, as a son, as a commander, as a brother, as a figure of affection to his men, in Osgiliath, in Minas Tirith, travelling to Rivendell, fighting in Moria.... I'd just as soon not have death fic, ...something about the man when he is alive would please me best. Since I cannot do drabbles, and I'm surely violating the rules, so that I can probably expect to be tarred and feathered, but... Boromir alive? Erm... I feel I must SSP, voila! And if that's too long, here's my attempt at a drabble. Do drabbles have to be prose? (Edit: Added a title.)
Osgiliath Rest now, son of Gondor, Times and troubles, all from Mordor Weary sigh, growling stretch Lay me down, here to rest. Dreams, hot burning fire Of wenches, ale, laughing sire “How many dead, herald?” “Three thousand in all.” “That is not bad…” Rapid-fire flashes of lust gone wrong Black orcish blood, the blade’s gory song. “And now, my son, show me your scar. Yes, good. Lovely. Right up to par.” “Ah, ’twas a thick black-tipped arrow, shot straight through my marrow.” Thwock! Awake. Creaking cot, beading sweat, Dizzy head, sleep, a threat, While right outside, Faramir: “Ho! Brother! Sleep well?”

Re: Pressie for Faramir_Boromir

Here's another one - and look, not only is Boromir alive; it's even relatively cheerful. A Ride of Hope He balances easily on the horse, lets the reins fall loose and feels his clothes and hair whipped back by the wind. He is free. Ahead of him stretches blue skies and endless plains of whispering grass and, as the sun beats down on him, he is happy. He rides away from the dark tendrils that curl about sleep and make his days an endless test of mettle. He rides on a dreamer’s quest when all his hard-won soldier’s logic tells him that the time for dreams is past… and yet dreams he still. Behind lies darkness: ahead lies hope. Avon PS: Aenied - nope, drabbles don't have to be prose. I used to think they did, but did some research when we were drabbling the books and found (can't remember where) that they didn't have to be. PPS: Can anyone tell me whether it should be lies hope or lays hope (Word's suggestion)?

A Ride of Hope Lovely drabble, Avon! I really like how you end it on a positive note... the future and hope lie ahead... And "lie" is the right verb in this case. In general, "lie" is an intransitive verb: Someone lies (around)... whereas "lay" is a transitive verb: Someone lays something (down)... (As always, there are exceptions: e.g. laying eggs...) And thank you for being the first to post a prose drabble after Aeneid's beautiful and moving verse. I was afraid the standards for these birthday drabbles had just been raised so high, I'd never be able to show my face here again... - Barbara

Aeneid, I cannot believe that you cannot do drabbles! Yours is impressive -- evocative and beautiful and scary. And written in verse! That is just awesome! - Barbara, who really cannot write verse and is extremely impressed by anyone who can do so and make it sound good and tell a story all at the same time.

Aeneid, That was great! It's got me counting the days until my birthday (Twenty-eight). Let's see, what might I ask for? Hmmmm.......... Ann

Ah, thank you to both Barbara and Ann! I'm glad you guys enjoyed it, and I'm glad (phew!) that drabbles can be verse, since I don't know if I'd be able to manage otherwise. I had meant it to be a humorous drabble, but I've been channeling Tragic!Boromir lately. Nonetheless, I hope F_B enjoys it! Aeneid (who has already decided what she wants for her b-day drabble)

My birthday is October 14 and I would appreciate any words about Boromir Happy Birthday Faramir_Boromir! Have a wonderful day!! Hope you enjoy! Cheers, Vistula ~~~~~ Little Ones He hears them - teeth chattering in the darkness. They’re cold, afraid. The creature in the water has shaken them, more than their stout hearts want to admit. Enveloped in the creeping black of Moria, they shiver with more than cold. Horror curls about them like the musty air. Too proud to admit it, they huddle together finding little comfort in their mutual terror. Strength can only be gained from strength. “Merry. Pippin. Come here.” He coaxes gently, offering them protection against the night. Eagerly, they obey nestling like children against his sides. Wrapped by his courage they sleep in peace.

Lovely drabble, Avon! I really like how you end it on a positive note... the future and hope lie ahead... Thanks, Barbara. The pun appealed. And "lie" is the right verb in this case. In general, "lie" is an intransitive verb: Someone lies (around)... whereas "lay" is a transitive verb: Someone lays something (down)... (As always, there are exceptions: e.g. laying eggs...) Thank you - that was what I thought. It's just that because I only *know* it is right without knowing all the proper words for it I get a little hesitant at times. Cheers, Avon

For Cheryl (Aragorn's side)

I promised Cheryl a second Aragorn and Legolas drabble from Aragorn's POV to complement the Legolas focused one, and here it is: Bringing the sun The snow is cold but I sweat as I follow Boromir to forge a path. Head down, intent, I startle when Legolas passes with a wave of his hand, running swift and sure over the snow. Breathing hard, we reach the bend at last. The snow rears high, sharp crested. Boromir says wearily, “We cannot pass.” My spirit fails. Then Legolas appears above us. “Take heart, friends. I do not bring the sun, but tidings. The drift is little wider than a wall.” Boromir and I turn back to our task, renewed. Legolas, my friend, you bring the sun indeed. Happy birthday, Cheryl Cheers, Liz

Re: For Cheryl (Aragorn's side)

I promised Cheryl a second Aragorn and Legolas drabble from Aragorn's POV to complement the Legolas focused one, and here it is: OH! and a lovely Aragorn POV drabble it is Thank you Liz! Cheryl

Thank you - that was what I thought. It's just that because I only *know* it is right without knowing all the proper words for it I get a little hesitant at times. Yes, I know exactly what you mean... My weakness is the names of the verb tenses: I know which verb tense is appropriate for a certain sentence, but I don't remember what to call it, so it is hard to explain my reasoning to others... - Barbara

Dear Liz, What a lovely surprise--I feel the Boromir-fic has been wonderful the last few days. I particularly liked phrases that described him: his small, blunt hand and Always a restless blur of rich velvets and dark hair. Two beautiful images that sum up a small boy always on the go, destined to roam and fight. They are just so apt for young Boromir. Thank you so much for this! F_B

Re: Happy birthday, faramir_boromir :)

Dear Flick, I've already commented over at LJ on this, but just wanted to let you know one more time how good I think this fic is. It is just how his men would remember him, where they would do it, and how they would do it. Thank you so much! F_B

Dear Avon, Yes, a Living, Cheerful Boromir! Mirable Dictu! Alert the Media! Thank you again for this wonderful vision of happy Boromir. Truly lovely! F_B

Dear Vistula, At the risk of repeating what I wrote on the yahoo HA list, I very much enjoyed this--Boromir is the protector, the strong and sturdy. Yet this basic fact is often forgotten for a brief moment of weakness. Thanks for reminding us that he could read the hearts of others, see weaknesses, then comfort and console. Thank you bunches! F_B

Dear Aeneid, I think you can write an over-long drabble anytime you like! This is so very full of imagery that the reader might be standing beside Boromir as he awakens from his dream/nightmare. Is it part of the Adraefan universe? I particularly liked the notion of "show me your scar" for, of course, Boromir would have plenty of those! Thank you! F_B

Happy (Belated) Birthday Faramir_Boromir!

Heya F_B! I'm a day late with this (I hope you'll forgive me...), but I hope you had a great day! One Boromir drabble coming right up! To Soothe the Savage Beast The lion's roaring sent the healer scurrying from the room and right into his brother. With an apologetic 'My lord', she smothered a grimace and hurried off. Amused, he entered the room and found Boromir in bed, glowering; a broken leg and forced immobility clearly did not suit him. 'You really are an awful patient,' Faramir commented mildly, dropping into a chair beside the bed. 'You're scaring the healers away.' Boromir growled something unintelligible, finishing with what sounded like 'Valar take the horse'. Hiding a smile, Faramir stretched out his legs and began his tale, hoping it might help soothe the savage beast. ~~~ Many happy returns! ~Ti

Re: Happy (Belated) Birthday Faramir_Boromir!

Hi T_L, No apologies needed for a drabble this good! I can see this unfolding before my eyes, exactly as you have laid it out. Vivid, very believable. And of course, my favorite lines are "Faramir commented mildly" (almost deliberate, for he knows this will probably goad Boromir even more) and "Valar take the horse"--what a great curse! I read those and broke into laughter, for they are right on target with these two. Thank you for a lovely vignette of the two brothers! F_B

Hey F_B, Good, I'm glad you enjoyed the b-day drabble! Is it part of the Adraefan universe? Eh... Not really. In that it can be, but it doesn't need to be, since it's pre-Fellowship. I particularly liked the notion of "show me your scar" for, of course, Boromir would have plenty of those! Oh, indeed. And I wonder if, in his old age, he would show them off, boasting? Hmm. Pondering the elderly characterization... Aeneid

Thank you F_B! I also see Boromir as a protector and feel that many times he gets the short end of the stick due to his momentary weakness. I think he'd be very protective of those he traveled with and the hobbits in particular because they were small and not warriors. That's why I loved PJ's scene when Boromir is teaching Merry and Pippin sword fighting and they tackle him. So endearing. That is the Boromir I like to see. Cheers! Vistula

I particularly liked phrases that described him: his small, blunt hand and Always a restless blur of rich velvets and dark hair. Two beautiful images that sum up a small boy always on the go, destined to roam and fight. They are just so apt for young Boromir. Hi F_B I'm glad you liked it! I'm slowly working my way up to making sense of grown-up Boromir by thinking about what he must have been like as a child, before his natural personality traits became more masked by social demands. I definitely see him as a noisy, cheerful and cheeky presence around the Citadel - and capturing everyone's hearts. Cheers, Liz

Re: Happy (Belated) Birthday Faramir_Boromir!

Hey F_B! Glad you liked - and I'm glad it made you laugh! Cheers, Ti

Re: October 2004 - for Faramir_Boromir

14 October - Faramir_Boromir My birthday is October 14 and I would appreciate any words about Boromir As a new soldier, as a trainee, as a son, as a commander, as a brother, as a figure of affection to his men, in Osgiliath, in Minas Tirith, travelling to Rivendell, fighting in Moria.... I'd just as soon not have death fic, ...something about the man when he is alive would please me best. Hope your birthday was a happy one! You get a double because it's a little late! Two views for a stranger I have been too long alone, Boromir thought as he surveyed the empty forest undecided about his course for the day. He missed even his horse’s company. Since that evil river crossing, he had had nothing to talk to. Sufficient, he’d thought himself, inured to hardships. In this curséd autumn wilderness, he had not seen so much as a plume of smoke or desolate farm. Feeling eyes upon him, he whirled, but again saw only nearly leafless branches swaying in the breeze. Imladris. Fool’s errand. Better Faramir had come. Where to? Soon, he would be loudly answering himself. The Ranger acts lost. Rumour ran thru the valley and within hours the stranger was being closely shadowed as he wandered through the woods near Rivendell to see what he might portend. He looked like a Ranger - tall, dark-haired, bright flashing eyes - save his strangely fashioned clothes. No Ranger behaved like this one. Each day he set a new course and followed it doggedly, silently, stopping only to forage for food or hunt. Each evening he sat silent around his fire. If he seeks the hidden path, why does he not call out now that he is in elvish woods? Have many, many more happy birthdays and lots more drabbles for the rest of the month! Gwynnyd

For Branwyn

Happy birthday, Branwyn! I am no drabbler, but how can I resist a request for the weaving of spiderwebs? I hope that weird Shelob POVs don't irritate you. Noldo
Her Weaving It is intricate, and beautiful; slender strands woven into a pattern only her foremothers knew, and they have handed it down to her. She touches it, and she is satisfied. It is perfect for the purpose it serves, and she knows she could scarce have woven better. It hangs down from the ceiling like a magnificent tapestry, splendid in its sameness, in the prevalence of an underlying motif. She is proud of her work – and this is why she is so angry, a little later, when the small one who is not a man ruins it with his accursed Elven-blade.

Dear Vistula, Yep, Boromir's training the hobbits to fight is very much in keeping with his character. He must protect the weak, those who are smaller or slighter than he is (it explains much about his relationship to Faramir). PJ hit that one right on the head, I think. Thanks again! F_B

Re: October 2004 - for Faramir_Boromir

Dear Gwynnyd, Thank you very much! This is a beautiful example of two-perspective writing. I like how Boromir is so alone, he even misses his horse...and thinks he may start talking to himself. Very much in character for him, as he's such a social animal, needs others around him to keep him on course. Meanwhile, the elves are mystified by his appearance, and ignorance--acting very....elvish. "No ranger behaved like this one" is precisely their frame of reference. I liked this a lot. Thank you for writing it. F_B

For Raksha

Happy early birthday, Raksha! Well, I happen to be a Glorfindel fan, so I've given you a meeting between him and Faramir. I happen to support the theory of the One Glorfindel, and this is pretty obvious in the drabble. Anyway, that's moot. Hope that your birthday's nice.
White Cities Glorfindel is a good tale-spinner, Faramir will admit, but the tale of Gondolin stirs up painful feelings believed long-forgotten - he cannot help but think of the first person who mentioned the name to him. Boromir. Faramir looks at Glorfindel and thinks that his brother and the Elf are similar in one thing – they both died for their White City. But Glorfindel came back, and Boromir did not. Faramir looks at the Elf again, and, petty as he knows it is, he cannot help but feel a small stab of regret – regret and envy.

Oh, I liked this! I tried to find the one with Legolas's POV - is it on this thread? Jay

Hi Jay Glad you liked it ! The Legolas POV on is over on the other October thread in this post Cheers, Liz

Re: For Raksha

"White Cities Glorfindel is a good tale-spinner, Faramir will admit, but the tale of Gondolin stirs up painful feelings believed long-forgotten - he cannot help but think of the first person who mentioned the name to him. Boromir. Faramir looks at Glorfindel and thinks that his brother and the Elf are similar in one thing – they both died for their White City. But Glorfindel came back, and Boromir did not. Faramir looks at the Elf again, and, petty as he knows it is, he cannot help but feel a small stab of regret – regret and envy." Thanx, Noldo! An unusual meeting, but it works well. I can just see Faramir thinking this and wondering why Boromir didn't get that second chance. RAKSHA

Dear Noldo, Super drabble! Naturally I like the bits about the brothers best. Have you considered posting it over on LJ in the Tolkien_weekly community? They are running a challenge on the theme of Envy this week, and this drabble would be perfect. *clears throat* In the interests of total disclosure, I'll admit that I'm one of the mods for the community, and I'd love to see this posted there for others to enjoy. I think this is so right, makes me want to know more about the "One Glorfindel" theory. Faramir_boromir

Ah, thank you! That explains why I couldn't find it. Very nice. (I'd read it before, but was wondering about the Caradhras scene from Legolas's POV.) Jay

Ah, thank you! That explains why I couldn't find it. Very nice. (I'd read it before, but was wondering about the Caradhras scene from Legolas's POV.) Ah, yes, I can see how I would have confused you - sorry about that! Glad you liked the other one as well. I have written the Caradhras scene from Legolas's POV, but it was back in June for Lady Aranel . Cheers, Liz

Nice one, Noldo! I liked the comparison... and the last lines brings itu otu very well.

Raksha the Demon: I'd love a Faramir drabble - a Faramir-Gimli conversation, I love all your requests! The muses aren't being very co-operative but I did always want to write a Faramir Gimli conversation some time so here you go... hope it works Happy birthday! *** The View “You will get a finer sight of Ithilien from up there,” Faramir told the dwarf indicating the small spur where stood their friends. “I like the view I get here,” Gimli responded stubbornly as he sat on a large flat rock, his back to the much acclaimed view and resting his palms on his knees, gazed at the small plateau ahead. “And what do you see, Master Gimli?” Faramir asked curiously. “I see the fine house we shall build where shall dwell the prince of the realm with his wife and all their fine children,” Gimli said calmly, “Right here.” ***

For Arquen

Late one, sorry; but I hope the fact it's a double drabble makes up for it. - - - He thought that he could outrun the storm and return to the ships before the wave fell. The captain warned him - We cannot wait for stragglers - but how could he leave Lissuin behind? One last time, he had to try to persuade her. And this time, he succeeded - even his wilful young wife was daunted. "Our pride has cost us," she admitted. They foundered the horses trying to reach Andunié in time; for nothing. Now they huddle in the lee of the city wall. Water falls from the black sky, rises up from the black sea, blows sideways on the wind. From under her cloak she watches him. "I cost you a chance to live. I am sorry." He is past sorrow, past anger. He feels only regret that the two of them will never see the shores of Middle-Earth. "We are still voyaging together," he tells her, and it is true. Together they will discover what - if anything - lies beyond the wave. The roar is so loud it is past hearing - not a noise, but a blow. They do not look up, but cling to one another and hope not to be sundered.

Re: For Arquen

Calling one and all! The drabble odometer indicates that this thread has hit the 50 post mark. Please head over to our new thread "October Babies 2004 Continued - Episode 3" and post your drabbles there. Thanks! cheers nrink

Re: For Branwyn

Noldo-- Please forgive my late reply--I have been out of town. For my birthday, I took a trip to Boston to see the LOTR exhibit; it was wonderful except that seeing Boromir in the boat was so sad....But wait! The fanfiction writers say he isn't really dead--yay! This is lovely! I like that Shelob is using patterns which have been handed down in her family (just as human weavers have always done). She sounds like quite the craftswoman--admiring how the form of her work follows its function. It is perfect for the purpose it serves... But she is also an artist who can appreciate the underlying motif of the patterns. And she does good work--no wonder she is annoyed at that small one who is not a man. I suppose she wouldn't have heard of hobbits, unless she was in touch with her kin up in Mirkwood. :-D Thank you so much for this, and I thought it was fascinating to see Shelob's POV. Branwyn

Hi Faramir_Boromir! I am not very talented when it comes to writing drabbles, but I wanted to give your request a try. Here it is: Waves "Do you like the sea, Boromir?" A woman asks the small baby she holds in her arms. She sets him down gently in the sand, watching in delight as he plays in the surf. The baby coos, motioning toward the sky. His mother moves nearer to him, smiling. "It is a sea gull, Boromir," she says happily, picking him up and twirling him. Sitting down again, the woman is knocked over by a small wave. The baby laughs. "Do you like waves?" his mother laughs, rocking him gently. "I love waves, as well." Cradling him, she says, "I love you." ____________ I hope that sounded decent. \

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum