Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: January 2005 Birthdays - 1

January 2005 Birthdays - 1

[post edited to include b-day list]

January 3 - Imhiriel: My birthday is on January 3rd. Tuor and Idril are two of my favourites, therefore I'd like to see a scene involving this, IMO, sadly under-written couple. For this birthday drabble I'd prefer a happy moment between the two, but a dark/sad/angsty scene will be welcomed as well.

January 7 - Jay of Lasgalen: I like the twins, Legolas, Thranduil, or any combination thereof. I prefer friendship to slash. I'll be 45 !!! so a mention of that number would be great.

January 9 - Isil Elensar: I'm turning 30 in 2005. WOOHOO! I would love a drabble involving 30 year old elveses, menses (uhhh... yeah), and hobbitses. Pick either, I don't have a preference. Make it happy, or a warm fuzzy.

January 13 - Altariel: My birthday is January 13th. I would love drabbles about the palantíri: any time, any place, any one of them (or all). Otherwise, you won't go wrong with some F/E 'shipper joy.

January 26 - Makamu: I would love to read a fic about uhm let me think...Eowyn and Arwen. Gen would be prefered in this case though femslash is okay as well.

Isil's original post:

Yeah, I'm getting antsy... LOL! I absolutely love my birthday! Anyhow...

I'm turning 30 in 2005. WOOHOO! I would love a drabble involving 30 year old elveses, menses (uhhh... yeah), and hobbitses. Pick either, I don't have a preference. Make it happy, or a warm fuzzy.

Thanks!
Isil Elensar
happy to be turning 30!

Re: January 2005 Birthdays

There you are everyone - Isil has given you advance notice, so you have 3 whole months to get those pens of yours to paper! cheers, nrink

Well, there's nothing like getting in early - my birthday is January 7th. I like the twins, Legolas, Thranduil, or any combination thereof. I prefer friendship to slash. I'll be 45 !!! so a mention of that number would be great. Thanks, Jay

My birthday is January 26th and I would love to read a fic about uhm let me think...Eowyn and Arwen. Gen would be prefered in this case though femslash is okay as well Thank you Makamu

LOL! I've always kind of seen my birthday as my own personal holiday. It's far enough away from Christmas, that I was able to get gifts for both when I was younger. ;-) I've started my birthday countdowns as far as 6 months in advance... LOL! Yeah, I'm weird that way...

I forgot... my birthday is January 9th! Two days after Jay, 4 days before OB...

My birthday is January 13th. I would love drabbles about the palantíri: any time, any place, any one of them (or all). Otherwise, you won't go wrong with some F/E 'shipper joy.

My birthday is on January 3rd. Tuor and Idril are two of my favourites, therefore I'd like to see a scene involving this, IMO, sadly under-written couple. For this birthday drabble I'd prefer a happy moment between the two, but a dark/sad/angsty scene will be welcomed as well. Imhiriel

For Imhiriel

My birthday is on January 3rd. Tuor and Idril are two of my favourites, therefore I'd like to see a scene involving this, IMO, sadly under-written couple. Sea lovers I did not understand why he named our son so, there in the White City, with only the music of fountains and waterfalls and streams. I did not know then how my husband yearned for the endless shifting sea. Leaving the boat pulled high above the tide line, they cross the white sands: my great, golden-haired love, hair bleached silver by salt spray; our small son holding his hand, a little damp in places but laughing. He breaks free of his father and comes running towards me. “Mama, we sailed for miles and papa let me steer!” Well named indeed. Happy Birthday Cheers, Liz

Re: For Isil Elensar

I would love a drabble involving 30 year old elveses, menses (uhhh... yeah), and hobbitses. A hobbit turning 30. Possibly a stretching of canon, but I don't think I actually broke anything.... Surprises Pippin tried hard not to notice Merry’s surreptitious preparations. Though still a ‘tween, he knew it was silly to get excited about a surprise birthday party. After all, he was a Knight of Gondor and a veteran of the Battle of Bywater. Besides, he had his own worries: how to find presents for everyone with the Shire in such a state. In the end, Merry’s plans almost went awry, and the best birthday present was not one Pippin had chosen. “Oh Mr Pippin,” Sam cried, when he and Frodo had ridden up at last, “you should see it! It’s flowered.” *** As far as I know, we don’t know the exact date of Pippin’s birthday. But in The Return of the King, LoTR Book 5, Ch 1, Minas Tirith, Pippin tells Bergil: ‘I am nearly twenty-nine…’ The date of the conversation is 9 March 3019 and the way it is worded suggests his birthday is probably some time between March and June. The Party Tree flowered on 6 April 1420, and I have assumed that Merry and Pippin are already living at Crickhollow by then. Happy Birthday! Cheers, Liz

Re: For Altariel

Happy birthday, Altariel, and many thanks for the great pleasure your stories have given me! The Essence of Blue The long journey from Ithilien to Dol Amroth was nearly over. They had ridden through intermittent showers in the morning, but now the sky was blue, the color of rain-washed lupines, dotted with billowing clouds. The breeze carried the first faint tang of the sea. Rounding the headland, Eowyn reined in her horse abruptly, stunned by the vista that lay before her.
So Blue
It was so blue! Living close to the earth, she had defined her world in terms of color: the grasslands of Rohan, the blinding gleam of the White Mountains, the rich dark soil of Ithilen. Yet even the deep blue mantle, symbol of an infinitely star-filled sky and a love beyond death, had not prepared her for the reality of such a hue. She felt, now, that she had never really understood what blue meant. Faramir watched her, silently, all his senses capturing the moment. The sky, the sea, the great white clouds, Eowyn’s sunkissed hair tossed by the breeze. The scent of bayberry, and wild rose, and salt air. The cries of the gulls and murmuring of the waves. She turned to him, radiant; and with joyous laughter they wheeled and raced their horses down to the beach. ~~ Photograph by Jette Swan and used with her kind permission. For the full multimedia experience of “The Essence of Blue”, including soundtrack music, click here.

Re: January 2005 - Isil Elensar

January 9 - Isil Elensar: I'm turning 30 in 2005. WOOHOO! I would love a drabble involving 30 year old elveses, menses (uhhh... yeah), and hobbitses. Pick either, I don't have a preference. Make it happy, or a warm fuzzy. Thirty year old elves? Thirty year old elves! They're still children at 30! Hmmm... Happy Birthday, Isil! (and Jay, if you want to share, you certainly may. I tried to work "45" in here, but couldn't manage it.. I guess I'll have to keep thinking about another drabble just for you.) It’s Just a Phase - or - Thirty Is Still Quite Young. The splash was very satisfying. Their spluttering victim rose, dripping water, mud and strands of vegetation, and threatening vengeance in three languages. Elladan turned a horrified countenance towards his brother. “That’s not …” “No! It’s the King! YOU said it was…” “I did not! I said ‘someone’s coming’. YOU …” “MY fault! This was all YOUR idea.” “Was not!” “Was too!” “Was…” Wet hands grabbed the twins’ shoulders. Sheepishly, they turned contrite faces to their captor. “We thought you were...” “We’re sorry, Uncle Valandil, we never meant...” Sighing, the King shook his head. “At least run away before you argue.” Laws and Customs of the Eldar Children of Men might reach their full height while Eldar of the same age were still in body like to mortals of no more than seven years. Not until the fiftieth year did the Eldar attain the stature and shape in which their lives would afterwards endure, and for some a hundred years would pass before they were full-grown May your 31st year be wonderful! Happy Birthday! Gwynnyd

Wonderful drabble, Ann! I felt like I was there! Eowyn and Faramir riding down to the beach....mmmm. I tried the soundtrack tie-in; I couldn't get more than the first few seconds of it (not your fault, I'm no good at handling music online), but I recognized it as a very appropriate piece from the soundtrack of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (if it's not that, then I'll be embarrassed and say it's from DR. ZHIVAGO, 'cause I know I've heard it many times, and it's from one of those two movies) - very appropriate happy riding music. And I loved Gwynnyd's elf-twins drabble - boys will be boys, even 30-year-old elf-boys... RAKSHA THE DEMON

The Professor's Birthday

I know the Professor isn't exactly in a position to request birthday drabbles, but as Una pointed out over on the H-A list, JRRT would be eleventy-three today and the Tolkien Society are proposing that his worldwide fans drink a toast to him; result, the Birthday Toast Drabble Nuzgul bit me, and this seemed the most appropriate place to post it, so here you go: The Professor "Now then." Elessar surveyed the company gravely. "Are all supplied?" Gandalf inhaled whisky-fumes appreciatively; Frodo lifted his sherry-glass. "Sam?" "All right, thank-you, Strider, half-pint of Shire's best left." "Merry, Pippin - ah," as they waved overflowing cider-tankards, "helped yourselves; Legolas, wine - " "Father's cellars' finest," the Elf maintained, light glinting on Dorwinion ruby. "Gimli - enough fire-water, what-do-you-call-it-" "Vodka," the Dwarf rumbled. "Arwen suggested champagne," Aragorn added, "but for old times, I think, Ranger's Friend -" Producing a battered hip-flask, he poured. "Boromir, join me?" Boromir sniffed. "What-?" "Elrond's best brandy." The King winked. "So, a toast: The Professor!" *** Cheers all, and especially the Professor's memory, may it never fade... Azalais

Re: The Professor's Birthday

Loved it. Happy Birthday, Professor T!! Jay

Re: The Professor's Birthday

*raises glass of red wine (Sangiovese, Italy, 2003)* The Professor! *sniffle* Yours JunoMagic

Oh Ann, what a beautiful drabble! And the photograph took my breath away. Do you know where it is? The music is Lawrence of Arabia, I think (although I haven't - I'm ashamed to admit - seen the film). Thank you, very much!

Re: For Altariel - To Ann

Agreed! Lovely drabble and what a photograph! I was gasping at the blueness of the sea. Happy birthday Altariel, and have a brill 2005! I'm eagerly looking forward to more marvellous stories from you! My favourite bit of Lawrence of Arabia was the camel dash across the desert! cheers! Ness

Oh, I'm so glad you liked it! I didn't set out to do a multimedia project, but once finished with the drabble I came across the photograph, and then the music, and it all seemed like an opportunity too good to pass up. The photo is of an area north of San Francisco; I believe it is of a state park there. I was just wandering around a photo site and when I saw it, and my immediate reaction was, "That's perfect!" Yes, the music is from "Lawrence of Arabia" - a bit of it I heard just before the holidays reminded me of how beautiful it was, so I quickly added the soundtrack to my wish list. I haven't seen the film in years; must track it down and watch again soon! Raksha, I noticed when testing the music link herethat at one spot it did pause for several seconds, then start up again; so if that was your experience perhaps you might want to try again. Nrink, thanks for your kind words! This was such a satisfying project; I'm very glad to hear that it all came across as I had hoped. Ann

It's a lovely piece, Ann. My online media player almost always does the startup/stop thing, only never gets back on track... The LAWRENCE OF ARABIA soundtrack is wonderful! So is DR. ZHIVAGO - and I find a great Faramir theme in the main title theme (not the famous Lara theme, rather the bleak opening notes that swell to the bittersweet main title). Altariel - you haven't seen LAWRENCE OF ARABIA???!!! Missed out on over two hours spotlighting the gorgeousness of young Peter O'Toole and Omar Sharif? And oh yes, a spectacular story too, not to mention lots of camels, Alec Guiness, Anthony Quinn, etc., and no women to distract from the masculine beauty? Interesting trivia bit about LAWRENCE OF ARABIA - Peter O'Toole was a distant cousin of the real T.E. Lawrence (who was somewhat shorter and more shy, though also fair-haired). Sorry to go off-topic. Loved Azalais' piece on the Fellowship toasting the Professor with various vintages. And Tanaqui - great drabble with the Party Tree flowering for Pippin's birthday! RAKSHA THE DEMON

Happy Belated Birthday, Imhiriel!

Hope you had a nice day yesterday :-) Here's Tuor and Idril for you (I don't have my Silm copy with me, so I hope it's coming historically accurate) Cheers, Starlight *** Three Men From her window she watches as three of her favorite men play on the shores. The eldest–her warrior- helps the youngest –her sailor- make a sand-boat. The middle-one –her lore-master- looks thoughtfully out at the sea, skipping the occasional pebble. ‘Why doesn’t Ada let me steer his boat?’ the sailor asks. ‘Well, why would you want to? Your ship here is far nicer than Earendil’s.’ Her scholar turns, brow furrowed. ‘The only reason why Elros cannot steer the ship is he doesn’t know his stars yet-’ Her warrior laughs, hard, and Idril is thrilled. The world is beautiful still.

Altariel - you haven't seen LAWRENCE OF ARABIA???!!! Just one of the many gaping holes in my knowledge, like never having read Hamlet (I have seen a couple of film versions of that though ). I even have Lawrence of Arabia on DVD here.

Re: For Altariel - To Ann

Happy birthday Altariel, and have a brill 2005! Thank you! And hopefully, now that I've got a bit more free time, I can manage to produce some fiction soon!

The photo is of an area north of San Francisco Another reason for me to visit San Francisco. Thank you for taking so much trouble to put all these beautiful pieces together.

My guess is that the picture is of the Marin Headlands (across the Golden Gate Bridge, north of San Francisco) in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area (or Wildlife Area, can't remember the formal name at the moment...). I highly recommend visiting the area, it is spectacularly beautiful... and the picture illustrates a perfectly lovely drabble! - Barbara

Directed here by my dear friend Isil Elensar... I at least want to write 2 drabbles, the rest of the people on the list I do not know. So stay tuned ;)

Re: For Imhiriel

Sea Lovers Very nice Liz! Sweet little moment captured perfectly. Cheers, Vistula

Surprises I really enjoyed this one Liz! You know how much I love those hobbits!! (And I don't think it's stretching canon that much at all...) Cheers, Vistula

The Essence of Blue Thank you so much for the multimedia drabble. It was marvelous. I agree with the other comments here in saying that this would definitely be a place I could enjoy visiting! Living close to the earth, she had defined her world in terms of color: ....She felt, now, that she had never really understood what blue meant. I REALLY loved this part. It hit close to my heart since I too tend to define my world in colors. Very well done. Cheers! Vistula

It’s Just a Phase - or - Thirty Is Still Quite Young. I commented on the HA list about this one but just wanted to tell you again, Gwynnyd, how much I enjoyed it. Vistula

Re: Happy Belated Birthday, Imhiriel!

Three Men Another sweet moment...I love these little "slice of life" images. Thank you Starlight for sharing it! Cheers, Vistula

Vistula, You are *so* good at reviewing! You manage to read and review every single piece, almost right away, and encourage us all along. Thank you so much! Starlight

I'll be turning 24 on January 12th. I'm pretty easy to please as I'm a big fan of anything F/E-shipping. Elves are good too, especially if it involves the elves of the Grey Havens or the twins. Oooh...or something out of Dol Amroth...eek...can't decide. Surprise me

For Jay of Lasgalen

Well, there's nothing like getting in early - my birthday is January 7th. I like the twins, Legolas, Thranduil, or any combination thereof. I prefer friendship to slash. I'll be 45 !!! so a mention of that number would be great. Drawings The scribbling sound of pencils was audible in the library. On the left sat Elladan, his eyes bound to the book in his hands. On the right sat Elrohir who was copying information from a scroll. Little Arwen sat in the middle, her attention fully focussed on the paper in front of her, pencils clutched in her hands. “What are you drawing Ar?” Elrohir asked after a while and leaned over to have a look. “But that is Jay of Lasgalen!” Arwen said nothing and gave Elrohir the drawing before she left the room; her face graced with a smile. *** Happy Birthday Jay! Rhapsody

Re: January 2005 Birthdays - Jay

Jay of Lasgalen: I like the twins, Legolas, Thranduil, or any combination thereof. I prefer friendship to slash. I'll be 45 !!! so a mention of that number would be great. How could I not write a twins drabble for the author I consider to be the twins' number one fan? Happy birthday, my friend! LKK Tradition One likeness in two bodies faced the archery targets. Draw. Aim. Loose. "Forty-four." Draw. Aim. Loose. "Forty-five." Draw. Loose. "Forty-. Hold. You missed the center. I win. You erred intentionally," he accused. "Do not be absurd, brother. Have I ever given a contest to you?" "Not that I recall." Thus tradition is honored. One brother wins this Begetting Day competition. The other wins next year's. Neither acknowledges anything more than accident. Thus they have celebrated for centuries. One likeness in two bodies faced each other. Two voices spoke as one. "May the Valar bless you on this special day, El."

Some drabble feedback: Gwynnyd: That made me laugh. Now if only we could get away with being children at 30... Azalais: Perfect drinks for each of the Fellowship Rhapsody: That's great. I'm sure Elrohir treasures his drawing of Jay LKK: I'm impressed at you getting 45 in. That does sound like something the twins would do as well. Nic

Happy Birthday Jay and Malinear

Jay asked for the twins, and Malinear mentioned them, so this is for both of you. Twins Forever I feel so alone. The house seems empty now that mother has left. I miss her. I still need her. I cannot stay here, there are too many people. My brother feels the same way. We made a pact to avenge her suffering; to ensure no others have to endure what she did. It gives us the perfect excuse to leave. We prepare our horses in silence for there is no need for words. We will not allow our family to be split apart any more, so we journey together. My brother is with me; I am never alone. Nic

Re: For Jay of Lasgalen

Rhapsody, thank you! I love this picture of the children of Elrond together in the library - and that Elrohir has a picture of me! I liked the way he shorted her name to Ar, as well. Thank you for a great start to my birthday! Jay

LKK wrote: 'How could I not write a twins drabble for the author I consider to be the twins' number one fan? ' Thanks - I consider myself their number one fan as well! This contest between the twins was great - I like the way they take it in turns to win, but never acknowledge the fact. And you got my age of 45 in as well - I'm not sure if I should acknowledge that fact, either. Thank you for a lovely birthday gift! Jay

Re: Happy Birthday Jay and Malinear

Thank you, Nic. This has such a sad feel as the twins set off on their trail of vengeance. I particularly liked the contrast of the first and last lines: I feel so alone. and My brother is with me; I am never alone. The last part sums up the twins so well as I see them. Thank you. Jay

January 7 - Jay of Lasgalen: I like the twins, Legolas, Thranduil, or any combination thereof. I prefer friendship to slash. I'll be 45 !!! so a mention of that number would be great. Happy birthday Jay! I hope it was a wonderful one!! You wanted a Legolas drabble so here's one from his POV. Cheers, Vistula ~~~~ Blood Brothers “Forget it! You don’t understand…” You’d been a boy then on the cusp of manhood, and I already your senior by many centuries. The ritual was simple but barbaric, the meaning unclear. “I do not see how mingling our blood will change things, mellon-nin.” “I said forget it.” Many long roads we have walked together since. You never again spoke of that moment though I know it burned your heart for many days. Your silence grieved me. I never meant to hurt you. But now, as your warrior’s blood slips between my fingers and touches my heart, I finally understand.

Thank you Starlight I enjoy both giving and receiving feedback and there are so many wonderful drabble masters out there...how can I not respond. Vistula

Oooohhh Rhapsody, this is awfully sweet! What a lovely picture of all the children of Elrond. Thank you for sharing! Vistula

Hello LKK! Tradition is wonderful. I Love the beginning and end lines of One likeness in two bodies ... and closing with the concept of Two voices spoke as one. really drove home the connection between the two. I've always loved the twins! Thank you for a lovely drabble - even if it isn't mine! Vistula

Hello Nic, Thank you for writing a very touching moment between the twins. I'm glad you gave us the comfort of knowing that the two of them though bereft of their mother are not truly alone. Cheers! Vistula

Hello Malinear! Happy early birthday to you!! You're easy to please and suggested a little Faramir/Eowyn so I hope you enjoy! Cheers! Vistula ~~~~~ Watches of the Night I will not weep. Sewing rests forgotten in her lap. A candle sputters, dims, dies. If she notices, she doesn’t care. In silence, she envisions him, riding out that morning beneath banners floating high in the crisp autumn air. He’d rested tall in the saddle, as much an image of kingly splendor as the untried King riding at his side. She wonders how, once, she could have considered this other lord fair. Could she not now see that her husband was to him like the sun is to the stars? She smiles – lights the lamp. I need weep no longer.

Watches in the Night Oppps! Didn't mean for that to be mature content. Sorry to get anyone's hopes up! Vistula

Vistula, thank you! I always liked parts in the films that suggested Legolas and Aragorn had been friends for a long time - it seemed right, somehow. This is a great interpretation of that friendship, and I love the line about Aragorn's blood touching his heart. Jay

Blood Brothers[...] I really liked this, Vistula. There is something about Legolas... I don't know how to say it best, but I think you gave us a very nice, deep insight with this (and I know this is an unusual line to pick as a favorite, but I think it is so Legolas!): The ritual was simple but barbaric, the meaning unclear. Thanks for sharing. Starlight

Blood Brothers Vistula, this was beautiful! Thank you for sharing it. Thanks also for your feedback on my drabbles. I thought you might like the hobbit one. :-) (I hope, like me, you envisgaed Sam bubbling over with the news even before he says hello or happy birthday to Pippin.) Cheers, Liz

Happy Birthday Isil!

I'm turning 30 in 2005. WOOHOO! I would love a drabble involving 30 year old elveses, menses (uhhh... yeah), and hobbitses. Pick either, I don't have a preference. Make it happy, or a warm fuzzy. On Sunday you will get a special written story in your inbox, but for now the drabble you wanted.... Heartbound He had seen her before. He did not know when and how, but at the very moment she passed by he knew it. He watched how she walked away, her blonde hair bound in a ponytail, her fine posture that yet showed so much strength. He did not hesitate and followed her while she walked amongst the Elves. He just needed to know. After a while he noticed that she knew he had followed her. 'And what then Orophin of Lorien?' He berated himself. But before he knew she turned around and their eyes met. His heart was lost. Forever. Big hug & , Rhapsody

No problem Jay. I am glad you liked it! Just a small trivia.. this happened to be my very first drabble ever written. I hope you have a wonderful day!!!

Your first drabble? That makes it even better! I'm honoured. Jay

Thanks for the feedback, Jay and Vistula. I'm glad you liked it. Nic

Re: For Imhiriel

Sea lovers Thank you sooo much, Liz, for this beautiful drabble. Love the way you explain the name, in what way it was important for Tuor. The scene is so very vivid, I can really picture this father with his young son, the wind and the sun on them, both running towards the mother. Imhiriel

New thread

Please add all new drabbles and comments to the take 2 thread. RiverOtter

It’s Just a Phase - or - Thirty Is Still Quite Young. Nice twist in the story there! It's so unusual to have a Man who is actually older than an Elf. And nice little glimpse of Isildur's heirs living in Rivendell. Imhiriel

[edit: double posting]

Thanks Liz! A wonderful hobbity drabble! And a flowering party tree! Warm fuzzlies again! Thank you! Isil

Nic, You rock. It's nice to see a more serious side to the twins now and again. Thanks! -Kit

Vistula, Bless you! I know I'm easy to please, that just means that so much more makes me happy! And this makes me very happy! I love how you've depicted Faramir in Eowyn's mind and his contrast to Aragorn. Not easy to do in so few words, yet you've gotten it down pat. Thank you for the early birthday present! -Kit

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum