Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: June 2004 Birthdays - 1

June 2004 Birthdays - 1

Is this your month? Then post your theme here, we'll be watching for it!

June 2- Gwynnyd: I like pre-War Aragorn a lot. And Pippin; there's so much more to Pippin than a bumbling clown. Liz and Marta have me hooked on Faramir. And Trish keeps feeding me Legolas. Any of those alone or in combination would be lovely. I, I, I like it all! How can I choose?

*New* June 5 - Ti'ana Luthien: I'd like something happy with Boromir and Faramir together. Any period of time is fine but no slash please.

June 7 - Avon: I'd absolutely love Legolas and Aragorn friendship (not romance) but for those who find that too much of a stretch I could enjoy almost any Legolas - or Faramir and Boromir.

June 7 - Nickey: My birthday is June 7th as well, and I'd like anything hobbity, if I may? Merry in particular, I never think he gets enough attention

June 13 - Lady Aranel: Legolas, Legolas, Legolas.... mmmm... Legolas. No slash please! Het. smut, non-smut, OFC all welcome.

June 26 - Rainsong: I like Celebrian and Miriel.

Re: June 2004 Babies

Me! Me! Pick me! June 13 Legolas, Legolas, Legolas.... mmmm... Legolas. No slash please! Het. smut, non-smut, OFC all welcome. ~Lady Aranel~

I like pre-War Aragorn a lot. And Pippin; there's so much more to Pippin than a bumbling clown. Liz and Marta have me hooked on Faramir. And Trish keeps feeding me Legolas. Any of those alone or in combination would be lovely. I, I, I like it all! How can I choose? My birthday is June 2nd but I'll be flying down to the Mythic Journeys Conference that day and probably won't have anything but randomly intermittent e-mail access until the 7th. I couldn't even properly acknowledge a drabble written for me on the 2nd. If you are in Atlanta for Mythic Journeys look for me under the Dorsai Irregular beret with the hole in the top where my long red hair sticks through. I'm working all week as part of the security team for the conference. Gwynnyd aka Carol Lynn, DI

My turn! *Bounces* I'm on the 7th of June and I'd like Legolas. I'd absolutely love Legolas and Aragorn friendship (not romance) but for those who find that too much of a stretch I could enjoy almost any Legolas - or Faramir and Boromir. Thank you, Avon

OK, let's see if I have this right. Lady Aranel wants Legolas. Gwynnyd wants pre-war Aragorn and Legolas. Avon wants Legolas and Aragorn friendship. No slash. Can I do it? Can I combine all three? See what you think! There's love, friendship, and a little angst. (The speaker is Legolas, in case it's not clear.) 'Love' You need not fear me, my friend. Her heart is not mine to hold – I love your Evenstar, it is true, as she loves me, but ours is the love of true friendship, of perils endured together, of laughter shared – the same love I bear for you. Arwen loves you, Aragorn. I know she loved you from the moment you first met, walking among the birches of Imladris at dusk. She loves you with all the passion of her spirit. She loves you enough to forsake her immortal life. And I love you both. I wish you well, my friends. Jay (Yay!! I just edited this with hypertext tags to make the title bold!!) Sorry. Excuse the enthusiasm.

Gwynnyd wants pre-war Aragorn and Legolas. ...Can I do it? Can I combine all three? See what you think! Wow! You did it for me. That was lovely. Thank you sooo much! Gwynnyd

Oh that's wonderful, Jay! Thank you so much. It is a very Legolas-centric month so far, isn't it? ;-) Avon

That's a bad thing?? Jay

That's a bad thing?? Well, no - not from where I'm sitting but I can imagine some frustrated drabblists out there ;-) Avon

Can I do it? Can I combine all three? See what you think! *hugs drabble to her chest* Oh yes! Beautiful! Thank you! ~Lady Aranel~

I'd absolutely love Legolas and Aragorn friendship (not romance) but for those who find that too much of a stretch I could enjoy almost any Legolas - or Faramir and Boromir. How about Legolas and Aragorn Friendship and Boromir? At last Legolas turned, and seeing them now far behind, he spoke to Aragorn. The others halted, and Aragorn ran back, calling to Boromir to come with him. Ties That Bind “They are injured,” Legolas said, “and sore of heart.” Aragon clasped the elf’s shoulder. “Aye, you are right. We shall have to bear them.” The archer bowed his head. “Legolas?” Aragorn questioned. “Are you hurt?” He met the ranger’s gaze; bright eyes brimming with unshed tears. “I fear my heart too heavy for my steps to bear it hence, yet go we must,” his once lilting voice was full of pain. “He was not supposed to fall.” “He would beg us not to grieve, but go on and bring the rest to safety.” The elf nodded. Aragorn turned away. “Boromir!” edit: I wrote this in a bit of haste this morning and when driving realized I had a better title. Also, forgot to say: Happy Birthday, Gwynnyd and Avon!

Am I posting this too soon? My birthday is on June 26th, and I know that's pretty far away. I like Celebrian and Miriel.

(Screwing up my courage; I’ve never done this before. I apologize if it is not formatted properly.) An early birthday present for Gwynnyd, LadyAranel and Avon…a Legolas – Boromir friendship drabble. -Dinromeniel, lurker extraordinaire. ******* Unrest The firelight beckons, a brave beacon in the wilderness. But the warmth does not reach where I prowl beneath the trees; and I would not disturb my companions, taking their ease in its glow. “Do you wonder, son of Gondor, that we can sit idle, while your home is besieged by Shadow?” Legolas asks softly, suddenly at my side. “We must keep our thoughts to our purpose. Hold fast, my friend.” The weariness behind his gentle smile shatters something within me, and, unbidden, I reach out to grasp his shoulder. For the first time, I feel akin to the Elf. ******* (Edited as per Tanaqui's advice. Thank you Tanaqui!)

Gwynnyd said (amongst many other things) I like pre-War Aragorn a lot. And there's a lot of pre-War Aragorn to choose from! Hope you like this snippet (and it's early because I know you are travelling around your birthday). Wandering in the Wild Another night of hard cold. No breath of wind. On evenings such as these, he builds the fire and watches bright Eärendil sail westward. He prefers the cold to the wet. The worst are the spring rains, when icy fingers find their way into all his gear and it seems he will never be dry. The stars are clouded then. On autumn nights, they come and go in the scurrying wrack, uncertain, unsettled, and he fears the lazy wind of the morrow. Yet whatever the weather, always he is warmed by memories of a night of midsummer, and his Evenstar. Happy Birthday Cheers, Liz (PS: you may well get Faramr-and-Pippin as well, since I'm having so much fun drabbling them. And you can share in Legolas when I get around to him for Lady Aranel.)

And there's a lot of pre-War Aragorn to choose from! Hope you like this snippet (and it's early because I know you are travelling around your birthday). Liz! that's wonderful! Did you remember that I used the 'will be too wet and cold in the Spring' line in one of my stories, or was that serendipty too? In any case, I love it. Thank you! Gwynnyd

age (Screwing up my courage; I’ve never done this before. I apologize if it is not formatted properly.) I'm honored that your first drabble was written at my request. Thank you. You've captured a beautiful moment. Gwynnyd

Hi Gwynnyd - so glad you liked it! Did you remember that I used the 'will be too wet and cold in the Spring' line in one of my stories, or was that serendipty too? Not conciously - but you know my subconscious is by far the smartest part of me! So I probably "borrowed" it without realising. Happy Birthday again Cheers, Liz

Well, it seems drabble muse has got a good grip on me this afternoon. Lots of people asked for Legolas, but this is particularly for Lady Aranel in thanks for our many long discussions about Legolas which finally made me understand the emotional journey he takes in LotR (and made me like him a lot more). Cruel Caradhras I did not feel the cold of the snows, nor fear the voices in the wind. My heart was as light as my feet when I went to find the Sun. How could I know that the brightness I truly loved lived in those stout bodies and brave hearts, struggling with the elements of Arda? I thought I loved the woods and the waters, yet it was not the trees nor the singing streams that made me fight the call of the sea. I feel the chill of their departing and I fear the spaces where their voices will be. Happy Biirthday Lady Aranel, Gwynnyd and Avon. Cheers, Liz

You’re very welcome. I enjoyed writing it…my first dip in the HASA pool. Oops Alert! I just realized that the speaker in the third paragraph can be taken to be either Boromir or Legolas. To clarify, it is Legolas who is speaking, trying to offer support (however hollow) to Boromir, rather than the other way round. *mutter, mutter, no beta, mutter* -Dinromeniel

my first dip in the HASA pool. Congratulations - and a very lovely dip it was too! Oops Alert! I just realized that the speaker in the third paragraph can be taken to be either Boromir or Legolas. To clarify, it is Legolas who is speaking, trying to offer support (however hollow) to Boromir, rather than the other way round. I think you could solve this simply by editing it to run the second bit of dialogue on at the end of the previous paragraph and then making the paragraph break at between that and The weariness...? Cheers, Liz PS: when I'm not beating off my own drabble muse, I also masquerade as HASA Welcome and Beta Manager - please feel free to contact me through the forums or contact forms if you have any questions about any aspects of the site.

I feel the chill of their departing and I fear the spaces where their voices will be. *hugs Liz* it's beautiful! Thank you! ~Lady Aranel~

I feel like a hobbit - all these wonderful gifts coming my way when it's someone else's birthday! Happy UnBirthday to all. (Sorry - just had an Alice in Wonderland themed book week at school.) Jay

Gwynnyd wrote: And Pippin; there's so much more to Pippin than a bumbling clown. Liz and Marta have me hooked on Faramir..... How can I choose? Seems my drabble muse says you don't have to! (But I'd like it if she could please shut up now for a bit.) Glad Marta and I have convinced you of Faramir's merits. And of course there's more to Pippin than a bumbling clown - he saves my favourite raven-haired angsty ranger from a toasting for a start . Happy Birthday (again!) A prince among Halflings It is the coronation of my King, but we also honour the Halflings. Two who saved all Middle-earth. And two who saved that dearest to me alone. Merry comes cheerfully to greet us. His cousin holds back; we are both a little shy. When last we met, I did not know what had befallen, nor the part he played. “Peregrin, son of Paladin,” my voice seems as stiff as my bow, “you have served Gondor well and her Steward thanks you.” Yet more is needed. I kneel so our faces are level. “Pippin,” I take his hands, “I thank you.” Cheers, Liz

Ooh, thank you, Lady Aranel! That's very nice. It's amzing what you manage to pack into a drabble. Avon *happy Legolas fangirl* ;-)

Re: Thank you, Dinromeniel

Clearly you should lurk less and drabble more - that's lovely! It still amazes me what people can capture in 100 words. I love that that is the first real moment of connection between Boromir and this being who is so alien to him. I particularly love: "The firelight beckons, a brave beacon in the wilderness. But the warmth does not reach where I prowl beneath the trees; and I would not disturb my companions, taking their ease in its glow." It makes a real picture in my mind and I'm a pciture person ;-) (As long as they are made with words) Avon

Thank you, Liz

Thank you for letting me share Lady Aranel's birthday pressie. It's very nice - both sweet and sad. I particularly liked I thought I loved the woods and the waters, yet it was not the trees nor the singing streams that made me fight the call of the sea. - summed the whole thing up in such a few words. Avon

I offer the following as both (another) birthday drabble for Gwynnyd (who requested either Faramir or Pippin) and a thank you present for Tanaqui, whose moving Faramir-Pippin drabble ‘A Prince Among Halflings’ inspired me. ******* Tidings The letter was somehow mixed in with Ithilien’s official correspondence; a single sheet of parchment, penned in the impatient hand of one Peregrin Took. An unexpected pleasure, this. Pippin, I have discovered, is a kindred soul who shares my great delight in unearthing and preserving knowledge, however obscure. Or dusty. Eowyn calls us a matched pair. ‘…a fine lad, that we have named Faramir…’ More was written, but my vision blurred, and I was caught by a rush of warmth that surged through my chest and tightened my throat. Perhaps my lady wife would enjoy a visit to the Shire? ******* -Dinromeniel (The drabble muse has descended on me! I never realized what a wonderful way this was to try out one’s writing skills. I’m never gonna get any work done today, at this rate. Let’s see, who’s next…)

Re: Thank you, Dinromeniel

Avon, What kind words! I'm glad you liked it, and that you 'got' exactly what I was trying to convey. -Dinromeniel, fledgling drabbler

Dinromeniel - I am honoured my Faramir-Pippin drabble inspired you to produce such a wonderful drabble! Thank you so much for sharing it. (But do beware of the drabble muse, she is very dangerous!) Also glad my suggestions for editing "Unrest" were helpful. Cheers, Liz

It seems a bit like cheating when three people ask for Legolas . This is a Legolas drabble and almost involves Faramir as well. It probably overlaps Gwynnyd's, Avon's and Lady Aranel's requests. Catch as catch can, ladies! In a Garden in Ithilien There is the little prince. He has been to visit the tallest beech, and he is curled asleep beneath it. Fond child, to sleep in the afternoon sun – but the grandsire tree has screened his bed as if he were one of the flowers of our planting. I kneel. "Elboron – " No; I shall not move him hence. I look up into the spire of leaves that is soaked in faded golden light. "I entreat you, my lord: love these Men with all your strength, for it will never be in their power to love you as do we." Gemma

Rainsong- I have added your request to the top of the list. Sorry it took me a few days to get it added! I've been sick and so not as on top of things as I should be. And I think you suggested a potential challenge about dark lords not being beaten? It's a good idea. I've seen it but haven't been able to reply to it yet. But I just wanted to let you know that I have seen it and will get to it. Again, my apologies. Marta

Happy early birthday, Gwynnyd!

This is early but seeing as how you will be away for your birthday... The Task of my Kindred. The road is long and dark and the wind blows cold. He wraps his ragged cloak around him as he trudges past candle-lit windows and smoke-drifting chimneys. Now and then, a dog barks uneasily at his presence or a horse whickers restlessly. In fitful patches of moonlight, he catches glimpses of a sturdily built henhouse or a neat vegetable garden and remembers another scattering of small cottages, far up in the north - a place of his kin where he is welcomed at gate and door. With grim smile he rests his hand on a broken sword and strides on. Avon

That's okay, and thanks for adding it to the list!

I kneel so our faces are level. “Pippin,” I take his hands, “I thank you.” I love this image. Wonderful! Thanks, Liz!

Re: Happy early birthday, Gwynnyd!

This is early but seeing as how you will be away for your birthday... The Task of my Kindred. Oh, that's wonderful! Exactly how I picture him; alone but not lonely, because he does have a place he belongs. Thank you so very much! Gwynnyd

Liz: Thank you so much for my presents! The Legolas drabble was bittersweet enough to bring tears. What he finds he truly loves is so both so ephemeral and so enduring. You captured it very elegantly. And the Pippin and Faramir is so right! Do you mind that I see David Wenham's slightly quirky smile when I read that scene? I never had a clear vision of what Faramir looked like, so wrong as I know the coloring is (and I'm still snarking about the hair), I have taken the movie!Faramir to heart for facial expressions. I can see the scene so clearly. I loved it and thank you. Gwynnyd

I offer the following as both (another) birthday drabble for Gwynnyd (who requested either Faramir or Pippin) and a thank you present for Tanaqui, whose moving Faramir-Pippin drabble ‘A Prince Among Halflings’ inspired me. Squee! I am so happy. Thank you so much. That's Pippin as I see him, carefree but not stupid. I feel I'm getting a double benefit. I have both the drabbles and the smug grin of someone who sees another writer hooked. Welcome to the club. Gwynnyd

Lady Aranel - glad you liked Faramir and Pippin (I really am corrupting you, aren't I?) Gwynnyd, Avon - you should really thank Lady Aranel for helping me finally understand and like the Elf. Yes, you're right, it's the tension between the eternal and the ephemeral and how much more precious the ephemeral is because it's ephemeral. Do you mind that I see David Wenham's slightly quirky smile when I read that scene? I never had a clear vision of what Faramir looked like, so wrong as I know the coloring is (and I'm still snarking about the hair), I have taken the movie!Faramir to heart for facial expressions. Not at all - while movie!Faramir is completely wrong looks-wise, DW gives a wonderful performance and my private mental image of Faramir now has a number of his gestures, including that smile So yes, I can really see that in the scene. Cheers, Liz

My birthday is June 7th as well, and I'd like anything hobbity, if I may? Merry in particular, I never think he gets enough attention Nickey

Done, Nickey! If anyone else has requested a drabble and it hasn't made its way into the list at the top of this thread, please let me know. Marta

Happy Slightly Early Birthday Gwynnyd! Have a great day and a great trip. Joining the Company When the days darkened towards midwinter, and the weather grew foul, The Pony’s common-room was the only place to be. Somewhat bemused, Aragorn found it could even be good, as a mug of Barley’s best appeared, unasked for, at his elbow. He studied the ring of expectant faces, softened by ale and firelight. “Come on Strider! Give us another!” For once the shouts were friendly, suspicion forgotten in the strange magic of his tales. Slowly, deliberately he sampled his beer, biding his time. Then, when he judged the moment right, he cast his spell again and a breathless silence reigned. Cheers, Alawa

I loved that idea of Aragorn entertaining the crowd at the Prancing Pony, alawa. Nic

Joining the Company

I liked that a lot, Alawa - awfully nice to see poor Aragorn actually getting to have some fun ;-) Avon

Young Aragorn, for Gwynnyd - happy birthday and conference Tokens Still deliberating Elrond's tale of bloodlines and kingdoms, he rises in the night to look again at those things with which he has been gifted. These are the appointed tokens of his manhood. He sees a shattered blade that should have been taken for its metal long since. A ring that remembers an alliance of dead men. A claim to a throne already occupied, passed from father to son like some useless curio: a bankrupt coat of arms, an empty sheath. He wonders if such antiquities will ever gain new meaning, and senses that it will only be in violence. Gemma

Well, one of my muses came back in the middle of a two-hour long butt-numbing meeting I just had, so I came up with these two drabbles. They're not my usual happy stuff, since he came back all angsty. Sorry for the downer bday drabbles, but I think they kind of cover Gwynnyd's, Avon's and Lady Aranel's wishes. I will try again for better ones later in the month if my muse is in a better mood. Gone He is gone. The pain stings my heart much like the cries of the gulls pierce my soul. A hand grasps my arm in an attempt at comfort and an expression of shared grief. I turn and look at my friend with new eyes. My last mortal friend. How long until he is taken from me as well? Why must my friends go where I may not follow? Alas for the curse of my people that I must watch while all I hold dear fades away. He is gone, and with him a part of me is lost as well. Taken A son of Gondor, a noble man whose loyalty to his people is second to nothing. My brother in arms, he made me realize the strength left in men; there is courage yet. I know now, when I fight for this world, til my last breath, I won't be alone. He fell too soon. His blade sang that day, but we were overcome. The enemy has claimed another fine warrior; a son, a brother, now never to be a father. His death will not be in vain; our city will not fall and the strength of men will not fail. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If it is not clear (which it may not be) the first is from Legolas's POV, the second from Aragorn's. Happy Birthday! I will try to do better next time!

Hi Rainsong, Do you mean Miriel as in the mother of Feanor, or Miriel as in Tar-Miriel of Numenor? (Or am I mixing up two different people with similar names?) Cheers! -Dinromeniel

He wonders if such antiquities will ever gain new meaning, and senses that it will only be in violence. And how much do I and Aragorn wish there was another way. Nic

RE: June 2004 Babies

Content deleted by poster

Re: June 2004 Babies - Lady Aranel

June 13 - Lady Aranel: Legolas, Legolas, Legolas.... mmmm... Legolas. No slash please! Het. smut, non-smut, OFC all welcome. Plane rides are a lovesome thing. Here just for you, Trish, and anyone else who likes Legolas, a double drabble. I could NOT get this thought in 100 words! Hope you do not mind it being twice as long. In Thranduil’s Halls Home? He ran lightly through the branches and they, old friends all, welcomed him back with soft rustlings. He had known Fangorn and the song of sleep he sang stilled their voices to rest once more. Landing lightly on his balcony, the familiar trappings of the room with rock-hewn walls tugged him inside. He turned his back to their embrace and moved to his accustomed place looking out over Greenwood in the sun. Trees rolled away to the unshadowed south and birds called a welcome to the wandering son returned at last. Gripping the wrought stone ledge, his hands felt the stone both rough and smooth under his fingers. Startled, he looked down. He did not remember the feel of grit that chafed at his fingers. Dancing lightly, his hands found the shape of themselves. A child of this age, he was not old as the Eldar counted old. Trees grew and died but the rock of Arda should endure. Yet his hands’ touch had worn down the very stone of the mountain. Could anything to hold him here? The sea called. The flame of Aragorn and the rock of Gimli held him fast. He would stay awhile for friendship. Have a very happy early birthday, Trish! Gwynnyd

Mmm, very nice - I love that Legolas is so glad to be home. And there's a very nice line 'the rock of Gimli held him fast'. I like the image of Gimli as his anchor. Jay

Previous Message Mmm, very nice - I love that Legolas is so glad to be home. Drat, that didn't work then. I was trying to show that Legolas was so changed by his travels that some things he did absolutely unconsciously were subtly 'wrong'. He had gone to what he thought was the same place on he balcony, but it was just a little farther over than he used to stand. He became aware that everything in Arda is ephemeral, even the rock because the touch of his hands had worn the rock balcony smooth over the years. Home wasn't 'home' anymore, and there was nothing that kept him here except the friendships he had made. Ah well. Hope it's OK anyway, Trish. Gwynnyd (off duty for a few hours...)

Oh. Well, I still like it! Jay

Ah well. Hope it's OK anyway, Trish. Okay? Okay? It's beautiful, wonderful and I love it!! Thank you so much. And, yes, I understood and appreciated the deeper significance!

I loved that idea of Aragorn entertaining the crowd at the Prancing Pony, Thanks Nic! I reckon any budding Elessar needs to learn how to hold a crowd. Alawa

Re: Joining the Company

I liked that a lot, Alawa - awfully nice to see poor Aragorn actually getting to have some fun ;-) Glad you enjoyed it Avon!. I adore Aragorn angst but find it surprisingly hard to torture him myself I think one of his strengths is that he knows how to make the most of the good times that do come his way. Alawa

Here's one for you Avon. Fellow Travellers Aragorn found his new travelling companion under the stars. “We had no chance to speak, after the Council, but please forgive my harsh words - I was taken by surprise.” Legolas bowed, gracefully, remorsefully. “The fault was entirely ours.” “I wonder. I fear I may be too close to see clearly where that miserable creature is concerned.” “Two months dangerous travel burdened with such as he. Foul-mouthed, sly, recalcitrant - and the smell! A sore trial indeed.” “Indeed, but at least you may be certain I will not bite.” Aragorn’s smile glinted in the moonlight as light-hearted laughter drifted through the trees. Cheers, Alawa P.S. I don't think I ever said how terrific I thought your Gollum/Aragorn drabble was.

I'd absolutely love Legolas and Aragorn friendship... How could I resist? Happy early birthday, Avon (if I don't post it now I know I'll forget on the day...) Sorry 'bout the angst, it just came out that way. Azalais Leavetakings "See, Aragorn, I have brought you the Sun." His smile dances with the dawn light across the white stone of my bedchamber; but he has known me too long to conceal the pain flickering behind his clear eyes. Together we risked the long dark of Moria; together we walked among the Dead. For me he rode to Pelargir and heard the gull's cry; yet for me he has resisted the Sea's call these many years. Now he will heed it at last, and in our parting that thought brings me peace. I wish you joy of the West, Legolas, mellonen.

“Indeed, but at least you may be certain I will not bite.” Snort. Alawa, you're wicked. That's lovely...

Hey all! And Happy Birthday too all you June Babies! Do you mean Miriel as in the mother of Feanor, or Miriel as in Tar-Miriel of Numenor? I second Dinromieniel's question, Rainsong. Who knows, if it's Tar-Miriel, I might be able to pull something out of my sleeve for you. -- Elle

Oh thank you, Alawa! I'm carefully saving all these so I can make myself a little birthday booklet ;-) I like all of it - but especially the ending. Cute and funny. Thanks again, Avon

Thank you, Azalias!

Oh, I have no objection at all to angst ;-) and given how much angst I have inflicted on people as birthday presents it would be the pot calling the kettle black with a vengeance if I did. ;-) I have trouble picking out a favourite part because it is all so lovely but maybe these lines: Together we risked the long dark of Moria; together we walked among the Dead. For me he rode to Pelargir and heard the gull's cry; yet for me he has resisted the Sea's call these many years. Thank again, Avon

Happy birthday, Nickey!

I had to do something for my astral twin so here's my first and possibly last Merry. It's a double drabble and I had to whack it around the chops to keep it there! Sorry it's early but I know I'll only have limited time on the 7th - I have a virtual birthday party to attend after all. ;-) Avon Responsibility “More toast?” calls Pip from his place by the fire. “No, Pip, I am fine,” I reply and smile as I watch him spread a thick layer of butter onto his eighth piece. It is rare indeed that I will turn down food - but for now I am content to watch him eat. For the first time in what seems like forever we are safe. We have a roof of sorts over our head, a fire to keep warm by and enough food to fill our bellies. Treebeard‘s Ents are on guard and our swords lie unneeded on the table. Pippin comes over and flops into the chair beside me as he swallows a last doubled-over mouthful of toast. I look at him - hair all tangled, clothes tattered and torn, black, sooty streaks across his face and hands greasy with butter and bacon fat – and blink back tears. He is warm and fed and happy, this precious small cousin of mine, after all the nights I dreamed of losing him and all the days I watched him be brave through hunger and hurt. I want to hug him but instead I say, “You do look a fright, Pip.” **************************** Avon

'Fellow Travellers' and 'Leavetakings' I love both of these - one at the beginning of their friendship, one at the end. I like Aragorn's apology - and the fact that it appears these are the first times they've met, as most fics have them friends long before the Council of Elrond. And the final line of all - 'I wish you joy of the West'. Lovely. Thank you both, even though these weren't really mine! Jay

Re: Thank you, Azalias!

I have trouble picking out a favourite part because it is all so lovely but maybe these lines: Together we risked the long dark of Moria; together we walked among the Dead. For me he rode to Pelargir and heard the gull's cry; yet for me he has resisted the Sea's call these many years. I'm glad you liked it Funnily enough that paragraph was the first one that came. I wasn't sure if I could afford the repetition in a drabble, but it's a stylistic indulgence I can rarely resist... It's often struck me that there's a rather ironic symmetry in the fact that had it not been for his loyalty to Aragorn, Legolas would never have gone near Pelargir and heard the Call of the Sea in the first place, yet it was for Aragorn that he stayed all those years. And for Gimli, of course, but it was after Aragorn's death that he left. I'm not sure that he would have had the will to stay any longer, even for Gimli (glares at Angst!Nuzgul lurking in the corner...)

Thank you both, even though these weren't really mine! That's what I like best about these birthday drabbles - we all get to share! Az

Um...is it too late to ask for a drabble? I haven't been online too much lately... Today's my birthday! I'd like something happy with Boromir and Faramir together. Any period of time is fine but no slash please. Ti'ana

Hi Dimromeniel! I'm sorry that it took so long for me to answer you. I didn't see your post until now. I meant Tar-Miriel of Numenor.

Erm.. it's a bit cheeky to bring this up here, and I won't post it in the Birthday Cards Forum coz it's not a drabble, but it was inspired by this month's birthday cards. Remember how Marta mentioned over on the H-A list that as far as birthday drabbles were concerned this was clearly International Legolas Month, and challenged someone to write something incorporating that phrase? I couldn't resist It's here I can only say I'm profoundly sorry... Az

Remember how Marta mentioned over on the H-A list that as far as birthday drabbles were concerned this was clearly International Legolas Month, and challenged someone to write something incorporating that phrase? Not that you would have any way of knowing this, but... *points at Dwim* It was all her idea. Not mine! Hers. Of course if you want to blame me for "National Legolas Month" I'm not going to complain. That was hilarious. Marta

Not too late, Ti! I'm going to update the list at the top of this thread, and post at HA for you. But you may be getting some belated drabbles. (Sorry, I only just saw this.) I for one have some ideas but will shortly be going out so it will be tonight or tomorrow. Marta

I couldn't resist...I can only say I'm profoundly sorry... Bwhahahahahahahaha! OMG. LMAO here. Too funny. (now I think I'd like to read your fic, too!) Hannon le! ~Lady Aranel~

Re: International Legolas Month

Not that you would have any way of knowing this, but... *points at Dwim* It was all her idea. Not mine! Hers. Now why does that not surprise me?... Glad you enjoyed it

Bwhahahahahahahaha! OMG. LMAO here. Too funny. (now I think I'd like to read your fic, too!) I'm going to try to manage some Legolas romance in 100 words for your birthday... my Epic Beta Legolas/OFC Fic [SSP ] would take you considerably longer to read and hasn't even got to the romance yet!...

Re Fellow Travelers: "Indeed, but at least you may be certain I will not bite." Oh, pity Nic

Re: Happy birthday, Nickey!

Re Responsibility Eight pieces of toast - typical Pippin! And I did love the last line. Nic

That was great. I love Tom Lehrer, but never thought to see him linked to fan fic! Jay

Since I wrote two drabbles for Gwynnyd, Lady Aranel badgered me to write a second Legolas drabble for her (and all the other Legolas fans born in International Legolas Month). So I insisted she at least narrow it down by giving me another character for Legolas to interact with. Very helpfully, she suggested Faramir. And this was the result. And there make a garden The steward watched as the elf paced around the room, passionately expounding his ideas. He wondered if this was some kind of test on the part of the King. At last, Legolas ceased speaking. Faramir pointed to the map, covered with a tracery of notes and cross-hatchings added as the damage to the City had been surveyed. “Did you have a particular part of the City in mind for these plans?” Suddenly a smile lit Legolas’s face. “I believe the Prince of Ithilien is in need of assistance planning the garden in Emyn Arnen he promised to the White Lady….” Happy birthday (again) Lady A - sorry I won't be around on the day. Cheers, Liz

Suddenly a smile lit Legolas’s face. I am so smiling at this image of Legolas. It's wonderful! Thank you! ~Lady Aranel~

Now this is rather ironic ... How'd Liz and I both think connect Legolas with post-war gardening? Anywho, this is a birthday drabble from me, to both Avon and Lady Aranel, since I'll just be coming hom from holiday on the 13th, Lady Aranel's birthday. Thus, ladies, it may be hard, but you must share Legolas! Or at least take turns. I've included Aragorn for Avon, as well, albeit wearing his kingly name. Happy birthday to you both! ~ * ~ "The city blooms, Legolas," Elessar said, inhaling the fragrances of spring. Beside him a tall elf gazed contentedly on the changes peace had wrought. "Yes. Leaf and stone together. Look, the morning glories are halfway up the wall." Bell-shaped blossoms nodded in jeweled hues beneath the smiling sun. Legolas faced Elessar, his own smile widening. "Nor is the city all that blooms. The Evenstar has never looked more radiant." Astonishment wiped the king's face momentarily blank. "How did you - we have told no one!" "I see it in her eyes, my friend." Legolas' hand clasped Elessar's shoulder. "And in yours." ~ * ~ May your natal days be filled with joy! Erin

Az's International Legolas Month

I don't care if it isn't a drabble or even a double drabble, somehow, somewhen, this *must* be made public! (And yes, I actually did come up with the bulletin this month—I'll take the blame for this b-day song, no sweat; I would consider it a sort of perverse honor to the Socratic maieutic method...) Thank you very much, Az, for letting your song-fic muse break free again.

Thank you both, even though these weren't really mine! Jay :-) We're not going to have to give you birthday pressies, are we, Jay - you will have already had them. Avon

Thank you, Erin!

I'll settle for a half Legolas any day ;-) That's nice - I like to think about MT blooming after the war because the thought of a stone city makes me shudder ;-) I also liked that Legolas could see it in both proud parent's eyes. ;-) Avon

I loved those gardening drabbles! I've finally managed a double drabble with Merry, Pippin, Legolas and Aragorn, sp happy birthday to Gywnydd, Avon, Nickey and Lady Aranel. And to Ti although there's no Boromir or Faramir in this one. Oh, and it's a bit silly. How old? "No, older." "Come on, Pippin, he doesn't look much older than you." "Why don't we ask him? Loser buys the beer at the next inn we see?" "That could be a very long way," but Aragorn was smiling as he dropped back level with the two hobbits. "What is the wager?" "Legolas' age." "Ah," Aragorn nodded, pretending not to hear Legolas catch up to them. "Do you know?" "Yes, Merry, I do." "Tell us!" Merry and Pippin exclaimed at the same time. "Legolas might not want me to reveal it. Elves keep their ages a secret, you know." "We won't tell him you told us." "Well, if you promise." Aragorn bent down to whisper to the hobbits, "He is older than me, but younger than an Age." "Strider!" "I can tell you Aragorn's age to the day," Legolas said, giving Aragorn a wicked grin. "Traitor," Aragorn said as Merry and Pippin turned round, all thoughts of Legolas' age forgotten as the Elf whispered more quietly than Aragorn had. When Legolas straightened the hobbits gave Aragorn a pair of smirks and ran to tell Frodo and Sam. "And just what did you say, my friend?" Legolas' only answer was a smile.

*Lady Aranel looks around...* *Legolas smiles in drabbles abound* Very Very Happy me!!! Thank you Erin and Nic.. I'm having a happy week before my birthday indeed! These outstrip Hallmark any day! ~Lady Aranel~

Hiya! Been a while since I've drabbled, so I'm a bit out of practice. Oh, and this is actually a drabble and 3/4 (175 words) I hope no one minds. Legolas for Avon, Gwynnyd, and Lady Aranel (who can kind of be credited for this idea, when she asked "why is Legolas only carrying one knife?" in a great beta read she did for me! Happy Birthday all! Cheryl ******* “For you, muindor.” Legolas slowly reached out, his hand wrapping around the ivory hilt of the graceful, yet deadly knife. Amazed, he looked up, locking eyes with his brother. “Celeduil, this is yours. I cannot accept it.” The eldest son of Thranduil smiled. “I am a healer now, Legolas,” his hand closed around his brother’s as he gently pushed the knife to Legolas’ chest. “You carry its twin. They belong together, and your warrior skill is worthy of them both.” Legolas nodded before smoothly pulling the knife from its sheath. He tipped the blade, watching the evening sunlight reflect from its flawless edge. After a moment, he reached over his shoulder and easily pulled the knife’s mate from its place in front of his quiver. Legolas rolled his wrists, immediately noticing that not only were both blades perfectly balanced, but also they were also perfectly balanced to each other in both length and weight. Legolas’ smile broadened as he looked once again at his brother. “They do belong together, muindor. Le hannon.” Muindor = brother Le hannon = many thanks

Thanks, Paranoidangel!

That's great - you do dialogue so well! Avon

Thanks, Cheryl

Thank you for my share in that - very nice. Avon

content deleted by poster

and Lady Aranel (who can kind of be credited for this idea, when she asked "why is Legolas only carrying one knife?" in a great beta read she did for me! Ohhhhh! I was ever so glad to see this! Thank you, Cheryl! A very nice explanation indeed. So, where is more of this story? Huummmm? ~Lady Aranel~

So, where is more of this story? Huummmm? LOL! Patience, dear...I am working on it. Cheryl

Happy Birthday Avon, I hope you're having a great day. This isn't exactly Aragorn/Legolas friendship, but it's a beginning. Sorry it's not properly finished, it still needs beating into shape, but I wanted to post it whilst it's still the 7th.
Hidden Power There is something strange about this man, a hidden power that belies his rough appearance. He is one of the Dúnedain it is true; yet somehow different to any mortal I have met before. He captured this foul creature in Mordor and journeyed here at Mithrandir’s behest. Who is he that he would go where Elves fear to tread? Who is he that Mithrandir would trust him with such an errand? ‘Estel’ he names himself and speaks our tongue as one born to it. As I approach him he looks up, and his eyes seem to pierce my very soul.
Edited: I've made some small changes.

Happy Birthday, Avon! Hope this is something like what you had in mind. I couldn't keep Boromir out, of course, but it is Legolas/Aragorn friendship, among other things. It refused to stay a drabble, so I've put it up separately. It's Beta, so suggestions appreciated! Passages

Re: Thanks, Paranoidangel!

That's great - you do dialogue so well! Thank you. I do like the way I can get away with doing mostly dialogue by using the excuse of a word limit Nic

Flick! It may not be my birthday, but I like Passages all the same. Thanks for sharing it with all of us! Cheryl

Thank you, Flick!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! That's beautiful - Legolas, Aragorn and *Anduin* Wowee! I've printed it out and read it and am taking it to work with me in the hope I can read it again in the inevitable traffic jam and I love it. I will say something more coherent about ti later but I'm rushing to get to work for a choir rehearsal and have family over for dinner tonight - so it may be tomorrow. Thanks, Avon

Rainsong wrote: Am I posting this too soon? My birthday is on June 26th, and I know that's pretty far away. I like Celebrian and Miriel. Then I may be posting too soon as well. But Dwim encouraged me last night to try my hand at a drabble, and yours was the one that first caught hold of me. So here is my first-ever drabble, in honor of your birthday. I Watched Too Long These Waves I watched too long these waves; so high they are climbing, so fast at my feet. I longed to watch his failure, my husband’s. And his puppetmaster Sauron’s. Too long I stayed watching, joyful in the fall of this wicked people, once my people, my father’s. But The Faithful now are gone, gone to the fires or gone to the waves, gone in nine ships led by Elendil. Late I ran for the Meneltarma, where once we prayed. I cry out for salvation, but the waves run quicker than I. I watched too long these waves and now I die. --Ainaechoiriel

Then I may be posting too soon as well. But Dwim encouraged me last night to try my hand at a drabble, and yours was the one that first caught hold of me. So here is my first-ever drabble, in honor of your birthday. I Watched Too Long These Waves I watched too long these waves; so high they are climbing, so fast at my feet. I longed to watch his failure, my husband’s. And his puppetmaster Sauron’s. Too long I stayed watching, joyful in the fall of this wicked people, once my people, my father’s. But The Faithful now are gone, gone to the fires or gone to the waves, gone in nine ships led by Elendil. Late I ran for the Meneltarma, where once we prayed. I cry out for salvation, but the waves run quicker than I. I watched too long these waves and now I die. Thank you so much! That was beautiful! That's the first drabble I have ever gotten for my birthday! Thank you!

My birthday is June 7th as well, and I'd like anything hobbity, if I may? Merry in particular, I never think he gets enough attention. Hi, Nickey. I have a very specific idea for your birthday drabble just begging to be written. But I just haven't been able to make the time. I'm sorry, I do promise it's coming. But in it's place I'd like to offer you another Merry drabble. Perhaps not the happiest of moments, but I like to think it shows his character. I wrote it this afternoon for my "Sense and Sensibility" drabble series. "Can't Take His Medicine": Merry is healed, orc-fashion, by Ugluk as they cross the plains of Rohan. Marta

Re: Thank you, Erin!

I'll settle for a half Legolas any day ;-) That's nice - I like to think about MT blooming after the war because the thought of a stone city makes me shudder ;-) I also liked that Legolas could see it in both proud parent's eyes. ;-) Avon *SQUEE!! She liked it! You are very welcome! I hope you had a simply wonderful day. Cheers ~ Erin

*Lady Aranel looks around...* *Legolas smiles in drabbles abound* Very Very Happy me!!! Thank you Erin and Nic.. I'm having a happy week before my birthday indeed! These outstrip Hallmark any day! ~Lady Aranel~ Oh, you are VERY welcome! The best part is, too, the rest of us get to share in your prezzies. I'm rather fond of our elf, too. *G* May your entire week be wonderful! Cheers ~ Erin

Thank you so much! That was beautiful! That's the first drabble I have ever gotten for my birthday! Thank you! . Fitting, then, a first for a first. You're welcome! Do you really think it was good? Honestly? I've not written one before. Now I've written three (though really only 2 1/2 as one of them is the first draft of this one). --Ainaechoiriel

I've finally managed a double drabble with Merry, Pippin, Legolas and Aragorn, sp happy birthday to Gywnydd, Avon, Nickey and Lady Aranel. And to Ti although there's no Boromir or Faramir in this one. Oh, and it's a bit silly. It's lovely - didn't have time to come online yesterday, what with work and birthday punting up the Cherwell etc. but thank you so much! And exactly what did Legolas say? Avon, astral twin and all, a drabble's on its way, I promise, but Legolas - never written him, never even thought about him - but if you can do such a lovely Merry... Nickey

Re: Happy Birthday Nickey!

Here is Merry for you. Just a little over a Double Drabble. For a Little While Thank you, Blue Iris! This is such a lovely Merry, caring for all around him, as he always does. I always feel sorry for Merry always having to be the responsible one, but this is responsibility being a pleasure, thank you! Nickey

Re: Thank you, Flick!

Cheryl wrote: Flick! It may not be my birthday, but I like Passages all the same. Thanks for sharing it with all of us! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the fb. Avon wrote: ... and *Anduin* Wowee! I felt honor-bound to try to uphold my eddy in the Electronic Anduin. ;) I'm so pleased that you liked it. Hope your b'day was wondrous. :hugs: flick

Fitting, then, a first for a first. You're welcome! Do you really think it was good? Honestly? I've not written one before. Now I've written three (though really only 2 1/2 as one of them is the first draft of this one). --Ainaechoiriel I think it was more than good! It was excellent!

Here you go Avon, (and all who requested Legolas) - my first ever fics involving him. And because I am late, you get two for the price of one. (They sort of wrote themselves together somehow) Happy Birthday! Nickey Snow on Snow They both are deep in drifts so high their heads are little more than indentations in the snow. I look down and laugh for joy of the sight, turned back to darker paths though we are, for strong backs of Men, and light feet of Elves will yet prevail, and Fellowship will hold, through more than Caradhras’ spite. Although unlooked for, when first I set out from my father’s halls, I am now blessed, for I have found this friendship that blooms as flowers in the Spring, and proud am I, that now I have Men to call Elf-friend. “He laughs at us, Aragorn.” Boromir’s beard is full of snow, and yet I know that if I too were to smile, the proud Man of Gondor would not understand, would take it amiss that the laughter of an Elf comes whether one wills it or no, and the heart of a ranger lightens to hear it, even here, deep in the drifts of Caradhras’ malice. So, instead, I clasp his shoulder, as all the reassurance I can offer, and bend to shovel again with a will. I can smile then, secretly, into the snow. Legolas will understand my silence.

Hi, Nickey. I have a very specific idea for your birthday drabble just begging to be written. But I just haven't been able to make the time. I'm sorry, I do promise it's coming. Ooh, looking forward to it. Birthdays like this are so lovely! "Can't Take His Medicine": Merry is healed, orc-fashion, by Ugluk as they cross the plains of Rohan. I know it wasn't written for me, but definitely shows the sort of stuff Merry's made of, and I do love the darker side of things. Triumph through adversity and all that. Thank you, Nickey

I'm so far behind feedbacking these drabbles and so hayfevering I can't have a coherent thought before I sneeze and forget it, but all of these have been brilliant. I was thinking Legolas was actually quite a boring character before this month's drabbles but you're all doing a good job convincing me otherwise I also read your story, flick, but I was migrainy at the time so I don't remember anything about it at all, except that I enjoyed it. Nic

Re: June 2004 Babies: Avon

For Avon, sorry it's late - a shot at Legolas/Aragorn friendship. This is a sort of companion piece to 'Tokens', posted earlier in the thread. (And Nic - thanks for commenting on that one, and sorry I didn't reply sooner!) This should possibly be dubbed movieverse for Doubting!Aragorn Events I talk almost for my own ears. Those matters, half put by, that have re-awakened since I returned to the house of Elrond. The long trial of Númenor, the frailty of Isildur, my father's death and the remnant that is our claim. And Legolas, who sits still against an ash-trunk, lifts his head. His face within the hood might be that of a spotless youth, and yet he says, as if I related the events of yestereve, "I remember". It is not only I for whom this history has resonance; I do not talk to myself, but to my friend. Happy birthday for yesterday! Gemma

Boromir’s beard is full of snow, and yet I know that if I too were to smile, the proud Man of Gondor would not understand, would take it amiss that the laughter of an Elf comes whether one wills it or no, and the heart of a ranger lightens to hear it, even here, deep in the drifts of Caradhras’ malice. What a wonderful moment! Gorgeous paired drabbles, Nickey. So much snow and yet not at all cold. Gemma

Re: June 2004 babies

I think it was more than good! It was excellent! Thanks. I'll be happy to try to write some more drabbles, if the urget hits me now. --Ainaechoiriel

Re: Happy Birthday Nickey!

So Merry is remembering Theoden a bit at the end. Of course he is! *Slaps forehead* I'm not feeling bright this week, am I? Thank you even more for my thoughtful card. Nickey

For you, Rainsong, aTar-Míriel birthday drabble ******* Wrath Ulmo has unleashed the seas. Ravenous waves swell from the deeps, devouring our fragile shores. The hammers of Aulë thunder the earth, as the sky shudders and roils with Manwë’s bidding. Mortal arrogance crumbles before the will of the Valar. The cackling wind claws at the stone, shearing off jagged shards that rain on my skin like a thousand fiery stars. A wild cry grows within me, a blind and panicked thing that shrieks to be released. But it is not fear. It is joy. I shall give no gift to the usurper; his faithless seed will drown with me. ******** Important Note: I'm sorry, I know this is completely AU. A rabid little Nuzgul bit me, you see, saying “What if Míriel had been pregnant at the time of the sinking of Numenor…hmmmm, what might she do?” Seemed eminently plausible to me, and a wonderful hook for this little drabble. So I wrote it. Then, I checked my Silm…it would seem that both Míriel and Ar-Pharazôn were too advanced in years for a pregnancy to be likely. Ah well. I have posted it anyway. Comments always welcome! -Dinromeniel

Happy Birthday, Lady Aranel! I know I've already done a birthday drabble, but one can never have too much Legolas! This is an angsty piece I wrote a couple of weeks ago, about the sea-longing. The Longing I long for my home. I want to see the beeches again; to walk beneath their shade. I want to hear the wind among the branches; to see the stars between their leaves. I want to smell the scents of a misty autumn morning and feel the soft dew beneath my feet. Here in this city of stone I feel confined. The walls reflect the heat and constant clamour of humanity. But outside the walls the white gulls cry, and the Anduin leads to the Sea. I long for the tranquillity of the forest. Maybe then I will find peace. Jay

Happy Birthday Lady Aranel! Before your day I wrote you a drabble and 3/4. On your special day, here is a double drabble of Fourth Age Legolas (with some Gimli thrown in for good measure ) Funny, I wrote it without paying attention to word count and lo and behold it came out to exactly 200 words. Must be fate. This is my first attempt at Legolas and Gimli interaction. Anyway, Happy Birthday! As Jay said, "one can never have too much Legolas! (and BTW: That was a lovely drabble of sea longing, Jay!) ******* “Legolas?” Gimli slowly approached the elf, looking back and forth between his friend, and a gold-feathered arrow lodged in the tree in front of him. Gimli wiped an oiled cloth over his axe and stared up at the troubled elf. “It matters not, my friend.” Hesitantly, Legolas reached out, running his fingers over the arrow’s feathers before pulling it from the tree. “Nay, Master Dwarf, it matters greatly.” Gimli rolled his eyes in exasperation. “You missed one shot, Legolas! Your next arrow found its mark. Nothing ill came of it!” Anger replaced bewilderment as Legolas looked down at his friend. “If the next one had missed too, you’d be dead now, elvellon!” “Bah!” A mischievous glint appeared in the dwarf’s eyes. “No dwarf is ever blindsided by an orc!” Anger dissolving, Legolas mouth curled slightly in amusement. “Your ego is formidable, Gimli.” The dwarf’s grunt was non-committal. “So is your bow.” Legolas lifted the arrow, staring at its head. “I’ve not missed since I was a novice.” Gimli nodded and turned away. Stepping over the body of a slain orc, he paused, looking back at his friend. “No one is perfect, Legolas.” Smiling, Legolas returned the arrow to his quiver. ******* Okay, so is it only me that noticed that Legolas has never missed?? Cheryl

Thank you Jay and Cheryl for more of your wonderful work! I was really trying to nuzgul some others into participating, but seems that we are an elite group. I loved both of these new drabbles. Thank you! ~Lady Aranel~

YW, Lady A It's actually an idea that I've been kicking around in my head for a while now. I just needed a reason to write it. Cheryl

Re: Happy birthday, Lady A

This is first draft because Idon't want to be even later than I am - and it's a quadruple drabble which doesn't exist ;-) **********************8 “Another,” begs the child. ‘Another, Legolas, please, another!” “Patience, Eldarion,” I answer as I search for one more piece of bark discarded by the tree. He dances on the river bank, watching the small fleet sail away as my questing fingers find a long curling piece. Swiftly I twist the ends more tightly, tying them with a yellowed blade of grass, and then edge in two small twigs to hold open our boat. “Here.” I offer it to my small companion who, with his father’s air of command, stands over me. A smile graces me in return and then he is down dabbling in the mud at the river’s edge. All concentration he waits for a suitable river eddy, for a steady gust of wind, then pushes the delicate craft out into the river’s flow. With a quick stride, I am beside him, holding the tails of his coat as he stretches out. Aragorn will simply laugh if I return his son wet and muddy – but Arwen will wish to bring up every foolish deed of my youth. Together we watch the last of our flotilla out of sight, watch as it vanishes among sun ripples and little wind-ruffled waves. Eldarion leans back against me, his head against my hip. “They are going to the sea, aren’t they, Legolas?” I nod, though he cannot see me. “Yes, they will ride the river all the way to the coast where the gulls curl ropes in the sky and cry like lost souls, to where pale sand holds shells and bones of old, forgotten ships, down to the great salty sea where white waves and dolphins ride the green curls of water they will go…” The old ache of sea-longing cuts through me and I stop. The child turns to look at me and I see his father’s farsight in his eyes. He hugs my leg. “Tell me more – about the sea and where they go and about the sailors that see them. Tell me again about the land over the sea.” I lift him up, this child that I will never have, and walk back to the bank. We sit there, on grass bitten short by rabbit and sheep, and I tell him the stories that haunt my dreams. They will never be nightmares to this child of two worlds; his roots grow firmly here in the land of his father. *********************** Avon

Re: Happy birthday, Lady A

This is first draft because Idon't want to be even later than I am - and it's a quadruple drabble which doesn't exist ;-) Wow, Avon! Thank you. It's beautiful. I can easily picture them. ~Lady Aranel~

Attention! We're moving

To All B-day drabblers: You may have noticed that these threads are just a wee bit lengthy. This means longer load times. For those using dial up, that's really annoying. Even DSL people have noticed an extra second or two spent processing the data. So here's what we're going to do: When a b-day thread reaches 50 posts, the 51st will be in a new thread. So watch those numbers and start a new thread where necessary. We ask that the starter of the new thread copy and paste the *first* posting in the original thread into the first posting of the new thread (so all the requests are always at the top of the list). Then go ahead and copy-paste the text of whoever you were replying to into your own post (use italics or bold or a bunch of asterisks to set it off from your own comments). Ok? I'm going to go start the new thread for June so hold on a second before replying. Dwim

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum