Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: March 2004 Birthdays

March 2004 Birthdays

Is this your month? Then post your theme here, we'll be watching for it!

Re: March 2004 Babies

I'm a March baby, 10th of March to be exact. I'm not sure whether you can make a drabble just out of a favourite character, but my favourite characters are Glorfindel and Gil-Galad. What can you do with them? (Clean suggestions please!)

*another March baby trots in*

If anyone could do something with Aragorn and Arwen, it would make a most wonderful birthday card.

*groans that the drabble bunny isnt even remotely original*

Thank you, all.

Heh. Sphinx, you might want to check out this wee bit of fluff I posted last night:
Posterity
I must have read your mind!

I'm also a March baby, but am still pondering what sort of drabble to ask for.

Well, hm. Not only was I born on March 3, this year is my 33rd birthday, so I officially come of age in my Hobbit incarnation next week. I was thinking of requesting smut (and wouldn't turn it down ) but I think that something on coming of age would be nice. Doesn't have to be a Hobbit character...

Cel

I was thinking of requesting smut (and wouldn't turn it down ) but I think that something on coming of age would be nice. Doesn't have to be a Hobbit character...

Just for the record, these two are by no means mutually exclusive. And I or one would be rather interested to see how much smut people could do in a hundred words.

::runs off to bury head in calculus book::

Marta

Just for the record, these two are by no means mutually exclusive. And I or one would be rather interested to see how much smut people could do in a hundred words.

Quite true, quite true. I suppose in some cultures in fact the two link up rather nicely... So sure, if someone wanted to try it, I'd be delighted!

Cel

*Barbara slips in the room, looks around furtively, and, after seeing that she'd been noticed, clears her throat nervously...*

Um, I've never written a drabble myself, so I'm not sure how hard it is... but I suspect it's very hard, so I've been a little reluctant to make a request...

But I've been fascinated by the Oath of Cirion and Eorl, and would love to see what someone can do with it.

I was thinking along the lines of the thoughts of one of the people at the oath-taking ceremony on the Hill of Awe. It could be a main character, or a witness (there were several: the unnamed Prince of Dol Amroth, Hallas (Cirion's son), a couple of members of Cirion's Council, three of Eorl's chief captains (Éomund being one), and C&E's respective esquires. This info comes from Unfinished Tales, the chapter on Cirion and Eorl.)

What were their thoughts? Did they understand the implications? Were they surprised by the oath? What can possibly be fit into 100 words?

Thanks!

- Barbara

Um, I've never written a drabble myself, so I'm not sure how hard it is... but I suspect it's very hard, so I've been a little reluctant to make a request...

It's really not that hard -- they're quick, and actually really fun.

And just for the record, no one ever said these drabbles were going to be good. So never having written a drabble doesn't give you any excuse. It's the thought that counts, right?

What can possibly be fit into 100 words?

You'd be surprised...

There are some amazing drabblists (is that a word?) at HASA, and if they can compact a whole chapter of The Lord of the Rings down to a hundred words, I'm sure they can do something with the Oath.

Personally, I know very little about the Oath of Eorl other than the fact of what it accomplished (independence for Rohan, I believe?) but I may need an excuse to read up on it. Hmm... Rohan and Gondor? Yeah, I think I could get a hundred words out of that. Dol Amroth prince? Even better.

When's your birthday, love?

Cheers, Marta

It's really not that hard -- they're quick, and actually really fun.

Oh, good! That's a relief!

And just for the record, no one ever said these drabbles were going to be good.

LOL! I don't deliver perfection on demand, and I certainly don't expect it of anyone else! I'd just be tickled pink to see anything, really. Even if it had 99 words or 101 instead of 100...

When's your birthday, love?

March 14 will be my, um, er, mumbledy-second birthday...

This is a lovely idea, Marta, thanks!

- Barbara

Um, I've never written a drabble myself, so I'm not sure how hard it is... but I suspect it's very hard.

It gets easier with time. If you want to have a go hop on over to the Drabbles Forum, it has been quiet recently, but there are people there who would be happy to help you (many of them thought the same as you before they tried one).

Nic

Happy birthday, Barbara!

Honor

When Éorl and the Steward came down from that high hallow, those of the Éothéod who had come to camp hard by, following their lord, rose. Hwelc spell, hlaford? they cried. Sprecath ús!

And so Éorl led Cirion then before his people, and he spoke thus, in the Northern tongue: "Éothéod, among you I am first in honor. But here is one better, Cirion Boromirsson, for he fears not to swear friendship before the gods themselves. Therefore in your name I have said: here stand I by Gondor forever. Shall I be foresworn?"

And with one voice they cried: Næfre!

(Somewhat forced A-S: Hwelc spell, hlaford?...Sprecath ús!: "What news, lord? Speak to us!" Næfre!= Never!")

I pretty much lurk on the boards, and I *never* ask for birthday presents....

But hey, what the heck. My day is March 11. And I would love to see an exchange of any sort between Elboron and Eldarion, the Fathers of the 4th Age!

Thanks, Nic! I might check that out one of these days, when I've gotten past the two projects I'm working on now...

- Barbara

Oh, Dwim, that is... just... breathtaking!

I have goosebumps on my arms...what an emotional moment!

What a lovely birthday gift! Thank you so much!

- Barbara

(Not to mention, I am impressed as all get-out - you not only wrote such an evocative drabble, but included Anglo-Saxon, as well!)

You're welcome; I'm glad you liked it and thanks for pointing me back towards that passage. It was lovely to reread it. As for the A-S, I just hope it's correct, or the word count may get... funky. ;-) Happy birthday once more!

Hi Sphinx,

Confirmed Aragorn addict here, responding to a request for Aragorn and Arwen. Hope this suits you!

Sea Change

In the grey light, she stands straight and still on the rocks, the salt-breeze catching her hair. Her face is as a mirror—nothing of her in it, while below, the sea roars. Gulls wail as he asks gently, "Arwen?"

She turns; in a heartbeat he is beside her, called with a glance. "'Tis well, Estel, I am well," she murmurs. "I would but look, for the waters are silent without the Twilight."

Holding her tightly, Aragorn turns east towards the glitter. "Look, then," he says against her hair. "For you've gained the Dawn."

"I know," says she. And smiles.

Hi Snitchnipper

I would love to see an exchange of any sort between Elboron and Eldarion, the Fathers of the 4th Age!

darn, how could I resist that? (Although I did manage to resist making it mostly about their fathers, which was where it was heading at one point ) Anyway, I hope this fits the bill...

A new age

I watch as Elboron kneels and places his hands between Father’s. He rises Prince of Ithilien, Steward of Gondor. How strange to see his fair crown, in place of raven locks, bent by Father’s.

They both seemed as men in their prime, until the Prince gave back the gift.

One day, my father, too, will give back the gift. I cannot imagine the world without him.

Time wears slow here, yet I see suddenly the passing of an age. It is we who will carry the world forward. I am glad Elboron and his sons will be at my side.

Hey, Dwim!

Its lovely. It really, really is.

"Look, then," he says against her hair. "For you've gained the Dawn." The crux of the piece, I feel. You caught so much in that line.

Thanks so much

Sphinx, also a confirmed Aragorn addict

Oh, Liz! Wonderful!

What more can I say? Extremely evocative, as I expected.

Cheers, Marta

"Look, then," he says against her hair. "For you've gained the Dawn."

The crux of the piece, I feel. You caught so much in that line.

Thanks! I've been wanting to use that line for you have no idea how long. Well done, having a birthday just now and a request that let me get away with it. ;-)

Thanks so much

You're welcome!

And Liz, I love "Time wears slow here, yet I see suddenly the passing of an age. It is we who will carry the world forward."

And Liz, I love "Time wears slow here, yet I see suddenly the passing of an age. It is we who will carry the world forward."

Thanks, Dwim. I was thinking about how weird it would be for Eldarion (and Elboron to some extent) to have lived longer that most people do - and yet to have his parents so unchanged. I think Faramir's death and his childhood friend taking over would really bring home to Eldarion that he was going to lose his own parents one day. I was also thinking about how few people there would be left by that point who would have fought in the Ring War and remember it properly.

Yours was lovely too, by the way

Cheers, Liz

Soulhunter: [M]y favourite characters are Glorfindel and Gil-Galad. What can you do with them?

Nothing without throwing Elendil into the mix, but...

In The Balance...

The Dark Lord comes!

Serene amidst the havoc stands Gil-Galad, Aiglos, snow-point no longer, in hand. To the standard-bearers he says only: "Raise them high, that he may see." White Tree and White Stars fly together in hope. Narsil burns bright in Elendil's hand; eagerness is in the air, for the hour of truth is nigh.

But truth has another voice, and Glorfindel speaks to all and none, saying: "Rightly we stand against a Power in the World, yet it is not given to creatures that we should live who strike him down."

Silence. Until Gil-galad, calmly smiling, answers: "Násie."

Násie= Quenya for "This is so", or "So be it", depending on how you translate "Amen."

Happy birthday, Soulhunter!

*groans that the drabble bunny isn't even remotely original*

How about a drabble that's not original to this thread? I wrote it when we were drabbling the appendices for "The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen," but I think it fits here as well.

Just consider it a mathom.

The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen

Estel wandered through Elrond's lands,
Before he was called Dunadan,
And there he saw Undomiel,
The fairest maiden yet to dwell.

Forty and nine long years then passed
Before they stood on Amroth's grass.
He left that land to meet his fate,
Became a king both wise and great.

Fair Arwen chose Fírimar's doom,
Waited long for mortal groom;
Her people gone, her husband dead,
Away to Lórien she fled.

When mallorn leaves desert their trees,
And laggard elves turn to the seas,
Her last thoughts at Nimrodel's stream:
u-chebin estel amin.

~*~

So ends the tale of Arwen and Aragorn.

Cheers,
Marta

Oh, thank you very much!

What a lovely story, with just enough melancholy for the Pisces in me!

Snitchnipper--happy to be celebrating her birthday a week early...

You're welcome, Snitchnipper! Glad I struck the right tone.

Hope your actual birthday is a lot of fun.

Cheers, Liz

Marta -

Like the way the last line fits. It seemed to encompass all their history in such few words. Very nice.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Sphinx

Oh dear. Never challenge me with smut. Why do you most off the cuff remarks fill me with the Nuzgulim of fear? I can give you 100 words of Legolas smut, I am sure. LOL The question is would you want it?

Sure, why not? I just finished writing some Legolas!smut myself, though at considerably more than 100 words...

Sure, why not? I just finished writing some Legolas!smut myself, though at considerably more than 100 words...

Please do share the link! Happy Birthday, Cel!

Hannon le

Soft caresses rouse him from a dream. Moonlight streams through the window as he turns to welcome her trailing touch: across his stomach and down - her kisses follow. A sigh of encouragement escapes him.

Her mouth holds him captive. Arching his back, his hands clench the sheets. A sheen of sweat now bathes his skin. She drives him higher in need until a shattering of stars breaks over him in engulfing waves of pleasure. She smiles and slides to shelter against his side. He holds her in his arms gently.

"Hannon le, meleth nín," he whispers in her hair.

--------------------

Elvish translation - "Thank you, my love."

Ah... the link? It's on my own site just now, but I'll put it on HASA within the week - though it's slash, just to warn you. It's the most recent chapter of my story "Passages," and the chapter will be called "To Greet the Spring."

Thanks for the drabble, Lady Aranel! Enjoyed it!

Cel

So here again my first drabble. Happy birthday, Sphinx!

Entwining Fates

Fate assigned us different roads. You stride to your fate, even as I, having already embraced mine, sit weaving and watching. Waiting for the day when our paths will finally meet.

But who can say which course is the harder? To walk through peril and danger, with death as foe, an end of hope for Middle-earth? Or to welcome death with open arms, as hope for a new beginning?

I watch you from afar as your life thread unfolds, even as I weave these threads to a sign of hope. Linking the threads. Joining the roads. Uniting the sundered kindred.

Imhiriel

Dear Soulhunter,

I cheated - this is a double drabble. I hope you enjoy it anyway ;-)

Shades of Gold

I saw them - saw them as they stood in the late westering gold of the sun on the hills above Gorgoroth, the mighty captain and mightier king. One the Elf-lord returned from across the furthest seas, strong with power and all the grace the Valar can give, but yet bathed in joy; one the king who has stood staunch against Sauron’s temptation for mortals’ lifetimes untold. I saw them clasp hands as they parted, two golden shades - the bright bronzed gold of midsummer and the pale clear gold of dawn.

The next day’s forenoon I saw the golden ones again. I saw the one called Glorfindel walk through the darkness of the plains outside Mordor, hair braided back, face as dirty as any of ours, golden mantle stained and cut by blade. He walked as one who mourned and knew that there would be no end to his mourning. I saw him take the body of the slain king from the arms of his herald, cradle the palely shining king against his own golden breast and hold star-laid shield against him. I watched them as they left that place of foul darkness… two shades of gold once more.

Avon

PS: Thanks to AfterEver and Lyllyn for their help with finding me a battle ;-)

Happy Birthday, Sphinx. At least if you choose something that isn't original you get more cards

Fear and Hope

"Did your father speak with you?" he asked.

"Yes," she replied. "When we marry you will be King."

"It is better than we hoped," he said, taking her hands. "I feared he would not let you go."

"He would if I wished it." She knew if she pleaded with him she would be able to marry Aragorn sooner, but that she would not do, for he only wished to ensure it was truly what she wanted. "I fear," she continued, "that you will go and I will never see you again."

"Not when I have you to come back to."

Nic

For Elena Tiriel

Happy birthday, Barbara - two days early. Nothing flash (but thank you for giving me a reason to read that chapter). I think I need a break from writing drabbles - I'm getting really annoyed with the darneed 100 word limit! ;-)

The Joining

I gave the spear to my lord and watched him plant it in this silent hallow; watched too as he offered his sword to the gods before paying an obsequy to the ancient grave. I listened little to his words though as he swore fealty and friendship on behalf of us, now and forever. I needed not – there was nothing else to say to those who gave us a world, a hope, a future. Instead, I watched these dark men who speak in tongues unheard and carry the light of the stars - and are now a part of us

Avon

Re: For Elena Tiriel

Oh, my gosh! Avon, that is superb!

"those who gave us a world, a hope, a future."

That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?

Thank you so much!

- Barbara

Re: For Celandine Brandybuck

Happy belated birthday!

There's a coming-of-age [HEH!] drabble for you here.

A little smutty. Slash. Hobbits. Hope that 's OK!

"Yes," she replied. "When we marry you will be King."

I really like this sentence. Is somehow reverses the point, the condition that Elrond has. Arwen is so sure that they will succeed, she doesn't say "if", but "when", and she doesn't say "you will have to be king" but "you will be king."
Very poignant.

Imhiriel

Re: For Celandine Brandybuck

A little smutty. Slash. Hobbits. Hope that 's OK!

What, you think I'm going to object?

Cel

Thank you, Imhiriel. It always seemed to me that Aragorn and Elrond were certain he would be king.

Nic

Hannon le

Soft caresses rouse him from a dream. Moonlight streams through the window as he turns to welcome her trailing touch: across his stomach and down - her kisses follow. A sigh of encouragement escapes him.

Her mouth holds him captive. Arching his back, his hands clench the sheets. A sheen of sweat now bathes his skin. She drives him higher in need until a shattering of stars breaks over him in engulfing waves of pleasure. She smiles and slides to shelter against his side. He holds her in his arms gently.

"Hannon le, meleth nín," he whispers in her hair.

Oh, very nice - and I like the added touch of mystery that we don't know who the participants are. This is not smut - it's beautifully done.

Jay

I finally have broken down & come up with a couple of ideas for tomorrow (my birthday is something I try to ignore nowadays).

I would like to see what Goldberry's thoughts were when she first saw Frodo; or what Merry, Pippin or Sam were thinking as they prepared to leave the Shire (no slash, please).

Regina

well happy birthday, Regina. I'll try to come up with something for you. Twenty-five is an auspicious birthday, is it not?

How nice! I so look forward to the day I reach that number.

With tongue firmly planted in cheek,

Lindorien

Oh - and since its Goldberry, I've an awful feeling that rhyme ending in -illo might be part of this.

Oh dear - if you'd rather I didn't just say so.

Goldberry, Frodo, Goldberry, Frodo.

Ariel wrote a really cool fic about the two of them - sorta made me look at them both in a new light.

Maybe I should stick to merry pippin and sam.

Maybe I should just keep my fingers happily typing elsewhere.

I'll shut up now.

LOL, Lin! Whatever floats your boat!

And I love Ariel's story--in fact I can claim the considerable privilege of being its dedicatee.

Regina

So--may I ask where my card is? Hmmm?

Regina (waiting somewhat impatiently)

Sorry, Regina - perhaps we don't have enough Hobbit-loving drabble writers? We should - they're both verra short so seem to me to go together nicely ;-)

Avon

Regina

I mis-read yours and wound up with Pippin's thoughts as he *actually* left the Shire. Sorry about that. I also didn't manage to pack enough in, I think.

The way grows darker and dimmer. The trees drip damply on us and I shiver. Frodo asks,

“Are you cold?”

I shake my head fiercely – no!

I am – cold, damp and scared of these trees that breath malice – but no colder than he. I am not here to be looked after – to be the baby.

“Scared?”

I force a smile. “Of this overgrown firewood?”

It has taken every threat and promise I could command to convince Merry that I should come. Always I have trailed him, trying to catch up and I will be as old as them, I swear

Avon

Hello Regina,

I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

I imagined this drabble from Merry's POV, but it could actually be either of the "conspirators", I think.

Leave-taking

Staring at the almost empty sheet of paper in front of me, I wonder if I should speak to my parents personally.

Who knows how long it will take to accomplish this task – whatever it actually entails. Another question I couldn’t even answer for myself. How then should I speak of it to others? And should I add to their burden of not knowing of our whereabouts by telling them that this adventure will most likely be more dangerous than they could ever imagine? Is it better to say nothing at all?

Still doubting, I tear the letter to pieces.

Comments, criticisms and otherwise, welcome. I'm unsure about the last sentence. Does it express enough about Merry's insecurity and doubt about telling nothing at all?

Imhiriel

Thank you, Avon & Imhiriel--these are both lovely & very in character. And Imhiriel, that last line is very good indeed. You must be psychic--I have a three-part story planned showing Pippin, Merry, & Sam at the point of departure, & Merry will be writing a letter to his parents. Great minds do think alike! I asked for them because I was very curious to see how everyone else might see them (my take on hobbits isn't anyone else's, I think).

Thank you both again for a splendid birthday present.

Regina

So--may I ask where my card is? Hmmm?

It's coming. It's coming.

Quality takes time.

Shlock takes longer.

and, no, none of those lines are part of the drabble.

at least, I don't think so.

thinking thinking thinking

Lindorien

And Imhiriel, that last line is very good indeed. You must be psychic--I have a three-part story planned showing Pippin, Merry, & Sam at the point of departure, & Merry will be writing a letter to his parents.

Oh, that's neat! I'm very glad you liked the drabble, and that it coincided with your own ponderings.

Great minds do think alike!

Hee, I'm feeling really flattered. If you say so !

Imhiriel

I've left this until the last minute, but then my birthday is the last day of March so hopefully that's okay...

I would love to read drabbles about the relationship between Aragorn & Boromir. Any subject or rating, gen or slash.

Hello, Forodwaith... I would love to read drabbles about the relationship between Aragorn & Boromir. Any subject or rating, gen or slash. Wonderful topic. You inspired me. The Steward and the King Thorongil leaned back against the marble wall, his lips curling into a smile as the future steward played before him. "Who are you fighting?" he asked, trying to hide his amusement. The child looked over his shoulder, teetering to one side. The captain from the north reached out his hand, steadying the child. "Orcs," Boromir answered. "Father says we must always be ready." The wooden sword jabbed the air; soon he was off again. Thorongil brushed the tears from his eyes. That babes should know that truth… yet, here was valour in which he could trust Gondor. Cheers, Marta

I'll be late because I'm out at the Australian Swimming Championships all day atm - but I'd love to do that one if you don't mind a late birthday present.

Avon

Yay, presents!

Thank you, Marta - I'm always intrigued by stories of the time Aragorn spent as Thorongil.

And Avon, I look forward to reading yours whenever you have time.

Happt late birthday, Fordwaith!

I watched you sleep in Lorien, - a fevered, restless sleep; hand clasping and unclasping sword-hilt, lips muttering broken, unheard words. I watched as you lay awake, darkness in your eyes. You carry your own peril into Lorien, but I sorrowed for your danger. You are of my own kind – Mortal, weak and yet powerful. We are to whom the Ring sings its silent song.

Power…. Knowledge…. Strength….

I hear it too – its dark promises and shadowed call. I know its power. I guard myself, gird myself and fight my frailty - yet cannot save you.

I watch you fall.

Avon

Avon, I like that - very powerful.

Oh, lovely!

Thanks, Avon.

Imhiriel - This is lovely! Thank you so much. I am floored by the last paragraph. Nic - I had simply not thought of a dialogue drabble, but I enjoyed the simplicity of this very much. All the better to convey the emotion within. Thank you! I haven't been around much, and I missed these completely. I'm so, so sorry. *quiet squee* Thank you, *both*. Very, very apologetic, Sphinx

Thank you! I did have to re-read mine to remember what you're talking about I hadn't noticed you hadn't replied though, so you've got off there Nic

Imhiriel - This is lovely! Thank you so much. I am floored by the last paragraph. Thank you so much for the compliment! This drabble really means much to me, and to then have it praised - weeee ! I haven't been around much, and I missed these completely. I'm so, so sorry. No need to apologize. I'm glad you saw them now, at least, and could enjoy them. Imhiriel

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum