Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Description of the Haladin

Description of the Haladin

I know that in the Silm they are mentioned as 'Like to them were the woodland folk of Haleth, but they were of lesser stature, and less eager for lore'. 'Them' in this case I interpret as meaning the House of Beor. (Last page of 'Of the Coming of Men into the West', if anyone is looking for the reference).

Does this mean that the Haladin tended to be dark haired/grey eyed as well? Are there any other descriptions of them? I'm particularly interested in Haleth herself.

Thanks.

Re: Description of the Haladin

Does this mean that the Haladin tended to be dark haired/grey eyed as well? Are there any other descriptions of them? I'm particularly interested in Haleth herself.

I would read this to mean that they were. I can't find any other physical description of Haleth except in UT were she is described as "a reknowned Amazon with a picked bodyguard of women." (UT Part 4: Chapter 1 - the Druedain)
In the footnotes it says that the people of Haleth were of smaller stature than the men of the House of Beor, just as in The Silmarillion, and it mentions the women warriors again.

I don't know if this is of any help or not. Maybe someone who has a copy of the Peoples of M-e would have more on her.

~Nessime

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum