Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Valarin years - yeni?

Valarin years - yeni?

Elves sometimes measure time in the 144-year yen/yeni.  Does anyone know if the Valar used the same measurement, or had a Valarin year or something?

RAKSHA

Re: Valarin years - yeni?

Hi Raksha!

Elves sometimes measure time in the 144-year yen/yeni.  Does anyone know if the Valar used the same measurement, or had a Valarin year or something?

I believe the counting by 6's and 12's was mentioned  as specifically pertaining to the Elves. However, according to the HASA research article, "Calendars of Middle-earth", which you can find here (you must be logged in to view it):

A Year of the Trees (or Year of the Valar) was the same length as ten Years of the Sun; a Valian Age was 100 Valian Years, or 1000 of our years. (HoMe vol. 4, p. 312) 

If you need the exact quote from  HoME 4, I can get it for you, but I've found this research article to be accurate in the areas I've used it for.

Hope this helps!

- Barbara

Thanx much, Barbara; this is just what I needed.  I thought I'd looked for an article on calendars at HASA, but maybe I forgot...

RAKSHA

Hi Raksha,

Thanx much, Barbara; this is just what I needed.  I thought I'd looked for an article on calendars at HASA, but maybe I forgot...

You're welcome!

Since we had those horrible attacks on the site, we had to disable the full-text search in the Research Library, so it's somewhat harder to find things... and research articles tend to be a bit hidden, anyway. So don't feel bad that you didn't find it.

I'm glad the info helped!

- Barbara

Why would someone attack this site? That is just sick (or random, as is probably the case).

Anyway, I thought that a Valarin Age was 1000 Valarin Years, or 10,000 Years?

I guess that I need to go check HoME as well.

MB 

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum