Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Gloin - Date of Death?

Gloin - Date of Death?

Did Tolkien ever give the date for Gloin's death?

Re: Gloin - Date of Death?

Did Tolkien ever give the date for Gloin's death?

Yes! In Appendix A, in "The Line of the Dwarves of Erebor as it was set out by Gimli Glóin's son for King Elessar" (in other words, the family tree ), the entry for Glóin says he was born in Third Age 2783, and died in Fourth Age 15.

Gimli's dates are given as 2879 to IV 120, but that is the date of his sailing to the Undying Lands with Legolas, not necessarily his true death date.

Hope this helps!

- Barbara

entry for Glóin says he was born in Third Age 2783, and died in Fourth Age 15.

Thank you!  I knew I'd seen it somewhere.  I was looking in the Timeline rather than the family tree and coming up a blank.  Unfortunately, 15 F.A. is too early for the purposes I wanted.  Oh well . . .

Thank you! I knew I'd seen it somewhere.

You're welcome! It was such a relief to be asked a question that I knew Tolkien had answered... somewhere....

- Barbara

Sorry to hear the dates don't fit.  But if the idea is good enough, you could go AU.

From the HoME materials on Dwarves, they rarely live much longer (or less) than 250 years.  (I suspect this is a design feature/artifact: once mature, they change very little until around 240, then go grey and age fairly rapidly.  They do not go bald, Tolkien says.)  The only significant exception was one of the companions of Thorin--Balin, I believe--who broke 300, but this was apparently extraordinary.  (I wonder what Tolkien meant by that.)

Gimli himself would have been 260 when he sailed West with Legolas.

Cheers--

Adaneth

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum