Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Gimli & Legolas post-ROTK

Gimli & Legolas post-ROTK

I would swear that at one point I read something about Gimli and Legolas travelling around together, visiting foreign lands, that kind of thing -- but of course now that I want that info, I can't seem to find it anywhere! So, am I completely off my nut (about this)? Is it just the imaginings of my own fevered brain? ....little frustrated right now, if ya couldn't tell.

Re: Gimli & Legolas post-ROTK

In the Fields of Cormallen, Legolas mentions that he intends to bring some Elves to Ithilien, and that the "land will be blessed" for a while. Typical Elf. Anyway, they do visit the Glittering Caves (in "Many Partings", I think), which Legolas was at first loathe to do, and at some point, when his sea-longing takes hold, Legolas and Gimli sail away to the Undying Lands. Gimli, I believe, is the first Dwarf to make the journey, and it's unclear how he is given permission to do so, given he's not "replacing" anyone, as Frodo did by taking Arwen's place on the journey. Hope that helps.

Anyway, they do visit the Glittering Caves (in "Many Partings", I think), which Legolas was at first loathe to do, and at some point, when his sea-longing takes hold, Legolas and Gimli sail away to the Undying Lands. That I remember, but my brain insists that it recalls something about the two "travelling" sometime after visiting Fangorn/the Glittering Caves but before sailing into the West. I would assume this is some time after the reconstruction is well underway or perhaps finished. I don't know why I care so much -- it's for an A/U anyhow.

I think I've got some of it. From Many Partings (emphasis added): 'Come Gimli!' said Legolas. `Now by Fangorn's leave I will visit the deep places of the Entwood and see such trees as are nowhere else to be found in Middle-earth. You shall come with me and keep your word; and thus we will journey on together to our own lands in Mirkwood and beyond.' To this Gimli agreed, though with no great delight, it seemed. From Appendix A: After the fall of Sauron, Gimli brought south a part of the Dwarf-folk of Erebor, and he became Lord of the Glittering Caves. He and his people did great works in Gondor and Rohan ... Legolas his friend also brought south Elves out of Greenwood, and they dwelt in Ithilien, and it became once again the fairest country in all the westlands. And supposedly, Galadriel was likely Gimli's `in' to the biggest party west of Middle-earth.

You shall come with me and keep your word; and thus we will journey on together to our own lands in Mirkwood and beyond.' To this Gimli agreed, though with no great delight, it seemed. That sounds like enough to back up my idea, for an A/U, at least. Thanks! I found that bit in the appendices, but totally didn't look in the actual story part --dork that I am. Oh, and if you were still wondering, there's a thingie on Rath Dinen on page..er..6 of this forum!

Thanks!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum