Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Going lame - another horsey question

Going lame - another horsey question

Some while back when trying to work out a plot point in a fic I asked (in a topic called "Horses going lame" if anyone wants to check back) about various causes of lameness and how severe the result would be, etc. Having finally *got* to that chapter, and decided that for the revised plot point I'm going with, what the horse is going to do is tread on a stone and get a bruise, I could now do with knowing: How does a mare who's just trodden on a sharp stone react - the equine equivalent of me hopping around yelling "Ow, ow, blast, that hurt"? Would she pull up short? Stumble and then stop dead? Refuse to be moved on at all, or walk on but stumble or favour the bruised hoof? I don't need much, just a line or two to be convincing... Cheers, Az

Re: Going lame - another horsey question

I don’t know if you still need this, but I asked my daughter (who knows about horses) your question. Her answer was - it depends partly on the horse’s personality and also on whether the horse is in danger (need for flight) when it happens. If there is no danger she would probably pull back and stop. She might toss her head, prance and snort. She would probably keep going when prompted, but limp, depending on how bad the bruise is. An uncooperative horse would react more strongly. If the horse stumbles she might hurt the muscles in her foot/lower leg as well and she might have a harder time continuing on. If there is danger, the horse is more likely to stumble; possibly even throw the rider. If the horse senses danger it is more likely to keep going without protest, but that risks further injury. Unless it is crucial to flee, the rider would usually dismount and examine the hoof, and probably walk the horse from point. If on a long journey the horse might need to be walked for a couple of days or to the nearest town/homestead for medical attention or to trade the horse. Well, I hope that helps, Ithildin *(

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum