Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Percival Snood will not do...

Percival Snood will not do...

Okay, this is mainly for Barbara (but anyone can join in). I have a fic piece and one of my original Hobbit characters is named "Percival Snood." Now, young Snood does not have much of a part. I don't think he even has a line, but as Barbara informed me, Percival Snood does not seem much of a Hobbit name. So if anyone would like to help out by suggesting some fun Hobbit names I might try? It has to be an OC... all ready nicked a few of Tolkein's characters for this piece and I wanted an unknown. Has to be male. But first, the story behind "Percival Snood." I am an elementary teacher, and Percival Snood is a name I use for my allegorical naughty child. Sort of the antithesis of "What would Jesus Do." When I want to impress upon my students behaviors that are NOT acceptable under any circumstances, I talk about my non-existant student, "Percival Snood" who manages to get everything wrong. In this way, I don't have to use any of their names, or the names of any one they are likely to know.... However, who knows, maybe one day I will have a Percival Snood in my room, and then what will I do? LOL! Hobbit names anyone?

Re: Percival Snood will not do...

as Barbara informed me, Percival Snood does not seem much of a Hobbit name. LOL! I think that I "opined" rather than "informed", but what's a few words among friends... Your Percival Snood sounds like quite a character! Reminds me very much of Daw the Minstrel's OC, Turgon... I'll find some obscure Hobbit surnames, and get back to you soon... - Barbara

How about Wilcome Boffin? Both "Wilcome" and "Boffin" are used in Tolkien's works, and I like the ever-so-slightly risqué sound of it... Here's a list of Hobbit surnames whose families we know little (or nothing) about: Hobbits of Bree: Banks, Brockhouse, Longholes, Sandheaver, Tunnelly, Underhill Relations of Samwise: Greenhand, Roper Families that we don't know much about: Grubb, Chubb, Hornblower, Proudfoot, Bracegirdle, Goodbody, Burrows, Goold, Goldworthy, Goodchild, Banks, Bunce, Brownlock, Brockhouse I thought that the surname "Heathertoes" was a merry Hobbit name, until I discovered that it belonged to a Man. Hope this helps! - Barbara

Yes! Much thanks... Now I get to play a bit and decide on one. Fee

I thought that the surname "Heathertoes" was a merry Hobbit name, until I discovered that it belonged to a Man. Aw! That ought to be a Hobbit name...well, there was both an Elf Haldir and a Man Haldir, so I feel like you could cross that one over if you wanted

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum