Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Elvish Translation....Part 2

Elvish Translation....Part 2

Well, here I am again, confused by Sindarin. I'm trying to say "Thank You" in Sindarin, but I've found some inconsistancies on the Sindarin phrase. One place says: Le hannon! ..... I thank you! While another says: I thank you ~ Hannon le So....which is it? *she asks with a very confused look on her face* Is this a variation that occurs depending on which elves you're speaking to? If so, which would be used in Mirkwood? Thanks for any opinions or insights to clear this up for me! Cheryl

Re: Elvish Translation....Part 2

I can well understand your confusion! From what I have read it seems that _hannon le_ was constructed by Tolkien linguist David Salo for the movies. Other linguists argue that Tolkien’s writings indicate that the pronoun should rather precede the verb here, resulting in _le hannon_. Still others, especially those most directly involved in studying Tolkien’s yet-unpublished notes, say neither is correct, that Salo’s rendering of _hannon_ as representing ‘thank” is incorrect. But no reliable alternative has been published to date. Some use “hennaid” for thanks – but that too is rendered from the same source as _hannon_. Both are Neo-Sindarin and probably neither is really ‘correct’ so, basically – take your pick. From the language forums I visit I get the impression that _le hannon_ is considered more correct by many knowledgeable people. But on the other hand, the movie version is probably more popular. Ithildin *(

Re: Elvish Translation....Part 2

Both are Neo-Sindarin and probably neither is really ‘correct’ so, basically – take your pick. From the language forums I visit I get the impression that _le hannon_ is considered more correct by many knowledgeable people. But on the other hand, the movie version is probably more popular. So, in other words, which to use is as clear as mud? I think I'll choose le hannon it rolls off the tongue nicer and sounds more "musical." Thanks so much for the information, Ithildin! Cheryl

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum