Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Tom Bombidill

Tom Bombidill

who or what is tom bombidill. from his elvesh name we know that it means eldest and fatherless. my qestion is eldest what. for we know that in two towers gandalf says treebeerd is the oldest living creature in ME so where and what dose that make Tom? one of the valar? i dought that but littel else makes sense. any advice would be much appciated sorry for the spelling

Re: Tom Bombidill

Tom Bombadil is a mystery. Tolkien says: "And even in a mythical Age there must be some enigmas, as there always are. Tom Bombadil is one (intentionally)." -The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, No 144, dated 1954 I always kind of thought that Tom was the embodiment of Ilúvatar until I read this: "There is no embodiment of the One, of God, who indeed remains remote, outside the World, and only directly accessible to the Valar or Rulers." -The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien No 181, dated 1956 So anyway, what is Tom Bombadil? I found two essays that are interesting reading that you may want to check out: What Is Tom Bombadil? Who is Tom Bombadil? Hope this helps!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum