Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: translation issues

translation issues

I have translated two Sindarin phrases for a story I'm working on, and would like to know if these translations make sense. I did not know Sindarin prior to writing this story and am basing these translations on the information at the Ardalambion site.

The two phrases, followed by how I've translated them in [[double brackets]].

1. "This is not a dream, halfling." [[ "Hé béa aloloth, perian"]]

2. "They will die, and you, this night." [[ "Hein belantha, a le, hi du"]]

Also, for another story -- does anyone know how you would say in Black Speech (or in some other language that would be spoken by the Nazgul) the command "Open!"?

Thanks,

Marta

Re: translation issues

Sindarin translations of the phrases you requested:

Sen ú-nâ ôl, perian.
This is not a dream, halfling.

Dú sen, hain a le gwannathar.
This night, they and you will die.

Hope this helps,
Ithildin

Re: translation issues

Also, for another story -- does anyone know how you would say in Black Speech (or in some other language that would be spoken by the Nazgul) the command "Open!"?

As far as I know, there's nothing attested, but you could try extrapolating something based on Tolkien's statement in appendix F to LotR: "they [Sauron's servants] had no language of their own, but took what they could of other tongues and perverted it to their own liking, yet they made only brutal jargons, scarcely sufficient even for their own needs, unless it were for curses and abuse."

So taking the Sindarin word edro- and considering the research that Helge Fauskanger has done into the phonology of the Black Speech, you could extract something like udro-, or perhaps, to make it uglier, udrogh- or udrozg- (bear in mind that these changes are almost entirely arbitrary).

-Aerlinnel

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum