Forum: Fileg's stories

Discussing: the electronic anduin

the electronic anduin

When I came in the door here just about 5 weeks ago, I thought – aha! I will be able to see not only stories, but process – people exchanging bits and ideas, people somewhere in the world awake at the same ridiculous hour when I like to sit up and type discussing whether to change a word or a punctuation mark, sparking ideas off each other… who knows what I might learn! Maybe I will even stick one tiny toe in the electronic Anduin – maybe a poem – who would notice a poem…one little poem among so many lovely words… a really, really obscure poem…. And Alawa outed me in about an hour.

Poetry! These maniacs read poetry! And send you feedback!

It has been nonstop since then – but today! Oh, today was unbelievable. I don’t know if any of you don’t wish to be outed in turn, so I will just say -

Somewhere to the south, a sharing of names led me to see my own words in someone else’s hand give me a thrill of reality I never expected. Halfway around the world, an obscure form of poetry was being embraced. I saw my name – my very own writing name – appear in a bone chilling bit of fiction – and it lead to me channeling a poem I can barely believe came from me and sending it off to a different hemisphere – and this evening it came back to me in another piece of fiction from another place unimaginably far away-

World wide web indeed! Every strand touches another strand, our words striking sparks off each other as the sun’s terminator scrapes across another time zone.

My Mother was right - sharing is good!
You guys are maniacs!!! I love it here!!!

Re: the electronic anduin

*waves happily from the middle of the electronic anduin*

Good thing we all took all those swimming lessons and remembered to breathe

Avon

Oh Avon!

Well, thank you for re-awakening a dormant interest in poetry! I'd forgotten how lovely verse could sound until I read your pieces on Beruthiel's cats. I read it originally because it was about Beruthiel but ended up being entranced by the form itself.
And throughout the day today I couldn't help but remeber how lovely Home by Morning sounded when I was reading it yesterday.
Thank you for obeying your mother and sharing your work

Good thing we all took all those swimming lessons and remembered to breathe

And thanks for showing us how! Although I think I've still not completely recovered, and am sort of spluttering water all over, so much these things have touched me, and so much I've enjoyed this week. This electronic Anduin is a place I definitely don't want to leave!

The thrill of seeing how you can reach someone else so far away with your words must be the most amazing feeling. To see these images in our heads, and as we go about doing some thing or other the thoughts just linger, and when you come back to your computer you share, and we all share. It is one big extended conversation, and a very enriching one, at that. Or, should we say, a very good swimming lesson?

This electronic Anduin is a place I definitely don't want to leave!

The thrill of seeing how you can reach someone else so far away with your words must be the most amazing feeling.

*Splashes happily in the electronic Anduin*

And now I've had another of those electric spark moments by seeing Starlight make pictures with Colours of the Forest beyond the edges of my story... I just so love the way this thing is going across continents, ages, languages and everything. Who needs wizards? This is magic!

Avon

Acacea

Well, thank you for re-awakening a dormant interest in poetry! I'd forgotten how lovely verse could sound until I read your pieces on Beruthiel's cats. I read it originally because it was about Beruthiel but ended up being entranced by the form itself.
And throughout the day today I couldn't help but remember how lovely Home by Morning sounded when I was reading it yesterday.
Thank you for obeying your mother and sharing your work

Thanks so much! It always surprises me that people don’t think they like verse, when most of them like to sing and know a bunch of songs! I blame the way it is taught – the triolets are so easy to digest – you are hardly even aware the dark words may give you heartburn later! If Beruthiel got you to like them, we must thank whoever wrote up that challenge, because I don’t think I would have come up with it on my own – but once someone said – love poetry to cats, I was SO there!

I think Home is very accessible - It could be read as a very dark work, but as you can see, it doesn’t seem to be having that effect – it isn’t hard to figure out or understand – it just give a little power boost to something we want to say. And we learn to use it - Home would be much darker if Avon had not let her ranger live, even though she would not have had to change a word.

Starlight and Avon –

-- happily splashing about –

Dave Carter, writer and illuminated being, whose loss hit me so hard this last summer, one told me “Music and Love are the only two kinds of magic most people are not afraid to admit they believe in.”

He was talking about the sharing – the sharing of hearts, the sharing of ideas, the sharing of words. It is magic – words are magic! The entire thought of them, that I can write something down, and someone else can understand it –

And the current of the river taking a message in a bottle and delivering them at what seems like the speed of light- and bringing new words home… wow.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is closed to the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

« Back to Fileg's stories