Forum: Challenges Fundraiser

Discussing: Story Pledge Challenge

Story Pledge Challenge

Hello HASA members and readers!

A HASA member recently sent in a proposal for a site fundraiser, and it is great! Here's the basic plan:

1. We use a Nuzgûl or Oliphaunt challenge, or perhaps come up with a new one.
  2. The challenge starts May 1 and runs until June 1.
  3. Authors write a story to meet the challenge prompt.
  4. These challenge entries will be featured on HASA's home page in place of the usual reviewed stories as soon as there are three entries and will remain on the home page all during the challenge.
  5. Readers will offer pledges for each story that is posted to the Challenge - they have to be a full story, not just a story placeholder.
  6. For each dollar raised in story pledges, HASA's Secret Admirer will put up a matching dollar, up to $500.

So, how would this work? Let's say there are 10 stories that get written for the challenge, and there are 10 readers who pledge money for each story. Let's say that 5 of those readers pledge $1 per story up to $10, 4 readers pledge $5 per story up to $25, and 1 reader pledges $10 per story up to $100.

• The first five readers would give $10 each, for a total of $50.
  • The next 4 readers would each give $25, their upper limit being 5 stories at $5 each, for a total of $100.
  • The final reader would give $100, $10 for each story.
  • Our Secret Admirer would match the $250 in pledges with another $250, for a fundraiser total of $500.

Each person pledging to give has complete control over how much she'll donate. We do ask that a minimum pledge amount be $1.00 per story, but you can say how much you will give per story and what your maximum donation amount will be, no matter how many stories.

For authors, we ask that the story be new to HASA and at least 500 words, though longer is fine, too! If you have a few drabbles to put together, that's perfectly OK. We also ask that it be exclusive to HASA during the month of the pledge challenge. All genres, ratings, and characters are accepted.

We have a few suggestions for the challenge prompts, but would like author input on the final choice:

Is one of these more popular than the others? Is there a better Nuzgûl/Oliphaunt? Does someone have a new challenge prompt?

Post your comments, questions and ideas below. We will work on this for the next few weeks until there is consensus, and plan to launch the new challenge on May 1.

Anglachel

Re: Story Pledge Challenge

I may not have time or inspiration to write anything for any of the Nuzgûl in the list (still posting and in some case finishing my B2MEM stories), but I'll be happy to put up a pledge for $5 per story (up to $30 total), so come May, get writing!

I plan to write something for the "Oh! The Library" Nuzgûl, at the very least.  I'll also pledge, but haven't figured out how much yet!

I'm sorry if I'm being particularly dense here- but I don't think I "get" the challenge. Do I have to pay to take part, or...?

Good question! And the answer is: no, as a writer, you don't pay to take part.

If you want to write a story for the Challenge, you pick one of the prompts and write a story (min. 500 words), and the people who put up pledges are the ones who make the donation: so, you write a story. I have pledged to put up $5 for each story that is written (to a maximum of $30, so six stories in total). Others will have pledged different amounts and different maximums, and they all put in their donations for each story.

Does that clarify it a bit?

Perfectly, Nath- I wholeheartedly support this, as it will hopefully give my Muse the kick up the backside she deserves and get me writing again! Laugh out loud

Always glad to assist in activating muses Laugh out loudYou little devil!

I have an original story that I would be glad to post. It's set in Ithilien during the Fourth Age and is about 1200 words. Does it have to fit an existing challenge prompt?

Does it have to fit an existing challenge prompt?

That is usually the idea with challenges *g*, but as it's not May yet, we're still taking suggestions for challenge prompts... (also: Ithilien...  Fourth Age... Sounds like the 'Adjustments' prompt to me Who, me? )

Does it have to fit an existing challenge prompt?

That is something we can hash out here in the comment thread!

We started this with an idea that authors would write some original stories for a challenge and readers (who are often authors themselves) would pledge to pony up a few dollars for each new story that got posted, up to a maximum donation amount. For posting their new stories here on HASA, the authors get home page exposure, too.  The more stories that get written, the more pledges get filled, the more stories appear on the home page and everyone wins!

The four challenges listed above are suggestions to prompt authors' imaginations, and as far as I'm concerned you can write whatever you like as long as it is original and at least 500 words.

So, who's up to the challenge? Linaewen, Aruthir and RiverOtter have ideas - what's on your mind? Grin

Anglachel

I am finding myself drawn to "Skin Changers" and would like to take on the challenge of posting a story under that category. And no doubt my skin changer will have feathers rather than fur. Ang, are you hoping for consensus on which of the Nuzgul/oliphants will be the topic, or all all four that you mentioned options? 

Aiwendiel

Hi Aiwendiel,

Given what people have said in the forum and in private emails, I don't think we'll pick just one. I plan to set up a new challenge that will offer those up as suggestions for prompts, but authors can write anything that moves them as long as it is:

• A new story
  • 500 words or more (sets of drabbles are perfectly acceptable, and we'll be lenient on poetry for word count)
  • Is exclusive to HASA during May

Something I want to emphasize is that every story written for the Challenge will get featured on the HASA home page as an extra incentive for writing. I'm currently working on a rotator that will cycle through the story list so each story has a nice amount of time every day on the home page.

I look forward to reading your story! Grin

Ang

The Story Pledge Challenge is now open. Please post any questions you have about the challenge to this forum.

Thank you! Cool!

Anglachel

The HASA home page has been modified to display the Story Pledge Challenge entries. As new entries are made, the set will change, but the entire group of entires will be available through the new story carousel.

Authors, get your entries in and enjoy some HASA home page spotlight through the month of May!

Anglachel

I think I might be a little confused over amount of pledge vs # of stories. Do I have to pledge an amount for each story? Do I have the liberty to pledge for stories I like? Don't like?

If I say I'm going to pledge up to a certain amount, I kind of figured it meant that it would be divided equally depending upon the # of stories submitted.

Say there are 20 stories submitted and I've pledge up to $100 -- that would mean I'd pledge $5 per story. Or else, I'd pledge ??? for any story about Gondor???

As I said, I'm confused, but it is a little late here on the east coast... and I've a bottle of Dorwinion at my side....

I may be totally, totally wrong so hopefully moderators will give a definitive answer but I actually thought the choice was yours.

Let's say, I agree to pledge 10 bucks a story.  So for ever story a writer submits I'll kick in ten bucks up to my limit.  whether or not I particularly like it.  Or I could simply pledge money on the stories I like.  Lastly I think I could say hey "I'll match any pledges on submitted stories up to 100 bucks" so no matter what stories get pledges it's more bang for the buck.

Now I could be totally wrong.  LOL and it would not be the first time.

Hi Agape,

Argh!!!! I had a whole post written and then I hit the wrong key and lost it. It's been a crappy day today is all I can say. Frown (Have any of that Dorwinion left? I could use a sip or two...)

The challenge works like this. Authors write original works, enter them in the Challenge, and promise to not post the stories anywhere except HASA for the month of May. For each story entered, readers pledge to donate a certain dollar amount, anything from $1 per story to however generous they are feeling, to HASA at end of May. They can put a cap on the total donations they will give so they don't break the bank. For example, Nath will give $5/story up to a total of $50.

If you'd like to give a total of $100, you can say "However many stories there are, I will donate $100 and divide that amount evenly," or you can say, "I'll give $1/$5/$10/etc per story, up to a maximum of $100." Yes, you can say you'll donate $10 for each story set in Gondor. You could even say, "I'll give $100 if there are 10 or more entries in the challenge," or something like that.

The only kind of donation we can't accept is one that gives even a hint that you're paying for a particular story. That comes close to paying people for the works, and that might get us into trouble with the copyright lawyers who want to be sure no one but New Line makes any money off the content. That's always the balance with fanfic. The companies that own the stuff  actually like for us to write and drum up interest, but they don't want us taking away any revenues. In the context of the challenge, this means you can't pick and choose which stores earn a pledge based on whether you like them or the author. It has to be something general (such as being set in Gondor or answering one of the four suggested story prompts or featuring a specific character) that anyone can choose to write about.

Mostly, I'd like to encourage HASA authors to write something new and add it to the challenge. Reward your readers with a May gift! The more stories that get entered, the more hosting costs get paid and the more fun will be had for everyone. It doesn't even have to be a finished work - works in progress are totally cool for this challenge. Pick up reader interest early on your newest story by getting it on the home page in May.

I hope this clears up some of the uncertainty. And THANK YOU for your pledge! Grin

Anglachel

I have an idea for a Nuzgul or Oliphaunt that doesn't seem to fit any existing ones, but think might be neat for this challenge:

The War of Wrath made the Ring War seem like a skirmish, and must have been thought (at the time) to be "the war to end all wars."  It was also the only opportunity Mortals had to observe the Valar in-action, up close, and at length.  How did it's survivors feel?  Proud?  Scarred?  Both?  For the Amanyar or Noldorin Exiles, did it change the way they felt about the Valar, and if so, how?

Hi maeglin,

Interesting idea... I'll see if the Muse will bite...

No-one minds if I post another story to this challenge, I hope?

Oops!  I meant to pledge a payment for this challenge, but didn't get round to it ... but better late than never, yes?

So embarassed!

Jay

Hi Jay,

Never too late! I got the donation and will post it shortly.

Ang

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges Fundraiser